Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Self-made modular board (Mordheim, Hero Quest...)

A dark necropolis (Mordheim, Hero Quest...)

---
    Hey all. This is my latest project, in which I am trying to create a dynamic, modular terrain for the purposes of a
    Mordheim campaign, but also to serve for the jolly old Hero Quest. The point is to have lots of portable platforms, elevated sections, walls, tunnels and so on that can be mixed and mashed together to create various layouts, depending of what the current game needs. The theme is (no surprises here), a dark underground dungeon or a necropolis. All larger stone parts are made by me from styrofoam and cellular foam. You may also notice some familiar GW bits and pieces, particularly from the Garden of Morr and maybe later from Witchfate Tor, too.

Why I started this project? I did my wargaming back in the 90s, and have more or less just stalked the genre after that. I've been aching to get back into the hobby for some time, so I thought to give it a shot. I didn't want to make my dungeon from the awfully popular Hirst molds or the likes either, but rather give it a self-made flavor in good and bad. Forgive my shabby craftsmanship - I'm by no means a pro at this, just dabbling this and that. Hope you enjoy! Question, comment & advice alike welcome!
    ---

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gargoyle2.jpg 
Views:	898 
Size:	413.0 KB 
ID:	186890
    Gargoyle watches over the necropolis (and neatly shows the scale)

Name:	overview6.jpg 
Views:	1071 
Size:	75.9 KB 
ID:	186891
    Overview of the same part

Name:	tunnel1.jpg 
Views:	636 
Size:	114.3 KB 
ID:	186892
    Portable tunnel pieces to connect larger platforms
    Last edited by Nychthemeron; 24-02-2014 at 16:23.

Re: Self-made modular board (Mordheim, Hero Quest...)

Name:	overview8.jpg 
Views:	1828 
Size:	139.1 KB 
ID:	186912
    An example of a possible platform connection

Name:	joining2.jpg 
Views:	691 
Size:	473.5 KB 
ID:	186914
    Closeup
    Last edited by Nychthemeron; 10-02-2014 at 11:58.

Nice!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Really good looking so far! Personally i would do a little variation in colour, that would fit the effort you put into it already.

Thumbs up for not doing the hirst arts method
    They may look good, but i prefer much more to have something individual.

Thanks for the comments, guys!

About the color scheme:

Yeah, as you probably figure this is all still very much in-progress. I will probably try adding some brown to the stone platforms to simulate dirt and mud that has been carried in with boots. Maybe do some Dead Grass -colored flocking here and there. And I will definitely paint the vines and roses in the Garden of Morr pieces when I have more time for details.

Currently I'm working with another big square board (similar to the one seen as the base of the overview), and another large elevated section. The current elevated section is 3 + 2 squares (inches) in height, and the porticulis-slash-bridge part rises comparably to the height of 5". This new elevated section will be 5 + 3 in height, raising the dungeon to the maximum height of 8". This will be the planned ground level, where the color scheme will probably alter a bit. Most of the board is meant to reflect a dark, underground dungeon, which is why the colors are quite dark and dim. At this highest level of 8", I will try to use a bit lighter shade of stone, maybe more growth in the form of vines and moss, and so on. This level is supposed to cover the entrance to the dungeon (or maybe it will be at 10", I don't know yet). It's still at the stage of cutting foam, so I don't yet have too high hopes about it, but we'll see!

Meanwhile, here's some pictures of one alternative setup, using the same parts as seen in the previous pictures.

Name:	alternative1.jpg 
Views:	467 
Size:	414.6 KB 
ID:	186997Click image for larger version. 

Name:	alternative2.jpg 
Views:	348 
Size:	394.7 KB 
ID:	186998Click image for larger version. 

Name:	alternative3.jpg 
Views:	335 
Size:	375.8 KB 
ID:	186996

In this dungeon, the entrance could be in the crates room. From there, the way goes through the skeleton gate, under the arched gateway, up the stairs, through another door, and finally over the portcullis bridge. For a longer dungeon or a Mordheim match, the connection to the next board could be like this:

Name:	second1.jpg 
Views:	500 
Size:	80.1 KB 
ID:	186999

But these are just some options. Nothing is glued on, so the spread could be whatever.

If you have ideas, don't hesitate to share!
    Last edited by Nychthemeron; 10-02-2014 at 12:58.

Chaplain

really loving this - subscribed and will be following with great interest
    http://gwpertinent.blogspot.com - A blog to do with all things GW pertinent I'm toying with.

The second board is now almost painted, but the big plateau still waits to be assaulted. Maybe next week...

Meanwhile, I did some large rock boulders from foam. My first attempt ever, by the way. Considering that, I was pretty satisfied with the outcome. No flocking or anything, as these are supposed to be bare underground rocks, and in most cases freshly collapsed. Could perhaps try drybrushing some brown into the mix, or what do you think?

Name:	boulders1.jpg 
Views:	374 
Size:	417.3 KB 
ID:	187117Click image for larger version. 

Name:	boulders3.jpg 
Views:	315 
Size:	433.4 KB 
ID:	187118Click image for larger version. 

Name:	boulders4.jpg 
Views:	299 
Size:	443.7 KB 
ID:	187119

They are for the simple purpose of blocking off some directions, when needed, and to serve as the "falling boulders" trap enhancement in Hero Quest. Like so:

Name:	rockslide3.jpg 
Views:	408 
Size:	385.0 KB 
ID:	187120Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rockslide2.jpg 
Views:	287 
Size:	360.4 KB 
ID:	187121Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rockslide4.jpg 
Views:	427 
Size:	456.4 KB 
ID:	187122Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rockslide5.jpg 
Views:	302 
Size:	467.1 KB 
ID:	187123

Chaplain

For the rock boulder pieces I have 2 suggestions. One is I wouldn't drybrush with brown - I don't think it would get you the desired effect (which I'm assuming is basically - the floors from higher levels collapsing on top - you mentioned a different colour for those upper levels) instead I'd suggest using a powder if you can get some - preferably one that matches your intended colours for the ground floors.

Second - something cool for those pieces would maybe be some condensation? Some glossy varnish or water effects in places - running down and pooling near the bottom.
    http://gwpertinent.blogspot.com - A blog to do with all things GW pertinent I'm toying with.

Now these pics really please me
    Great idea with the rock boulders closing the passways. It looks very athmospheric.
    Depending on the finished look you want to achieve i would recommend to highlight the whole thing stept by step with grey to almost white and then washing it doen with dark brown (partially) and blue/dark grey colours if you want to achieve a more cold and fierce dungeon look (maybe add some metal and rust effects on the iron parts), or - if you want to achieve a more natural look just leave out the blue colours and add in some green/redish colours maybe add moss and withering effects.

@natsirtm: I'm a little hesitant with water effects with these pieces, as they need to be able to moved to just about any order independently from one another. A pool of water somewhere might prevent certain setups, as would a sewage pipe elsewhere. But I will be thinking about it. Certainly there will be some similar details to be added. Thanks!

@MasterSplinter: Lazy as I am, I think I'll leave the color to rather dark gray highlighted/powdered with white for now. For the pieces from the Garden of Morr and so on, I will be doing some details and additional colors later. Metal and rust, like you suggested, roses, vines and such. I will also experiment with adding a bit mossy look to some parts of the stone walls, yes.

I working with the monster of the big plateau section currently. I decided to make about half of its walls natural stone (or worked stone that has later crumbled down) and about half worked stone like in the small elevated section seen in the previous pictures. In addition, I have a pile of wooden levels and platforms waiting to be painted. They will later be added to offer multiple passway solutions to the higher sections. More images of the progress next week, hopefully.

Chaplain

I wasn't thinking so much a big pool of water or pipes, rather just some "wet" looking rocks, as opposed to kind of a dusty effect, a condensation effect. Usually one of the two happens with collapsing areas.

Here we have a look at the said plateau section. This rises to the maximum height of 8" or so and leaves plenty of space for buildings, separate walls or whatnot. One long side is intact with tiles, while the other has crumbled down, revealing natural stone underneath. The foam boards weren't pressed together firmly enough in the gluing phase (a tip to those doing similar boards: screw the foam boards together when gluing, or use toothpicks and weight to keep them firmly pressed together overnight), so there is an ugly gap here and there. I stuffed out the worst before priming, yet some remains. But I suppose I can live with it, as I'm not aiming for perfection with this project anyway.

Have a look!

Name:	plateau1.jpg 
Views:	219 
Size:	66.5 KB 
ID:	187535Click image for larger version. 

Name:	plateau2.jpg 
Views:	230 
Size:	114.8 KB 
ID:	187536Click image for larger version. 

Name:	plateau3.jpg 
Views:	237 
Size:	446.9 KB 
ID:	187537
    Last edited by Nychthemeron; 18-02-2014 at 14:49.

Chaplain

just cover the gaps with something? ooze or moss or something

I will probably do just that at some point, yeah. Besides, I have a box of dead grass waiting to be applied anyway. But that will have to wait. I got my hands on the would-be center of my necropolis, the Witchfate Tor, which is slowly becoming a four-to-five-leveled ruined tower, much like a big version of Dreadstone Blight. I don't understand the reviewers who've said that Witchfate Tor can only be assembled with one set layout. It's a kit of great variety, especially if you throw in some random bits!

No big progress. Made some ruined buildings and broken walls from foamcore. Includes a couple entrances as well. Portable like all other parts. There's also one of my gargoyles guarding the entrance to the "Witchfate Blight".

Name:	ruins2.jpg 
Views:	652 
Size:	411.9 KB 
ID:	188000Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ruins4.jpg 
Views:	664 
Size:	435.9 KB 
ID:	188001Click image for larger version. 

Name:	entrance3.jpg 
Views:	382 
Size:	425.0 KB 
ID:	188003Click image for larger version. 

Name:	entrance4.jpg 
Views:	389 
Size:	480.1 KB 
ID:	188004

Self-made modular board (Mordheim, Hero Quest...)

Looks great! What materials are you using? Is it all foam board? Cork can be useful for stone effects. For subtle colour you could use really watered down base (used to be foundation) paints. Gretchin green gives a nice hint of mould
    *subbed

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks, Andy. It's mostly foam board or cellular foam of various thicknesses. Not really as optimal as the "pink or blue foamboard" most people are using, but more readily available in my location. (Read: much cheaper.) I've been pretty satisfied with it, although my pieces aren't nothing compared to many posted in Warseer. I think mine are a good example of what you can make with simple materials and very little practice. I'll surely try making rocks out of cork when I manage to find out suitably affordable pieces.

Here's some more pictures of HeroQuest style dungeon settings. All wall, floor and tunnel pieces are interchangeable.

Name:	levels8.jpg 
Views:	292 
Size:	475.2 KB 
ID:	191600Click image for larger version. 

Name:	levels7.jpg 
Views:	289 
Size:	83.8 KB 
ID:	191601Click image for larger version. 

Name:	levels10.jpg 
Views:	276 
Size:	84.3 KB 
ID:	191602
    A large storage room with some skeletons. Tunnel leads out from a doorway, but ladders open a way up and across the previous tunnel as well.

Name:	levels5.jpg 
Views:	234 
Size:	448.7 KB 
ID:	191603Click image for larger version. 

Name:	levels16.jpg 
Views:	373 
Size:	445.3 KB 
ID:	191604Click image for larger version. 

Name:	levels17.jpg 
Views:	235 
Size:	428.8 KB 
ID:	191605
    Some more pictures of possible layouts and the adventures of a Fanatic Wizard.
    Last edited by Nychthemeron; 16-04-2014 at 14:56.

Re: A dark necropolis (Mordheim, Hero Quest...)

Keep it coming! Love the shots with your minis in cork table mats are a good source of cheap cork ( try dunelm mill in the uk)

Andy T's Necromunda Plog

Chaplain

So do I understand this right, all the stairs, walls, arches, gargoyles and stuff are separate and you just lay them on top of some flat tiles you have made?
    How stable is it? For some reason I was under the impression each board section was static, and you would alter the layout by rotating which way they sit against each other.

Quote Originally Posted by natsirtm View Post
    So do I understand this right, all the stairs, walls, arches, gargoyles and stuff are separate and you just lay them on top of some flat tiles you have made?
    How stable is it?
    It's about as stable as the creator.

You are right. All stairs, walls and floor tiles are separate. There are some larger buildings constructs among the pieces, like the long fortified wall seen in the last pictures among the mix, but mostly the idea is just that: you can throw them in any order over the tiles. The tiles can form tunnels, rooms, plazas, and the like. It's an open palette. Downside is that it isn't totally stable. If you push the tiles by accident, they will move. I'm thinking of adding a thin layer of rubber sheet under the tiles to stabilize them more. They've proved to be stabile enough for some HeroQuest gaming. Mordheim I'm yet to try...

I will take some pictures of the separate pieces later so that you'll get the idea.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast