Thread: Codsticker's Historicals: Fun With Plastic!(and now metal)

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Codsticker's Historicals: Fun With Plastic!(and now metal)

We played a another ECW game using the Warr Without An Enemie rules. The core of the rules is the use of Command Points and the acquisition of Disruption Points; there never seemed to be enough CP's but DP's were quite easy to come by. Units are formed of bases, figures per base is not important and base size is also not that big a factor as long as both armies are based the same. Infantry and Cavalry are allocated a rating depending on their type. For cavalry, ratings range from C2 for Pistoliers to C4 for Gallopers; the higher number indicating the proficiency in melee the lower proficiency in shooting; it is also a factor in the Resolve Charges phase. Infantry range from I1 to I7 with 1 being entirely shooting focused and 7 having no firearms.

Generals have randomly determined CP's each turn which they can spend during any phase to move themselves as well as issue new orders to a unit, rally routing units or inspire the troops in combat. For example, one of the orders you can issue is "Advance to Fire Combat" and the unit so ordered will advance every turn until it is withing range and the proceed to shoot or it's order is changed.

Disruption Points, are like I said easily accumulated, through movement, crossing obstacles, taking hits, etc. For example, if a unit attempts to change formation it will acquire a DP; if it rolls a one for movement (which is random- between 1 and 4 D6 depending on the type of unit) it will acquire a DP. Once a unit reaches 5 DP's, any subsequent DP's received from combat or shooting results in the loss of a base. DP's can be reduced by "resting" a unit or the expenditure of CP's.

The rules are not professionally written; I found some of the wording a little awkward sometimes and unclear at others however the examples often cleared up any uncertainty. Having said that, the rules play much better than they read if that makes any sense. One of the interesting facets of the rules was the amount of attention paid to charging. Many factors are involved in just sorting out the affects of a charge yet by comparison melee and shooting were quite straight forward, perhaps even a little sparse. Another unusual aspect of the rules, one that I believe speeds play up, is that both players perform their actions simultaneously. There is about 12 phases to to a turn but since both players are doing each phase at the same time the turns pass quicker than you would think looking at them on paper.

Probably most importantly, despite a few small factors I found odd, the rules gave a very believable result based on our understanding of warfare in the period.

Deployment. This is a suggested scenario from the Warr Without An Enemie website, based on a specific battle during the ECW- the battle of Southam. Royalist in the foreground , Parliamentarian attackers in the distance.

Turn 1, the Royalist cavalry advance hard on the left flank. Leading with a Raw Elite unit may have turned out to be a mistake:

Turn 2. This angle shows the Parliamentarian Cavalry fleeing as a result of the Royalist charge. We initially played this wrong (I think); we had them fleeing at the end of the resolve Charges Phase when in fact we should have waited until the Combat phase. It did not matter though- when I we re-played it the result was the same.

Turn 3. On the other flank, I attempt to do the same thing. However I have to wheel my cavalry around to get them out of the cannons fire and acquired some DP's which would dampen my charge a few turns later.

Turn 4. Again from the royalist right flank you can see the little DP markers my opponent made which were very handy. The Parliamentary cavalry in column facing the Royalist cavlary. In the distance you can see my Raw Gallopers pursuing their defeated enemy, never to return. The Veteran Cavalry behind them would have had a much better chance of reigning in their enthusiasm and returning to the battle.
    Last edited by Codsticker; 17-08-2015 at 01:08.
    Quote Originally Posted by Salty
    What the Modsticker said.