Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: 28mm Modern Cityscape

Re: 28mm Modern Cityscape

A minor update - wilst I'm still waiting for more items to arrive from kickstarters I have decided to paint up a few bits and bobs I already have.

Here are two sets of Tamiya 1:35 Scale Brick Walls. I have based sections of various lengths on lollipop sticks so they can be free standing in any configuration. These will provide some much needed cover on the table.

Last edited by Maccwar; 20-10-2014 at 08:24.
    Watching paint dry: http://maccwar.blogspot.com/

Looks like it is going to take the Games and Gears boards a while longer to make it over from China which means they won't arrive in time for the Halloween special. Fortunately I managed to get some of the Mars Attacks paper mats from Mantic games to tide me over. Mantic have saved the day. With the arrival of the mats I decided to set up a full 6x4 cityscape for the very first time.

It was great to see everything in one place for the first time but it did highlight that I need just a few more buildings to round out the table. I have started work on the first of these and I will post some pictures when I'm ready.
    Last edited by Maccwar; 21-05-2015 at 08:37.

I knocked up a quick base for the junk yard area. My youngest daughter enjoyed helping me make the tyre tracks buy driving one of my toy cars over it.

Last edited by Maccwar; 21-05-2015 at 08:39.

Some awesome terrain you've created! I like the love for detail you put into everywhere
    I wouldn“t have the patience for that probably^^

Quote Originally Posted by Maccwar View Post
    My youngest daughter enjoyed helping me make the tyre tracks buy driving one of my toy card over it.
    Start them young

Like what you've done. Modular pieces like this are the best... Nice corners : simple yet so effective.

After a bit of a gap I've been working on assembling some more buildings for the project. These have been constructed from the intact scenery tiles from Mantic's Mars Attacks game. The intact scenery is not yet generally available but as a KickStarter backer I got mine early. The tiles are very similar in concept to the Deadzone/Battlezone scenery that Mantic has put out and the tiles are compatible if you could find some sort of layout that would work.

The tiles go together pretty well but the gaps between the tiles and the holes for the connectors which didn't bother me at all with the Deadzone scenery detract from the look with more 'real world' buildings. When you are familiar with looking at something your eyes tend to pick out and dwell on any bits which don't look quite right. To counter this I used filler, green stuff and strip styrene to disguise the gaps. I also filled the empty connector holes with the connectors lugs trimmed from connectors that I was using as roof supports.

Building 1 - Fast food outlet

This is the only building that I had planned out in advance from seeing the sprue layouts for the scenery. Basic assemble was simple enough but then I started seeing and trying to address the issues with gaps and holes.

I added a sheet of plasticard for the roof so I wouldn't have to fill the joins. I will be using textures paint for the roof anyway so I didn't need the tile texture. The gaps and holes were filled with "perfect plastic putty".

Finally I tidied things up with some green stuff and tried to imitate the brick texture over the top of the filler.

Building 2 - Warehouse?

I wasn't sure what to build with the rest of the scenery so I had a bit of a play with the sprues and ended up with this layout. The fast food outlet was a real pain so I opted for the concrete/render side of the tiles and used the lozenge shaped connectors to hide the joins between the tiles and the connector holes in one go. I did make a mistake with the ground floor front window - that tile was meant to be reversed.

I made a roof from plasticard to save on tiles using the L shaped connectors to hold it in place.

Building 3 - Boutique shops

I had some tiles left over but wasn't sure what to build so I went for a simple 3x3 layout intended to look like two shops together.

This time I didn't have enough extra tiles to hide the gaps having used pretty much all of them on the last two buildings. Instead I used plasticard and strip styrene to neaten things up. To give the building some added strength I glued it to a plasticard base but left the roof detachable so the interior of the building can be used during games.

I partitioned the building into two sides and trimmed the L shaped connectors to act as braces and supports.

I think that's pretty much all of the tiles from my two packs of scenery used up - I have a few odd bits and bobs left but that's about it. As these building are likely to be handled fairly roughly I used more connectors than were supplied with the sets (having bought spares) and everything is glued in place (apart from roof for the shops).

Now to get them painted up.
    Last edited by Maccwar; 21-05-2015 at 08:42.

It took me longer than expected but those three buildings are now complete.

Just a few more odds and ends to complete and this stage of the project will be complete.
    Last edited by Maccwar; 21-05-2015 at 08:42.

There is a chance that my Urban Battle Boards will arrive in the very near future and this has inspired me to finish off some of the last few bits of scenery for this project that I have knocking around.

This lot is all from Mantic and is a mix of resin pieces sold as part of the Mars Attacks Kickstarter campaign as well as some of the plastic pieces from the Mars Attacks accessories sprue.

I'm looking forward to using these in our games of Officer Down and giving a bit more cover in the streets and back alleys of Carnage City.
    Last edited by Maccwar; 21-05-2015 at 08:45.

These look great. I wasn't sure about them on the Kickstarter so didn't back it but looking at these and the accessories has changed my mind.

I think it might be the way you have filled the gaps etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Struggle Within View Post
    These look great. I wasn't sure about them on the Kickstarter so didn't back it but looking at these and the accessories has changed my mind.

I think it might be the way you have filled the gaps etc.
    Thanks. I wanted the buildings to blend in with the ones I already had so I didn't want them to have that fresh from the kit look.

It has finally happened, the long wait is over and the boards have arrived!

12 months late but this arrived on my doorstep just a few minutes ago.

And here is the first board out of the box.

Here are two boards clipped together.

The clips seem strong enough to cope with the 6 inch overhang on each long edge of my table which is one of the main reasons I went with these boards rather than the tablescape ones.

I will try and take some more pictures and do a bit of a review when I get some time later.
    Last edited by Maccwar; 02-11-2015 at 10:26.

And here are the full set of six boards assembled.

That's how they come straight out of the box. The roads are painted but the grey areas are bare plastic. The next step will be to wash and prime the boards whilst being careful to mask off the roads. I will do the 'park' area (on the back right tile) black as a car park and make an insert so I can turn it into a park or a graveyard as the game dictates. Once that lot is done I will need to revist my buildings and try and tie the colour of their bases into the board colour scheme a little better.

Before I get into all that I couldn't resist digging out the scenery and taking a few photos of things as they stand now.

Last edited by Maccwar; 02-11-2015 at 10:26.

Continued ...

Last edited by Maccwar; 02-11-2015 at 10:27.

That looks amazing! Obviously it will only get better when all that white is dirtied up. What an absolute joy it will be for you to play on.
    The Cult Ascendant! A Genestealer Cult Army Log
    + + + =][= + + + Inquisition & Imperial Agents Project Log

Codex: Exodites (7th Ed) The Dragon Knights prepare to charge!
    Codex: Adeptus Arbites (7th Ed) To detect and to purge!
    Codex: Hive Spyrers (7th Ed) Death leaves the underhive!
    Codex: Genestealer Cult (6th Ed) For the Father!

I am very, very jealous of your terrain collection. Really cool stuff.
    The Tabletop Showcase - A new forum dedicated solely to Project Logs and Showcases - Join us now!

The Daniel36 Chronicles - My Project Log
    My Warseer Heroes : JuicyTomatoes - Emperor Norton - Harry - Lord Dan - Ramius4 - Naitsabes - Little Joe - Boreas_NL
    (in no particular order)

Oooh, shiny! Very nice.

If I could make a suggestion for your terrain, how about a bunch of "For Lease" and "Closing down, 75% off" etc. signs in the windows of shops. Give it that urban decay look.

Librarian

Looking good. That town needs a zombie incursion

Quote Originally Posted by ModernKiwi View Post
    If I could make a suggestion for your terrain, how about a bunch of "For Lease" and "Closing down, 75% off" etc. signs in the windows of shops. Give it that urban decay look.
    Nice idea. I has been planning of doing another round of posters and have been collecting suitable images. I already have soem "To Let" signs up but some closing down ones sound like a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by NoobLord View Post
    Looking good. That town needs a zombie incursion
    I'm sure we will be having another game of "And Stay Down" soon enough. The one for Halloween was fun but it will look much nicer on the new boards.

I've started to crack on with painting the boards. I picked the park board to start with as it looks incredibly bland without any paint on it.

After washing the board with detergent and leaving it to dry I roughly blocked out the park area with black spray. I also splurged a few other areas with black as an experiment to see if I could use this to vary the tone of the boards in those areas after priming (it didn't work). I then I used masking tape to block out the park area so I could prime the rest of the board surface.

I put a layer of halfords grey primer over the rest of the board surface and then masked off areas to use a lighter grey spray where the pattern changes to introduce some variation. I then oversprayed small sections with black and the two greys to break up the colour blocks and make it look work and used.

I then brought the boards inside to apply some highlights and washes. If this board is anything to go by then I am going to get through industrial quantities of dark tone ink and lahmian medium before I'm done. After applying the diluted wash to the cracks I wiped the excess from the board surface which gave a nice worn look.

That board still isn't finished as I haven't washed and highlighted the brick tiles yet. There's also work to do on the black area to mark out parking bays which will be a new challenge for me. Overall I'm pleased with the progress so far and can't wait to get cracking on the rest of the boards.

For this particular tile I also need to make a green park insert and other little touches too.
    Last edited by Maccwar; 02-11-2015 at 10:27.

Librarian

Apparently Pledge Multi-Surface Wax (formerly known as Klear) does pretty much the same job as Lahmian Medium at a fraction of the price. I picked up a huge bottle of the stuff for £3.50 at ASDA. I've been using it to mix thin layers so far but haven't yet made any washes.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast