Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Sigur goes South - The American Civil War

Sigur goes South - The American Civil War

Hullo, here's yet another historical plog. I did a full new one as this project warrants getting its own place rather than being chucked into the Little Histories collective plog.

Codex: Confederaceh

So what's this all about then? Early this year I had an amazing game of 28mm scale American Civil War stuffs. Hundreds of figures per side, huge, beautiful table. A real shame I didn't have my camera with me. Anyways, this was the first time I got into touch with wargaming the ACW. I have to admit that it did look really good. However, to be honest it's a period that never really grasped my attention and I'm still trying to work up a real enthusiastic interest in the conflict. No all that dashing uniforms, no all that exotic formations, hardly any proper cavalry, one side seemingly overwhelmingly superior in morality, manpower, equipment and infrastructure. Have I mentioned that I'll collect a Confederate army? All that being said, I'm reading stuff, researching stuff and so on. Things are starting to get more interesting.

Throwing Rocks

Why did I start the whole project then? Well, a bunch of the local historical wargaming guys are getting something ACW set up in 28mm. There is an overabundance of Union troops around already so the rebels needed some support which is where I came into play. And it's not like I'd turn down an opportunity to buy new toys.

The rules sets of choice will be Foundry's Bull Run to Gettysburg and the recently released Longstreet by Sam Mustafa. The first one we used with the one ACW game I had and it works rather well. Longstreet I haven't even glanced at so far but the rulebook is on the way. I haven't read any reviews yet so I can make up my own mind while reading the rules but as far as I know the ruleset has been hailed as being tip top. Very much looking forward to getting the book.

The arrival of the first slew of models also helped the enthusiasm for the whole project a fair amount:

Of course I'm going with the Perry plastics because if you get the option you got with Perrys. Unless it's Napoleonics, in that case Victrix are worth a look of course. Anyway, I got two boxes of their generic ACW infantry and two boxes of their ACW cavalry, starting out slow for starters. I got those rather cheaply second-hand which is nice. That's also the reason why I went for the generic ACW infantry rather than the Confederate infantry box. Dismounted cavalry I'll look if I can convert from plastics or I'll just get the Perry metals for that. Speaking of metals, commanders and maybe some unit command figures I'll get from the perrys as well and hope for the plastic ACW artillery to be released soon. Last I know of that box is that it's in tooling but there is no release date yet. I'm hoping for "before Christmas".

So the models arrived yesterday and as a person I have NO restraint what so ever I immediately put together two units of infantry for Bull Run to Gettysburg. Here's the current state of affairs:

I planned to use my initial impetus for painting very rag-tag looking regiment (every unit will represent a different regiment I thought) so that's the first unit I'll do. In the back you can see a more orderly and uniform bunch I prepared already. Hope you like them so far. It's a bit problematic that I get a bit less than two units out of each box of generic ACW infantry so maybe from the second box I'll build one more unit, then get a box of Confederate infantry and mix and match three units out of that and the remaining figures from the generic boxes. I've been discouraged to go for mixing the ACW infantry box and Confederates infantry box models but I guess I can't resist getting one box of Confederate infantry, just for testing. Oh, and I'll need Zouaves.

So yup, that's the plan. I hope to finish the first unit this weekend, stay tuned! Oh, and let me know if there's a specific unit you'd like to see in this army or if you have any info on interesting formations or something in the Confederate army. Thanks and see you soon!

Re: Sigur goes South - The American Civil War

Wonderful !!!!! Another fantastic project for us to enjoy

I hope we get a review of Bull Run to Gettysburg and Longstreet.

Quote Originally Posted by Gargobot View Post
    I love Maher's show ! Great post Gargobot

P&R is that way, you rascals.

Another update:

Hair needs to be done, some detail work like buttons and such too and the muskets of course. The shoes will get some proper paint once I put the fellas on bases. Still, not bad for a day I think.

I'm always divided (ha!) on the south. On the one hand they have the best music and uniforms of the ACW but their morals on the other hand....

Wow, these look very good! A nice rag-tag-look you achieved here.
    For converting and wild looks the south is definitly the way to go.

@Cornonthecob: Yeah, as I said in the opening post - I'm having trouble working up much enthusiasm myself. That said though, the scale of the northern aggression leaves me no choice I guess.

@Corvussanctus: Thanks very much. These probably are the raggiest taggiest of the bunch I'll do. I thought I'd use the initial impetus to get those done and now going on to do some more uniform fellas. Otherwise I end up with an army without uniforms once again and looking at my TYW armies, I swore that I'd never do that again!

@mrtn: Thanks!

Okay, first unit finished:

...well, mostly. They still need basing obviously. 40 by 40mm, four models per base, five bases per unit. The weird thing is that all these boxes came with bases that are essentially 40mm by 45mm. Kind of annoying but oh well. I guess I'll just cut them up. If I just use the slightly larger bases I KNOW I'll regret it.

Oh, and I think I'll have to replace that banner pole with a metal one. The one on the model is made of plastic and kind of flimsy.

Chapter Master

Rarely have ACW soldiers looked so good.

@N0th1ng c4n b34t 3lv3s: Thanks very much.

Today I painted on the second unit but as hours rush past me I get them impression that things look grim for my plans to finish the unit tonight:

Well that was fast! Most excellent, yes indeed. Those jeans look especially realistic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Litcheur View Post
    Note to 40k players : switching to historicals will get you laid.
    \m/ Metalheads of WarSeer \m/ <- click

Please visit my random project log!

You are a hell of an armypainter sigur ! Such quality in that short amount of time is truly impressive ! How do you like the kit by the way?

@Caiphas Cain: Thanks very much!

@kublai: Cheers. To be honest, it's been pretty cool for once working on a large bunch of 28mm figures for myself again. For battles and such the scale is kind of unwieldy but there is something to it. Each fella is a character. With 15mm and less, even with 20mm, I just don't get get same amount of character from each model. Not to say that I don't love my smaller scale fellas of course.

Phew, I think I'll call them finished for now. There still are some spots to do properly but I'll delay that to the point in time at which I'll base the whole lot and do their shoes.

It's funny, when I saw the unit set up for the photo like that I had to think of the figure of speech "fine body of men, Sir". Guess I spent way too much time with toy soldiers this weekend.

And now excuse me, I'll see if I manage to put together a unit of cavalry before I collapse.

I like the mix of colour on the haversacks, on that note do you read Wargames Illustrated ? They did some wonderful articles on the paint schemes of the ACW I found them most interesting.

@cornonthecob: Thanks. I don't really read WI. Maybe I'll get me a back issue of Wargames, Soldiers and Strategy on ACW though. Good idea.

Ha, fate acknowledged that I was a good boy and painted lots of ACW minis over the weekend and made it so that on Monday, my Longstreet rulebook and cards arrived!

I hope too that I can get a game in some time soon but then I still need to do a lot of painting. Realistically, I wouldn't expect to play any time before Christmas/early next year. We only play with painted models of course. And I love it.

Sad this is 28mm and not 10mm. Anyway, amazing painting as always. If the Atlantic Pond didn't divide us, I would hire you in a heartbeat.

I have heard great things about Longstreet. You should Look up Big P on these boards, as he has a lot of experience with the Longstreet rules.
    Do you like free wargames?
    http://bloodandspectacles.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Gargobot View Post
    I really hope it will not.

Those Rebs look absolutely gorgeous!
    Last edited by Disposable Hero; 20-11-2013 at 15:59.
    Nel mezzo del cammin di nostra vita,
    mi ritrovai per una selva oscura,
    ché la diritta via era smarrita.

nur der Regen weint am Grab...

Brother Sergeant tannibal_lecter's Avatar

Wow. They are looking amazing!

Sigur, you never cease to amaze with the quality and quantity of your output!

If you allow me though, you should be carefull with the light sky blue trousers. Their use was not as widespread as it seems. If you are going for somewhat historicall accuracy try paint fewer sky blue trousers.

No offence intended!
    "Cursed be he who moves my body. To him shall come fire, water and pestilence." Tomb Inscription of Senuknet the Eternal
    My Necrons:http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=322236
    My High Elves:http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=108870
    My Napoleonics: http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=295917

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast