Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: The Empire Road to Volganof... with chaotic interludes

The Empire Road to Volganof... with chaotic interludes

One of my favorite Warhammer moments was opening up that four page spread in the then new 8th edition BRB and being in awe of the massive battle at the walls of this “lesser-known” Empire city. In a nutshell: In the year 2515 a massive Chaos invasion threatens Ostland (what’s new?) and it culminates in the attack on the city of Volganov. I’ve long dreamed of re-playing this battle but there is the minor detail of the massive scale and of course it takes two to tango. Now I’ve found a partner-in-crime for the Chaos side and this blog will chronicle the long (certainly bumpy and potentially windy) road towards playing this battle from the Empire perspective. Eventually there will be a companion blog for the Chaos side (edit 11Nov14, there now is: http://www.warseer.com/forums/showth...her-forces-log). Will we make it? Men much madder than us have succeeded in their endeavor, just look around this section of the forum. so, we’ll just have to wait and see.

This blog will help me get organized; I welcome any and all comments, criticism, words of encouragement or wisdom. Eventually, there will be lots of (rather mediocre) painting to see and lots of kit-bashing, maybe some of it useful as inspiration. All this mixed in with random thoughts and musings about how to approach this project and Empire models in general.

Before I lose my readership with more rambling, let’s get started:
    Units from different provinces came to the defense of Volganov. Here is Captain Rudolf, the fearless leader of Rudolf’s Rudel, a Halberdier regiment from Nordland.

I wanted them all to stand at the ready. I don't like the pose of the current statetroopers all that much especially in large units, here are some close-ups of the more successful conversions from the back ranks.

I’ll leave it at that for now. Cheers. Naitsabes.

EDIT: Army list in post #10 (work in progress)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0091.jpg 
Views:	270 
Size:	93.3 KB 
ID:	190203   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0086.jpg 
Views:	286 
Size:	102.1 KB 
ID:	190204   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0088.jpg 
Views:	255 
Size:	72.5 KB 
ID:	190205   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0089.jpg 
Views:	280 
Size:	81.7 KB 
ID:	190206  
    Last edited by Naitsabes; 11-11-2014 at 18:00.

Re: The Empire Road to Volganov

Great project You have here, I love stuff inspired by the artwork
    Really like your Nordland captain.
    My Bretonnians , my AoS stuff, my other stuff, and my terrains

... and my blog: Nerdworkshop

Don't worry be Happy!

Very nice!

okay then, the Great Muster begins. Iíve started compiling the Army list (will post later). I do have quite a few painted Empire models. But, at this point not a single one in Ostland black-white. The Volganov City Guard proper should certainly be in that color but, I decided to change the Ferlangen Contingent into an Altlangen Contingent (Altlangen, the Altdorf exclave a little bit up the Talabec River, ruled by Baron Beckdorff, I am sure youíve heard of it). This way I get to field a lot of my current models. Now, these guys start the game way out in the field near the city gallows surrounded by the vast Chaos horde. And, itís 1500pts of core/special with no character except for one Captain. In other words, they are in deep trouble. As such I thought this model with the defiant Ďangry fist in the airí pose would be fitting for Baron Beckdorff (not sure why my younger self painted the sword in this weird rust tone).

Here is most of the contingent. Baron Beckdorff will lead the infamous Altlanger Greatswords and I have no doubt they will valiantly stand their ground to the last man. Not so sure about the rest of the gang. Steadfast or not Ld7 will only last so long.

Two of the better Greatsword conversion. The current goldswords just lack a little bit of armor for my taste.

Life in the back rank: Here they were just having a nice swig from the bottle when Bobo opened the flask the nice cloaked stranger gave him last nightÖ

And a close up on some knights. These are ďGamezoneĒ horses, I really like them. They are metal and come with huge gaps so takes a little bit of work but well worth it.

Thanks for your interest and kind words. Cheers. Naitsabes

p.s. anybody have a suggestion how to make the hundreds of shields with the Ostland bull? I have done some minor castings of tidbits but I wouldn't even know what to start from. Rumor has it there is a Bretonian shield with a bull, does anyone have a picture? or better idea?
    Last edited by Naitsabes; 31-03-2014 at 00:42.

Commander

Really nice dude.

What's the method you've used on the Halberdiers?

Chapter Master Karak Norn Clansman's Avatar

Nice. Especially the Knights. Clever use of bits there.

I don't think the state troopers should drink that beverage.

I love the whole Volganoff section in the BRB. Will follow your plog excitedly!
    My Vampire Counts/HeroQuest Plog: http://www.wickedmetal.blogspot.com
    I'm coining it right now, Warhammer 20K.
    Violently opposed to plogs with LINKS to big pictures, instead of big pictures on the plog...
    "If you make me click through, no comments for you!"

Thanks everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by Kingly View Post
    Really nice dude.

What's the method you've used on the Halberdiers?
    I assume you mean the conversion? I've used mostly the current state trooper halberd arms. Shaved the left hand off the shaft. Then glued it onto the right arm so the halberd rests against the right shoulder (needs a little green stuff on the current models but, the hand/halberd in this position fits very nicely onto the 6th edition state troopers and starter set spearmen). The left arm is then a little iffy. you could just use all of the swordsmen left arms. but, it looks a little weird if you don't add shields. I've tried to mix it up a little by adding daggers, a bottles and some other random stuff. There is also a very nice straight puff-sleeve arm that came with the old metal-plastic crossbowmen. hope this helps!

Here is my first attempt at Ostland colors. Soon (or not so soon, realistically) to be working one of the many guns on the walls of Volganov.

I am not too happy with the paint job, white and black are really not too amenable to my typical copious use of washes and glazes. maybe I get the hang of it eventually, I have plenty more in front of me to practice . any wise words of advice (preferably not containing "layering", "blending" or other scary stuff)

last update: 29Aug15
    BOLD
    = required
    GREEN = ready to go
    RED = anything from still on the store shelf to primed and halfway painted

Volganov City Guard (3000pts)
    Oleg von Raukov
    Klaus Solmann (Lv4 Heaven)
    Vassily von Raukov
    Sergov Pfeiffer (Lv1 Fire)

Baron von Blutten
    Captain Schwarzhelb
    60 Stalwart Bulls (Greatswords)
    30 Gryphon Guard A
    30 Gryphon Guard B
    40 Reinforcement Spearman
    40 Reinforcement Halberdiers
    40 Reinforcement Swordsmen

2 Steam Tank
    17 Knights of the Golden Griffon

Captain of the Golden Griffon
    3x 10 Crossbowmen
    3x 10 Handgunner
    2 Priests
    2 Captains

2 Battle Wizards (Lv2)

40 City Halberdiers
    40 City Spearmen
    Hurricanum
    Helblaster Volley Gun
    Engineer

Artillery of Volganov (1500pts)
    Kannonmeister Gunther Trundlekopf (Engineer)
    Ol' Puddings (Cannon)
    Spinning Bertha (Helblaster)
    Helblaster
    5 cannons
    2 Mortars

4 cannons
    1 Mortars

Ostland
    30 Kludburgh Militia
    20 Volgar's Shadomen (Huntsmen)
    Volgar (Captain)
    50 Flagellants of the Forest of Shadow
    50 Scarlet Curs (Halberdiers)
    Vasili von Raukov

Other Provinces
    Volkman (Captain)
    50 "Bechafen" Halberdiers
    30 "Blackhats of Talabheim" (Swordsmen)

Altlangen Contingent (Captain + 1000pts core + 500pts special)
    Baron Beckdorf
    2x 10 Handgunner
    31 Spearmen
    30 Swordsmen
    6 Knights (FC)
    6 Knights (musician)

24 Altlanger Greatswords+FC+Standard of Disciplin
    12 Swordsmen (Detachment)
    5 Pistoliers (music+champ+repeater)

Relief Column (1500pts mounted)
    Kurt Helborg
    Ludvig Schwartzhelm

45 1st Reiksguard
    45 2nd Reiksguard
    Valmir von Raukov
    Raukov Battle Standard

10 Raukov Household Knights
    6 Knights
    3 Demigryph Knights
    3 Demigryph Knights
    2 Pegasus Captain
    Pegasus Captain
    6 Outriders
    5 Pistoliers
    Luminark
    Last edited by Naitsabes; 29-08-2015 at 11:27.

Hey everyone!

I've added the army list into post #10 (right above this one). It's work in progress and there are still many details to flesh out but it's a start.

and I finished my first cannon+crew.

I suppose thatís technically the first complete unit in Ostland colors. I am slowly warming up to the black-white scheme. I am using mostly P3 colors and overall I am pretty happy with them but, it turns out the white isnít all that great. It took 3-4 coats to get the cannon all gleaming and thatís 2-3 coats too many considering the bricks of state troopers in my future. I suppose I should get one of these uber-pigment GW paints. Would that do it?

While we are looking at cannons, here are a (slightly fuzzy) cannon and helblaster from Nordland bolstering the defences of Volganov.

The Helblaster might be small and old but itís mean!

Gamewise, I can put warmachines into the City Guard proper as well as the Artillery contingent. Since I canít take engineers in the latter this seems like the place for the regular cannons while the helblasters and their babysitters come out of the regular army budget.

upward and onward!!

minor update.

my earlier plea for the Bretonnian bull head shield was very successful. kind people from around the world sent their shields and I started up the factory (no child labor involved...but tempting, this would be the right job for tiny little hands :engel: ).

the painted shield is green stuff (still struggling with the white). looks good to me. then there are two ready-for-paint and a few that need to be cleaned up. I am wondering how many castings I can do from each mold. anyone wants to venture a guess? it's not hard to remake the mold and I think there is room for improvement there as well. currently there is too much green stuff wastage.

also, I did get lucky on ebay. this should sort my bits needs for the foreseeable future:

There'll be more painted models in my next update. upward and onward! cheers. Sebastian

p.s. anyone kind enough to tell me how I can edit the thread title? would like to add an update note
    Last edited by Naitsabes; 28-04-2014 at 01:26.

That's a beautiful army you've started up bud. Love the look of those gamezone knights too.

PS. The older state troops that you're using are sooo much better than the newer ones.
    ToFP PLOG http://www.warseer.com/forums/showth...37#post7281537

Quote Originally Posted by Darnok View Post
    I... umm... will ban you!
    No wonder that you thought 2nd ed 40K sucked. You weren't even playing it.

You should look into Instant Mold, it's cheap and reusable, I've used it for Tyranid heads and WoC halberds, gets a little iffy once you start doing bigger stuff because you'll get trapped air, making bubbles, but other than that it's better than sliced bread for cloning small bits.

You've got a great mixture of old and new figures in your army.

thanks everyone for your comments.

Ramius & Modern Kiwi, yes the older Empire stuff is better by and large....with the glaring exception of that tired old warhorse puff-n-slash is also easier to paint for less-than-gifted painters like me. But, I do like most of the current range as well so I mix things up quite a bit.

Speknawz, the shields come from Instant Mold. If I could sculpt like that I wouldn't need a day job, and could live like a king (or so I heard ).

Speaking of shields, I have received some of Hayden Miniatures shields. Sometimes sending money to strangers on Facebook actually does work out (your mileage may vary ). They are slightly larger than the GW ones (which I don’t like) but the bull looks cool. I think I’ll use the round version on a knight unit and a mix of kite versions on the infantry.

On to the meat of this update, here are some Swordsmen coming to the defense of Volganov!

To the right are more Altdorfers. The detachment clearly shows that men of all sizes are welcome to defend the Empire. The metal plug-in guys (first one on the left) are still some of my favorite x-bow sculpts. On the left are the Gold Heads of the Talabec. They are proudly presenting the red Ottilian Eagle on their shields so that should make for some interesting times in the taverns of Volganov. The regimental colors honor the legendary founder of the regiment.

Full frontal. The Gold Heads are led by the fearless Captain Beresov. Many a foe has underestimated how quick he is with that little hatchet. Beresov had retired to his family farm on the Talabec but, when the count requested his service he answered the call. Now they march north against the tide of refugees.

Here they are in the soft light of sunset (this is me struggling with the camera. One day “f-stop” I shall conquer you. Just not today.)

Besides the assembly line of Swordsmen I had to do something creative so tried my hands at the man himself, Valmir von Raukov. Of course there is this classic model:

This was one of my first GW purchases, spend 15 hard earned deutschmarks. In those days with the likes of Nagash walking the earth quite regularly it seemed like a good idea to have a character that could shoot them from a safe distance with an awesome magic bow. Never quite worked out too well as far as I can remember. Anyway, the model (much like its owner) hasn’t aged too well. It’s too 2D and one can barely see that famous bow. And, the head + hat are way to Kislev for my liking. Here is what I came up with:

I quite like him. I am unsure about adding a shield. Gamewise, all the cool kids of the Empire skip it, so shouldn’t he? Modelwise, I don’t want to cover him up too much, OTOH it would be nice to hide is dainty little Elf hand. Maybe a little buckler-type shield? Thoughts?

Upward and onward. Sebastian

p.s. I've updated the tentative army list in post #10. still not complete though
    Last edited by Naitsabes; 27-05-2014 at 04:38.

Looks good, I really like the Ostland colours on the cannon! Clean and muted. I hope you find an easier way to reproduce this :-) good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Lion View Post
    Looks good, I really like the Ostland colours on the cannon! Clean and muted. I hope you find an easier way to reproduce this :-) good luck!
    alas I haven't, still struggling with the white.

Alright, summer is winding down. I did some painting but, the stars need to align before taking pictures. In the meantime, I do have some pictures from a recent ‘Warm up for Volganov’ game I played. This was 12K (+3K of monsters as per Storm of Magic). Some might call this merely a ‘decent-sized’ game but, by our standards it was epic. We had a blast and I am happy to report the Empire carried the day quite decisively. However, quite a few brave halberdiers won’t make it home such is the way of the warhammer world

Here we are, arrayed for battle.

so many (beautifully painted) chaos warriors

a vicious greater dragon looking for the next meal

after breaking through my lines, the last skull crusher rides into a hail of lead

the confusion of wings is two dragons duking it out. I tipped the scale a bit by throwing in a grand master, hurricanum, war altar and halberdiers with BSB...not the kitchen sink though.

Some thoughts on large games (blatantly not painting related):
    - The rules scale quite well. We did do 4D6 for magic, played for 10 turns and allowed triple marching outside of 24” but that’s about it and it worked out well.
    - A big table is key to allow maneuvering and in particular a deep table so units have a chance to move about behind the lines. We used a 12x6 table. We didn’t allow deployment within 18” of the short sides to enable flanking maneuvers and force us into forming multiple battle lines.
    - It’s a huge time commitment (in fact that’s what’s keeping us from doing this more often). Setup 3 hours, ~15 hours of gaming, 2 hours for take-down. We spread it over three days
    Would be curious to hear about other people’s experiences.
    Upward and onward. Sebastian

p.s. still haven't figured out how to change the thread name. help!

I don't think you give yourself enough credit on the painting front. All your figs look absolutely great to me. I love how you've done the Ostland black and white. Sorry to hear it's a pain. I'd spray white as a basecoat and work up from there, having a good spray coat makes my life so much easier.

Can't help you with the thread title unfortunately.

That game looks like it was a blast. Thanks for sharing your house rules. I'd love to be involved in something that epic. Keep up the great work! Your Vladimir conversion is great. I didn't even notice the small hand until you mentioned it.
    My Vampire Counts/HeroQuest Plog: http://www.wickedmetal.blogspot.com
    I'm coining it right now, Warhammer 20K.
    Violently opposed to plogs with LINKS to big pictures, instead of big pictures on the plog...
    "If you make me click through, no comments for you!"

If you edit the first post in the thread, and "go advanced", you can change the thread title.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast