Thread: Space Crusade Players- need help with reconstruction

Space Crusade Players- need help with reconstruction

So, I've decided to start up a project to re-build my old Space Crusade set.

Rather than magnetizing weaponry, I figure that I'll just create a few extra space marines for each squad. But I'd rather not create three versions of each sergeant, so I have a few questions:

What loadouts work best with each sergeant? Is one of them way better than the others? I figure the Imperial Fists one would like a Heavy Bolter so that he can make it a combi weapon, but I'm not totally sure about the other two.

Can the Chaos Sergeant use any weapons he'd like, or only the heavy bolter? I had heard that it was different in the first and second printings of the game.

Which of the White Dwarf add on stuff is balance? That's the Terminator squad (plus Librarian), the Orks and Scout squad. From a glance, the scouts look terrible compared to your other options.

Are there any great fan made resources that I should be using?
    Garden Ninja Studios Check here for links to painting tutorials, discussions of mini news, recent studio projects and other cool stuff.

Chapter Master

Re: Space Crusade Players- need help with reconstruction

The three sides lend themselves to their sterotypes. The Imperial fist is good with the H. bolter, the Ultra with the pistol and axe, and the blood angel with the fist and sword, but... most players will tend to equip the sergeant with PF and Sword on all three with melta bombs as it gives you someone who can take out the Dreadnought in a single round. I had never heard anything about the Chaos Serg so i will check my book next time it is out, but the card summary of aliens lists him with H. bolter and no other load out.

Hope that helps.
    Warhammer Armies: Empire, Night Goblins, Dwarves, Daemons of Chaos
    40K Armies: Chaos, Imperial Guard, Ultramarines, Chaos Daemons, Tyranids, Tau
    Epic Armies: Imperial Guard, Ultramarines, Orks, Adeptus Titanicus.
    BFG Forces: Imperial Navy, Chaos.
    See them all here: http://www.warseer.com/forums/showth...-of-everything

Quote Originally Posted by Sureshot05 View Post
    The three sides lend themselves to their sterotypes. The Imperial fist is good with the H. bolter, the Ultra with the pistol and axe, and the blood angel with the fist and sword, but... most players will tend to equip the sergeant with PF and Sword on all three with melta bombs as it gives you someone who can take out the Dreadnought in a single round. I had never heard anything about the Chaos Serg so i will check my book next time it is out, but the card summary of aliens lists him with H. bolter and no other load out.

Hope that helps.
    This... -ish. The pistol/axe combo never really gelled with me though. Not really good enough at shooting or close combat.

The Chaos Commander model only came with a Heavy Bolter. It's a neat model though.

I'm considering doing the same thing.

The BoardgameGeek page might be useful, and I know there's sites with penty of useful information and images because I used them extensively. Didn't bookmark them, though.

I'm modelling the heavy bolters as storm bolters, as it looks better IMO for Commanders (the Chaos Commandr has the combi-bolter from a Chaos Rhino), and the Forge World Legion Rotor Cannon set for Assault Cannons.

If you move onto Mission: Dreadnought, let me know how you do the four-armed and long-legged versions of the Dreadnought; I'm a bit stumped at the moment.

I know I've seen pictures of a Chaos Commander with bolt pistol and power axe, but that was in White Dwarf around the time of the game's release; it would have been a pre-release master casting, and presumably the design changed between the model being painted and the game's release.

Chaplain

This website should be a lot of help to you.
    http://zenseeker.net/BoardGames/StarQuest.htm
    It's got ideas for everything!

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewGPaul View Post
    I'm considering doing the same thing.

The BoardgameGeek page might be useful, and I know there's sites with penty of useful information and images because I used them extensively. Didn't bookmark them, though.

I'm modelling the heavy bolters as storm bolters, as it looks better IMO for Commanders (the Chaos Commandr has the combi-bolter from a Chaos Rhino), and the Forge World Legion Rotor Cannon set for Assault Cannons.

If you move onto Mission: Dreadnought, let me know how you do the four-armed and long-legged versions of the Dreadnought; I'm a bit stumped at the moment.

I know I've seen pictures of a Chaos Commander with bolt pistol and power axe, but that was in White Dwarf around the time of the game's release; it would have been a pre-release master casting, and presumably the design changed between the model being painted and the game's release.

The Chaos Commander actually was armed with a pistol and axe in the pictures on the side of the box. I was sure I found something about the differences between the first and second edition of the game about that (ie- the chaos commander came with other options- also I remember the bolter/axe combo being slightly better in close combat than in the 2nd ed).

I can't find that again, though, so heavy bolter it is.

I was definitely going to do Mission Dreadnought later than the other pieces. For thoughts on the larger dread, I was considering an Iron Warriors daemon prince- he'd be about the right size and his extra movement would be plenty believable.

So... from what I'm gathering here, I should probably give each squad the stereotypical weaponry on the commander, although that sounds iffy on the Ultramarine commander.

Oh, I have another question- do any of you find particular equipment cards to be problematic? I was looking over the equipment, and the Blood Angels' Force Field (increases commander's armor to 3) seems kind of broken- especially with how good he can get in close combat. I'm not totally sure about the Ultramarine's medpack too.

Have you guys found them to be problematic, or are they not troublesome?
    Garden Ninja Studios Check here for links to painting tutorials, discussions of mini news, recent studio projects and other cool stuff.

Pistol and Axe kind of suck. The combi weapon is nice and the sword and power fist are good, but the Pistol/Axe combo does nothing right.

especially with how good he can get in close combat
    Armor doesn't count in close combat in Space Crusade, so basically you can spam him with Orks till he dies. I find the Ultramarine medpack a lot stronger. But in the end, none of that stuff is really overpowered, Space Crusade wasn't really that badly balanced.
    http://www.mekwars.org Play Battletech online in the MegamekNet 3025 campaign environment with people from around the world. New players welcome. Join a noble house and fight for supremacy in the Inner Sphere. Non-commercial community project, no cost.
    My random Sci-Fi Plog, mostly Imperial Guard, Dark Eldar and CSM Current Project: Bad Moons.

Thanks, that's good to know. So, I'll probably do two power fist commanders and a heavy bolter one (for the Imperial Fists- the combi weapon option looked pretty solid to me).

I think that the Ork commander from white dwarf could have both (and that might be a bit much) but I'd want to try that one first. His squad looked very underpowered in comparison to him.