Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: The Empire Road to Volganof... with chaotic interludes

Re: The Empire Road to Volganov

aargh. no. I did manage to change the title of the first post. but, it did not carry through to the thread title (like it does in a certain other forum).

painting is commencing. one can never have to many Reiksguard knights (or so I hope).

Awesome stuff as ever.

If you want a title change for your thread, report the first post (the little triangle under your name/joindate/posts) and ask the Mods nicely (I hear they like chocolate).

well, I think I will not update the title then. wouldn't want to pester the mods with that, they got bigger fish to fry.

in other news...
    Update time! Today you’ll be looking at knights. Quite a few of them. But first, here is the proud Elector Count of Ostland, the man, the myth, the legend: Valmir von Raukov in all his painted glory. I left off the shield as suggested. 1+ armor saves are for cowards. I quite like how he came together, just a little unsure about the bow. Going with a funky color was the only way I could come up with to scream “MAGIC”. Eventually I’d like him to lead a unit of Ostland Homeguard knights (in black-white with bull shields).

The Volganov scenario gives me a substantial cavalry force that enters from a flank on a later turn. This is a tentative list:
    Kurt Helborg, Ludvig Schwartzhelm
    45x 1st Reiksguard
    45x 2nd Reiksguard
    Valmir von Raukov, Raukov Battle Standard
    18 Knights of the Gold Star
    Captain of the Golden Star
    3x Demigryph Knights
    3x Pegasus Captain
    6 Outriders
    5 Pistoliers
    Luminark

Here is the start to the Reiksguard contingent:

Kurt and Ludvig should be happy, there isn’t a speck of rust on the armor or dirt on the lances. But…where is the rest of them? Ninety is a bit of a crazy number. I have twelve more painted (not pictured) but that still means I am only a quarter of the way. I think I will work towards getting one unit of 45 done. And then do something else for a while. This will give me a nice knight horde and there aren’t too many of these (on the Northern Hemisphere at least).

These are the mighty Knights of the Gold Star, veterans of many battles against the chaos horde .

And the obligatory little Demigryph unit. I really should get more of these guys, this unit was fun to paint.

That’s all for now. Back to chipping away at the Reiksguard unit and painting something heretical (and fun) on the side. Hope the pictures are inspirational to some of you.
    Upward and onward!

Quote Originally Posted by ModernKiwi View Post
    (I hear they like chocolate)
    I have been summoned?

......I hope the mod is off squashing Spanish rumors. Because, I really don't have any chocolate!

The slow march to Volganov continues…in a twisted sort of way. Careful, heresy below!

Painting Empire is the noblest pursuit of happiness of course but, an occasional break to the dark side of the force helps to keep the edge.

Here is a unit of Khorne Warriors. I really enjoyed converting them…it’s a lot more feasible when a unit is 18 and not 50 guys. Most got some Khorne love in the form of bestial mutations. There are a few Reaper Bones guys in the mix. They come with funny little heads, I changed these to proper heroic scale GW ones.

A close-up of a few guys. Chaos Warriors aren’t the easiest to convert, the one foot forward pose is really tiring, beastman bits helped.

Here is the Empire at its best: Going against a monstrosity with puffy sleeves and slippers.

...which brings us to more wholesome painting, here are a few tester models for the first Volganov halberdier unit. For the Ostland feel I’ve settled on big beards and “sculpting” fur caps (Sculpting is really too big a word for pushing a ball of green stuff on a model's head and poking it with a toothpick for a while). I was playing with different ways of doing the white, I think I found a way that looks reasonable and doesn’t take too long (second from left). And, I experimented with accent colors. Yellow should look good with the red bull shield, what do you think? So yes, the stage is set to do another 49 or so. Ugh.

..and work in progress. This will bring the Reiksguard up to 30, only 60 more to go (I am sure you are all keeping track). One would think I should eventually get the hang of doing these sashes but no, every batch is different, some come out fine, some don’t. Sometimes the green stuff seems so sticky and it just turns into a disaster. It might have to do with the yellow:blue ratio (which I wing every time)…or potentially with coffee consumption that day…or possibly both.

Unfortunately, my knight supply chain is broken, ebay has not been kind to me lately. After what feels like 75 years of production shouldn’t there be a plethora of knights, cheap as chips? Alas, there isn’t, at least not by my standards. Oh well, halberds it is I guess.

Upward and Onward!

Really awesome stuff in here.

P.S.: Concerning the thread title change, just drop me a PM, and I'll sort it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Darnok View Post
    Really awesome stuff in here.

P.S.: Concerning the thread title change, just drop me a PM, and I'll sort it out.
    Thank you, much appreciated on both counts.

Great battle! And realy well executed Khorne Warriors, but remember, Sigmar is always watching, and he may not be pleased!

Great work, keep it up!
    My Bretonnians , my AoS stuff, my other stuff, and my terrains

... and my blog: Nerdworkshop

Don't worry be Happy!

Really nice work here. Love seeing the bold colors.
    ToFP PLOG http://www.warseer.com/forums/showth...37#post7281537

I... umm... will ban you!
    No wonder that you thought 2nd ed 40K sucked. You weren't even playing it.

Re: The Empire Road to Volganov...with chaotic interludes

Loving the whole Idea and great execution. The BRB gets a lot of Flack, yet People overlook how Nice the Backparts in this Book are, especially the Volganov pages....nobody Forces you to play the same szenarios over and over gain.

I really hope you Guys manage the whole Lot and deliver a cracking Battle Report!
    My OOP Dwarf Army

My Imperial Fists

The internet, where the men are men, the women are probably men, and the little girls are FBI agents.

This is one hell of an undertaking. Its turning out pretty great. that 12k battle already made me jealous as poop...
    also im selling a lot of empire..dunno if you are interested but we can always see if there is anything you might like.

in any way...keep up the great stuff! That battle will be marvelous. Are you also building that huge castle for it?

also not sure if you managed the title yet..but you have to contact a mod to do it for you.

first of all, here is a little addendum that I somehow left out of my update, another close-up of khorne warriors (I use that last word loosely)

Quote Originally Posted by Grain Weevil View Post
    Great battle! And realy well executed Khorne Warriors, but remember, Sigmar is always watching, and he may not be pleased!

Great work, keep it up!
    thanks. and yes I know, it'll take a few regiments of halberdiers before I am back on Sigmar's good side. I am painting his faithful worshipers at the moment, I promise!

Quote Originally Posted by Ramius4 View Post
    Really nice work here. Love seeing the bold colors.
    thanks. you know what they say about guys who paint in bold colors?

Quote Originally Posted by Theatralic View Post
    Loving the whole Idea and great execution. The BRB gets a lot of Flack, yet People overlook how Nice the Backparts in this Book are, especially the Volganov pages....nobody Forces you to play the same szenarios over and over gain.

I really hope you Guys manage the whole Lot and deliver a cracking Battle Report!
    The battle report part is where we are severely behind the times. No write-up with photos, no youtube videos, no facebook groups, no nothing for any of our bigger battles up to this point. Volganov is years away at the pace we are going so nothing I am immediately worried about.

...and yes, the second half of the BRB is full of good stuff. We've played some of the extra scenarios and always had a good time. Just takes that little bit of extra effort to break out of the 'yet-another-pick-up game' mold.

Quote Originally Posted by Breazer View Post
    This is one hell of an undertaking. Its turning out pretty great. that 12k battle already made me jealous as poop...
    also im selling a lot of empire..dunno if you are interested but we can always see if there is anything you might like.

in any way...keep up the great stuff! That battle will be marvelous. Are you also building that huge castle for it?

also not sure if you managed the title yet..but you have to contact a mod to do it for you.
    Breazer, thanks for the offer. I am always looking for Empire models but, given the scale of this undertaking really at bargain end of the spectrum. you know, the bent and broke, encrusted in paint kind of guys from the bottom of the bin. And, I can't see that working out with international shipping costs. Having said that, here is my plea to the world:

Give me your tired, your poor,
    Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
    The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
    Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me!

And then there is the city of Volganov. Here is GWs version (shamelessly stolen from the hoodling hole, which is THE blog to look at for big battles):

We definitely do want to recreate that. But, it is a bit of challenge now, isn't it? To be honest, I have no idea how we are going to tackle that at the moment. Even just the logistics of storing something like this are daunting. My buddy keeps saying it's doable. He's got some mad skills, so maybe it is... Basically, I block this part out of my mind and focus on the next halberdier for the time being. small steps. small steps.

thanks for the interest everyone. keeps me on track!
    Last edited by Naitsabes; 17-10-2014 at 18:13.

Annnnnnnnd...

Subscribed.

Wow - this is amazing! Great work mate, spectacular painting!

Quote Originally Posted by Naitsabes View Post
    Holy... What the...!

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Dan View Post
    Annnnnnnnd...

Subscribed.
    (Grabs popcorn) Me too!
    ToFP PLOG http://www.warseer.com/forums/showth...37#post7281537

I... umm... will ban you!
    No wonder that you thought 2nd ed 40K sucked. You weren't even playing it.

(Grabs... something) Already tuned in!
    The Tabletop Showcase - A new forum dedicated solely to Project Logs and Showcases - Join us now!

The Daniel36 Chronicles - My Project Log
    My Warseer Heroes : JuicyTomatoes - Emperor Norton - Harry - Lord Dan - Ramius4 - Naitsabes - Little Joe - Boreas_NL
    (in no particular order)

This is some seriously brilliant work.

WOW!!!!

This is sheer liquid wonder muff!

Your Von Raukov is pure class. Love his Dragon Bow and Runefang.

When I first saw you had set a goal of recreating the battle of Volganov, I admit that I thought to myself "Nice idea, dream on though".... This doubt most likely stems from my own inability to follow a project through. BUT you have already done tons of stuff, and it looks amazing. So please accept my heartfelt apologies for my lack of faith.

To redeem myself let me know if you need any bits and bobs, I have got tons of stuff I will never get through so give us a shout. It will be worth it for such a grand goal

Also It is good fun reading through it. I like your style. "Puffed sleeves and slippers" indeed its the only way sir!

Keep it up lad, Keep it up!
    THE OLD BLACK AND YELLOW an Averland project log
    www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=295102

A Reckless Disregard for the Codex Astartes: Raptors project log
    http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/t...odex-astartes/

By the way, I'm totally stealing your color scheme for those Ostlanders. I love the black/white striping with the various colored stockings.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast