Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: 28mm Modern Cityscape

Re: 28mm Modern Cityscape

It has been a while since my previous update as I have been working on a few other things as a bit of a break. I ordered a couple more buildings for the table so I decided I had better get cracking and paint up the ones i had already started.

I have now finally finished the Italeri Berlin House I bought back in February this year. This was one of the first kits I got to replace the original cardboard buildings I built 10 years ago. The kit is scaled at 1:72 but fits well with the size of the 28mm buildings I am using, I added an extra floor kit to make it a three storey building. The parts are hard styrene and pretty easy to assemble. Unfortunately I suffered an attack of extreme gormlessness (Tm) whilst building it (I blame the glue fumes) and put 5 of the 8 wall panels in upside down and only noticed once everything was dry which meant I had to demolish the kit and re-build it. Checking the photos on the web it would appear that I'm not the only one to have done this which makes me feel a little better.

The interiors are usable as well although the inside of the exterior walls don't look very pretty.

All in all this is a pretty good kit and it wasn't expensive. There a few niggles like the interior wall detail and the top floor balcony interior (which I might go back and sort out later) but overall I have to say that I like it.
    Last edited by Maccwar; 24-06-2014 at 09:17.
    Watching paint dry: http://maccwar.blogspot.com/

Very nice. Colours are nice and crisp, great for a tabletop battlefield. At that price (35 BPD or $60) you might want to consider the Dust Tactics buildings which are less detailed but modular.

Great minds think alike - I have one of the Dust Tactics buildings on my workbench right now ready for priming. I've added plasticard on each level for the floor/roof and trimmed and filed the tabs to make the ground and first floors easier to use during the game. Having less detail should make it a lot quicker to paint up too.

Its in the painting queue behind the Irish pub, a couple of shops and the gas station.

O'Malley's Irish Pub is neutral territory in Carnage used by both law breakers and law enforcement alike. Whilst law enforcement are drowning their sorrows in the bar the top floor is used by the law breakers for a range of clandestine purposes.

This is the 28mm Public House kit from Timeline Miniatures. I really like this kit although it was rather tricky to paint after I assembled the whole thing first. Note to self - don't be so impatient.

Assembled pub.

With roof removed to show first floor.

With first floor removed to show ground floor.

From the outside.

And here is my visual reference for my colour scheme, Fadó in Chicago.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	irish bar.jpg 
Views:	208 
Size:	240.5 KB 
ID:	195360  
    Last edited by Maccwar; 07-12-2016 at 09:35.

Re: 28mm Modern Cityscape (now with added shops)

Progress has been good this week. Last night I finished off a pack of 4 shops from Demo's Laser-Cut Designs. These have been tweaked slightly from the basic design, I replaced the bases with smaller and more robust bases specially ordered from Warbases and added strip styrene around the base of the roof piece to add some detail and hide the locator tabs. I also put the doors on the inside of the building as I thought that made them look a little less goofy. All in all these were a pretty inexpensive addition but not the most detailed.

Paul Goodman is a shady lawyer whose services have kept a number of Carnage's low life out of jail long enough for the case against them to collapse. Known for his irritating TV ads - if you find yourself in trouble then you'd "better call Paul".

Dan King Donuts is a favourite with law enforcement in Carnage. When a previous police commissioner joked that his officers were addicted to doughnuts he came uncomfortably close to the truth. DKD is actually a front for the DiFonzo family which may explain why many officers are found asleep at their desks on days when the family is particularly active and why so many of Carnage PD's rising stars fail their mandatory drugs tests when they are due to testify in court. (And for those of you know Daniel King is the name of my friend and play tester for the Officer Down rules set. Sadly Dan had never heard of Dunkin' Donuts so he missed the joke completely.)

Bear Arms supplies guns and ammunition to the people of Carnage. It is the firm belief of the proprietor that if everyone in Carnage owned at leasts one AK47 then he would no longer be worried about the crime rate in Carnage - mostly because he would then be able to retire to Florida.

And that last one there is a blank shop ... because I have temporarily run out of ideas. Should it be used for a bail bonds agent, a vacuum cleaner repairs business or a pet shop (my youngest daughter's preference)? Any suggestions you may be able to come up with will be gratefully received. There are likely to be some more retail outlets later on in the project when I get my Mantic modular scenery so the more ideas the better.
    Last edited by Maccwar; 08-07-2014 at 19:36.

Don't you need a bank or a jewelry store for the low-lifes to try and knock over?
    The Cult Ascendant! A Genestealer Cult Army Log
    + + + =][= + + + Inquisition & Imperial Agents Project Log

Codex: Exodites (7th Ed) The Dragon Knights prepare to charge!
    Codex: Adeptus Arbites (7th Ed) To detect and to purge!
    Codex: Hive Spyrers (7th Ed) Death leaves the underhive!
    Codex: Genestealer Cult (6th Ed) For the Father!

The bank is already on its way, I'm about halfway through painting it. Strangely I hadn't considered a jewellery store - despite having two brothers-in-law who are jewellers. I think I still have the artwork from when I did one of their web sites which might be useful. Thanks for the suggestion.

I've been busy again and I have completed the Gas Station (first mentioned here).

Yes I know that the original Robocop gas station in the film was Shell but I decided to go with Murco (whose headquarters are quite close to me) due to the match in the colours (both the red and the blue) as well as for the irony value.
    Last edited by Maccwar; 08-07-2014 at 19:36.

Wow, so much win in this thread. Awesome stuff! Playing Infinity or comparable skirmish games on that table must be a blast.

I would love to see a bunch of cigarette butts lying around near the "NO SMOKING WITHIN 50 FEET" sign. Think that is possible to pull off in this scale?

Quote Originally Posted by Ambience 327 View Post
    I would love to see a bunch of cigarette butts lying around near the "NO SMOKING WITHIN 50 FEET" sign. Think that is possible to pull off in this scale?
    Depends on the scale models you use. A cigarette is about half as thick as a human finger, and if you have a look at Infinity models, that would be almost impossible to get on the table and still look like something. The usual hamfisted GW model on the other hand... maybe.

Cool stuff in this thread. On that last building, is that a Red John graffito?
    http://www.mekwars.org Play Battletech online in the MegamekNet 3025 campaign environment with people from around the world. New players welcome. Join a noble house and fight for supremacy in the Inner Sphere. Non-commercial community project, no cost.
    My random Sci-Fi Plog, mostly Imperial Guard, Dark Eldar and CSM Current Project: Bad Moons.

Quote Originally Posted by Darnok View Post
    Wow, so much win in this thread. Awesome stuff! Playing Infinity or comparable skirmish games on that table must be a blast.
    It is a very different experience playing on this board to your average 40k board. With lines of sight quite restricted the scenery dictates a large part of the character of the game. We have had some really intense fire fights over control of an alleyway or over a rooftop overlooking a crucial parting lot.

No pressure! Hmm, some of the bad guys do have cigars so I think it might be possible. I have some thin styrene pipe which might do. I'll give it a go and see how it works out.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodknight View Post
    Cool stuff in this thread. On that last building, is that a Red John graffito?
    Someone has sharp eyes.

At some point I will be going back over some of the buildings and adding in yet more references to films and TV shows - as if there weren't enough already.

The First State Bank in down town Carnage likes to think it comes first for customer service. Within Carnage PD it has been observed that their name also matches their rank on the league of most robbed banks in state.

This kit is a Dust Tactics Warzone Tenement building with a few minor modifications to make it more usable with my Office Down rules. I have added a roof, first floor and base and made the roof and the first floor removable as separate pieces. The area round back looks like it will be the perfect spot for a dumpster when mine arrive next month.

And here is how the building can be disassembled during play to access the ground and top floors.

I'm still working on the cigarette butts.
    Last edited by Maccwar; 22-07-2014 at 10:55.

What do you think?

Last edited by Maccwar; 20-10-2014 at 09:25.

Great work there! Is the graffito a decal (if yes: where from?), or painted? And could you please do a scale shot of the DT building with a 28mm model? I would prefer an Infinity model, but anything of comparable thing will do. Thanks in advance.

All of the graffiti are done with decals apart from the Red John marking which was done freehand (badly). Most of the decals are from Weathering Solutions but a few are from Model Railway Scenery. The MRS ones are printed on a white background which needs trimming away before you can use the decal whilst the WS ones are done on a transparent backing. WS also has awesome customer service and really quick dispatch (I've never had anything cross the Atlantic so quickly).

I don't own any infinity models but I took some shots that might help. The overall footprint of the model is approximately 12 inches by 8 inches and it is 6 inches high.

Last edited by Maccwar; 20-10-2014 at 09:26.

The cigarettes look pretty good in that closeup - so I'm guessing they look fantastic at tabletop distance.

I found a wonderful flickr account which has some great pictures of buildings (mostly fire stations) in New York. Very useful for someone like myself who doesn't have a US city to hand for reference purposes.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jag9889/3123848896/

If all goes well I should have the next building complete and ready to show off tonight or tomorrow.

Precinct 12 covers some of the most dangerous parts of Carnage and has found itself at the centre of events more than once. Hollywood script writers once considered turning the infamous assault on precinct 12 into a film before deciding to opt for precinct 13 instead. The great fire escape escape although less noteworthy is still a source of great embarrassment for CPD.

This is a Wolsung - XIX Century Block of Flats from Micro Art Studio. It is an HDF kit with laser cut cardboard panels for extra detail.

Precinct 12 marks the end of one phase of this project as I don't have any more building kits planned for the cityscape at the moment. I still have some accessories to work on and some foam core to play with but the next major phase will begin when either the board from the Games & Gears Kickstarter or my scenery pledge from the Mars Attacks Kickstarter arrive. This will probably be September.

The sharp eyed amongst you mat have spotted another building in the background of the Precinct 12 shots, this is a bit of an experiment. When I first started working on scenery for Officer Down back in 2003-2004 I made some print-you-own buildings and also made some buildings by gluing doll's house wallpaper to the outside of boxes. When I dug everything out to restart the project I found that the print-your-own buildings had mostly fallen apart or been crushed whilst the scenery made from boxes was largely intact (but still looked pretty poor). The print-your-own market has come a long way in the last ten years so I decided to have another go and bought the Capital City Base Set from fat dragon games. Instead of printing the building on to card I constructed the interior of the building from foam core and glues the printed paper to the outside. The result is reasonably sturdy and doesn't look too bad as a filler building. I think I might make another as I have enough foam core left over.

Last edited by Maccwar; 20-10-2014 at 09:27.

Games & Gears have finally shown us pictures of some of the completed boards in the form that they will be shipping to us. The boards come pre-painted with a basic colour scheme. It looks like it will be pretty easy to tart them up a little and make them look like the streets of Carnage City. From what I can gather the boards still haven't shipped which makes me worry a little that they won't arrive in time for my Halloween special game (more details over on the modern miniatures thread).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	c8fb082f46a3fc1ef122553f512f3751_large.JPG 
Views:	93 
Size:	81.1 KB 
ID:	198105

Name:	19f146dcde8c0b65df80fd05de8b0a33_large.JPG 
Views:	79 
Size:	77.5 KB 
ID:	198106

Name:	20349dd033964aca8ac347a9cbb5c15b_large.JPG