Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Codsticker's Historicals: Fun With Plastic!(and now metal)

Chapter Master

Re: Codsticker's Historicals: Fun With Plastic!(and now metal)

Woot! Good job and nice progress!
    Do you like free wargames?
    http://bloodandspectacles.blogspot.com/

Chapter Master

Great looking cavalry unit!

Oof, I'm late to this party. Subbed.

Here is a pic of the Battalia Not great lighting so I have edited it a bit and it's not turned out great.
    Quote Originally Posted by Salty
    What the Modsticker said.

Very cool. Where are you going from here? Artillery?

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Dan View Post
    Very cool. Where are you going from here? Artillery?
    Right now I am working on a command stand. After that I will probably start work on another Battalia. I am aiming to represent the Royalist forces that relieved the siege of Newark in 1644. I just purchased Partizan Press's English Civil War Scenarios, vol 2. It is fantastic; a lot of research has gone into the book and - as hard information is almost non-existent- they provide the most likely troops involved, their deployment and any information regarding colours and coat colours. The scenarios are designed to be played with their own ECW rules but the OOB's are easily translated to other rule sets. I will be doing so for Pike and Shotte as that is the rule book I have.

Great collection.

Quote Originally Posted by Engel View Post
    Great collection.
    Thank you, judging by the Partizan book I am about a third of the way there.

Progress on Rupert's staff for the command stand:

fantastic work, the Battalia looks great all together.
    Senex Puerilis- just your average model making blog.

Played a game of Victory Without Quarter this evening. The minis were not mine, both armies were from Jeff's collection of late 16thC Italian forces. Not specific forces, just a meeting engagement.
    Here is our initial deployment from my right flank:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Victory without Quarter 001.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	474.3 KB 
ID:	216660
    A cavalry brigade under a "reckless" commander (he will command units to charge if within range):

Name:	Victory without Quarter 002.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	476.0 KB 
ID:	216661
    My left wing; a couple of units of foot face down some on coming cavalry:

Name:	Victory without Quarter 007.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	486.9 KB 
ID:	216662
    Several turns later my centre starts to disintegrate; two units of foot have disappeared as well as the cavalry in my General's brigade:

Name:	Victory without Quarter 010.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	440.0 KB 
ID:	216663
    At this point the game was over but we played on a few extra turns.

I can't say I really enjoyed the rules, however it was my first time and I don't think my opponents had a lot of experience with them either so we probably stuffed up quite a bit, but these are my first impressions. A number of aspects of the rules contribute to many units sitting around doing nothing for a long period of time; units are activated when their card is drawn or their Brigade Commander's card is drawn and he is within 6". We weren't clear on this, but depending on the order, he can give the brigade an order (as long as all units perform the same order) or he can give one unit one order and he can move. There is also a End Turn card, which seems like a common feature of this type of game; the cards are re-shuffled and a new turn starts which means units can sit for several turns as the deck gets reshuffled before their card is drawn. In an extreme case, my opponent's general went 14 turns without being activated. On the other hand there are two Artillery cards in the deck, and when one is drawn all artillery on the table fire so the most common feature of this battle was artillery firing. Shaken units can do nothing until rallied which can only be done by a Commander giving them an order; however if they are within 12" of enemy musket (which is maximum range) they cannot be rallied and just stand there dithering which means they can effectively block the actions of units behind them as being unable act when their card or their Commander's card is drawn.

I found cavalry a little too fragile in this game; I understand they aren't as hardy as blocks of foot but combining the fact that foot get a 4+ save versus shooting wheres as cavalry get none- except at long range- and the way casualties are assessed (three unsaved "wounds" from one shooting activation results in a casualty; once a unit has acquired as many casualties as it has bases the unit is removed from play; a foot unit has three bases and a cavalry unit two) meant that a single round of shooting from one foot unit was all that was required to remove a unit of cavalry from the table. Resolving casualties/taking a morale checks was different when shooting with Artillery than shooting with muskets, I am not sure why- perhaps one of the areas we didn't get straight.

Anyway, we are all going to give the rules a good go-over before we play it again just to make sure we are getting things right. Hard to get a fair assessment out of one game but my initial impressions are not favourable.
    Last edited by Codsticker; 07-07-2015 at 06:40.

Well I just had a chance to actually read the rules. Two things that we did wrong were:
    - Cavalry have a charge range that is greater than their move.
    - Foot do not have a standard 4+ save against shooting (I don't know where they got that idea from).

These two factors alone would redress the imbalance regarding the survivability of foot and horse regiments.
    Quote Originally Posted by mrtn View Post
    Good to hear of games that are not as fun as well. Maybe you should just go back to P&S?
    I would love to use P&S but these fellas are fairly married to rules that are either free or they already own. I will suggest it once we have played a few other games.

I am enjoying exploring other rules though; you discover some neat things and learn more about what you don't like.

Units sitting around is the issue I found with ww2 RoE; you just have a mexican standoff of no one wanting to give up a position until the last minute.

Realistic? Maybe.
    Boring for a game? Most certainly.

You can always tweak certain rules to help improve these things.

Sent from my Z30 using Tapatalk
    I have too many project armies to list...
    Check out my Painting Blog! Comments/Criticism welcome! Historicals, 40k, Fantasy and more! - 2016 Model Count: 68 Bought/10 Painted
    Tabletop Showcase A forum dedicated to wargaming project logs!
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemonia View Post
    In other words as a rock player I find that changes to scissors are fair, balanced and reasonable but that paper has been made too strong in this edition and should be nerfed.

Quote Originally Posted by Kisanis View Post
    Units sitting around is the issue I found with ww2 RoE; you just have a mexican standoff of no one wanting to give up a position until the last minute.

Realistic? Maybe.
    Boring for a game? Most certainly.

You can always tweak certain rules to help improve these things.

I am not even sure it is all that realistic. Sure some units would stall out but many would also react some how, especially commanders. I would like to play a couple more games (properly) to really get a good sense of the rules.

Thats fair. Especially if the main sticking point for enjoyment was a total misunderstanding like you said.

Nice models as always btw.

I have too many project armies to list...
    Check out my Painting Blog! Comments/Criticism welcome! Historicals, 40k, Fantasy and more! - 2016 Model Count: 68 Bought/10 Painted
    Tabletop Showcase A forum dedicated to wargaming project logs!
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemonia View Post
    In other words as a rock player I find that changes to scissors are fair, balanced and reasonable but that paper has been made too strong in this edition and should be nerfed.

Quote Originally Posted by Codsticker View Post
    I am enjoying exploring other rules though; you discover some neat things and learn more about what you don't like.
    That's what it's all aboot. Very interesting hearing about those rules. Yeah, the End Turn card thing seems to be rather common with card activation systems. Of course it can lead to extreme situations, but in my experience it's pretty even. Not that I ever played Victory Without Quarter but I generally prefer games in which that could happen rather than having assured that every single unit gets to move once each turn (6" each turn, if things get really bad). To what degree people like that kind of friction is up to their judgement of course.

But yeah, the beauty of card activation is that you can tweak the decks. If you feel that units don't do things as often as they should you could get rid of End Turn cards (if there are multiples) or try playing without them at all (if the guys allow.). Same with artillery. I think that realizing these things that would have made the game go very differently is important. It's impossible to get a rules set absolutely right on the first go. A wise man once said that even though first impressions rarely betray you, to give a rule set a fair chance you have to play it at least twice. And good thing you stick with that. So far I didn't hear anything bad about the League of Augsburg's games, maybe it all evens out once you get deeper into the rules.

The table looks great by the way. I really dig the "book under blanket" kind of hills lately. It gives you proper big hills at least.

The command minis look really fun, especially the guy with the helmet. Battalia picture is pretty as well!

Quote Originally Posted by sigur View Post
    A wise man once said that even though first impressions rarely betray you, to give a rule set a fair chance you have to play it at least twice.
    Yeah, he sounds really smart! That is a good point about manipulating card decks; probably the easiest way to alter a game without resorting to house rules.

I have been thinking about the whole notion of giving orders and not having troops respond the way you want them too quite a bit since this game. In a system like Pike and Shot where orders are issued, I would think that they would have to be given every turn, even if you don't want the unit to do anything (ie. "Rupert's Foot, hold."). The possibility of them doing something other than what they are ordered to do resides in the failed command roll.
    The command minis look really fun, especially the guy with the helmet. Battalia picture is pretty as well!
    Yeah, they are very nice minis to paint. My favourite is the fella in the middle. They are actually finished now, I just have to paint the commander himself but I got distracted painting more rank and file.

Quote Originally Posted by Codsticker View Post
    ..., I just have to paint the commander himself but I got distracted painting more rank and file.
    Never ever a bad thing.

Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast