Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: The Tale of 40k Painters 2013-2014: MONTH 1 (Sep completed & Oct WIP)

The Tale of 40k Painters 2013-2014: MONTH 1 (Sep completed & Oct WIP)

Welcome to the Tale of 40k Painters 2013-2014!

What is the Tale all about?
    The goal of the Tale of Painters is to get an army fully painted within the next 12 months.

For most 40k armies the size will be somewhere between 1000 and 2000 points, but you can go higher if you want to (and you're crazy enough)! AI, BFG and Epic armies will be slightly different, but as long as you choose an appropriate sized army for your game system then there's no problem.

Once you've chosen your army, your target is to paint roughly 10% of your army each month. For example, if you've chosen a 2000 point army then your monthly target would be 200 points. The Tale runs for one year (September 2013 to August 2014), so if you stick to your 10% monthly target then you'll only need to paint for 10 months of the year.

To cover the months when you can't/don't paint, you get 2 Jokers. You can play a Joker at any time (provided you haven't used them both up!), which essentially means that you don't have to meet your target for that month. They can used for real life events (such as births, deaths, marriages, exams, holidays) or if you're just having a bad/slow month. If you use a Joker then feel free to post a suitable image instead (of a Joker or something funny).

What is this thread all about?
    This thread is for completed entries for last month (up until the 10th) and work in progress (WIP) for this month (from the 11th). Please only post completed work for last month until the 10th.

From the 11th, feel free to post any WIP pictures of what you're going to be painting this month, army lists, background stories, battle reports, questions, and comments on anyone else's posts. You can post as little or as much as you like in the thread, but please keep it WIP from the 11th of the month. Do not post any completed work for this month until after the next thread opens at the start of next month.

If you have not posted by the 11th of the month, then you will have to play one of your Jokers. If you have failed to post by the 11th of the month and have already played both of your Jokers, then unfortunately you will be out of the Tale.

Frequently Asked Questions
    Q : Am I too Late? Can I still Join in?
    A : No, you're not too late and yes, you can still join in! Just post in this thread stating which army and how many points you would like to paint, and I'll add you to the list in the second post. Please aim to paint at least 1000 points in total.

Q : Do I have to stick to just one army? What about allies?
    A : No, you can paint more than one army or include allies if you want to! If you fall into this category then just list each army you wish to paint when you sign up, or list which army your allies will be taken from. Please aim to paint at least 1000 points for each army. For the purposes of multiple armies, as long as you aim for 10% of your combined total each month then it doesn't matter what order you paint things in. You could paint 10% of each army each month, or alternate armies each month, or 5 months of one army followed by 5 months of another army, or whatever combination best suits you.

Q : Can I paint more than 10% of my army in a month?
    A : Yes, you aren't bound by the rules of the Tale, and it's great to get ahead. BUT, we would like you only to post (approx) 10% each month to try to stay on track (and to not depress those of us who are struggling to keep up). If your character/tank/unit is over 10% of your army you could simply paint him/it/them over several months. For example, an Ork Stompa (600 points) could be split into 3 months of 200 points. Please post new WIP shots each month though, so we can see what you're up to.

Q : Can I paint less than 10% of my army in a month?
    A : Yes, you aren't bound by the rules of the Tale. BUT, we would like you to try to stay on track by painting more points in the next month to 'catch up'. For example, if you can only manage to post 5% one month then you could try to post 15% the next month. Equally if you paint more one month you can take it easy and paint less the next month.

Q : Do I have to use my 2 Jokers during the Tale? Can I 'buy back' my Jokers during the Tale?
    A : No, you don't have to use them and yes, you can 'buy back' your Jokers. If you can manage to paint/post for the full 12 months then congratulations, you'll have exceeded your target and truly embodied the spirit of the Tale! If you have already played a Joker and manage to get a month ahead (either by painting double one month or painting a bit more for a few months), then just state in your monthly entry that you wish to 'buy back' your Joker.

Q : What's with the D6 roll in your post?
    A : The D6 roll was an idea introduced to help ensure that everyone gets some comments on their work. If everyone rolls a D6 when they post (I use the D&D dice roller if I don't have a D6 to hand), then we should have six roughly equal groups each month. Then, if you comment on those people who rolled the same as you everyone will receive some feedback. So, if you roll a 1, comment on all of the other 1's, if you rolled a 2, comment on all of the other 2's, and so on. Of course, if you have the time/want to, there's nothing stopping you from commenting on anyone's/everyone's work.

If anyone has any other questions please ask them, and either myself or one of the many Tale veterans will try to answer them. Also, links to previous Tales (and the current one) are in my signature for anyone who wants to see what we get up to.
    The Tale of 40k Painters
    Year 1a (07-08)/Year 1b (07-08), Year 2 (08-09), Year 3 (09-10), Year 4 (10-11), Year 5 (11-12), Year 6 (12-13), Year 7 (13-14), Year 8 (14-15), Year 9 (15-16)

Orks (~14,000pts) - W:37 L:29 D:14, Dark Eldar (~5,000pts) - W:17 L:20 D:5, Chaos Space Marines (~2,000pts) - W:6 L:14 D:4

Re: The Tale of 40k Painters 2013-2014: MONTH 1 (Sep completed & Oct WIP)

Here is a list of everyone who is in the Tale of 40k Painters 2013-2014 at the moment:

AndiNeedham - Necrons - 0/1500 (0 Jokers played)
    anthrax1990 - Sisters of Battle - 144/1000 (0 Jokers played)
    anthrax1990 - Dark Eldar - 0/1000 (1 Jokers played)
    ASSASSINAWOKEN - Blood Angels - 0/1000 (1 Jokers played)
    Badgobbla - Eldar - 150/1500 (0 Jokers played)
    Badgobbla - Chaos Daemons - 227/1500 (0 Jokers played)
    Belakor - Chaos Space Marines (Black Legion) - 175/2000 (0 Jokers played)
    blazed99 - Tau Empire - 0/1000 (1 Jokers played)
    Cal585 - Space Marines (Marines Errant) - 0/1500 (1 Jokers played)
    childsoldier - Imperial Guard - 0/1500 (0 Jokers played)
    colonel kane trine - Chaos Space Marines (Death Guard) - 203/2000 (0 Jokers played)
    colonel kane trine - Chaos Daemons (Nurgle) - 315/2000 (0 Jokers played)
    cpl_hicks - Dark Angels - 0/750 (1 Jokers played)
    cpl_hicks - Horus Heresy (Death Guard) - 0/750 (1 Jokers played)
    cpl_hicks - Warhound Titan - 0/750 (1 Jokers played)
    Crusius - Eldar, Dark Eldar allies - 246/1000 (0 Jokers played)
    Crusius - Space Marines - 0/1000 (0 Jokers played)
    Dark Apostle - Eldar - 0/1500 (1 Jokers played)
    Darnok - Orks - 0/1000 (1 Jokers played)
    DarthSte - Blood Angels - 90/1500 (0 Jokers played)
    djc - Chaos Space Marines - 0/1500 (0 Jokers played)
    Dumnorix - Space Marines (Imperial Fists) - 0/1500 (1 Jokers played)
    Fanny Crowbar - Space Marines (Salamanders) - 190/1500 (0 Jokers played)
    Frgt/10 - Space Marines (Minotaurs) - 0/2000 (1 Jokers played)
    give_me_a_d - Tau Empire - 0/1500 (1 Jokers played)
    GomezAddams - Imperial Guard (Eisenkern) - 0/2000 (0 Jokers played)
    gonzosbignose - Horus Heresy (Blood Angels) - 0/1000 (0 Jokers played)
    grimnar1031 - Space Marines - 0/1500 (1 Jokers played)
    IAMNOTHERE - Chaos Space Marines (Death Guard) - 0/2500 (0 Jokers played)
    Irondog - Space Marines (Ultramarines) - 200/1500 (0 Jokers played)
    ironduke - Space Marines - 0/1000 (0 Jokers played)
    ironduke - Dark Eldar - 0/1000 (0 Jokers played)
    jri0t68 - Tau Empire - 166/1500 (0 Jokers played)
    Larkyn - Horus Heresy (Imperial Fists) - 1/2000 (0 Jokers played)
    Mace1982 - Space Marines - 0/1500 (1 Jokers played)
    Meraklis - Eldar (Ulthwe) - 0/1850 (1 Jokers played)
    miguel77 - Necrons - 160/1500 (0 Jokers played)
    misterboff - Chaos Space Marines (The Cleaved), Dark Eldar allies - 419/2000 (0 Jokers played)
    MrD29 - Space Wolves - 0/1500 (1 Jokers played)
    OPULENCE - Chaos Space Marines (Iron Warriors) - 185/1500 (0 Jokers played)
    Poncho160 - Horus Heresy (Sons of Horus) - 0/1000 (0 Jokers played)
    Poncho160 - Horus Heresy (Blood Angels) - 0/1000 (0 Jokers played)
    pudsey098 - Dark Eldar (Kabal of the Black Gate) - 0/1000 (0 Jokers played)
    pudsey098 - Horus Heresy (Sons of Horus) - 0/500 (0 Jokers played)
    punkfish - Imperial Guard, Blood Angels allies - ???/1500 (0 Jokers played)
    Radium - Eldar, Dark Eldar allies - 191/2000 (0 Jokers played)
    Raven667 - Space Wolves - 0/1500 (1 Jokers played)
    razormasticator - Imperial Guard, Grey Knights allies - 1/2000 (0 Jokers played)
    Rob and Roll - Space Marines (Steampunk Iron Hands) - 250/1750 (0 Jokers played)
    saidtheactress - Horus Heresy (Emperors Children) - 0/1000 (1 Jokers played)
    Sir Badger - Space Wolves - 0/2000 (1 Jokers played)
    ss_cherubael - Tau Empire - 200/2000 (0 Jokers played)
    steevn - Space Marines, Space Wolves allies - 200/1500 (0 Jokers played)
    steevn - Chaos Daemons, Chaos Space Marines allies - 175/1500 (0 Jokers played)
    Still Standing - Horus Heresy (Thousand Sons) - 0/3000 (0 Jokers played)
    Tonny - Space Marines - 0/1500 (1 Jokers played)

Please can you check your entry and let me know if anything needs changing?
    Anyone in orange, please can you check your entry and update your points when you get the chance?
    Last edited by misterboff; 31-10-2013 at 13:29. Reason: updated to post #75
    The Tale of 40k Painters
    Year 1a (07-08)/Year 1b (07-08), Year 2 (08-09), Year 3 (09-10), Year 4 (10-11), Year 5 (11-12), Year 6 (12-13), Year 7 (13-14), Year 8 (14-15), Year 9 (15-16)

Orks (~14,000pts) - W:37 L:29 D:14, Dark Eldar (~5,000pts) - W:17 L:20 D:5, Chaos Space Marines (~2,000pts) - W:6 L:14 D:4

misterboff's Chaos Space Marines (with Dark Eldar allies): September 2013 (D6 roll = 4)

MONTHLY TOTAL: 419 POINTS (250 TARGET)
    TOTAL TO DATE: 419 POINTS (250 TARGET)
    JOKERS PLAYED: 0

BACKGROUND/THEME:
    'The Kabalites of the Last Hatred have a morbid interest in the forbidden arts. Though they outwardly seek to master the transition between life and death, their aims are far grander than those of petty necromancers. Some say the 'Haters' seek to transcend mortality entirely, others that they wish to exterminate the Eldar race and enslave whatever entity is born from the ashes.' - Kabals of the Dark Eldar (White Dwarf 372)

UNIT(S):
    5 Scourges (inc. 2 Heat Lances and Solarite) - 144 points
    Haemonculus Ancient (Liquifier Gun, Venom Blade, Shattershard) - 105 points
    Haemonculus (Liquifier Gun, Venom Blade, Casket of Flensing) - 80 points
    Haemonculus (Liquifier Gun, Venom Blade, Dark Gate) - 90 points

BUILD/CONVERSION:
    The Scourges are straight from the box, all with bat/leathery wings so that they match - I had to do a swap (Radium!) because I'm fussy like that. For the Haemonculi, it's easier to just list the parts...
    Bodies: Island of Blood High Elf Mage (Ancient) and Empire Battle Wizards
    Heads: Hellions kit
    Severed hands/feet/skulls: Hellions kit
    Liquifier Guns: Shredders from the Warriors kit with an engine part (maybe?) from the Reavers kit on the end
    Venom Blades: Scourges kit
    Shattershard: Island of Blood High Elf Mage's staff
    Casket of Flensing: Ghostly bottle from Empire Battle Wizards kit
    Dark Gate: Crystal ball from Empire Battle Wizards kit
    ...and a bit of Green Stuff.

PAINTING/BASING:
    The models are undercoated with Army Painter Alien Purple, and then painted in the stages below. The first colour is the basecoat, the second is a wash and the third and fourth are highlights.

Purple: Alien Purple/Nuln Oil/Xereus Purple/Genestealer Purple
    Silver: Leadbelcher/Nuln Oil/Ironbreaker/Runefang Steel
    Black: Abaddon Black/Eshin Grey/Dawn Stone
    Bronze: Screaming Bell/Reikland Fleshshade/Hashut Copper/Sycorax Bronze
    Dark Eldar Flesh: Rakarth Flesh/Reikland Fleshshade/Pallid Wych Flesh/White Scar
    Flayed Skin: Bugman's Glow/Reikland Fleshshade/Cadian Fleshtone/Kislev Flesh
    Bases: Dawnstone/Mourn Mountain Snow/Praxeti White/Citadel Snow

STILL TO DO:
    Nothing!

HIGHS AND LOWS:
    Highs: Converting some plastic Haemonculi, and getting the majority of the parts dirt cheap off eBay!
    Lows: The Scourges are very fiddly and prone to breaking, and the Haemonculi weapons look a bit 'standardised' (because they're all the same!), but hopefully their bodies and Arcane Wargear help to differentiate them a bit from each other.

NEXT MONTH:
    Some converted plastic Incubi in a Venom, and a Ravager...

misterboff

[Scourges, Haemonculus 1, Haemonculus 2, Haemonculus Ancient, Haemonculi, Army to date]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ToP7.1 - Scourges.JPG 
Views:	127 
Size:	318.9 KB 
ID:	179220   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ToP7.1 - Haemonculus 2.JPG 
Views:	113 
Size:	236.8 KB 
ID:	179218   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ToP7.1 - Haemonculus 1.JPG 
Views:	100 
Size:	231.7 KB 
ID:	179217   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ToP7.1 - Haemonculus Ancient.JPG 
Views:	132 
Size:	247.8 KB 
ID:	179219   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ToP7.1 - Haemonculi.JPG 
Views:	102 
Size:	292.7 KB 
ID:	179216  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ToP7.1 - Army to date.JPG 
Views:	126 
Size:	337.5 KB 
ID:	179215  
    Last edited by misterboff; 01-10-2013 at 07:15. Reason: added pictures...
    The Tale of 40k Painters

Rob and Roll's Space Marines (Iron Hands in Steampunk style): September 2013 (D6 roll = 2)

MONTHLY TOTAL: 250 POINTS (175 TARGET)
    TOTAL TO DATE: 250 POINTS (175 TARGET)

BACKGROUND/THEME:
    Havent written a complete background but I am thinking in the line of IH not trusting computers anymore due to virusses so they shifted back to basic metals and steam power

UNIT(S):
    Dreadnought (Venerable, Heavy Flamer and TL Lascannon) - 160 points
    Tactical Squad (Combi Melta, Meltagun) - 90 points

BUILD/CONVERSION:
    The Dreadnought is an old primered version I bought cheap through Ebay. I cut off the surcafocus and added a CSM terminator body with a bionic head. Next I added some cables, pipes and cogs along with some bronze things from the FW Iron Hands sprue.
    The Space Marines consist of the new Tac aquad box (lovely kit!) upgraded with IH upgarde kit from GW, and some bionic parts by several different indy makers. I added some extra gears and cogs and painted them up.

PAINTING/BASING:
    The models are basecoated in Warplock Bronze. Then I proceed with many different bronzes, coppers and golds from the GW paints. When all the basic layers are done I give them a Agrax Earthshade wash, followed by highlights from the same and lighter metallic paints. Copper corrosion is done by Temple Guard Blue, Ice Blue and Waywatcher Green Glaze.
    The Bases are ordered at Ironhalo and really help the overall look of the models. Metal is painted in the same way as the model, the checkers have been given extra depth by adding a highlight (Dark blue and white) to 2 edges.

STILL TO DO:
    I am still unsure of the squad markings on the Tac squad. Might change those later.
    Background story

HIGHS AND LOWS:
    Highs: Being happy with the paint scheme and expecially the base on the Dreadnought
    Lows: Finding 2 mold lines after painting, which ment I had to remove those and repaint the model.

NEXT MONTH:
    Transports! Most likely a Razorback and a Droppod (already started converting the Razorback with some LED's)

Chapter Master colonel kane trine's Avatar

Army-V`rarg Septicus, plaguelord of the putrifacus exterminatus-the brotherhood of decay (deathguard and nurgle demons)
    V`rarg Septicus leads the brotherhood of decay,a large marauding force of plague marines and worshippers of Nurgle. Rampaging through the Kaskad system V`rargs forces find themselves assailed by the Ka`thokt dynasty necrons led by Kutlakh the world killer. The armys main aim is to spread the zombie plague of nurgle to every world possible including the Kaskad system. A new virus must be made to eliminate the necrons but v`rarg is nothing if not determined...

points this month-demons-315
    points this month-deathguard-203
    points total-demons-315
    points total-deathguard-203

Units

3 nurgling swarms-45 points

4 heralds-4 lesser gifts 2 locus of fecundity-270 points

7 plague marines 2 plasma guns-203 points

basing will be this i think with possible green slime added

Painting
    Plague marines are
    deathworld green basecoat
    nurgling green drybrush
    detailing-charadon piping,metal bits,red blood bits etc
    devlan mud wash
    sepia wash

demons are
    rakarth flesh basecoat
    multiple ink blobbings everywhere using purple,red,black,ogryn flesh and green. All straight after the other to mix them up and make manky colours
    black sword
    details ie yellow spots,bloody bits teeth spines etc
    sepia wash
    gloss varnish on swords

basing is
    eshin grey basecoat
    drybrush stormvermin fur
    armypainter 50/50 strong tone/water wash
    light drybrush bleached bone

slime will probably be deathworld forest mixed into gloss

Highs
    really liking painting something new for a change after painting 5k of necrons in the last tale. I always liked nurgle and fancied a new army and got a good deal on a forgeworld nurgle army. It was if the gods were telling me something....

Lows
    Nothing really to be honest

much time as id hoped
    Last edited by colonel kane trine; 12-10-2013 at 10:54.

Hi

Will have to use one of my jokers for September, hopefully will be able to get it back in October.

cheers

David (Sir Badger)

OPULENCE'S IRON WARRIORS - September 2013 (D6 roll = 6)

MONTHLY TOTAL: 185 POINTS (150 TARGET)
    TOTAL TO DATE: 185 POINTS (150 TARGET)

BACKGROUND/THEME:
    TBD

UNIT(S):
    10 Chaos Space Marines - 2 Melta Guns, Power Weapon, Veterans of the Long War - 185 Pts

Name:	DSC00678.jpg 
Views:	541 
Size:	237.1 KB 
ID:	179269Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00682.jpg 
Views:	425 
Size:	242.8 KB 
ID:	179270

BUILD/CONVERSION:
    Not a lot going on here, most of these models were put together some time ago so just the two meltagunners were new builds with some Iron Warrior and Iron Hands parts. A few Space Marine parts thrown in for variety.

PAINTING/BASING:
    Models base coated Boltgun Metal and then heavily washed with Badab Black. Gold is a basecoat of Calthan Brown and then gold heavily washed then a highlight. A few red spot details mixed through the squads but nothing too exciting on this squad.

STILL TO DO:
    Probably need to add some legion markings to the shoulders but don't trust my freehand at the minute.

HIGHS AND LOWS:
    Highs: Probably the first squad i have done from start to finish in a long time so that is a result. Also pleased that they weren't started until the 16th but got them done.
    Lows: Not a lot to be honest, just hoping I can improve with each month.

NEXT MONTH:
    5 Havocs.

Name:	DSC00684.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	146.7 KB 
ID:	179272

Tau: September 2013 (D6 roll = 5)

MONTHLY TOTAL: 166 POINTS (150 TARGET)
    TOTAL TO DATE: 166 POINTS (150 TARGET)

BACKGROUND/THEME:
    Tau, to me, have a lot of steampunk automation/dwarven (a la Skyrim) automation feel. I blended the two and have thus far shied away from conversions because this month's unit is the first I've done since 2nd edition circa 1996. I may go back and add some gauges or even expelled steam at a later date, once I'm confident in my painting.

UNIT(S):
    10 pathfinders, 3 w/ railrifles, 1 shas'ui w/ blacksun filter.

BUILD/CONVERSION:
    Just as GW instructed, nothing forbid l special YET.

PAINTING/BASING:
    Brushed on imperial primer
    Basecoats of Leadbelcher and Balthazar gold
    Layered with mixed leadbelcher/runefang steel and Balthazar/runelord brass.
    Nuln oil on steel, agrax earthshade on gold/brass.
    Accents were painted over with auric armour gold.
    Highlights were done with runefang steel and a runelord/runefang mix.

Basing was simple, painted with a few layers of warpstone glow/mephiston mixture and added tall grass to give the feel that they're sneaking through terrain like I envision pathfinders functioning.

STILL TO DO:
    I need to get some small sand/rocks to add a little more to the bases. Also, my son seems to have broken the antenna off of one of the rail rifle units, so I need to paint another and fix that. Just noticed that last night.

HIGHS AND LOWS:
    Highs: Actually painting again, proving to myself that not only the scheme, but my rusty techniques work.
    Lows: Grass fell over while drying last night on some models, is too sparse, finding the broken model.

NEXT MONTH:
    Stealth suit team, probably. I've been busy and also painted a crisis suit team and a riptide, all of which need basing.

Good stuff from everyone so far! (d6 roll = 5)

MONTHLY TOTAL: 175 POINTS (175 TARGET)
    TOTAL TO DATE: 175 POINTS (175 TARGET)

BACKGROUND/THEME:
    Standard Black Legion, hate the Emperor, loyal to the new Warmaster, für Kaoz and all of that jive.

UNIT(S):
    Forgefiend with Hades Autocannons

BUILD/CONVERSION:
    Straight out the box

PAINTING/BASING:
    GW colors, dark reds, various gold with washes

STILL TO DO:
    Not a single thang...

HIGHS AND LOWS:
    Highs: The end result methinks
    Lows: Much harder to paint than I had realised (a lot of gold/brass)

NEXT MONTH:
    Not sure but some of this stuff...

Last edited by Belakor; 02-10-2013 at 10:42.
    My hood is my castle...

Chapter Master

Great stuff!

I will use a joker, I will try to earn my joker back in October. I could only start painting 3 days ago, so normally month 2 should be doable.

Joker from me new job kicking my **** will claw it back
    Quote Originally Posted by The bearded one View Post
    Incorrect. Forums are for bashing and fanboyism

Fanny Crowbar's Salamanders: September 2013 (D6 roll = 3)

MONTHLY TOTAL: 190 POINTS (150 TARGET)
    TOTAL TO DATE: 190 POINTS (150 TARGET)

MODELS PAINTED:
    Vulkan He'Stan

BUILD/CONVERSION:
    Straight out of the clampack.

PAINTING/BASING:

Undercoat: Black spray
    Green: Castellan Green/Athonian Camoshade/Straken Green
    Cream: Rakarth Flesh/Agrax Earthsahde/Pallid Wych Flesh
    Red/Brown: Doombull Brown/Agrax Earthshade/ Pallid Wych Flesh
    Brass: Hashut Copper/Agrax Earthshade/Sycorax Bronze/Golden Griffon

Base: Slate and sand painted black and drybrushed grey. Slate was painted with gloss varnish to give a glassy appearance.

HIGHS: Loved painting this guy and he's a good starting point for my army.
    LOWS: Took longer than I wanted to.

NEXT MONTH:
    Sternguard and Tactical Marines.

Chapter Master

rolled a 5, will try to comment on everything though.

MONTHLY TOTAL:
    SM/SW 200 POINTS (150 TARGET)
    CD/CSM 175 POINTS (150 TARGET)
    TOTAL TO DATE:
    SM/SW200 POINTS (150 TARGET)
    CD/CSM 175 POINTS (150 TARGET)

BACKGROUND/THEME:
    SM/SW: whitescarbikes (using only whitescars for the bikes and a ravenguardcolorscheme for all other elements like in hunt for voldorius) with wolf allies (I already have the troops but not the thunderwolves and bikepriests)
    CD/CSM: i'll try to make and a FMC circus and a screamercouncil and CSM allies... primary focus on FMC circus and the allied part

UNIT(S):
    SM/SW: firestorm redoubt (200pts)
    CD/CSM : tooled up lord on djuggernaught (175pts)

BUILD/CONVERSION:
    SM/SW: out of the box
    CD/CSM :uppehalf from lord from dark vengeance, plasmapistol swapped forboltpistol from chaos marines, djugger+legs+axe+khorneplate on boltpistol form fantasykit. reposed the djuggernaught by cutting him off at the ankle.

PAINTING:
    SM/SW : mixed greys (schoolpaint) ,homemade black wash, drybrush white, details with GW paints/washes (nothing special)
    CD/CSM : foundation red with boltgunbrushing with black and brown washes, cloak same thing but working up with reds and oranges using yellow for the star

STILL TO DO:
    basing bits for the lord

HIGHS AND LOWS:
    Highs: Converting the lord was great fun
    Lows: Not having a good idea for the base

NEXT MONTH:
    SM/SW : bikesquad
    CD/CSM : paintjob on GUO of nurgle and finish building the tzeentch daemons
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	th_P1060211.JPG 
Views:	65 
Size:	110.3 KB 
ID:	179386   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	th_P1060212.JPG 
Views:	61 
Size:	99.1 KB 
ID:	179387   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	th_P1060213.JPG 
Views:	79 
Size:	113.3 KB 
ID:	179388   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	th_P1060214.JPG 
Views:	70 
Size:	79.1 KB 
ID:	179389   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	th_P1060217.JPG 
Views:	56 
Size:	82.1 KB 
ID:	179390  

Name:	th_P1060218.JPG 
Size:	114.5 KB 
ID:	179391   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	th_P1060219.JPG 
Size:	122.1 KB 
ID:	179392   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	th_P1060221.JPG 
Views:	82 
Size:	101.2 KB 
ID:	179393  
    Last edited by steevn; 03-10-2013 at 14:57.
    Have a look at my plogs and comment: Malifaux (new sept 2012)
    Infinity Military orders (new sept 2012)
    Started NIDS
    Imperial forces plog (IG+ GK +salamanders+ravenguard+space wolves+white scars)
    Dark Elves plog
    Tau plog
    Eldar plog

Brother Sergeant

Hi all, great work everybody.
    Due to financial issues I'd like to move from imperial guards to 1500 of Space wolves. Hope it's still possible.
    Misterboff joker for me this month.

Commander

Well, I've managed to already paint nearly everything that I had planned to do for the tale. Yay, speed painting! In order to continue I'd need to get new figures. Can't quite justify that with the huge back log of figures that I have. Respectfully, I'm bowing out. Thanks for the fun! Pictures of finished figures will be uploaded to my log when they are available.
    Letters from the Front. An IG log. http://www.warseer.com/forums/showth...uardsman-s-Log
    Riding to Glory Through Fire and Steel! An Empire log
    http://www.warseer.com/forums/showth...52#post6901452
    My Sale and Trade Thread http://www.warseer.com/forums/showth...pire-IG-BFG-or

Joker for me. As planned :-) Will post some WIP:s though after the 11th of the month.

Brother Sergeant

Joker for me as well, will be able to post in November after other commitments are compleated.

Irondog's Ultramarines

Hey folks, it's been a couple of years since I participated in the Tale of 40k Painters, and since I've been slacking on my own projects lately, I figured this may just be the impetus I need to get my butt back in gear. Sorry I missed the sign-up thread, but I'm here now with my first month's progress. Ever since 6th edition dropped, I've felt that 40k is kinda "going back to it's roots" in a way. Everything from the mysterious terrain, to challenges between characters in assault, to the wacky random tables in the Chaos Codexes (both Demons and CSM), starts to feel like 2nd edition back in the day... just with fewer headaches

Since I seem to be taking a stroll down memory lane lately, I've decided to paint up something 'retro'. With the recent release of the new Space Marine Codex, I'll be painting an Ultramarines Army... only with a classic 2nd edition style paint scheme. So, misterboff, if you would be so kind, please put me down for 1500 points of Ultramarines. I'm hoping to do more than that, but we'll see how it goes

Total Painting for September '13: 200 points (150 target)
    Army Size to date: 200 points
    Die Roll: 4

UNIT
    Tactical Squad led by a Veteran Sergeant. Unit is armed with bolters, plasmagun, and lascannon. The Sarge is armed with a chainsword and plasma pistol.

CONVERSIONS
    None.

PAINTING
    After priming the model black, I blocked in all the base colors. I'm using a combination of new and old GW colors. Ultramarines Blue for the armor, Leadbelcher for the metallic areas, and Mephiston Red for the casings on the weapons. Any areas that are going to be either bone, leather or parchment (skull icons, ammo pouches, and purity seals respectively) got a base of Mournfang Brown. The trim on the shoulderpads and banner was based with the old Iyanden Darksun foundation paint.

After the base colors, I used a black wash to shade the models, concentrating mostly on the recesses and metallic areas. I make my own wash using black paint, matte medium, and distilled water. It's waaaaay cheaper than the GW washes.

After shading came the highlighting. Calgar Blue for the edges of the armor, Runefang Steel for the metallics, Blazing Orange for the weapons casings, Snakebite Leather and Bubonic Brown for the leather areas, Bubonic Brown and Bleached Bone for the skulls and purity seals, and Golden Yellow for the shoulder and banner trim.

The chapter insignia on the shoulders are waterslide transfers, softened with Solvaset so they mold to the curvature of the shoulder pad and then painted over. The Sergeants back banner is freehand.

BASING
    Gravel and pebbles glued down with PVA, then drybrushed with Mournfang Brown, Bubonic Brown, and Bleached Bone. After dullcoat is applied to the whole model, small clumps of static grass are glued to the base

STILL TO DO
    Nothing

HIGHS & LOWS
    Highs: Painting a 'retro' unit to my current standards. I can't wait to play a game with models painted in a 'classic' scheme, but without my 90's skill level.
    Lows: Hoping I have the time over the next year to keep up the pace and finish.

PICTURES

Last edited by Irondog; 07-10-2013 at 19:29.
    The Orks are the pinnacle of creation. For them, the great struggle is won. They have evolved a society which knows no stress or angst. Who are we to judge them? We Eldar who have failed, or the Humans, on the road to ruin in their own turn? And why? Because we sought answers to questions that an Ork wouldn't even bother to ask! we see a culture that is strong and despise it as crude. - Uthan the Perverse, Eldar Philosopher

My Orks

The Greater Good is not being furthered as well it might at the current time = Joker for me.

Brother Sergeant

Slow start due to moving house so just the one HQ

Dice roll - 2
    MONTHLY TOTAL:160 (150 TARGET)
    TOTAL TO DATE : 160 ( 150 TARGET )
    JOKERS PLAYED 0
    Still not done a background story but will add one next month
    UNIT
    Necron Overlord with warsythe, ms, sw,ro - 160 points

BUILD
    Straight out the barge box

PLANS FOR NEXT MONTH

Will start the barge then maybe add some warriors