Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: D.C.147's Danelaw Saga.

D.C.147's Danelaw Saga.

D.C.147'S Danelaw Saga

A friend and I thought we would take our first tentative steps into playing historical wargames after coming across Studio Tomahawks brilliant Saga rule set. Having watched a couple of YouTube videos about it, we decided to dive right in and pick up the rules and a four point warband each. My friend has chosen the Anglo-Saxons and I've picked the Vikings.

Here I will be documenting my efforts to construct, convert, sculpt, and paint our respective forces. We have been so enthused by this project and the Saga rules that we have begun working on a set of map based campaign rules, using the Saga rule set and battleboards as inspiration. Once we have done a preliminary playtest we hope to share them here and get some feedback.

The map we have chosen to use as a test bed will be based upon the section of the Danelaw in our local area (North Buckinghamshire and parts of the surrounding counties), from Oxford in the west to just past Bedford in the east, and from Northampton down to Aylesbury in the south. I have begun researching as many ancient local place names as possible to help with constructing the map, as well as digging up old maps for reference.

Once my latest bit of G.S work has finished drying I will pop up some pictures for your perusal
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	91261dac3a.jpg 
Views:	1587 
Size:	55.9 KB 
ID:	188287  
    Last edited by DeathCat147; 01-03-2014 at 17:34.

Re: D.C.147's Danelaw Saga.

Nice! Between this and the premiere of vikings I'm looking forward to getting to grips with my own SAGA models.
    Plog of Jericho - Wood Elves, Daemons, Beastmen, CSM and Whatnot.

MD: You got a christmas gift?
    House: Yeah, 'cause I worship Santa. Or wait, is that Satan? I always get them mixed up.

Quote Originally Posted by DeathCat147 View Post

Once my latest bit of G.S work has finished drying I will pop up some pictures for your perusal
    Excellent, I look forward to that as well as following your campaign.
    Quote Originally Posted by Salty
    What the Modsticker said.

Quote Originally Posted by Satan View Post
    Nice! Between this and the premiere of vikings I'm looking forward to getting to grips with my own SAGA models.
    I keep meaning to pick up the first season of Vikings, but I keep getting distracted And I look forward to seeing your Saga models

Quote Originally Posted by Codsticker View Post
    Excellent, I look forward to that as well as following your campaign.
    Well good news, as I've just taken some pics of the WIP models that I've altered and sculpted stuff onto so far

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WIP Bondi

WIP Hirdmen

Sorry about the terrible pictures. I still need to play around with my camera set-up and add some better lighting.

C&C welcome
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bondi.jpg 
Views:	984 
Size:	83.4 KB 
ID:	188366   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hirdmen1.jpg 
Views:	983 
Size:	57.8 KB 
ID:	188367  

Your greenstuff work is great- very natural and clean.

Ohh. A great start, will follow this with interest.

Quote Originally Posted by Codsticker View Post
    Your greenstuff work is great- very natural and clean.
    Thank you sir. I must say the same about your sculpting work

Quote Originally Posted by Engel View Post
    Ohh. A great start, will follow this with interest.
    Thank you

Heyhey, very cool project. I shall look forward for how you guys proceed. Last year a friend and I did a similar things, same armies too. Got everything done, then I realized that I acknowledge Saga for being a clever and innovative set of game rules but not what I'm looking for. It's a cool game though, no question about that. So have fun and all the best to the Anglo-Saxon guy.

Thanks sigur Funnily enough it was seeing your Anglo-Saxons that made me take a look at Saga. My mate was very impressed by them too A pity that Saga wasn't quite your cup of tea.

i also bought a copy of the saga rules and proxied models for a game. although we havent played since, i love the theme and looking at great projects like yours scratches that itch :-) cheers

p.s. you need more light when taking photos. the focus is good though.

A minor update to show that there is some form of progress

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WIP Hirdmen

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hird2.jpg 
Views:	929 
Size:	68.5 KB 
ID:	188725

WIP Bondi

Name:	Spear1.jpg 
Views:	927 
Size:	72.0 KB 
ID:	188726

Name:	Spear2.jpg 
Views:	912 
Size:	75.2 KB 
ID:	188727

Once I have added the accessories to these guys and G.S'ed the bases, they will be ready for painting. I've got one more unit of Hirdsmen, two units of Thegns and a unit of Ceorls on the table to G.S. Then it will be on to constructing the last units of Bondi and Ceorls, along with our Warlords to take each warband to four points.

In related news, I have ordered the Saxon village set and the Medieval cottage from 4Ground to add some variety to our terrain and the scenarios we can play.

So I've spent some of this afternoon giving a house a centre parting My 4Ground order came in and I just had to take a look at the quality and see how easy it was to put together. Quality wise the kits are excellent and far better than I thought they would be from the pictures on their site. Construction wise they are a bit fiddly (windows and doors), but they are quite sturdy once put together. The teddy bear fur as thatching works really well, and I'm sure it will look even better once its been trimmed and had its coat of watered down PVA.

Warband wise I've finished G.S'ing all my Vikings (except the unconstructed unit of Bondi) and I've done one unit of Thegns. And few evenings ago I played around with some parts I had ordered and blutacked together the start of my berserkers They will need a fair bit of work, but I'm really looking forward to the challenge.
    Last edited by DeathCat147; 11-03-2014 at 21:15.

What is your secret for getting the GS so smooth and such a nice blend into the existing model?

I use a set of rubber/silicon tipped clay shapers. They have been a god send It use a chisel headed one to smooth things out and blend as much as possible. Then if its not entirely blended into the details, I use the round pointed shaper or the blade/wedge shaped shaper to smooth the G.S into folds and other awkward areas. Lubrication is also key.
    Last edited by DeathCat147; 12-03-2014 at 07:53.

Loving this project so far. Hope to see it continue!

Thought I would share some pictures showing the two forces as they stand at the moment.

Anglo-Saxons

Name:	005.JPG 
Views:	1023 
Size:	150.3 KB 
ID:	189260

Vikings

Name:	004.JPG 
Views:	822 
Size:	197.7 KB 
ID:	189261

Nice work so far!

Thanks warriorsanddice I'm hoping to get some more done fairly soon. Thankfully there isn't much left

I'm just getting into Saga and I've got a load of Vikings put together. Although the glue was bad and they all keep falling apart. A chap at my club suggested I soaked them in warm water and tried again, worked a treat.

Just need to get them all sorted out and glued back together now though!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast