Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Enter the Drakwald - Game Thread

Brother Sergeant

Re: Enter the Drakwald - Game Thread

When Melgar reaches the gate, Sebb has just started speaking with the other posse members. He listens intently to the conversation, being most curious by the talk of arrow wounds.

As the trek gets underway, Melgar walks with his staff in a sort of shuffling manner. His footfalls are surprisingly quiet & he walks in silence, lost in his own thoughts keeping pace just behind the sooty-jacketed one who seems to fiddling with his elaborately groomed mustache.
    Last edited by Spifflespore; 05-03-2014 at 04:54.

Hearing the description of the attacks Cilaren pales slightly, as the attacks remind him of the most feared pirates of all; Druchii.

As the witch hunter, Jerek, introduces himself Cilaren shakes his hand and replies "I am Cilaren, of Yvresse." in a strongly accented reikspiel.After a moments thought he says "If the roadwardens were ambushed when they went to investigate, we could be going into the same trap."

Now that they where off, he contemplated on what the man had said about the ambushes.
    "Killing the merchants and not taking their goods?" he thought. It didn't sound right to him because killing in order to steal something was not exactly unheard of but killing for the sake of killing was another thing.

Keeping pase with the others in the posse he saw the elf shaking hand with the witch hunter, but Schneider could't quite make out what they where saying since his hearing wasn't what it once used to be, especially on his right eye.
    He watched the others for a moment and gave a glanze back at the halfling.

As they walked onwards he suddenly rummaged around for something in his toolbelt as if searching for something valuable.
    He picked up a small lense with angled graphs and criss-crossing lines carved into it, that he clipped on his monocle. Resulting in a magnification effect making his right eye looking bigger and somewhat blurred.
    "Mmmh, much better" he said and tapped his finger on the lense.

The thudding of the holster agains his right leg reminded him to check once again to make sure that his repeater pistol was loaded and ready. Popping open the holster lid he took out his hefty pistol, the three steel barrels glistering with gun oil and the intricate firing mechanism in dark copper stood out against the dark laquered wooden frame.

His mouth curled into a faint, but brief, smile as he looked it over before put the gun back in the holster, leaving the lid open, just in case.

And onwards he walked...

Brother Sergeant

Jerek takes a moments thought then takes his musket in hand.
    "If they wish to ambush us, then they'll have a fight on their hands." Jerek says, then looking around at the rest of the group
    "It dose appear that we can all handle ourselves when it comes to a fight.... Except that halfling" Jerek then proceeds to check his musket again to see that it's loaded properly and that Jerek has easy access to his spare balls and powder, in his pack. Just in case a fight does brake out. Once Jerek is finished he keeps his musket in hand to prepare himself for a fight.

Brother Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by slayer11392 View Post
    "If they wish to ambush us, then they'll have a fight on their hands." Jerek says, then looking around at the rest of the group
    "It dose appear that we can all handle ourselves when it comes to a fight.... Except that halfling".
    Melgar snickers quietly and rolls his tongue over his spiky teeth. Thinking to himself: Always so sure and bold. Don't you men know that battle isn't won solely by breaking your opponent through strength alone. You must break their spirit, sap their will to continue so exhaustively that the death begins to look like peace. How common is it to break the flesh? cut, hack, render and grind. Yet, so much fewer are we which tear souls apart and set maddening fire to the mind.

and so he walked...

Brother Sergeant

"Herr Jebb, has there ever been anything like this before in the area or any other attacks on the road. Strange sightings marks anything at all? Also where the men who were killed leaving this town or trying to enter it?" Jerek says just loud enough for Jebb to hear, scanning the tree line and preparing himself in case of an ambush.

"It's Sebb" replies the militiaman gruffly. "Historically there is always danger on the roads of Drakwald, bandits or beastkin raiders, but so far as I know nothing quite the same as this. As to the folk killed they were travelling both ways if you get me, though the last lot were traders coming from Basdahl - the village a day's travel to the west."

During this dialogue you have walked about 100 metres beyond the gate. The road you are on runs westward. Surrounding the town is a belt of farmland, mixed crops and pasture that is about 400 metres. Beyond that are the eves of the forest. You see a few goat-herders in the pastures and then just under the trees ahead some charcoal burners. In both instances the locals eye you warily from a distance. Ignoring them Sebb leads you onward toward the treeline.
    Gorfang Rotgut - RIP.

With Sebb leading you follow the road west through the forest. Tall and gnarly trees loom on either side as you walk along while remaining alert for danger. A couple of hours pass. At one point there is a small russle of movement amid the trees to the left, but it turns out to only be a crow flittering from one tree's branches to another. Nonetheless Sebb seems unhappy. "This part of the forest has always had an ill-reputation" he comments. "Buried somewhere in the darkest depths they say there is an ancient shrine to the dark gods. A site older than the days of Sigmar. According to local lore it has been used and reoccupied several times over the past centuries." He spits to the side and then makes the sign of Ulric to ward off evil.

It's now late afternoon. You carry on for another twenty minutes or so then Sebb brings you to a halt just before a tall twisted elm tree. "Well this is it. This was the spot where we found the last bodies" he says grimly. "I doubt anyone else has been here since. Most folk round here are now too scared to use the road, at least until this business is sorted out."

Last edited by Craze_b0i; 06-03-2014 at 16:21.
    Gorfang Rotgut - RIP.

Cilaren looks around cautiosly, and loosens his sword in its sheath. "If the servants of the dark gods have a shrine in the area, that seems like a natural place to look for whatever foul creatures who could have commited these vile acts" he says in a low voice, while he slings his shield at his back and draws his bow, along with an arrow. Cilaren then studies the ground for any clues he might find there.

Brother Sergeant

Jerek listens intently to what Jebb says about the shrine. " I dont know about you...?" Jerek says while making the sign of Ulric. "But I prefer being the hunter not the hunted I sugest that the shrine should be our first target. In the name of Sigmar and Ulric that unholy sight must be destroyed along with those that pledge themselves to the dark gods."

As Schneider was eying his surroundings, taking fleeting looks at the uncomfortaby gnarly trees, he listened with great care as to what Sebb had to say. The mentioning of a shrine to the dark goods did not ease his suspision of the surroundings one bit.

"According to local lore, eh"? he mumbled to himself repeatedly, shuffling his eyes from side to side of the road and jerked suddenly when a crow fitted through the branches.
    He knew that there could be a sliver of truth in even the strangest ramblings of a mad man. He didn't doubdt for one moment that there could indeed be some form of dark presence somewhere in the woods. He to had heard all kinds of strange tales along the roads on his journeys to and from Nuln.

Schneider noticed that the elf drew his bow and an arrow. That made him ill at ease, because the books in the library of Nuln stated it clear that elves have a superior, even hightened, sense of the world around them.
    Had the elf seen or heard something?!

Schneider made a quick shuffling sprint up behind the elf, the metallic content in his many pouches in his workbelt making clatters and bangs agaist his dented cuirass as the sprinted, despite holding both his hand on the belt.
    "Better stay close to this one" he thought to himself as the most logical conclusion to the situation at hand, and kept up the pace with the elf.
    Last edited by Calgar; 06-03-2014 at 18:37.

In response to Jerek's words Sebb frowns, it is clear in his expression he personally would rather avoid such sinister matters altogether leaving it to others. "Well tis but a piece of local folklore" he mutters. "Perhaps it no longer exists. And if it does then I'm afraid no-one today can say exactly where. We Drakwalders don't venture into the deeper parts of the forest if we can possibly avoid it, what with the beastmen and all. Even travelling from point to point by the roads can be dangerous enough."

Meanwhile Ciralen is studying the ground. He can see faded bootprints from earlier that day, presumably Sebb and the other militiamen who came across the bodies and took them back. Any older prints round the direct position where the bodies were are too faint to see or have been trodden over. No other clues seem visible.
    Last edited by Craze_b0i; 06-03-2014 at 18:26.
    Gorfang Rotgut - RIP.

"Enter the forest... suicide." Elrich mutters as he looks around, one hand resting upon the handle of his blade. Currently there was little to work with, the trampling of the militiamen having wiped out most of the evidence.

Still, perhaps there would be something...

"Sebb..." He called, kneeling where the man had indicated the bodies were found, "Did you or the Captain happen to notice where the arrows came from? Perhaps we can find if they had a vantage point."

As he spoke Elrich looked up and scanned the treeline around them, his eyes rising to the higher branches.
    2nd Edition Background: The ONLY Background

"Imagine fear is a wall of fire. A brave man is not a blind man, who cannot see the flames. A truly brave man walks through the fire and emerges stronger, with his spirit tempered by the courage of his action."

Blood Angels Sergeant Laertes, Harbinger of Despair, 736.M41

Brother Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by slayer11392 View Post
    Jerek listens intently to what Jebb says about the shrine. " I dont know about you...?" Jerek says while making the sign of Ulric. "But I prefer being the hunter not the hunted I sugest that the shrine should be our first target. In the name of Sigmar and Ulric that unholy sight must be destroyed along with those that pledge themselves to the dark gods."
    Melgar looks to the witch hunter and speaks "There seems to be a greater threat at hand than a few old shrines and whatever tainted spore amongst the Drakwald peasantry attends them. Though I agree, witch hunter, their breed of perversive taint should be stamped out wherever found."

At this same time the roadwarden, Elrich speaks to Sebb...

He casts a cautious eye over to the shadowy tree line beyond the path and thought: Indeed, Drakwald is rumored to have hidden away in deepest interior the burial mounds of the Thuringians. What ancient and powerful magic must be etched upon those chamber walls!

Melgar pondered then: if somehow he could earn the trust of these companions, perhaps proving to them that he wielded not fell power gained through prostrating before the Dark Gods and their altars and whispering praises to them in shadow... but the very same winds of Shyish shaped by the Wizards of the Amethyst Order.
    Perhaps someday he would return to Old Altdorf and proclaim his intention to join the College. But, the ridicule and mockery he would likely face, being merely a halfling would be great. So for now, he continued a personal quest to hone his craft...

Last edited by Spifflespore; 06-03-2014 at 21:28.

"Sebb..." He called, kneeling where the man had indicated the bodies were found, "Did you or the Captain happen to notice where the arrows came from? Perhaps we can find if they had a vantage point."
    "Well yes they did appear to have been shot first like the other ones. From the direction they were fallen in I'm guessing the assailants came from over there." He points to the treeline on the south side of the road.

OOC: note that so far you have only searched the ground in the road itself where the bodies fell.
    Last edited by Craze_b0i; 06-03-2014 at 21:50.
    Gorfang Rotgut - RIP.

Brother Sergeant

Jerek turns towards the south side of the road where Jebb has pointed out, and begins moving in that direction. Deciding that a musket is no use in case of a close quarters assault Jerek returns his musket to his back, He does not draw his sword but he does check that he sword can be easily drawn in case of an emergency. Once at the treeline Jerek begins to look for foot prints in the dirt or any other marks such as arrows or other trinkets that was left behind. Even marks on the trees would lead to some kind of clue of who or what were the attackers.

Jerek moves along the south-side treeline looking for clues. At first it seems there is nothing there. Then just as he is about to stop he sees some very light boot prints almost invisible, approximately human sized. Shortly he finds another set, then some more. They seem to advance onto the road where the bodies were slain, then head away south and slightly west with the assailants now moving away in single file. With the prints so light and then overlapping too it's very hard to get a clear number, but maybe five or six individuals.
    Gorfang Rotgut - RIP.

Brother Sergeant

"There are tracks over here, they head off south west. Looks like there's only six of them." Pointing in the direction they are heading. Jerek removes the musket from his back, Jere then begins moving in that direction.... After taking a few steps he turns back to the group. "Well... you coming or am I going hunting alone?"

"Not me" replies Sebb, "my job here is finished. From here on you gentlemen are by yourselves. But I wish you all the best of luck."
    Gorfang Rotgut - RIP.

"I will hunt with you. We should be able to take them down, at least if we catch them when they are not prepared" Cilaren says, before he walks over to the tracks in order to study them himself. He then studies the forest around the tracks, trying to find out if the attackers were skilled woodsmen, or if they just crashed through bush and branch like brutes.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast