Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: 3d modelling bits

3d modelling bits

For a while now I've been working on some ships, as you can see here. Apparently the lovely fellows over at Resin Addicts liked it so much that I got a few offers in to have them produce it, I also managed to get a possible 3d modelling commission out of it.

However, high quality 3d printing is expensive. Shapeways doesn't offer the quality I need for this project. This means I have to go elsewhere, which means the rates go up. In order to finance this I'm planning on making separate bits that could either be sold through Shapeways or whatever party wants to print/cast the models. I know companies such as Chapterhouse, MaxMini, Kromlech and so on are quite successful with their sales of bits which are compatible with other stuff in the market. The whole =I=munda craze has inspired me, and whilst I'm not that great a modeller/painter, I do want to offer my support in some way...

Here the first of many. It's still a WIP, more details need to be added to it. The blade is a separate part by the way.

Needs a few more details, such as an exhaust and some details on the front part and then it's good to go I think.

Next would be a few other close combat weapons/tools based on this 'hull'. The wheel removed and the round part on the front as well, and other stuff could be added, be it a drill, grabber, etc.

After these weapons will be shields and armour plates.
    Bits Blitz - the place to be for all your bits needs!

Space ship design project

Troll Forged Miniatures

Sciror

Re: 3d modelling bits

In the meantime I've been adding more details to the buzz saw:

Troll Forged Miniatures

Sciror

By the way, a small update on the weapon:

Troll Forged Miniatures

Sciror

I quickly put this together:

Troll Forged Miniatures

Sciror

Spinning clockwise or counter-clockwise, there will be a lot of feedback/bouncing, when the weapon hits its target. So I decided to go for two blades that spin in opposite directions, see below.

I've tried to make a double blade, and made four versions. At the moment I'm favouring C or D, thing is that it does make the weapon very wide, which will be a bit of a challenge to fix (counter weight, etc).

This is kinda where I need your feedback? Which of these four should I go for?

Troll Forged Miniatures

Sciror

I like the details you added to the cement saw in post 3. Personally I like the saw blade the way it was in that one. I think that doing two blades side by side would be clunky and it wouldn't really function in the real world since there would only be one axle for both blades to spin on. If you are worried about about kickback from the blade, you might want to redesign the forward handle to look more like real-world cement saws.
    "Oh great and mightly emperor whose light protects us all, the forces of chaos are nearing the palace, tell us what must we do to repause them.
    A rumble is heard in the distance and the entire palace begins to groan.
    As the dust of ages slowly falls from his body and his aura which seemed bright grows radiant beyond imagining, He begins to speak with a voice of thunder, " FORM FEET AND LEGS"
    The Tyranids don't hate. They don't yearn or care or fear. They can't be reasoned with.

How about this though?

Troll Forged Miniatures

Sciror

That's some kind of demon sorcery.
    "Oh great and mightly emperor whose light protects us all, the forces of chaos are nearing the palace, tell us what must we do to repause them.
    A rumble is heard in the distance and the entire palace begins to groan.
    As the dust of ages slowly falls from his body and his aura which seemed bright grows radiant beyond imagining, He begins to speak with a voice of thunder, " FORM FEET AND LEGS"
    The Tyranids don't hate. They don't yearn or care or fear. They can't be reasoned with.

Haha, I know right!

However, I think I will stick with a single blade for this version, it just looks cooler. Whilst some sort of realism is important, the 'rule of cool' shouldn't be forgotten when it comes to this sort of thing.

I am planning on making more buzz saw bits, so they could perhaps have dual blades and what not.

Which reminds me, any requests for bits?

Troll Forged Miniatures

Sciror

Small update:

The first wheels (3cm diameter and 1.5cm diameter) are available on Shapeways: LINK.

The entire device will be ready in the coming days.
    Last edited by malika; 08-10-2013 at 11:59.

Troll Forged Miniatures

Sciror

Look what else is ready...

Troll Forged Miniatures

Sciror

I've tweaked the buzz saw weapon a bit to make it more print friendly.

Troll Forged Miniatures

Sciror

I started working on some swords, twenty different kinds, each with its own engravings in the blade.

Sadly enough the 3d printer can't handle the level of detail, so sadly enough the swords will have to be without the engravings. This means the swords will need some serious redesigning...

Troll Forged Miniatures

Sciror

Brontes Assault Boats

Named after an ancient deity for thunder, the Brontes Assault Boat has become somewhat of a rare sight amongst naval forces. With other types of assault boats becoming more standardized, the Brontes is currently only carried by the oldest of battleships. However, elite forces often still use the Brontes due to its additional armor.

Troll Forged Miniatures

Sciror

Aquila Hammers

Smaller than conventional war hammers, the Aquila Hammer can be used with one hand. For this reason it is quite common for warriors to wield two such hammers when fighting heretics, aliens and horrors much worse. Kit includes 5 Aquila Hammers, suitable for 28mm to 35mm scaled miniatures. Each hammer is around 13.4mm high and 14.4mm wide.

Troll Forged Miniatures

Sciror

Pretty awesome stuff there, amazing how far people have gone with 3D printing considering how new it is. What software do you use to make the models? I understand there are a number of different 3D programmes you can download for free, is this one of those or a more sophisticated one?

I'm using the easiest of them all: SketchUp. Great thing is that it's free too! Downside of it is that it's pretty lousy for more curved/organic shapes, eventhough I did see some people pulling it off.

In the meantime I got inspired into doing something else! This time I blame it on this. For a while now I've been tempted to design a bunch of robots and sell them on Shapeways. This would be a side project of a sorts: no big narrative (as in storyline), nothing too dark/serious. It's primarily a fun and light hearted thing. I want the robots to have something scrapyard-like to them, but also something rather cute, almost cartoony...

I've started working on one, there will be the usual challenges:
    1) how do I keep the printing costs as low as possible?
    2) how far can I go with the detailing?

Here an early WIP:

Legs still need to be added and then I need to go through some additional details. I'd imagine the complete model to stand at about 4-5 centimeters.

Troll Forged Miniatures

Sciror

So I continued working on this little fellow. It's almost done, but I'm not really happy about the feet and legs yet. Any suggestions?

Troll Forged Miniatures

Sciror

Monkeytroll over at DakkaDakka ordered and painted my Buzz Saw and Spiked Gauntlets (Frosted Ultra Detail):

Troll Forged Miniatures

Sciror

In the meantime, I quickly doodled this together, as a distraction:

It needs a lot of tweaking, tried to put it on Shapeways, but it mentions there are all sorts of thin parts which need to be fixed. Above that, printing it is too expensive at the moment. Will probably try to make it multipart, so that you can add the shelves in yourself. That way I can hollow out the books.

Troll Forged Miniatures

Sciror

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast