Thread: Dreadfleet Wind Direction Question

Brother Sergeant

Dreadfleet Wind Direction Question

Hi,
    Firstly, sorry for bringing up Dreadfleet but I'm hoping there may be one or two folks here who don't hate it too much.
    I'm confused about how wind direction works. I understand how the wind gauge moves around the perimeter but I'm not getting how the position/direction of the arrow on the gauge is determined. Does it matter? Presumably the wind doesn't just blow straight up N,S,E or W. In the rulebook the arrow is pictured pointing at an angle directly behind ships. What happens if a ship is side on to the wind direction? I'm just not getting it.
    Thanks for any info

Re: Dreadfleet Wind Direction Question

Quote Originally Posted by Manicelf View Post
    Hi,
    Firstly, sorry for bringing up Dreadfleet but I'm hoping there may be one or two folks here who don't hate it too much.
    I'm confused about how wind direction works. I understand how the wind gauge moves around the perimeter but I'm not getting how the position/direction of the arrow on the gauge is determined. Does it matter? Presumably the wind doesn't just blow straight up N,S,E or W. In the rulebook the arrow is pictured pointing at an angle directly behind ships. What happens if a ship is side on to the wind direction? I'm just not getting it.
    Thanks for any info
    Hi, I love DF, like you a little perplexed by all the hate on here against it. No point argueing though as internet wisdom has made its judgement.

I don't have my rulebook with me but we have played through the campaign and used the range ruler, which can be adjusted to guage arcs, to judge the arc of any ship to the wind guage. From memory i don't think the wind effects you if it is to the left (port side) or right (starboard), only aft or bow.

Is the wind gauge in your aft arc? If yes, that gives a ship the opportunity to add the wind strength to its move distance. Is it in your front arc? If yes, you may be locked in irons. The actual direction the big arrow points on the token is irrelevant. Also note that you work out the effects of wind before you move your ship. The only thing that matters is the position of the wind in relation to your ship before you move. i.e. if the Seadrake start out with the wind behind then turns sharply and continues moving into the wind, you still get the bonus for having the wind behind you.

P.S. The wind violently changes in out-of-the-box Dreadfleet. I've designed two scenarios for the game that represent battles outside the stormy Galleons Graveyard. Instead of using the fate cards for the games, the player with the initiative rolls a D6, if a 6 the wind changes in the following way: roll a D3: 1 - wind moves D6 clockwise, 2 - moves D6 anti-clockise, 3 - moves to random location. For the strength I roll and leave a D6 by the gauge at the start of the game and re-roll this D6 if it ever moves. (This mechanic is similar to how it is done in Man-o-War).

Happy gaming.

Brother Sergeant

Thanks. Makes sense now.

I'm pretty sure that the DreadFleet hate isn't based on any kind of real world knowledge about the game. Rather, I think it comes from people who wanted to see another revitalization of an old property, the way that Space Hulk was.

Disappointment leads to hatred, and hatred leads to the dark side.
    Garden Ninja Studios Check here for links to painting tutorials, discussions of mini news, recent studio projects and other cool stuff.

I have really enjoyed playing DF. A great quick evening game.
    Free your hobby! Be creative and stop slavishly following the damn Book.
    Quote Originally Posted by Osbad View Post
    Anyone calling the LotR system's balance inferior to the other 2 core games' is just spouting absolute rubbish and clearly doesn't know what they are talking about.
    RIP Brimstone.
    I used to read the GW Other Forum, but I am much happier now.

I haven't had too many games of DF but IMHO it is a great game.

Much better than other movement based games such as Star Wars. Where the rules are much too simplified IMHO.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk 2

I think some of the criticism is deserved. It should have been an I-go-you-go game instead of alternating ships. (You need a chance to get a cup of tea while your opponent takes their turn otherwise you get worn out). That said, as with all GW games, it can be easily modified to be the game you want it to be. The last game I played was a scenario I made and it turned to be an absolutely brilliant game (if I do say so myself!!) - one of the closest, most nail-biting games I have ever played with some hilarious moments in their too.

It has been great to be able to bring some naval battles into my groups narrative Warhammer campaign too.