Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: mrtn's muddy puttees

Re: mrtn's muddy puttees

Man you are quick ! Very nice

Keep them coming.

Quote Originally Posted by sigur View Post
    Nicely done. These are some really fine miniatures.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Karak Norn Clansman View Post
    Nice indeed. It's always good to see WWI get a treatment. The feldgrau looks right now.
    Thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by kublai View Post
    Man you are quick ! Very nice

Keep them coming.
    Thanks.

A French company called Forgotten and Glorious was kind enough to send out free tester models to people. I asked for one of their 1916 French. The model came with a loose head, and very little in the way of mould lines and flash. It's quite tall, 28 or 28.5mm from foot to eye, but not very bulky (looking at the pics on their website I thought they would be bulkier). Here it is with a Great War Miniatures German to the left, and two Warlord Games (WWII) Frenchmen to the right. Especially the Warlord officer is shorter, but I'd still let them join the same army.

That looks like a very nice sculpt.
    Quote Originally Posted by Salty
    What the Modsticker said.

Chapter Master

SOoooo.....may I "borrow" those troops for a couple of years? Darn fine looking troops sir. Just in case.....Do you have any minies for the mountain troops?
    I am therefore I think OR I think therefore I am?

Looking great!

Brigade Games have some WWI French you may like: http://brigadegames.3dcartstores.com/France_c_373.html

Thanks guys!
    @Killshot: I'd rather not order directly from the US, last time I did my 400 SEK Reaper order got hit with 300 SEK import tax. And I haven't been able to find a Brigade Games distributor with more than a couple of blisters in the EU.

These are the last of the current batch of French, though I just ordered some Senegalese Tirailleurs from Woodbine.

They'll get their baptism of fire tomorrow in a 700 point Bolt Action battle.

Ah, now those are looking mighty fine! Are those WW2 French now? What's that LMG in the one guy's hands?

Thank you! I'm pretty sure I've said earlier in the thread that I'll use them for both WW2 and WW1 (colonial troops). These are mainly Warlord WW2 troops, including the LMG. I did order some chauchats from Woodbine though so I'll be able to replace them for WW1 gaming.

Neato. So you're basically adding cuffs, those little helmet knubs and some more period-specific stuff they carry around?

Great idea mrtn. I'm wondering; are the cuffs and helmets enough to make them historical accurate ? Not meant as critic. I'm just curious. The rifles must be different as well I reckon.

Thanks guys. Yeah, the basic changes I do is that I add the cuffs, remove the (oh, what's it called, harness thingy?), remove the pockets, use some cut off round sprue as gasmask cannister, and add the helmet nubs. The latest ones are particularly fiddly being about a mm³, and I dropped a couple on the way. Now I've also run out of that thin thin rod of plastic I was using, so we'll have to see what I'll do in the future.
    As to the rifles the Kar98k was 1 cm longer than the Kar98a, a difference that's negligible at 28mm scale. According to Wikipedia "During World War I, the Karabiner 98a was issued to cavalry, to mountain troops, and later to "established" assault units. It was liked because it was lighter and shorter than the Gewehr 98, and was thus better suited for use in trench assaults." So that's how I wriggle out of that one.

Barbedwire from a spiral notepad, that is very inventive. consider the idea borrowed

Goodlooking french and germans ....but wouldn't it be easier to buy some late WW1 Germans instead of converting them? I mean those conversions look really good, but for myself it would be to much hassle.

Quote Originally Posted by Steam_Giant View Post
    Barbedwire from a spiral notepad, that is very inventive. consider the idea borrowed
    Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karak Norn Clansman View Post
    Nice frogs and huns. That must be the most inventive tightwad trick for barbed wire I've ever heard of.
    Thanks. Yeah, I do enjoy making nice stuff out of old crap. See the models below...
    Quote Originally Posted by Corvussanctus View Post
    Goodlooking french and germans ....but wouldn't it be easier to buy some late WW1 Germans instead of converting them? I mean those conversions look really good, but for myself it would be to much hassle.
    Thank you. Yes, it's easier to buy them. This isn't a whole army I'm converting, it's just a few models to fill out the ranks. I have bought five blisters from GWM already and I'm likely to buy more.

This is a batch of old Foundry early WWI French I picked up for a few quid. Unfortunately some of them had been attacked by lead rot, so I started by trying to remove as much of that as I could before painting. They also had some broken off rifles and so on...
    Since I already have late war French I didn't want to paint up yet another era, so I hit on the idea of painting them as the French Foreign Legion. Yes, there are probably a few things wrong, the slouchy type of kepi for example, but on the table top it should be pretty obvious what they're meant to represent.

No, I don't know why I have a lone machine gun loader either...

Ah, the portable sniper-plates! Never seen them used on the tabletop.

While i'm at it...partly inspired by this plog, i ordered some great war late germans and they have awfully lots of flash and lead-lumps...it takes forever to clean them up, and when i think i'm done i find even more while i'm painting them. Is this normal for great war miniatures or did i just happen to grab a bad lot?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast