Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Slow Grow Exodites - The dragon Knights of Elgadon

Slow Grow Exodites - The dragon Knights of Elgadon - Update: Colour scheme ideas

Hi all

I wanted to start a log about the project I'm undertaking - Eldar Exodites. I've loads of ideas and inspiration and I think I'll be needing a fair amount of second opinions so that I don't go off and make a hash of things!

I'll use this post as a background/intro though so please bear with me. Pictures are on their way, I promise

I'm getting back into the realm of GW hobbies after a long hiatus playing Warmahordes at a local club. I played Warhammer & 40k from the age of 13 up to leaving university, and then picked up hobbying again at around 25. A recent house & job move has meant that I can't make it to the club I used to play at any more, and my Warmahordes stuff is just a painting project at the moment, though a friend of mine does play occasionally when we meet at a house with a table

Fast Forward to September(ish) this year, and I discover that a couple of friends are starting to play 40k again as one of them moved into a house with a loft available for a table. Not wanting to be left out, I decided to try and get back into 40k again. Unfortunately most of my original Eldar (from being 13 oh so long ago) has been lost on the way through various flats/houses/student digs and I'm looking at starting from scratch.

Combine this with the fact that my wife was recently made redundant, and jobless for a month or so, and what I ended up with was some real bargains from eBay and a trading group I'm part of on Facebook. The full (frankly unbelievable) list is on my blog, so I won't take up space here with it. I've accumulated a fair chunk of guys for a round about a ton (100). I actually feel guilty having accrued so much for next to nothing, but you know what? I haven't paid GW a penny for any of it so It makes me feel warm inside

Where this leaves me now is with a truck load of inspiration, and a fair few models to put together!
    Which leads me on to the fact that our recent adoption of three kittens means that hobby time is sporadic at best. Even though I have cleaned up my desk and streamlined my set-up up for easy deployment/packing up, they have the damnedest habit of jumping up to my lap/desk when there is anything interesting to chew/paw at (pretty sure they can smell the glue/paint and want to see). So I am restricted to nap times for making any progress until they are a bit older (currently around 7 months) and more predictable/less inquisitive.

Apologies if multi posts are frowned upon, but this initial post will be massive if I don't split it up
    Last edited by ellyrius; 16-12-2013 at 22:11. Reason: Formatting

Re: Slow Grow Exodites - The dragon Knights of Elgadon

Fluff

I'm no master of prose I'm afraid so please bear with me. I think the bare bones is pretty good, and it allows some real creativity with the stock units/models

As Craftworlds, and seperate communities of Eldar began to flee the corrupiton and hedonism which was slowly taking hold of their race, some remained in order to try and provide reason and council to those lost on this path.
    Amongst these Craftworlds desperately trying to provide council and salvation was Elgadon, but eventually the seers had to make achoice between being able to save their people, and what was quickly becomming a lost cause in trying to make the rest of the Eldar see reason.
    As the seers turned Elgadon away from the Eldar homeworlds towrads the galactic east, Slaanesh's birth into the galaxy sent them tumbling off course, and crashing into a planet just short of their intended target in the same system.
    The psychic backlash of the Chaos god's birth proved to be too much for Elgadon's elders and those that survived were forever tainted with madness.
    As the surviving community of Edlar begain to colonise the planet, and make use of what resources remained from their broken craft as well as the plentful life, and resources of their new homeworld.
    The infinity matrix of the Craftworld became meshed quickly with the world spirit of the planet, creating what was then called the crone gate, allowing access to the paths of the Harlequins and Corsairs alike. This was not without danger though, as they were exposed to raids form commorragh and worse...

Society became centered around the migration of herds of the beasts used for food and other resources (fur, leather, bone) and those warriors able to tame a dragon mount rose to prominence. These Dragon Knights and even some Herdsmen became the stuff of legend as they defended settlements from megalodon attack, or worse, and upon their heroic death, their soul along with the soul of their mount, could be interred in the ancient shell of the few wraithguard remaining from the craftworld. Where these shells were damamged, and wraithbone being unavalalbe, the new caste of seers were able to sing dragon bone into the required shape to keep warrior and steed fighting.

Generation after generation of seers were afflicted by the madness suffered by the original seers of Elgadon, and whilst society is ruled by royal birth, the Hag of each generation along with her Crones and Maidens are tolerated for their portents and psychic talents.
    Last edited by ellyrius; 16-12-2013 at 22:01.

CONCEPTS

I'd like to acknowledge my biggest inspirations without labouring it too much so please peruse the below threads and kudos to the guys behind them for being so creative!

http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.ne...converted-army
    http://www.warseer.com/forums/showth...us-Army/page14
    http://eyeoferror.blogspot.co.uk/201...h-*******.html
    http://www.40konline.com/index.php?topic=207212.0

The current ideas/theme that I want to use cold ones as jetbike stand-ins and dragons (HE/DE) as wave serpents. If I can bring myself to like either of the Lizardmen beasts (Stegadon and Bastilodon) I will be using them as heavies (fire prisms etc).

I have read nothing but poor reviews for finecast and I'm determined not to include any in the army. This will mean that I intend to use some 'counts-as' models for both the Howling Banshees and Warp Spiders that I would like to include. These will be served with a healthy dosing of the fluf I have in mind for the army and the exodite world they are from, and they probably won't even go by their codex names.

The ideas behind the wraith units for the army (including an eventual wraithknight) will be that they are made from dragon/lizard bone rather than wraith as this won't be as readily available on a non-craftworld settlement. I intend to represent this with scales and horns added in greenstuff to the domed helmet areas of the wraiths. I discovered a video demonstrating some instamold and decided that the scales of dragons/cold ones would make a good basis to get this texture.
    The idea I have for the wraithnkight is lots of large bones/fangs (I'm looking at you ogre kingdoms) and the sails from the Dark Eldar flyers as wings for the back, replacing warp vanes. Hopefully I can make it look suitably feral/dragon like. Vampire counts zombie dragon head integration?

Warp Spiders 'Guardians of the Crone gate'
    I've seen some really fantastic warp spider conversions (http://brinkschaostheory.blogspot.co...p-spiders.html for one), and frankly the stock poses weren't great the first time around. Also 'finecast'
    So at the moment I have the below 'plans' to make a unit of ten I think:
    -Backpack/warp generator
    Dark Eldar Jetbike Caltrop device plus guardian back vanes, which I think will look 'warpy' enough whilst also looking sleek and nimble (and kind of spider like). Also if I add 4 guardian vane things, that's a total of 8 limbs. Clever, right?
    -Webspinner gun
    Dark Eldar Shredder as this is reminiscent of the shape of the 'official' armament and looks a lot more sleek, IMO more befitting of sneaky warp jump types.
    -Heads
    Dark Eldar Wych/Jetbike smooth helmet. I'm not 100% sure why, but I think they look awesome for warp spiders. It allows me to get the aspect transfer right in there too, and looks immensely creepy without eyes.
    -Exarch blade arms
    Dark Eldar Wych spiny/thorny arms. I just think these fit a spider idea to be honest. I wonder if I will magnetise this choice for the other Exarch upgrade... As mentioned I have no idea about the new rules in the slightest so this entire concept is from a modellers perspective only.

Howling Banshees 'Maidens'
    I'll be open and honest here, because there’s no way to hide it really. I will be emulating these: http://www.40konline.com/index.php?topic=207212.60
    I did have an idea to make some based on female DE/Guardian torsos plus DE power swords, but to be honest these look too amazing to pass up. I'm not sure I will use the shuriken pistol idea from these, more likely the DE holstered pistol or just plain old 'counts as' because the rest of the army flies in the face of WYSIWYG any way.

The mounted versions of these are wholey inspired by the new Dark Elf Doomfire warlocks, unfortunately for me the legs are moulded to the mounts to I can't really pilfer them for my Cold Ones. I'm thinking DE jetbike rider legs plus Wych torsos with as little clothing as possible and dryad heads (bear with me) which look awesome in the below thread (which was also heavily inspiring for making my own Warp Spiders)
    http://www.warseer.com/forums/showth...us-Army/page12
    The combination of Grave Guard legs and DE torsos is appealing here, but doesn't really mesh with my idea for the mounted versions of these characters. So I'm not sure at all how the un-mounted versions will turn out. One to ponder. The concept here is that the Crones are a warrior bodyguard for the Hag herself.
    The Hag will be the plastic Dark Elf sorceress with suitable dragon type bits added, perhaps a scale cloak for example., which leads me to thinking that Witch Elves would work as crones...

Shining Spears 'Dragon Knights'
    Essentially Cold One mounted Dire Avengers. I'm not sure how the legs are going to look yet. Guardian legs will be easiest to use as they are obviously in two parts to adjust over the saddle. However one batch of Cold Ones that are en route at the time of writing are coming with the Dark Elf riders, so perhaps this will be the best way to represent them. I am a little worried that this won't look sci fi enough if I'm honest.

Jetbikes Herdsmen??
    Note sure that they need a new name, but everyone else is getting one so it only seems fair.
    As mentioned, Cold Ones will be representing any mounted Eldar. I want to make the knights and these guys look really nomadic, with a bedroll each, and plenty of stowed effects, personal or otherwise, as they roam the continent on the search for new pasture and beasts to capture and train.

Wave Serpents – Dragons
    This
    http://eyeoferror.blogspot.co.uk/201...h-*******.html
    Also this
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.ne...converted-army

I've a High Elf Dragon new in box and a Dark Elf dragon on it's way, assembled (wings separate) so I'm going to be adding and converting these as much as my inspiration lets me
    I would like at least one more wave serpent and depending on availability this will be a second of either of the above. Not sure yet if I have a preference.
    Last edited by ellyrius; 16-12-2013 at 21:55.

Upcoming/next on the painting table

In order of priority. Starred items are motivators to be completed after the preceding listed items.
    These may or may not be completed in order, cat allowing (please see first post), as they are occaisionally to just sit and watch and let me do some of the less involved stuff, and sometime s I can't use glue safely etc so we shall see.

As at 16/12/2013 (Yes, I'm British)
    -Dire Avengers need arms clipping and cleaning ready to paint seperately.
    -Mounted Guardians need devising, I have some ideas around the Shuriken Cannon upgrades plus instamold as well so I'd like to get this tested.
    **Wraiths. I want to get the unmodified portions of the Wraithguard/blades and Wraithlord made up so that I can begin to pose them etc on bases, as well as getting a better view of how to modify them.
    -New Milliput basing 'slate' making up as per this thread.
    -Striking Scorpions require basing. Pinning to new base with cork & slate added.
    **Wave Serpents. Looking forward to getting stuck into modifying the dragon kits to a more suitable wave serpent proxy. I'm hopeful that insta-mold will really be useful here.

This will hopefully all be a lot closer to finish once holiday season is over, and there aren't quite so many social engagements etc. Work will also be quieter over this period so I'm anticipating being on call a lot less (read not at all).

--------------------------------------------------------
    Last edited by ellyrius; 16-12-2013 at 21:25.

Brother Sergeant

Nice to see a fellow exodite army.
    Seems like you have a good plan putting together some recommended already proven fine ideas and your own.
    Looking forward to see your ideas.

greetings

Thanks for the support. Is there somewhere I can see your Exodites?

I'm hoping to be able to get the fluff written up today, and then I'll add to the progress/up next post.

Busy weekend hasn't left me much time at all to get stuck in!

Ell

I've mocked up a couple of colour schemes that I like, although I'm not sure which one looks the best/will be easiest to paint. TO be fair there will be minimal guardians in the army do it shouldn't be too pervasive as aspect armour incorporates the key colours only (red and black). I'm leaning towards the black helm with red faceplate at the moment.

Please let me know what you think!

Brother Sergeant

I like the first one better.

I'm going the more classy way with my project. Less Eldar, more Woodelves and Fantasy Parts.
    Take a look here

greetings

Nice work, subscribed

I prefer the one on the left too. If no o e else chips in to the contrary we have a winner to start experimenting with

Cheers

Update!
    I've started some work on making the dragon riders a little more apt for the concept

I think the scales i've added in place of the chainmail look pretty good if i say so my self, and I'll be rolling this out across all the guys when I get time to work on them.

I also mocked up the Black dragon for how the Wave Serpent weapons. I will be magnetising all the options, and have ordered more weapons sprues in order to fit all three dragons

I did want to have some kind of rider, as I will have on the high Elf dragon, but I was struggling to find room to place one. I might have someone on the base communicating to some kind of psychic device/implant on the dragon? not sure but it will be strange just having the dragon as an autonomous transport. any one have any ideas/advice?

Hopefully more work to come soon with quiet time leading up to new year

Thanks!
    Ell

Brother Sergeant

Great idea with the scales on the legs. I think it will look great with some dinosaurs below, but make sure to cover all the cloth parts.

Not sure about the dragon yet. The weapon system looks a bit out of place for me. The problem about the rider is the head/neck of the dragon. It's really hard to fit a rider proberly. Even the original modell doesnt look so well.
    Maybe you can stretch the neck and make the head look forward on the same level like the back. Like that the modell would look a lot better and you can place the rider right behind the head.

greetings

Thanks, the legs were just a quick mock up whilst i had some time last night, I think it will look good once teh unit is complete

I'm really in two minds about the dragon at the moment. I only sourced a Black dragon as a variation from the High Elf one as I knew I'd need multiple wave serpents.

I think the weapon mount/harness looks good enough to integrate the weapons, but I'm not sure at all about what to do withthe rest of it... I might try a dark elf jetbike rider (as they are in a more prone position) behind the weapons, because I think a seperate (unmounted) figure 'supervising' the dragon wouldn't look good enough.

Next up will be to try and dry fit the first High Elf dragon, to see what that looks like

Thanks
    Ell

Thanks, the legs were just a quick mock up whilst i had some time last night, I think it will look good once teh unit is complete

I'm really in two minds about the dragon at the moment. I only sourced a Black dragon as a variation from the High Elf one as I knew I'd need multiple wave serpents.

I think the weapon mount/harness looks good enough to integrate the weapons, but I'm not sure at all about what to do withthe rest of it... I might try a dark elf jetbike rider (as they are in a more prone position) behind the weapons, because I think a seperate (unmounted) figure 'supervising' the dragon wouldn't look good enough.

Next up will be to try and dry fit the first High Elf dragon, to see what that looks like

Thanks
    Ell

Brother Sergeant

Yeah, i think the High Elf dragon will be much better to handle with weapons and rider because of his positioning. There are some versions of it on the net already. Maybe you can try to bring the black dragon into the same position. As i said strech the neck forwards and change the position of the head to make it more look like the High Elf dragon.

About the weapons: try to make them synchronal. (the gems look crooked) The accurateness and perfection of the eldar is a pain in the $"%&, but necessary to consider.

greetings

I'm not sure my green stuffing/sculpting skills are up to such a big modification on the dragon to be honest. I think you're right though.

the picture above is just blue tac'd together to see if it would work, I will be a lot neater when I make it 'properly'

Thanks

Hi

Happy New Year, and all the rest

I've had chance to make some progress over the holiday period and I have made the first wave serpent up to the point of requiring 'crew' including magnetising a weapon mount

This week I will hopefully be working on adding a rider, and the relevant pieces to stop it looking like 'just' a dragon. I'm still waiting on some 60mm bases to arrive so that I can mount it and add some spare guardians to the base/abseiling down from the dragon to represent transport.

I received some well Xmas presents in the new plastic Farseer and Finecast Spiritseer. I had planned on converting these from scratch in order to better fit the fluff, but I will use these models and hopefully make then look a little more dragon-like.
    In this vein, I broke out the instamold today for a test idea on the Spiritseer's helmet. I tried to capture the spiny ridge from a cold one, and I think it looks great. I'm not sure my phone's camera shows it briliantly but hopefully you can see the results.

In other news, I've ordered some new dice ready for when I get gaming again, and some new, thinner, cork to help me vary the bases a bit. Also, the idea of a schedule is proving fruitless, so I'll use it more as a guide, and hopefully get things done anyway

Thanks
    Ell
    Last edited by ellyrius; 26-01-2014 at 18:50.

I've made some progress to share!
    First off, bases - possibly my favourite part of the hobby. Two bases for the High elf Waveserpents, and the black dragon in situ on his. I also did similar (smaller) bases for the mounts of Shining Spears.

Secondly, I've obtained an old metal carnosaur and couldn't help but start work on my Autarch

Image limit...

Detail of Autarch's lance

I'm hoping to get some liquid greenstuff to help with gap filling and smoothing off the spear, as well as a can of primer to start work on the bases.

I also have some of my old Lego sets coming from my parents house this Sunday so I can start to make some moulds for extras like cloaks (of which I was kindly gifted some corsair cloaks) and other detail parts.

More to come soon I hope

Cheers
    Last edited by ellyrius; 27-01-2014 at 20:41.

Brother Sergeant

Looking fantastic so far, especially love what you've done with the spear. Is the tip made out of two wraithguard blades?

How much more do you have to go before you're able to start painting?

Hi there

Yes its two wraithguard blades. I think it looks suitably historic from the first days of the exidite world

I need to get my dire avengers catapults cleaned and my scorpions based and the last three dragon knights built and then I'm hoping to be able to base coat the lot at once so I can get cracking

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast