Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8

Thread: Sigur goes South - The American Civil War

Chapter Master

Re: Sigur goes South - The American Civil War

Wow, these look amazing!

Makes me really want to start with some napolionics.

Good stuff!
    Do you like free wargames?
    http://bloodandspectacles.blogspot.com/

@Codsticker: Thanks very much! Glad you enjoyed it.

@KaldCD: Cheers. Glad to inspire people to do Napoleonics with my American Civil War stuff. But yeah, I know how it feels. I'm also inspired to do some more Napoleonics at the drop of a hat.

@Easy E: Thanks, Sir!

G'day, ladies and gentlemen!

Last Wednesday we had the annual pre-christmas meet-up of the historical wargamers to have a big old game set in the American Civil War. We chose the Black Powder rules (as a sort of lowest common denominator, in the best sense of the word ). I hadn't played BP up to that night before, so it was a good occasion to dust off the rulebook and have a go.

We played a scenario from the Glory Hallelujah supplement. 3 big Confederate and 3 smaller Union brigades on the table; the rebels got a cavalry brigade as reserve at turn#4, the Union has a big brigade as reserve popping up from any table edge after turn#2. The Tabletop Wien West dudes were present, as always when it comes to historical wargaming and one after another the other usual suspects trickled in as well. I was late myself (because I'd met with a customer before that and we chatted.), so none of my minis made it on the table. The cool thing is that in our general area a lot of people have a LOT of 28mm ACW stuff.

On the other tables there was the usual club business (warmahordes, star wars armada, a bit of x-wing, a bit of 40k), but our ACW table of course was the big eye catcher.

The cool thing is that we tested Black Powder in the perfect BP-situation: multiplayer club game with the goal of getting a satisfying game in before the pub closes.

A few impressions:

The rebel army center

At the rebels' right flank brigade general Nikfu's Ne'er-do-Wells advance en masse.

The same situation from the other side of the table. Spoiler: it was quite a bloodbath. Also, look at that huge siege mortar in the back (at the centre of the table :O ).

The other end of the Union lines was held (at that point) by Cpt.Shandy and his slightly understaffed brigade.

Due to me basically just standing around I got to command the 4th union brigade. The one that was supposed to pop up as reserve and save the day. Prestigious!

A picture of what my brigade would have looked like:

Everything's there: 4 regiments of infantry, a battery of 6 guns and even a small squadron of cavalry!

A picture of the hill I should have stormed across to help out Cpt.Shandy at his flank and unto glory:

A visual representation of what actually happened on the table:

For 2 turns after my brigade was to show up I messed up command rolls, so until the end of the game not a single one of my units showed up. To be fair, James' centre command of the rebels' army did barely a thing all game long either. That's Black Powder and this is why we love it.

The Union's commander in chief observing the problematic situation at his left while Cpt.Shandy's flank to his right is about to collapse. Oh, and the reserve (see above) decided not to show up at all! The things commanders have to put up with...

In the end Virago's rebel cavalry brigade popped up, stormed up a hill, destroyed the Union's artillery battery and sealed the fate of Cpt.Shandy's flank. At that point it was time to call it a night and pronounce the Confederates the victors!

Black Powder is good, good fun and works perfect for such multi-player games. Sure, it's written specifically for the table the Perrys have. No idea how people play this game with 28mm figures of all things on 6' by 4' tables. I just can't see it making a lot of sense.

Either way, good game, fun times, fast and fun.

Lateron I spent all my penned up energy (after not getting to do anything on the table) to finish painting and basing the last few dismounted rebel cavalrymen (Sash&Saber miniatures) and the civilian lady (Redoubt)!

Initially I wasn't a huge fan of going blue with the umbrella, but some people suggested it online. And I have to say that you were right. Looks very pleasing I think.

Hope you like them!

Oh, and in January we'll do a big Longstreet demo too. Just to check out how that works with multiplayer games. Because in a regular 1-on-1 it surely is the rules of my choice for ACW battles.

That is a nice yellow. It really stands out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Salty
    What the Modsticker said.

Cheers, I had a bunch of fun painting the civilians, and they're a really nice set of sculpts (even though I pretty much had to reconstruct the yellow lady's nose and parts of the face from scratch after a nasty frontal bump.

Chapter Master

Awesome job!

Looking forward to that Longstreet battle!
    Do you like free wargames?
    http://bloodandspectacles.blogspot.com/

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8