Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: A Tale of Five Legions...

Chaplain

A Tale of Five Legions...

Hi everyone, some might know me from previous painting logs, I tend not to post on here a lot but keep abreast of all the news and painting logs. This log intends to chart the progress of five new heresy era armies from our gaming club (Section 8 Games). We meet weekly in South Shields which is in North East England.

The log will consist of five participants each doing a legion each, these legions are as follows:

Stonedrose- Iron Hands
    Azala- Space Wolves
    Abenormal- Salamanders
    Micky-jay- Emperor's Children
    Daveco2100- Night Lords

Rules are pretty simple;

1. The aim is to paint a 2000pt heresy army in 12 months, more can be done if so desired. We've set this total as armies tend to be around 3000pts, if we all do 2000, then adding a Lord of war choice will get us all close.

2. The strict target is 500pts per quarter, ideally at a rate of about 150pts per month.

3. Participants have 2 jokers over the 12 months

4. Photographs should be mandatory for completed figures.

So, I leave it there for everyone to introduce their own part, month one begins in November, but for those who are keen earlier starts are ok. any comments and constructivbe criticism are more than welcome. The main point of the log is to give us all some impetous to finish, so encouragement is good too!

Chaplain

Re: A Tale of Five Legions...

Ok, so should make a start myself I think. I'm doing iron hands, hopefully the army will include some pretty unique units, I love the Primarch figure and the style of play should be very different.

I'm going to try to do a solid core of infantry for the army with a lot of tanks and dreadnoughts. I'll stay away from dedicated assault units and go for solid hard wearing troops with some long ranged punch mixed in. I'm going to go for some of the more esoteric heresy weaponry as I reckon iron Hands would be all over that.

So without further ado, here's what I've bought so far:

- 10 boarding marines
    - 20 Iron hands tactical marines
    - 10 Devastators all with lascannons

I've finished the boarding marines but they're in the "wargames summerhouse" so I'll take some photos later. I'm finding that highlighting the black armour is difficult, I have a method but I'm unsure about it. I'm hoping I can do some glowy blue eyes and blue steel metallics to bring a bit of life to quite a boring paint scheme.

I did manage to get most of this guy done, let me know what you think:

Last edited by stonedrose; 25-10-2013 at 17:15.

Nice to see a collaborative effort on the subject of the heresy, I look forward to seeing all your work.

@Stonedrose - Very nice looking Contemptor, I love the OSL on the gravity gun in particular.

Veteran Sergeant

He All, Daveco2100 here. I've long been a fan of the VIII legion but somehow the very bright and lots-o-gold GW look has put me off until now. I intend for my little murdering ba****ds to be dark...very dark. Practically dark blue highlighted on black and with very toned down gold. The other fairly different point of my army is that I am trying to keep it in MKIII armour. I know much of the art works shows them in MKIV but for some reason I just love the older MKIII power armour. To me it just looks more menacing and therefore right up the Night Lords poorly lit alley. For my first batch of painting I have got x5 Cataphractii Terminators and a Terminator Captain. Will be posting again soon "Ave Dominus Nox!"

Chaplain

Next up are my boarding marines, don't think they're a bad first effort and I'm quite happy with the blue steel. However I think the highlights still aren't spot on, need a bit more practice of where to be extreme on black and where not to. Also, a bit of battle damage might make them a bit more interesting but not sure how far to go with this.

One of my next purchases will be the iron hands chapter upgrade pack so I can put transfers on the right shoulder for a bit more interest on the figures. Starting the tactical marines next...

Chapter Master

Well, it looks great so far. The more I look at heresy miniatures, the more I love them. Consider me subbed.

ZP
    Zombie P's Imaginative PLog of Stuff, and Things - Updated 30.4.16
    Quote Originally Posted by Cap'n Facebeard View Post
    "Sighs, farts, and leaves : the Malorne story"

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Malorne View Post
    An uplifting tale of discovering oneself while overcoming grave peril and class stereotyping in a hostile world.

Chaplain

Quick update, tried to dull down the highlights on the latest tactical marines, I think these ones are a bit more subtle. They're not completely done as some of the cabling needs finishing off.

Brother Sergeant

This is a great idea for a log, can't wait to see more.

It's also always good to see another Iron Hands brother. I like what you have done with the subtler shading as well. Do you plan on weathering as well?

Cracking start. The contemptor and the latest tacticals are brilliant. The highlighting on the shields for the boarding marines is a bit OTT. THe blue lenses work very well though. Battle damage is easily done with a bit of tin bitz on a large dry brush and just hitting the shields with it at an angle. To reduce the width of the highlights on the shileds try working from the interior side with black, just leaving the very edge grey. Easy fix and should get some nice contrast going. A wash of nuln oil would knock the extreme brightness out of some of the misplaced highlights on helmets etc whilst giving depth and variation to the overall look of the black.

EDIT// The boarding marines might just need a wash on their guns on closer inspection. The pics are a bit small to tell exactly where the stark contrast of grey and black is originating.

Hi everyone Abenormal here, so as Stonedrose said at the start of this thread I will be building the Salamanders legion. Now this is a bit of a break from normal for me as I am used to being the bad guy but there's something about the goody two shoes nature of the Salamanders that speaks to me. The problem I will have with this project is that nothing has been released for the legion yet (not even a single shoulder pad yet) so until then it's going to be generic marine's for me. With that said my first lot of 500pts will be my 10 man breacher squad and a 10 man support squad with melta weapons. Hopefully inside the next week or two I will have my first marines test painted and ready to go.

Chaplain

Ok, managed a little more progress, so excluding transfers and cabling I have a combat squad of tactical marines finished.

And here's the five together.

So, after doing these I'm probably going to rework the boarders, at least from the highlighting point of view. I'll crack on with another five tactical marines too.

Forgot to mention I have a couple of other items for the army, forgot to mention them before and they are pretty major. One is a fellblade, this is assembled and undercoated. I'll add some iron hands icons to it and paint it when I have a decent amount of infantry done. The other is Ferrus, I have a restriction of painting him, mainly because I'm finishing off fulgrim and also as motivation. This month I'll clean up his components once I've hit target, then once fulgrim is finished I'll put him together. I'll aim to start him at the six month point, so I have a lot of black highlighting under my belt!

Veteran Sergeant

Hello, I have managed to get this fella all painted up, Ive not based him yet as Im unsure where the army will be fighting yet. Enjoy Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20131028_194316.jpg 
Views:	1166 
Size:	387.4 KB 
ID:	180619
    Last edited by daveco2100; 28-10-2013 at 22:00.

That's a really good idea to do such a challenge. I think it's great to find some motivations to paint with your mates.

Btw Daveco, how did you paint red on the eagle of your praetor? I find it's a great idea.
    For some videos and ramblings about my Heresy Night Lords Legion http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5ZVKRuJqNuJLbapCc6TJYA

Veteran Sergeant

Hey Palakir, the chest eagle was painted using citadel colours; Mephiston Red with two watered down Nuln oil shades over it, then once dry a Mephiston Red mixed with a tiny amount (maybe 5%) of Ulthuan Grey. That's it really. It was originally going to be the same gold as the shoulder pad trims but my inner Night Lord demanded it be red! HAAHAHHAAH. Liked your videos, nice to see another VIII legion fan. Ave Dominus Nox

Chaplain

Another update, painted another combat squad. Sergeant isn't finished as I need to do the flesh (which is inevitably weak!) and the skulls on his backpack. Other guys are done and I'm really happy with how they're coming out.

Two main things I'm wondering about at the moment, what is the climate of medusa supposed to be like? Just so I can decide in the flesh tone for the sergeant. Also, forgeworld's legion glaive has it's energy coils done in purple which looks great, wondering how that would look on my energy weapons or would it look stupid with the blue eyes?

Chaplain

Minor update, should get a little more done on the sergeant and some more tactical marines done tomorrow. In other news Daveco have been painting a storm eagle for his nightlords. We've both ordered some more stuff too. Daveco has ordered a bundle of cataphract terminators and I've started to get the second stage of my Iron Hands.

I've ordered some transfers which should add a bit more contrast to the figures and some brass etc for the tanks. With the tanks I've started with a spartan, I think that having "it will not die" on your vehicles means you need a lot of hull points to get back and have a decent armour value so as not to get killed straight away. To round off the order I've decided to get some volkite culverins to bulk out the more esoteric weaponry my iron hands bring to bear.

Quote Originally Posted by daveco2100 View Post
    Hey Palakir, the chest eagle was painted using citadel colours; Mephiston Red with two watered down Nuln oil shades over it, then once dry a Mephiston Red mixed with a tiny amount (maybe 5%) of Ulthuan Grey. That's it really. It was originally going to be the same gold as the shoulder pad trims but my inner Night Lord demanded it be red! HAAHAHHAAH. Liked your videos, nice to see another VIII legion fan. Ave Dominus Nox
    Thanks, that is really a nice idea. I've tried to do something similar and I would like to get your opinion. Here's a link to my video showing my praetors

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DT6WhgyYRwQ

Minor update, should get a little more done on the sergeant and some more tactical marines done tomorrow. In other news Daveco have been painting a storm eagle for his nightlords. We've both ordered some more stuff too. Daveco has ordered a bundle of cataphract terminators and I've started to get the second stage of my Iron Hands.

I've ordered some transfers which should add a bit more contrast to the figures and some brass etc for the tanks. With the tanks I've started with a spartan, I think that having "it will not die" on your vehicles means you need a lot of hull points to get back and have a decent armour value so as not to get killed straight away. To round off the order I've decided to get some volkite culverins to bulk out the more esoteric weaponry my iron hands bring to bear.
    I can't wait to see the storm eagle. I've got the iron hands transfer sheet for my mechanicum units, and it's really a nice sheet, you have a lot of stuff to customize your IH units
    Last edited by Palakir; 05-11-2013 at 01:48.
    For some videos and ramblings about my Heresy Night Lords Legion http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5ZVKRuJqNuJLbapCc6TJYA

Veteran Sergeant

Nice video Palakir, The Legion Praetor looks stunning man, Storm Eagle is well under way and should be finished by Sunday. Pictures will follow, this time I have got Photo bucket sorted and will be able to post larger pictures. I have converted the Power armoured Praetor with a 40k night lord bat helmet, he's a bit of an experiment to see how it looks.

i'm really liking what you've done so far. subscribed!
    One of Portents first 500 members. If you don't know what that is, than I might be too old to be still playing this game!
    My Chaos Dwarf Army Blog:
    http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/forum/sh....php?tid=11436
    My Chaos Space Marine (Slaanesh) Blog:
    http://www.warseer.com/forums/showth...=1#post6611676

Chaplain

Ok, so here we go. Five more tactical marines. That puts me at 15 completed marines out of my big 20 man tactical squad. Got to admit I need a discretion now, line infantry grates on you after a while. Transfers should be on their way now so I can put a little more contrast into my marines.

Lastly, here's the sergeant for the squad with the skulls and flesh finished. I discussed how to do the flesh with Daveco, he felt they should be a bit zombie like, with lifeless flesh due to the amount of bionics. Got to admit I wasn't so sure, but it seems to have come out well. It's rank arty flesh with a purple wash and two highlights progressively adding white.

Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast