Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: The Empire Road to Volganof... with chaotic interludes

Re: The Empire Road to Volganov...with chaotic interludes

When we (Chaos) come down to the Empire we will be doing one hell of a bbq with the flesh of 90 horses. Yummie.
    Nel mezzo del cammin di nostra vita,
    mi ritrovai per una selva oscura,
    ché la diritta via era smarrita.

nur der Regen weint am Grab...

wow, thanks for the interest and the compliments guys. the pressure is on to get an update out. I've dug myself out from under some work-related deadlines a few days ago and am painting away. maybe another week or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Dan View Post
    Annnnnnnnd...
    Subscribed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramius4 View Post
    (Grabs popcorn) Me too!
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel36 View Post
    (Grabs... something) Already tuned in!
    given the frequency of updates here, I would recommend hard biscuit. so are these subscriptions where the gold stars for the thread came from? ...what do you mean read the forum rules, who has time for that? ...did I just say that out loud?

Quote Originally Posted by The Yak View Post
    WOW!!!!
    When I first saw you had set a goal of recreating the battle of Volganov, I admit that I thought to myself "Nice idea, dream on though".... This doubt most likely stems from my own inability to follow a project through. BUT you have already done tons of stuff, and it looks amazing. So please accept my heartfelt apologies for my lack of faith.

To redeem myself let me know if you need any bits and bobs, I have got tons of stuff I will never get through so give us a shout. It will be worth it for such a grand goal

Also It is good fun reading through it. I like your style. "Puffed sleeves and slippers" indeed its the only way sir!
    Keep it up lad, Keep it up!
    Thank you very much, apologies accepted (although none was needed). I try to keep it entertaining. Warhammer as a hobby is weird in that it requires quite a bit of dedication while at the same time you can't take it too seriously.

Will we ever actually play the battle of Volganov? I don't know, but I will end up with a bunch of painted miniatures either way. "Der Weg ist das Ziel"...I'll let Lord Dan chew on that gem of German Kuechenphilosophie. speaking of the devil:
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Dan View Post
    By the way, I'm totally stealing your color scheme for those Ostlanders. I love the black/white striping with the various colored stockings.
    I am honored. There are plenty more province that'll need a bit of colors. Reikland, Wissenland I think is grey in grey. not all the color can be in the plummage.

Quote Originally Posted by Disposable Hero View Post
    When we (Chaos) come down to the Empire we will be doing one hell of a bbq with the flesh of 90 horses. Yummie.
    hah! that's just the reiksguard. There will be plenty more horse meat to munch one eventually.

cheers guys. Sebastian

Quote Originally Posted by Naitsabes View Post
    I am honored. There are plenty more province that'll need a bit of colors. Reikland, Wissenland I think is grey in grey. not all the color can be in the plummage.
    I have to agree that the Ostlanders just 'pop'. I think part of it is the fact that you got a really solid white, and solid black. Your lines are very clean, and it just looks awesome.

And you know, as long as you're enjoying getting things painted, the battle can wait. There's plenty of other battles to be played that don't require $1000 in terrain
    ToFP PLOG http://www.warseer.com/forums/showth...37#post7281537

Quote Originally Posted by Darnok View Post
    I... umm... will ban you!
    No wonder that you thought 2nd ed 40K sucked. You weren't even playing it.

And you know, as long as you're enjoying getting things painted, the battle can wait. There's plenty of other battles to be played that don't require $1000 in terrain
    true enough. although at this point I don't anticipate us hunting down dozens of OOP GW buildings at ebay scalping prices. I am more thinking along the lines of hirst bricks, talent and dedication (I have the last one down).

so...Update time!
    Today you’ll get to meet one of the units prescribed by the scenario, the Kludburgh militia. This is a unit of 30 Free Company (hey, if it wasn’t for this scenario I don’t think I would have ever made a unit like it). Their town got razed by the advancing chaos horde and the survivors have made their way to Volganov (their special rule: “hatred against Chaos”…I am not convinced it’ll do them any good).

Here are a few close-ups of the more illustrious survivors:
    From the left:
    Sir Brun, Knight of the Golden Calf. He survived passed out drunk in the wine cellar of the Kludburgh tavern. After losing his honor, his pride, his destrier and his squire (which he values in this order), Sir Brun decided that it is his knightly duty to lead the Kludburgh militia to their destiny.

Sergeant Frank of the 3rd Ostland Spears. The 3rd got all but annihilated in a separate beastmen attack on the Grimway. After struggling through the forest all alone for two days Frank ceased the opportunity to join the Kludburgh militia when he stumbled upon them.

Silent Bob, the village idiot. During the attack Bob just stood in the middle of the town square with the usual smile on his face and for unknown reason was ignored by the savages that pillaged and murdered everyone around him. He was almost lynched by the Kludburghers afterwards for chaos worshipping (for how else could he have been left untouched) but his innocent smile saved him (yet again?). Bob is now in charge of pulling the cart with all that was worth taking from Kludburgh’s ruins. It is not a heavy load.

Hey, this is fun, so one more set, from the left:
    Bodo, the Burner. Short and stout from a life of cutting wood and burning charcoal on a diet of mostly cabbage soup, Bodo’s kiln and hut off in the woods was not attacked. But, no town means nobody will buy his charcoal and so Bodo joined in.

Old Petey. He is the sole survivor of an extended family. There is but one thing left to do for Old Petey: shoving the blunderbuss in some abomination’s face and squeezing the trigger.

Oswald. He is a veteran of the Ostland Army and retired to Kludburgh some years ago. Oswald fought valiantly to defend the town but was knocked unconscious and left for dead early on in the attack. He is ready for round two.

Young Helga. She was skinny dipping in the remote Nixen Pond and started running towards Volganov when she saw the smoke billowing up over the trees. Too late to save her family, Helga has sworn not to put back on any clothes until every last Northman invader has been put to the sword. The guys don’t complain.

I now realize that Sir Brun should really get Captain stats. Which means I need one more milita man and, this should be a standard bearer. That standard should be suitably gruesome. Maybe the militia would nail trophies to a pole for every chaos thug they hunted down. Our own real world history has plenty of gruesome examples, ears and scalps come to mind but I don’t think I could pull that off skillwise. Maybe hands (and hooves)? What do you think?

Okay, so this picture of the Reiksguard is mostly for my own benefit and to motivate me. I keep telling myself “It’s just one more rank and the first unit is done.”

I’ll do a proper photo when the unit is complete. I have acquired the models for it, so it’s just a question of elbow grease. Speaking of these new acquisition

The lot included a few of the old metal Reiksguard which is nice for a LITTLE bit of variety. Now in the past when I got my hands on these guys I chopped of the diddy short lance (probably state of the art in the early ‘90s) and replaced it with a plastic lance. What do you guys think about that? Is this sacrilege? The model isn’t older than me, so it can’t be too bad, right?
    Also pictured is a nice “Heroic Hero with Broadsword” from that same era (this was before GW made sure everything can be turned into a trademark…). I really like him, they just don’t sculpt ‘staches like this anymore. He’ll make good Reiksguard unit champion…I do need to add more command models so I can use multiple Reiksguard units of reasonable size in regular games.
    That’s all for now folks. Upward and onward!

That's an awesome unit of Free Company I really like the Reiksguard too, and I for one don't think it's sacrilege to give him a better lance.

The Reiksguard and free company look brilliant.

Impressive blog. Very inspiring.
    Kudos to your mate as well for his chaos army.

A neat looking growing army indeed. I really like the militia, a lot of character in the unit! And all those knights.. Man you're mental! Keep up the great work!

Chaplain

Would a good leader not see that his men are well equipped even if it means surrendering a loyal tool? Chop those lances I say!

This is awesome. The Volganov bit was easily my favorite in the BRB but I actually never thought I would see anybody recreating it. Best of luck.

I love the free company unit, great story too.

Stygian Beach, Eco.sv and Grain Weevil: thanks a lot. And, I was actually surprised when I couldn't find some Volganov-wanna-be blog on google. It is not a terribly original idea after all.

and I for one don't think it's sacrilege to give him a better lance.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Odor View Post
    Would a good leader not see that his men are well equipped even if it means surrendering a loyal tool? Chop those lances I say!
    alright then since Brothers Ramius and Odor gave me absolution I feel much better about cutting up the old metal.

Quote Originally Posted by Groza View Post
    Impressive blog. Very inspiring.
    Kudos to your mate as well for his chaos army.
    Thanks. and, that's an important point. His log is now in full swing, lots of puss and pustules for the moment and really awesome in my biased opinion, so go check it out if you haven't already:
    http://www.warseer.com/forums/showth...her-forces-log

Quote Originally Posted by Naitsabes View Post
    alright then since Brothers Ramius and Odor gave me absolution I feel much better about cutting up the old metal.
    Good man Yeah, it's one thing to obliterate an old model. But giving it a bit of an update so it looks better is never a crime in my book.

Wow, time flies when you are having …a family, work deadlines, End Time books to read and Warhammer games to play …so to sum it up: FUN! The End Time in particular has mixed things up a bit on the gaming side. I had a good game with Empire against an Undead Legion and a really fun game of Chaos Legion on Chaos Legion in a Watchtower scenario. Yes, you read that right, fun with and against the new lists and fun with the watchtower scenario. I live in a Warhammer paradise, where the terrible things that ruin everybody’s warhammer according to the internet don’t apply (I also saw a rainbow unicorn snuggling up with some bunny rabbits the other day…I live in a special place).

So not too much happened on the painting side. I did grind my way through some more halberdiers, but why show you twenty today when I could show you a complete unit tomorrow (or the day after). I did however finish a truthsayer and used the opportunity to drag out some other wizards who have recently come out of the bushes to help in the defense of VolganoF (that’s right, I belatedly found out that’s how you spell that city…not that ANYONE would have discreetly send me a PM…hope you all had a good time chuckling about my inability to spell like a drunken Englishman).

The truthsayer strutting his stuff and a not-Gandalf Shadow Wizard

And here is a little old guy, affectionately known as Catweazle, also mostly Shadow although in a pinch I’ve used him as Beast. Next to him a much more grandiose Light Wizard (clearly that school of magic needs lots more trinkets)

And finally here is the monthly dose of heresy, an Exalted Flamer and his little buddy. The Exalted is a really great model, if I could do it again though I would position the arms a little wider and then have the flames from the mouth be a little more like a fireball….next time. He is magnetized to the base, so he can hop on his ride (which is work in progress).

That’s it, short and sweet, hopefully worth your time. Cheers.

Amazing color scheme on that left flamer, I'll have to steal it for my own.

Awesome stuff, the Truthsayer is my favorite from this batch. How about a quick drybrush highlight on the Shadow-Gandalf's beard? (that miniature is an old favorite of mine)

Quote Originally Posted by Groza View Post
    Amazing color scheme on that left flamer, I'll have to steal it for my own.
    Steal away...and then post it on here! This came about because I don't like the 'pinkalicious' look for the horrors and I then carried this scheme over to the flamers.

Quote Originally Posted by Karak Norn Clansman View Post
    Very, very good log in so many ways. Great stuff!
    thanks, putting this stuff up has been a great experience so far

Awesome stuff, the Truthsayer is my favorite from this batch. How about a quick drybrush highlight on the Shadow-Gandalf's beard? (that miniature is an old favorite of mine)
    really, you think just because you highlight your heart out upon request I might do a drybrush? well, you are right:

I'll admit it's an improvement. Please keep nudging me towards painting glory
    Also in this picture some shields provided by the beacon of generosity that is Lord Dan. He sent enough to equip the rest of the Reiksguard unit!
    Last edited by Naitsabes; 16-12-2014 at 08:08.

Re: The Empire Road to Volganof... with chaotic interludes

He looks way better with the highlight

Love this. Great model useage and good paintjobs - keep up the speed and keep on ploddin'!

Love the free company and in general, the themed nature of the force. That wizard model is a cracking old figure too - I love the old metal Empire figures and have quite a few knocking about waiting to one day have a visit from my paint brushes. The colour scheme you have given him works well too.

Looking forwards to seeing that swathe of Reiksguard finished and amassed for a photo. I do think the Empire knight models are long overdue an update from GW though!

Cheers,

Dante

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast