Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Sigur goes South - The American Civil War

Re: Sigur goes South - The American Civil War

@Easy E: Believe me, if it had been my choice I'd have gone with a smaller scale but this is probably the most peer pressure-fuelled project I've ever gotten into and all the other guys got their 28mm armies already. (with a huge numerical superiority on the side of the centralist tyrants, probably becuase they're dead fast to paint and got prettier uniforms) But yeah, with the Perry plastics it's not too expensive and it's pretty cool doing a proper 28mm army again. If that wasn't some sort of innuendo, I'll look up the Big P. Thanks for the heads up. As for hiring - I've done a whole lot of painting jobs for people from the US and Canada. Just saying.

@Disposable Hero: Thanks very much!

@tannibal_lecter: Thanky muchly for checking out my plogs.

@Merkalis: Thanks very much for the comment and I appreciate the input about the blue trousers. I got a similar reply (but neither as to the point nor as politely put as yours) over on DakkaDakka. The idea behind this second unit's paintjob was: Get them done fast, have them look uniform. I looked up uniforms for days, well aware that the Confederate army of course was to large extents not all that uniformed at all, but still ended up using this colour scheme for all the unit (depicting a regiment). I decided to do them this way to be strongly contrasting the other unit, kind of like a look at a confederate regiment in theory (second unit) and in practice (first unit). I still did some variation in colour on the trousers and jackets. Apart from that I read a thread on painting Confederates on TMP and some people got seriously angry about the blue trousers being used so often in confederate armies so it's fun to feed their anger, luring them to the dark side. But yeah, other regiments will look a bit less neatly clothed and there will only be a sporadic use of the blue trousers from now on.

To clarify, Big P is a user on this site. As far as I know, it isn't a euphomism; and if it is I don't really want to know about it.

He might also go as Big P from the GMG. Not sure.
    Do you like free wargames?
    http://bloodandspectacles.blogspot.com/

hahahaha I second feeding the anger of the people over at TMP.
    You can easily get stoned to death there if you paint a cuff the wrong colour...
    "Cursed be he who moves my body. To him shall come fire, water and pestilence." Tomb Inscription of Senuknet the Eternal
    My Necrons:http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=322236
    My High Elves:http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=108870
    My Napoleonics: http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=295917

Chapter Master

Love your work!, truly great stuff. My conferates are looking forward to some reinforcements from the new perry minaiture conferates and artillery.

Veteran Sergeant

Great looking perryes models . I am painting north side on my own, but you are unnatural fast with yours. Is there any special secret how you manage to paint them so fast?

Quote Originally Posted by nazadsam View Post
    Great looking perryes models . I am painting north side on my own, but you are unnatural fast with yours. Is there any special secret how you manage to paint them so fast?
    I'm sure it is a trade secret.
    Do you like free wargames?
    http://bloodandspectacles.blogspot.com/

@Easy E: Ah, thanks for the info. I shall seek him out.

@Merkalis: Yeah, I mean I try to be as accurate as possible with uniforms and such but I just wanted to have one unit in regulation uniform.

@m1acca1551: Thanks. The plastic confederates are tempting but I think I'll stick to the models I've got now but let me know what you think of the Confederate plastics! And yeah, can't wait for that artillery to get released.

@nazadsam: Thank you. Well, I don't know. Sometimes it goes really fast.

Little update - one and a half regiments of infantry and a regiment of cavalry:

I'll see that I can get them painted any time soon. I think for a proper longstreet campaign force I need three regiments of infantry and one cavalry.

Chapter Master Karak Norn Clansman's Avatar

You're obviously a fast and professional painter, but I'll guess that the lack of "cluttered" detail on these models makes for sweeping advance upon the paintdesk. When you get fast at painting Warhammer miniatures to a high standard, some historical miniatures such as the American Civil War soldiers will be child's play with their large areas of simple uniforms.

dude i cant keep up with your projects.but as always the minis are bloody lovely
    http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=309966 random stuff warmachine,dystopian wars and malifaux updated 03/03/13

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showth...95#post6202095 historical log updated 24/09/13

@Karak Norn Clansman: Thanks very much. Well, it depends. I think that large, untextured and flat surfaces always are a bit tricky as there'll be hardly any highlighting/shading at all or rather time intensive. But yeah, it goes rather fast. I'm also doing them in a quicker fashion really, mainly to get them "battle ready".

@basher: Thanks very much.

Well, after waiting for a few months for everybody to catch up (mostly me ), Here are some new pictures at last! In 2014 ACW is possibly my top priority project of my own. As I said before, the main objective is getting a brigade for Longstreet done, with unit sizes reduced from 10 to 5, each unit with an optional 6th base for playing Bull Run to Gettysburg.

So I finally got around to getting some command figures I still lacked (mostly colour bearers as each regiment should have two, one with the battle flag of the Confederacy, the other one waving the state flag). I got a bunch more miniatures making sure I won't have to order any ACW minis any time soon (you heard it here first, folks). So now I got two units, another reduced unit primed, a unit of Zouaves (about a third of them converted to wear straw hats) for Louisiana Tigers, two units of mounted cavalry, one unit of dismounted cavalry and horse holder, some commanders and of course the very recently released plastic ACW artillery box. All Perry miniatures. I ALSO got that North American Farmhouse 1750-1900 kit, only to realize that my regular gaming buddy has two of those already. Should have gone with the church I suppose. Oh well.

Anyway, on we go to pictures!

This is a WIP of my first unit of cavalry, painted this weekend:

A picture of the based infantry units thus far:

To emphasize the more "up to snuff"-ness of the regiment in picture #2 I based them in two straight ranks whereas the models in the first unit's second rank haven't really formed a straight line, first rank is firing a few shots in general directions and so on. Hope that you like them!

Wonderful work, the clumps of flowers on the bases are a brilliant touch to the units.
    ...in embracing history, let us not altogether abandon adventure, imagination, innovation and creativity, or stories of heroism, daring, action and courage.

For are these not the things that genuinely first attracted us to wargaming? To deny them is our loss. To deny them to others is a loss to the hobby.

Thanks very much, Oakenshield. Love the flowers myself. They work on so many bases, either as a pretty addition to something pretty or as a counter-point t osomething decidedly unpretty going on.

I love the horses- no "half bays".
    Quote Originally Posted by Salty
    What the Modsticker said.

@Codsticker: Yeah, I went rather uniform on those. Slight variations and such but overall a similar look. Gotta have a speckled one in there too though! Variation will be added by doing spots and stripes and whatnot on foreheads as well as socks and such.

Thanks very much for the encouraging replies, guys. Always appreciated. It's what keeps me painting.

Behold, I managed to finish stuff!

14th Louisiana Regiment (a.k.a. "1st Polish Brigade". In fact it was a wild mix of all kinds of foreign types from around the New Orleans area. There were Polish, Italians, Germans, Russians and so on, many of them having been seamen or dock workers prior. They were an unruly bunch and Col. Victor Sulakowski kept morale somewhat intact with a heavy hand. I read episodes of some guys from his camp who, after drunken rioting, were on their way to a nearby jail, overpowered their guards, came after them to some hotel in which they were barricaded up. The men proceeded to pile up furniture and lumber in front of the locked door to set the hotel on fire. Just in time Sulakowski turned up, pistol in each of his hands, threatening to shoot every single one of them if they proceeded. Another situation had him hacking at drunk rioters [again] from his regiment with a sabre from horseback. Following such incidents an ad-hoc disciplinary commission was set up, including "the great woman spy, Miss Belle Boyd", looking into the number and circumstances of all those cases of executions and unruly behavior of the men. Sulakowski and some of his officers who were also on trial were found to have acted correctly and honourably and things went on from there):

3rd Louisiana Regiment (Col. Hebert's. Certainly less colourful than the above. As I plan to base my bunch loosely on Hay's Brigade these don't quite fit in but oh well. They got the right state flag and fight northern aggression so they'll be fine. I'm also planning to have a fictional brigade commander too for campaigns and suchso things get a bit fantasy-ish anyhow):

So that's them, I hope you like the first two finished units of my army! C&C welcome as always!

Wonderful banner work, they really give a good sense of movement to both Regiments. Very inspiring stuff.
    ...in embracing history, let us not altogether abandon adventure, imagination, innovation and creativity, or stories of heroism, daring, action and courage.

For are these not the things that genuinely first attracted us to wargaming? To deny them is our loss. To deny them to others is a loss to the hobby.

Quote Originally Posted by sigur View Post
    @Codsticker: Yeah, I went rather uniform on those. Slight variations and such but overall a similar look. Gotta have a speckled one in there too though! Variation will be added by doing spots and stripes and whatnot on foreheads as well as socks and such.
    A common mistake a a lot of painters make- even professional ones- is that they paint the manes and tails black but leave the lower legs and muzzles brown. Which isn't a big deal but if you are the type of historical hobbiest that insists every frenchmen in a Napoleonic army have the correct coloured pom-pom on his hat then you would think that your horse would not be genetic impossibilities.

Behold, I managed to finish stuff!
    Spectacular as usual.
    Last edited by Codsticker; 21-02-2014 at 15:38.
    Quote Originally Posted by Salty
    What the Modsticker said.

@oakenshield: Thanks. Yeah, I tried some new things on these flags. Printed them myself and did the "tin foil between the flag halves thing. Takes a fair bit longer but it does really work nicely.

@mrtn: Hush comrade, don't give away the cunning infiltration plan! Yeah, that's the Louisiana state flag from back then. Originally (and after the war) it's actually a blue flag with a mighty pelican in white but many of the Southern state flags (and battle flag) looked a lot like the Federal ones early on (lotsa state flags are blue with something white on them) which is why they were changed to look differently. It is thought that the horizontal stripes are reminiscent of the French influences in Louisiana and the yellow of the star is described as "Spanish Yellow". Not sure if that's just a certain kind of yellow in flag speak or reflects Spanish influences as well.

@Codsticker:
    Quote Originally Posted by Codsticker View Post
    A common mistake a a lot of painters make- even professional ones- is that they paint the manes and tails black but leave the lower legs and muzzles brown. Which isn't a big deal but if you are the type of historical hobbiest that insists every frenchmen in a Napoleonic army have the correct coloured pom-pom on his hat then you would think that your horse would not be genetic impossibilities.
    Soooooo...........I did it properly because muzzles and lower legs aren't brown (some muzzles are brown but will be turned black lateron)? I'm using the new horse painting colour plate from the Wargaming Compendium because I still haven't found a nice, colourful book about horses as reference. Mr.Gaming Buddy's got a pretty cool one but then he's got a bunch of little daughters so stuff like that just falls into his hands.

Mors Cattus Moderatus DeathCat147's Avatar

Lovely work as usual Sigur. And Oakenshield is right, the banners really set the units off a treat

Awesome ! I enjoyed the info about the 14th Louisiana Regiment a lot ! Well done sigur

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast