Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Sigur goes South - The American Civil War

Re: Sigur goes South - The American Civil War

@DeathCat147: Thanks! Yeah, I noticed that quite a bit on that one ACW game I had last year. I mean ACW uniforms are rather unexciting but loads of flags really can make the units look great.

@kublai: Besten Dank!

Okay, another unit finished, slightly after the end of the weekend (ehem):

Until further notice (= until I find some really colourful regiment or something with a funnier name) they are the 2nd Louisiana Cavalry, depicted by company K "Alligator Rangers".

Hope that you like them! Next on the list are the Zouaves I guess.

Very nice cav !!

Can't wait to see those Zouaves though. Some of the coolest looking soldiers in history if you ask me.

@mrtn: Yeah, it's nice figures. I suppose you could use them for the American-Mexican war as well? Some Wild West stuff? Maybe the Boer Wars as boers? The uniforms are rather plain so essentially it's dudes with pants, short jackets and stiff collars. Heads can be swapped, so can weapons. Carbines are additional parts but all the bedrolls and pouches and so on on the horses are cast onto them. I'm sure you could turn them into almost anything post-18th century.

@kublai: Thanks! At least they add a spot of colour to the army. Despite the fact tthat I'm constantly struggling with time I decided to do the Louisiana Tiger Rifles so it's striped pants for everybody! So far the unit is built and I converted a bunch of the guys to wear straw hats instead of Fezzes/Zipfelmützen.

Okay, I started painting the Zouaves last night. Everybody's free to interweb-slap me for going with a work intensive as all heck colour scheme.

Okay, a bit of a late night insubstantial surprise update on the Zouaves:

Only the front rank is at the stage displayed, the second rank only have some base colours and some highlighting on the jackets done for now. On one of the guys you can see the half-hearted attempt at striped trousers. For now I thought I'd do everything else and just then proceed to the trousers.

Nice to see you having a go on them Strips are a tuff, but you can make it ! For sure

@kublai: Thanks very much. It was a bit of an Überwindung to get started on them.

Update!

I changed the approach on the trousers (went for white stripes on blue instead of the other way around) and got them done. Not only those but also the socks which are striped blue and white as well but horizontally. I guess the main work on the models is done (just barely though. Rifles, hair, some more detiail on the skin, the 'pommels' on the fezzes and of course all the bags, canteens and so on, ...)

There's a date for the first ACW game now - 24th of April. Until then I want to have a brigade of three infantry units, a cavalry unit and three bases of artillery done. Oh, and a commander of some kind would be a good idea. So once these Zouaves are done, there's still the artillery and the commander left to do.

Anyway, hope that you like them!

AWesome stuff... very nice and very colourful. I like it

@Breazer: Thanks very much! Yeah, a spot of colour between the ACW miniatures.

@mrtn: Thanks!

...and a first WIP of the brigade commander's base:

(interesting carrying device for the flagpole)

Chapter Master Karak Norn Clansman's Avatar

It rather seem like a dangerous place for that banner pouch...

Both cavalry, WIP command and WIP Zouaves look good. For some reason the latter remind me of Obelix.

I think someone tries to compensate something

Besides, from where did you get those tiny modelling flowers on the bases? That sort of thing alwys help bring a model to life.

Quote Originally Posted by kublai View Post
    I think someone tries to compensate something
    How bawdy. However, that may not a flagpole.

@Karak Norn Clansman: Well, I guess I can't fault you on the Obelix comparison. The stripes should be a bit narrower, the blue could be a little darker (but I wanted to have it look different to the jacket's blue) but oh well. If they perform Obelixesque on the battlefield I'll be okay with that. As for the flag bearer: Indeed. On the Warlord Games forums somebody quite rightly pointed out the possibly painful results of sudden changes of wind direction.

@kublai: You think?

Alrighty a little ACW update if you please.

The as of yet unnamed brigade commander:

Major Wheat's 1st Special Battalion, Louisiana Volunteer Infantry 'Louisiana Tiger Rifles':

One of the if not the most famous and oft-depicted unitsof the Confederate army. Similar to the 14th Louisiana which I painted earlier, the men of the 1st Special Battalion (Wheat was always on the lookout for more volunteers to turn his formation into a full regiment but never quite made it so settled for the 'Special Battalion' designation) were mostly recruited around New Orleans' docks. More than half of the men were of Irish decent, Germans being the second largest group amongst the ranks. In total there were men from 17 nations to be found in Wheat's Battalion. The famous Tiger Rifles uniforms were only worn by one of the companies and were phased out in favour of Confederate regulation dress (if available) as the war progressed but they make for a great looker on the table and you can't really play a Confederate army without those guys. The Zouave style (after the French light infantry troops) uniforms were very fashionable and especially so in and around New Orleans (due to the great French influence on the city and the whole state of Louisiana) where several Zouave units were raised. The red fezzes were part of the uniform and probably were worn in camp while in the field straw hats (probably because they used to be seamen's usual headgear at the time) were worn. The miniatures (Perrys ACW Zouaves plastics) only come with a variety of fezzes and at that point I had run out of hats so only about a third of the models are converted to wear the hats. It also would have been a shame not to have them wear fezzes of course.

Major Roberdeau Chatham Wheat (looking a little like Paul Bearer)

Wheat's Special Battlaion were commended for their performance at the first battle of Bull Run and got a reputation for fearless shock troops. The name Louisiana Tigers was later applied to the whole Battalion and subsequently to all troops from Louisiana serving in the army of Northern Virginia.

Hope that you like them!. Next on the list: some artillery!

P.S.: I'm in the latest issue of Henry Hyde's Wargames Miniatures magazine, hooray! (me and a mini of Empress Maria Theresa I painted, we're both to be found in the feature about last year's VIVAT show in Austria)

Great presentation and painting as usual. You know, with those colourful uniforms of the Zouaves, the American Civil War started to look interesting.

Sorry if I've asked and if you've answered it before, but where do you get your various vegetation (especially the flowery bits) for your bases? They truly help to bring the models to life.

Thanks very much. Yeah, I was basically seeking out the most 'bat-guano crazy' uniforms of the war and didn't have to look long. The thing about the ACW is that the games usually look pretty darned great. I'm not entirely sure why because the uniforms usually are really boring but the formations and flags make up for that.

For these bases I used a custom mix of static grass, some flower tufts from Army painter (I'm ashamed to say ), some GW tufts, some from MiniNatur and Tajima1.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast