Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Enter the Drakwald - Game Thread

Enter the Drakwald - Game Thread

Ok before we start some simple posting guidelines. Out of character stuff here should be kept to a minimum (that's what the other thread is for). If you do need to say some thing use the letters OOC: , to switch back again use IC: (in-character). Your character should be referred to in third-person eg. Max picked up his sword. To post dialogue please use "speech marks" and italics. Finally if you want to request an action you can type Action: hit the goblin like this in bold letters.

You are in the town of Mittleweg, which lies on the forest road between Altdorf and Middenheim. You arrived here for your own reasons, perhaps you are seeking local employment or perhaps you are merely a traveller passing though while exploring The Empire. On arrival you noticed that the gate-guards seemed edgy. On reaching the local tavern you heard gossip that there had been a spate of recent attacks on travellers using the roads near the town and that no-one knows who is responsible.

It is mid-afternoon and you are settled in the common room of the tavern eating a meal, surrounded by a handful of locals and other travellers. At that point the tavern door swings open and in walks a burly man who is latter middle-aged with greying hair. He also carries an axe at his waist. Beside him is a younger man perhaps half his age. The older man surveys the room and then speaks, raising his gruff voice so everyone will hear: "For those who don't know me my name is Kasper and I'm the captain of the local militia. As many of you will be aware there has been a spate of recent attacks upon the roads. The last victims were a pair of our own road-wardens. What we need is a posse of brave warriors to investigate these killings and put at stop to them. The town magistrate offers a prize of 40 gold crowns to any group that brings the perpetrators to justice." He glances round once more at the assembled throng. "Do we have any volunteers?" You notice the locals all stare into their cups.
    Gorfang Rotgut - RIP.

Re: Enter the Drakwald - Game Thread

This would be the last time he'd go down all the way to Nuln for the sake of an irrelevant monthly report, Schneider promised himself.
    But then again, he'd promised just the same thing the last time he went down to Nuln. Travelling all that way, almost across half of the Empire, to deliver in-person a nonsense report to the Coastal Artillery Garison in Nuln that stated the same thing month after month..."No enemy activity along the coastline. Situation normal".

As Schneider sat in the dimmly litt corner of the taverns common room, washing down the last slice of that bitter tasting pie with a big gulp of the local brew, he remembered the good times he spent in the dank Artillery College Library. Spending the days learning how to properly handle the distortions of long range optics, harness the power of blackpowder or reading about the wonders of steam technology was probably the best times he'd had in his life.
    But after that unfortunate incident in the lab with Gunther dropping the flask on the floor his promising career had gone downhill. Sometimes Schneider wished he'd also perished in that explosion but Sigmar must have some plan for him he always reassured himself.

Sitting on a well-worn corner bench he could feel the long journey taking it's toll on him, body aching and the pie doing it's part, his head slowly bent forward and the sounds of the tavern grew more distant.
    "Hmppf..jelous fools!" he muttered as he thought of the old engineers that banished him to the farflung northern coastline as a punishment for that accident that wasn't even his fault. He chuckled sacastically to himself as his slowly eyes closed.

The sudden noise from the tavern door swinging open jolted him back into awareness, his right hand quickly reaching for something inside a big pouch on his toolbelt that he had placed conveniently on his lap.
    Schneider stopped his hand suddenly as the man at the door started talking, squinting i the direction of the door he put back his monole on his right eye and listened.
    As he listened to the man he stroked his mustache gently and straightening his leather cap. "So this was why the gate-guards was so on edge" he mumbled to himself as he remembered the twitchy guardsmen he encountered when entering the town.

As the tavern fell into an awkward silence after the mans proclamation Schneider saw his chance for adventure and, just perhaps, a pardon from the Nuln College.
    He got up from the bench, slung his bulky tool belt over his shoulder and making a some clattering noise as something inside the pouches contacted against his dented cuirass, picking up his bulky backpack from under the table he let out an "Ahummm" as he casualy put up his left hand in the air signaling his interest in the mans offer.
    Last edited by Calgar; 03-03-2014 at 08:56. Reason: Spelling

Brother Sergeant

Melgar sat upright in his stool at a small round table near the large, double set of swinging doors facing the tavern interior. He started to scratch methodically, gouging his nails deep into the soft wood beneath the lip of the table edge while surveying the small group of patrons...

Ah. There it was. The Innkeep took up a steaming hot tin plate with a rag and turned towards Melgar.
    Who, from the Innkeep's vantage was little more than a pair of peering eyes narrowly clearing line of sight above the table.

The man strolled up to the side of Melgar's table and stopped short, his nostrils seemed to flare a bit and curly hairs bristle somewhat on his neck... mouth agape, seemingly the Innkeep was pondering whether or not to blurt out something about how Melgar smelled worse than a bottled pig fart.
    But instead, his lips pursed and he set down plate fork and knife, parting with a simple "There you are."

When the burly militia captain and the green horn marched into the tavern, Melgar was gleefully downing his meal, only mildly focused on the scene at hand. When the man piped up and declared his announcement, Melgar tensed up initially but dismissed it once he learned it had nothing to do with some hunt for rogue spell casters.

Polishing off a plate of pork sausages and buttermilk gravy, Melgar hobbles down from the stool, riffling through his robes for a moment he turns to the militia captain and raises his voice... "doubtful I qualify for your brave posse, Herr Kasper."

He awkwardly leans up on tip toes to slam a small lump of silver down on the table. "I'm freshly poor, you see." approaching Kasper in a slow, wattle-like gait Melgar continues...

"Skills: I have very few. Martial Prowess: like that of the limp, bloated corpse of a rat caught in a drainpipe."

He makes eye contact with the sooty jacketed, monocle wearing gray-whiskered man... flashing him an irksome, toothy smile.
    "Merely a simple peddler leaving the village tonight regardless. Why not share the road?"

Cilaren took another spoon of the soup in front of him, swallowing it with a light shudder. He tried to cheer himslelf up a little by thinking that he had had worse, but after a moment in thought he wasn't so sure. Cilaren thought back to the soup his mother used to make for him when he had been out fishing with the adults and returned cold and soaked. That seemed like another world now, and in a way it was.

Cilaren was torn out of his melancholy by the loud proclamation of the militia captain. He listened carefully to the man's proclamation, thinking that this was his kind of work. Cilaren turned his head from his table by the wall just in time to see one of the other guests standing up and raising his hand. Cilaren stood up a moment afterwards, grabbing his shield from where it had been leaning against the table."I will go aswell" he said in a clear voice as he pulled back the hood of his grey cloak.

Brother Sergeant

Jerek takes another swig of the local ale, not the best Jerek has ever had but also not the worst, still anything wet will do after that meal. As Jerek is sitting by the fire in the tavern he allows himself a moments rest, with food and drink. Jerke after sitting back pulls out a simple locket that he keeps around his neck. Jerek sat himself alone at a table close by to the fire to warm himself and also by a wind yet still close to the door in case there's a problem and a quick exit is required. As Jerek plays with the locket not daring to open it the door to the inn is thrown open. Jerek gives a glance in its direction carefully going for his musket that is leaning against the table. He relaxes once the man begins to talk. Jerek gives little notice, though it does answer the question of why the guards were so jumpy at the gate. Jerek was about to turn back to his drink when the man mentions the 40 crowns reward. Crowns are a much needed commodity to Jerek's life style. Jerek sees two others stand up before him. The man from the corner and another in a grey cloak. Jerek grasp his hat that is perched on his musket, fixes it atop his head, takes his musket and stands.
    "You'll be needing a witch-hunter on this hunt." Jerek calls to the militia man. As Jerek begins to move towards the door he proclaims.
    "As long as the coin is good I'll join this little group."

Within a darkened corner of the tavern, Elrich sat quietly, his cloak wrapped tightly around him. A meal of sausages and potatoes sat before him, swimming in a thin gravy, but he was so tired he'd barely touched it. Nursing a tankard of ale in one hand, his other hand was hidden under the table, his fingers unconsciously rubbing a small locket held in the depths of his palm. Tired eyes stared into the middle distance, lost in thoughts of earlier, happier times.

The harsh, guttural conversations of the tavern's other patrons suddenly pulled him from his thoughts, and Elrich sighed as he tucked the locket into an inner pocket of his coat. He stabbed a sausage and began to chew, scanning the bar again. He'd been in town a few hours, having pushed through the morning and afternoon to ensure that he reached here before dusk; he'd put Isis through her paces, and he knew she deserved better than the stable she was currently housed within. The best in the town, apparently, though that wasn't saying much.

Elrich resolved to visit her once he'd worked out where the local warden station was; his ride down the Old Dwarf Road had been adventurous enough, however, and even now all he wanted to do was sleep.

His attention was grabbed as the door of the tavern slammed open and the two men walked in. He listened to the captain's word as he summed up both men, noting the captain's powerful physique and threatening hand weapon. The other man was silent and harder, though Elrich imagined there was power hidden in his young frame.

His brows furrowed at the revelation of slain roadwardens; their numbers were few and information was shared with each encounter, yet he had heard nothing of this. Several men stood or spoke following the captain's request and, after finishing his sausage, he drained his tankard before standing.

"Captain, I am Elrich Von Oerlikon, roadwarden. You have my swords. In the name of Sigmar and the Emperor's Law, we shall see these miscreants brought to justice."
    2nd Edition Background: The ONLY Background

"Imagine fear is a wall of fire. A brave man is not a blind man, who cannot see the flames. A truly brave man walks through the fire and emerges stronger, with his spirit tempered by the courage of his action."

Blood Angels Sergeant Laertes, Harbinger of Despair, 736.M41

OOC: @Spifflespore: please be careful of describing things you don't know, I never said that the captain had a sooty coat or a monacle. Also be careful with controlling NPCs, the bartender doesn't matter so much but in normal circumstances it's something to try and avoid.

IC:
    Kasper looks with approval at Schneider, Cilaren and Jerek. He then turns and stares down at Melgar the halfling. "Sir this is no stroll in the woods, I am seeking volunteers for a man-hunt, or possibly creature-hunt - not sure which exactly. Point is if you want to join the posse you'd better be prepared to pitch in."

He then raises his head to once more scan the common-room. "Anyone else to volunteer?"
    Last edited by Craze_b0i; 03-03-2014 at 23:03.
    Gorfang Rotgut - RIP.

Brother Sergeant

OOC: sooty jacketed, monocle wearing gray-whiskered man = Calgar's character. & OK won't try to control NPCs, then.

IC: Melgar nods as Kasper outlines the perils at hand and after a few moments responds "I am prepared to assist in catching your man... or put down a bloody beast. I'm no warrior, as I've said. But the road is my home and I ought never to dread it."

"None would disagree with our roadwarden companion... justice must be dealt.
    Whatever stalks these hills needs to be rooted out before others are slain. Certainly, I volunteer."

Melgar gulped and thought to himself: what type of misfortune might I be bringing down on my own head here? He'd noticed the atmosphere of fear rest heavily upon the Mittleweg townsfolk and couldn't help being curious as to what hunted them. But, could he trust these men not to drag him over hot coals until he falsely convicted himself of worshipping the Dark Gods once they realized his craft? He cast a sideways glance to the tall copper-bearded witch hunter, Jerek and sighed...

Fate come what may, "I volunteer." he repeated.
    Last edited by Spifflespore; 04-03-2014 at 04:35.

Schneider noticed how a cloaked figure stood up and in a clear voice stated that he was also interested in the Captains proposal.
    "An Elf?" Schneider thought to himself as he evaluated the cloaked figure. The way that the figure moved about was somewhat 'off' to him.

Now Schneider could see that several figures from across the tavern made themselves heard, a witch-hunter with a fine looking musket, a man calling himself Elrich and the way he spoke Schneider figured that he had some history with the cult of Sigmar.

As he stood there in the corner of the tavern with his backpack, gazing across the tavern, eyeing his would be companions, he noticed a head bobing about at just above table level. Too his surprice a scruffy looking halfling made eye contact with him and gave him a toothy smile just at the little one proclaimed that he would be joining the posse. Schneider didn't smile back.

As the militia captain asked for others interested in joining the posse Schneider slung his hefty belt back down from his right shoulder and clipped it around his waist, releasing a small puff of black sooth in the process.
    From a hefty side-pouch on his belt he took out a sizeable big leather holster and slid it on a hook on his belt. He rested his hand on the holster which made the belt lean heavily to the side.

Stroking his mustache gently with his left hand as he also started moving in the direction of the door.

OOC: sooty jacketed, monocle wearing gray-whiskered man = Calgar's character

OOC: sorry my bad, thought you were talking to the captain.
    Also last night I seem to have cross-posted with 2-heads, oops, have to watch out for that in future. well since everyone has posted...

IC: There are no further replies to the captain's request. He looks round at all of you that volunteered. "Well if that's everyone hopefully you will be enough." He then turns and gestures to the younger man who entered with him. "This is Sebb, one of my deputies. Sebb will guide you to the spot where the most recent attack took place. He will meet you by the west-gate in half an hour. Oh and if anyone has a horse I suggest you leave it at the inn, get off the roads and the forest round here is pretty thick."

With that Kasper nods and exits followed by Sebb, leaving each of you a short space of time to finish up your drinks, collect your gear or make any other preparation you wish.
    Gorfang Rotgut - RIP.

Brother Sergeant

Melgar stands silent in front of watch Captain Kasper as he finishes speaking. When he departs the tavern with Sebb, Melgar notices a man gearing up near the door, recalling he was first among those to step up.

Doing likewise, Melgar props up his basket pack and organizes its contents some before strapping it across his shoulders. He tightens the knot on his rope belt and wedges an old brass sickle between it and the side of his paunch. Licking his grimy hands, he tries to blot out a gravy stain on his robe before donning its pointed black hood. He retrieves his knobby staff and addressing the room
    "... going to wait outside. Bit stuffy in here." hobbles just outside the swinging tavern door.
    Last edited by Spifflespore; 04-03-2014 at 12:28.

Brother Sergeant

Jerek eyes the rest of the group carefully. The two men and the elf all seem like fine company, but the halfling... there's just something about him. Something just not right. As the captain Kasper finishes his instructions to meet at west gate in half an hour. Jerek decides that he has time. Jerke adjust his hat once again, nods to Schneider, Cilaren and Elrich, Jerek then gives another quick glance to Melgar. Jerek then leaves the inn and heads to town's temple of Sigmar.

As the Kasper and Sebb leaves, Cilaren looks over at his future companions. The humans looks like they can handle themselves in a fight, while he can't really say the same for the halfling. Looks can deceive though, as he bitterly experienced when the seemingly fine brettonian trader suddenly turned out to be filled with bloodthirsty pirates.

As Melgar and Jerek leaves the tavern, Cilaren wonders what to do for the short wait. He looks down at his soup, but quickly comes to the conclusion that every spoon he gets down will bring two up his throat. Cilaren decides to get some fresh air, and heads towards the door.

Brother Sergeant

Leaning against the outer wall of the tavern, Melgar rest his eyes in contemplation. The internal dialog in his head plays on:
    "Things are moving along swiftly. One minute enjoying good meat and warmth here at... what was this place? Maybe the signs mounted high up... oh well, and the next minute about to be escorted off with the local militia."

He hears footfalls and the door swing open, peaking he spies a man, Jerek was it? Melgar couldn't be sure as none among the posse gave a name save for the roadwarden, Von Oerlikon. But sure enough he mentioned being a witch hunter and perhaps he had heard the name in his travels. Melgar considered following the copper-bearded man as he walked off but was distracted instead by more footfalls...
    Last edited by Spifflespore; 04-03-2014 at 17:00.

Schneider stepped through the door, having geared up inside, he noticed the one man that had noded to him stepped through the door but veering off towars some place in town.
    He briefly considered doing the same but instead stoped a few paces from the door, walked back and forth before leening against the tavern wall, pulling out a beaten book and a self-loading ink quill.

"Hmm...perha...oh yes..that will do most nicely!" He muttered to himself as he franticly noted things down along the sides of the pages in the book. " ...Maybe here, or below the ignition device perhaps?" Schneider once again muttered to himself and peered out over the book he held with his left arm, scanning the immediate area with a lazy, distant, look on his face.

He thought that this brief time before setting of could be a good opportunity to thoroughly size up his companions. Especially that litte fellow that smelled like the waste barrels from the gun powder forge. And the smell was indeed strong as he could feel it wofting by even though he stood a few paces away from the Halfling.

"Mmmyes" he said aloud, stroking his mustache with the quill, and let out a sigh as he thought that he'd somehow had to take a look at that fine looking musket he spotted with the with hunter.

And that elf, how could such an "intelligent" folk still use bow and arrow?

He was quick to judge but he knew that judging without propper proof and research was not the way of a true engineer of Nuln.
    And the proof he needed to base his thesis of the others might present itself later on...
    Last edited by Calgar; 04-03-2014 at 22:26.

Brother Sergeant

As Jerek reaches the temple he is about to enter the old building when he reconsiders.
    "Perhaps the town folk would be troubled by my presence in their temple? Jerek says to himself. Jerek then takes a few steps back removes his hat, makes a silence prayer to Sigmar then makes the sign of a hammer on his chest. Jerek then replaces his hat atop his head and makes for the west gate. As Jerek reaches the gate he looks around expecting the see the other men from the tavern.
    "I must be the first to arrive." Jerek thinks to himself. Jerek then positions himself in a comfortable position leaning on the gate, he then begins to check his musket making sure all the gears and "do-dads" function and the sight is properly aligned. After which Jerek places the musket beside him leaning on the gate and proceeds to draw his sword practices a few blows then he begins to sharpen the old sword which seems to be nicked and dented in a few places.

With everyone seemingly ready to go you all drift down to the west gate of the town, Jerek gets there first but soon everyone else is there too. At that moment Sebb steps out from the other side of the gatepost where he had apparently been conversing with the watchman on duty. He is a young fair haired man with a leather jerkin and an axe slung from the waist, he also holds an empty sack. He nods in greeting. "Well everyone's here then" he observes. "The last attack was on the west road to Basdahl. It will take us a couple of hours march to reach the spot where it happened so we'd best get moving. Oh yeh and before I forget Kasper told me to give you guys this" he takes the empty sack in his hand and throws it to Jerek. "It's to bring back the 'evidence' if you are successful, and by that he means bring back the heads of those responsible for the attacks be they man, mutant or other."

With that last remark he then half-turns to face the open gateway.

"Well if everyone is ready let's get going. If you got any questions feel free to ask them on the way."
    Last edited by Craze_b0i; 04-03-2014 at 23:39.
    Gorfang Rotgut - RIP.

Watching the captain and his deputy leave the tavern, Elrich allowed himself to slide back onto his stool. Now with purpose, he devoured the remains of his meal and washed it down with the ale before rising and striding from the tavern, one of the last if not the last of the party to leave; half an hour did not leave him long.

He'd visited Isis, rubbing his mount's nose as it affectionately nuzzled him. He dropped a few pennies on the stable boy to ensure that she would be well catered for, with the promise of an additional shilling upon his departure.

Next, he'd tried to find the local warden house, however it had been deserted; locals informed him that the two slain road wardens were the normal standing force within the town and, without them, he would need to wait for one of the others swinging by as part of their assigned patrol routes. He had no time for that, unfortunately, so he headed for the West Gate. He would pray for their departed souls later, once he had avenged them; they had died performing their duty, which no man could ask for more, but it did not mean their deaths would go unpunished.

Reaching the gate, he spotted the deputy Sebb. Listening to his explanation, Elrixh stepped forward.

"Deputy," he began, "I have a question; do we have any information on what we are likely to face? Did the attacks happen within a certain area and if so were there any survivors? Even a statement made in maddened fear, whilst appearing to be incomprehensible ramblings, can contain truths buried just beneath the surface, and if we know that we potentially face bandits or Greenskins we can attempt to plan accordingly."

Whilst speaking, Elrich slipped his pistol from its holster. From a small pouch on his belt he pulled a bullet and proceeded to load the firearm. Once armed, he slid it back into place and stood straight to await an answer.
    Last edited by 2_heads_talking; 05-03-2014 at 00:05.
    2nd Edition Background: The ONLY Background

"Imagine fear is a wall of fire. A brave man is not a blind man, who cannot see the flames. A truly brave man walks through the fire and emerges stronger, with his spirit tempered by the courage of his action."

Blood Angels Sergeant Laertes, Harbinger of Despair, 736.M41

"Ah right your the roadwarden guy ain't ya" replies Sebb. "We're a bit short of those at the moment, what with the only two we had getting killed, good men both of 'em" he sighs ruefully.

"But to answer the questions the first attack came on the south road a batch of merchant travellers ambushed and murdered, cut up in the most brutal way. Few arrow wounds as well. Strange thing was though nothing being taken all the wares just left in the road with the bodies. Some folk said beastmen, but beastmen eat the ones they kill right? It was a couple of days before we got wind of it being quite far off, the roadwardens went down to take a look but unfortunately they didn't find much - any trail was cold. Then a few days later another attack on the south road, same signs as before. Then one on the west road. The roadwardens went out to check the site and then next day we found 'em dead. Same as before, all cut up but nothing taken." He is grim as he speaks, and you suspect from his demeanor he is none to comfortable about going back to the site of the killings.
    Last edited by Craze_b0i; 05-03-2014 at 01:05.
    Gorfang Rotgut - RIP.

Brother Sergeant

Jerek grabs the sack and tucks it away, knowing the procedure of "evidence" all to well. As the group begins there march, Jerek listens closely to Sebb's outline of the recent attacks. Jerek then speaks out for all to hear. "Sounds like what ever they are their ether trying to keep people away with these brutal attacks. Or some men just want to see the world burn" After making his mind known Jerek turns to the elf in the grey cloak and stretches out his hand. "Jerek Kruger." Jerek says with what resembles a smile on his face.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast