Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7

Thread: Sigur goes South - The American Civil War

Re: Sigur goes South - The American Civil War

Hullo.

As some of you probably noticed, Sharp Practice 2 was released in late April:

Before the release the interwebs was buzzing with anticipation. It's TFL's flagship rules after all, and them getting a new incarnation is pretty big. I'm currently working on my rules review of this one, but I can already tell you that it's an impressive effort in several regards.

The rules cover large skirmish games set in the 18th and 19th century, with a big focus on leaders and the narrative of a game, replicating the exploits of literary heroes of the time.

Of course I'm bubbling with ideas for all kinds of things to do with these rules, but the period that would be the easiest and quickest to put on the table turned out to be the American Civil War. So I placed an order with Old Glory to get my hands on some of the 28mm ACW minis from the Sash and Saber range, just to see what they're like. I was cautious, so I just got a pack of dismounted cavalry and dismounted cavalry command. Very, very good prices on those. The minis themselves are pretty okay. The molds probably are a bit worn and the metal used isn't the best. Well, there's only one word to describe it: soft. Not a huge problem, but you gotta be a bit careful with gun barrels. The thing is that the Perrys only do 6 different sculpts for dismounted cavalry, and that can be a bit repetitive over time, so it's nice to have additional poses and such. And the minis mix well with Perrys, so things are cool. The dismounted Confederate cavalry troops pack is 10 models (armed with a mix of shotguns and carbines. Some of them wear regular shoes and no sabers, so they can double as skirmishers or raiders), the command pack is 4 models (officer, sergeant, musician with bugler and a dude to hold the flag).

Here's a WIP shot of the chaps along with a then almost fully painted officers from the Perrys Confederate infantry plastics box:

For Sharp Practice you need a bunch of leaders (a.k.a. Big Men) of various ranks to lead the boys into battle. Here the Big Men I assembled from my collection are all finished:

From left to right: 2 Corporals, 2 Sergeants, 1 1st Lieutenant and the guy with the yellow feather on his hat is ranked Dashing. I also finished a random skirmisher and a marksman with a target rifle (note the scope).

...and with this my boys are ready for Sharp Practice.

edit: As civilians and 'minor characters' play a big role in Sharp Practice I ordered these fine people here from Redoubt Enterprises:

...along with a civilian coach. Can't wait for the minis to arrive!

I look forward to the review.
    Do you like free wargames?
    http://bloodandspectacles.blogspot.com/

Your review of Sharpe's Practice 2 that you are currently working on.
    Do you like free wargames?
    http://bloodandspectacles.blogspot.com/

Oh, sorry. Indeed I finished writing that one last night, I'll see that I get it up soon!

In other news, I painted figures from the "Union Infantry in Sack Coats Skirmishing" box, review soon to follow:

Also, a Longstreet campaign seems to be in the cards again. Firmly believing that I've got enough stuff I had a look at the campaign forces and had to realize that I don't. Three infantry regiments of 10 bases (mine have 6 each) and one cavalry regiment of 8 bases (mine has 6). How annoying. So I'll have to either add bases to existing units or, in the case of infantry, combine two units into one. Still, I won't get around painting some more bases of infantry too I think.

I started by putting together the required cavalry figures (hope I've got enough cavalry on foot lying around somewhere because I have to have those mounted and dismounted of course...).

Here's my report of the show:

http://www.battlebrushstudios.com/20...lute-2017.html

Later on I put up an article in which I discuss what I bought on the weekend and in which I more or less effectively try to explain why all of these purchases were very necessary and justified:

http://skirmishwargaming.com/austria...e-loot-report/

Right, I hope you enjoy the pictures and the articles.

That looks like a fairly restrained haul from Austrian Salute. The Pike and Shotte mules are very nice... the drover, not so much...
    Quote Originally Posted by Salty
    What the Modsticker said.

Haven't had a closer look at the driver yet, but if he doesn't look well enough next to his mules he shall be deleted.

In other news the Longstreet campaign somehow became a thing again and sheer horror filled me when I went back to check the basic campaign forces required. Somehow I had memorized "I got that sorted" when in fact my infantry units have 6-7 bases each and my cavalry unit has 6 bases. For campaign play I require 3 regiments of 10 bases each and a cavalry unit of 8 bases. The only requirement I barely fulfill is artillery (3 bases - two 6pdr guns and a howitzer).

So what I need to do is ramp up three of my units to 10 bases each. As these Perrys plastics boxes are crammed with minis I still had some spares lying around. This allowed me to (over a horrifyingly long timespan) to add four bases to the 3rd Louisiana infantry:

It's the four bases in the front rank (apart from the command base). You know what? I really, really like these older plastic ACW infantrymen the Perrys do. They aren't as much work to put together as the new ones and they just 'paint up' really, really well. Details on the new ones are sharper, they're a bit taller and have more army specific gear and all, but I really like the older ones. Perfectly fine models.

That's one out of three sorted. I also assembled four horsemen to add to my cavalry to bring them up to the required 8 bases and started working on four more bases of Confederate infantry in slightly butternuttier looking uniforms. Of course I also have to get four dismounted cavalrymen done after that. Then I have two choices - I could add three more bases to the Tiger Zouaves (I painted 7 bases of those chaps in the past PLUS another dude, so I'd have to paint just 11 models) and make them a proper full regiment OR I do nothing and cobble together a 10-base regiment from five Tiger Zouaves and 5 bases from my beloved 14th Louisiana infantry regiment.

Considering this campaign won't happen for a while (or maybe never) I still have time to think about it. But you never know. My mate just did the painting equivalent of an insane forced march and painted 70 Union infantry.

Next on the list: four more bases for the Butternut confederates you've seen in the Confederate Infantry box review (see above).

As far as Sharp Practice plans go: I'm all set for that. All I need for that is deployment points and support choices.

I actually bought a bunch of ACW camp accessories which I intend to use for deployment points (and I can just use my general as a deployment point as well). I bought a covered wagon which can double as water/ammo/medic's wagon/whatever if need be, so that'll cover quite a lot. I even got a preacher model and some general civilians for scenarios which I should finish some time. He's not an army priest, but oh well. It's a start. I actually had someone ask for a demo game of SP2 at the local club, so that may happen sooner rather than later. I'll just use the same minis I use for battle games. That's 4 infantry models to a base, in Sharp Practice 2 groups of line infantry consist of 8 models, so that'll work. Skirmishers are 6 to a group if I remember correctly, but at this point I got plenty of those single-based (something like 4 groups in total). Concerning Big Men I'm sorted, so all I really lack for SP2 is those deployment points. Of course markers can be used for that, but where's the fun in that?

I guess I also should make some more terrain. Somehow I really want to have a lot of split rail fences. You know, the zig-zaggy ones. Well, let's see about that. God, that reminds me I still got that US farmhouse kit lying around...

The reactions to the 3rd Louisiana in its boosted-to-10 state was overwhelmingly positive on the interweb, which really helped my motivation getting another regiment to 10 bases:

Neato. Hope you like them!

Nice painting and nice review. The models seems to have a surprising amount of mould lines, for a new Perry product. The ramrod hand could be used as a base for a chopstick conversion, if you're that inclined. Maybe with the WGF samurai line?

Banned

I really wanna do ACW now

@mrtn: Thanks very much! I'm really not concerned with mould lines. Plastic minis especially always have them, and always to the same amount if they're cast by renedra. If there are more or less pronounced mould lines it doesn't really matter - they gotta be removed anyway. Good call on the chopstick hand, I'll keep that in mind if I ever require that. But I'm good with proper metal Samurai for now.

@jamesvalentine: Thanks muchly. The good thing is that 28mm ACW is dead affordable (if you're okay with the limitations in poses and outfits), it's really good in 15mm too, 20mm is always an option, 10mm - Pendraken do lovely figures for that and then there's of course 6mm or 2/3mm. It's all there, it doesn't matter much which scale you go for (just choose a reasonable one).

Here's the cavalry with the two more bases added. Or rather three bases as I cheekily decided to cut the second base in half. Just in case I want to do something with casualty removal.

Hope you like them!

Next on the list: get 4 dismounted cavalry dudes done and then I want to bump up another infantry regiment to 10 bases.

Bit of an update - did a bit more work on the cilivians:

These four are finished now. Still left to do: a fancy lady and the priest.

Also - I got the Zouaves models now to bump up the Tiger Rifles to 10 bases.

Hej, update! It's a WIP shot of the Louisiana Tiger Rifles zouaves I need to bump up my unit to 10 bases!

Hope I get some more work done on those soon.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7