Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Itsacon's 15-year catch-up conversion and painting project log thread thingy

Chaplain

Re: Itsacon's 15-year catch-up conversion and painting project log thread thingy

Very, very nice paint job on that wizard already, I can't wait to see the finished product! I really like the peacock-feather, and pretty much everything to do with his hat (what's a wizard without a particularly spiffy hat, no?).
    Your work is always very clean, polished, and bold. Enviable stuff, indeed, my friend.

*Edit: Oh, and yay for execution force! Woooo!

Re: Itsacon's 15-year catch-up conversion and painting project log thread thingy

And the wizard is finished!

As with the other two, I've used the artwork on the warrior card as inspiration, hence the white-and-blue mantle (if left to my own devices he'd probably ended up as Gandalf, or a red wizard). I'm quite happy with the end-result though, even the white turned out better than I'd expected.

Quote Originally Posted by ooontrprzes View Post
    Very, very nice paint job on that wizard already, I can't wait to see the finished product! I really like the peacock-feather, and pretty much everything to do with his hat (what's a wizard without a particularly spiffy hat, no?).
    Glad to know the feather is a bit recognizable, I had my doubts. And my gf actually asked why I didn't write `WIZZARD' on the hat...

Quote Originally Posted by ooontrprzes View Post
    Your work is always very clean, polished, and bold. Enviable stuff, indeed, my friend.
    Thanks!
    Last edited by Itsacon; 31-12-2015 at 07:58.
    I'm painting a crapload of quite old models for WFB, 40K, Blood Bowl, Quest, Necromunda, BFG and more. Cheer me on!
    I'm also restoring 20+ old Mk1 Space Marine tanks. Wave your pom-poms!

Models painted (% finished): 2014: 51 (6.6%); 2015: 106 (13.5%); 2016: 163 (22.6%); 2017: 35 (25.2%)

Some nice looking stuff in here keep it up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel36 View Post
    I don't think licking the black undercoat and dark greens will help though...
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel36 View Post
    That tip I gave you about not licking black undercoat... also kind of applies to superglue!
    My Log Comments Welcome

stormravens747 xbox live

Aahhhh Warhammer Quest!

Good times.
    The Tabletop Showcase - A new forum dedicated solely to Project Logs and Showcases - Join us now!

The Daniel36 Chronicles - My Project Log
    My Warseer Heroes : JuicyTomatoes - Emperor Norton - Harry - Lord Dan - Ramius4 - Naitsabes - Little Joe - Boreas_NL
    (in no particular order)

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by Itsacon View Post
    And my gf actually asked why I didn't write `WIZZARD' on the hat...
    Though I appreciate the reference, if that hat doesn't already say "wizzard" I don't know what does! . That does remind me of how badly I need to get some of the discworld minis, though. Now that would be an amusing round of WHQ: Cpt Carrot, Cheery Littlebottom, and Rincewind searching for the golden idol! "what about me?" "you can be luggage, shut up!" "this is a terrible game"
    ...sorry, I drift off occasionally. Great stuff though, keep it up!

The first half of the Orc BB team is done: The linemen.

I started out painting all twelve models together, but at a certain point I was just painting these guys. And why fight what comes naturally?

Once again, the `default' colour-scheme, as described in the `How to paint' leaflet.
    Last edited by Itsacon; 18-07-2016 at 10:07.
    I'm painting a crapload of quite old models for WFB, 40K, Blood Bowl, Quest, Necromunda, BFG and more. Cheer me on!

Models painted (% finished): 2014: 51 (6.6%); 2015: 106 (13.5%); 2016: 163 (22.6%); 2017: 35 (25.2%)

Some things are easier done by batch, some things are simply more enjoyable to do individually. Indeed, don't fight it. They look great!

The Orc Blitzers and Throwers are done as well!

And I've finally started work on the Black Orcs. I was avoiding these a bit, and they'll be the only ones that don't follow the `How to paint' leaflet. GW suggests painting the skin black with green highlights, but I didn't like the look of that, so after much deliberation, I'm going for a black shaded dark green.
    Last edited by Itsacon; 18-07-2016 at 10:09.

I love this, your doing something similar to what I'm hopefully going to pull my finger out and do can't wait to see where this goes loving the blood bowl teams defiantly subbed

Awesome classic paint colours. The black orc skin looks spot on and I agree black with green highlights would put me off aswell. Ah the lure of painting up a blood bowl team when I have no intentions of playing blood bowl.
    http://www.warseer.com/forums/showth...to-paint-again

Since 2017
    Minis bought - 12
    Minis Painted - 6

Thanks for the support guys!

The Black Orcs are pretty much done. Transfers are drying now. Varnish and grass tonight, Blood Bowl (and pictures) tomorrow!

As promised, the finished Black Orcs:

And the complete Orc team:

Great thing: I introduced the chief organizer of my gaming group to Blood Bowl only last month. And then yesterday we played a game on awesome club-branded pitches.
    Last edited by Itsacon; 18-07-2016 at 10:26.

First you got two updates in one week, and now I give you two in one day!

I was cleaning my desk, came across the sprues for Space Hulk, started putting those models away, realized I'd already done most of the work on the doors, and decided to finish them.

Voila, another 20 models to cross from the list:

Quite simple paint job: Spray painted metal over black, black wash, some brown wash in spots, metal drybrush, and then some extra detailing with Typhus Corrosion and Ryza Rust, and another layer of metal drybrushing in those spots.

And that means 2015 is already a better year than 2014. Huzzah, I might actually get this done before retirement!
    Last edited by Itsacon; 18-07-2016 at 10:10.

And the first two models for the Dwarf team are done, the Runners:

Painting these felt like coming home. I started the Warhammer hobby way back in '97 with a 5th edition Fantasy Dwarf army, and Dwarfs have always been my go-to force for games set in the Fantasy universe. With 40k, I've occasionally thought about other armies, but with Fantasy it's always been Dwarfs all the way.

Getting to work on Dwarfs again* brought back a lot of good memories, and if it wasn't for the uncertainty surrounding 9th edition, I'd probably start up painting my Dwarf army right now. I might still do that anyway, going over the models a few days ago made me realize just how much I like the styling of that army (before they went for the current walking trash-can aestetic of armour with beards and a pair of legs).

The paint scheme is the one I've also used for my fantasy army, and for the one BB model I did paint all those years ago: The Deathroller. I actually bought that one before I ever played the game, just on looks alone. It just exemplifies everything Dwarfs are.

* It's kind of ironic that my army is Dwarfs, and this log so far has four Dwarfs and over two dozen greenskins.
    Last edited by Itsacon; 18-07-2016 at 10:24.

Chaplain

I love the deathroller model, I loved the rules that came with it that represented Dwarf Lawyers finding loopholes to let it be fielded then the organizers lawyers finding rules to take it off the pitch...

Brother Sergeant Rusty Wintertooth's Avatar

There are some absolute gems in your painting log. Lovely stuff!

Another batch of the Dwarf team done: The Blitzers and the first six of the Blockers:

And finishing those meant I had 11 models, so I could field a team last weekend!

While having a Deathroller in your starting lineup isn't the smartest thing to do (It means you're guaranteed to be down to 10 players on the field for at least an entire half), it is fun. One of the games ended with all but 5 enemy players in the `dead and injured' box before the second half... (Ok, they were halflings, but both Treemen were out of the game as well)

On to the Troll Slayers...
    Last edited by Itsacon; 18-07-2016 at 10:16.

Librarian

Wonderfully inspiring. Sadly most of my old collections were lost or given away in various moves when I took a long break. Look forward to seeing more!

Well, I've been quiet, but I've not been idle.

While painting the BB dwarfs made me want to paint my Fantasy dwarfs, the release of AoS pretty much stopped that desire. At the same time the release of the new Dark Angels codex really resonated with me. First of all, I love all the little synergies between units. The fact that you can field Ravenwing and Deathwing-heavy armies without having to use special characters is also a big plus. And last but not least, for the first time in history, the DA codex is actually competitive.

So I drew up an army I really liked, and spend the last three weeks spending all my free time painting till my hands were hurting. Yesterday, my gaming group had an 1850 point tourney, and I had my army finished 5 minutes to 12 on saturday.

Best part? I won the best painted army award!

But that does give me a few models to strike of the list:

Deathwing Interrogator Chaplain.

The combi-melta is a cleaned-up Chaos Terminator arm

Full strength Ravenwing Attack Squadron:

These I had to do twice, because I made the mistake of trying spray varnish for the first time. So they were suddenly white. :cries:

Deathwing Knight Squad:

I assembled them with helmets instead of the cowls, as I think wearing the best personal armour in the universe and then not wearing a helmet is just silly. I also think that the terminator helmet is an absolutely gorgeous piece of design, probably one of the best things Jes Goodwin ever did.

Deathwing Command Squad

The Apothecary is an old metal inquisitor with parts from the plastic DA terminator kit. I felt the robed head was suitably Dark Angel-ish. The plasma cannon is made from a metal assault cannon arm, the plasma cannon from a Van Saar Heavy and a lot of putty.

Deathwing Terminator Squad

Land Raider

I got the idea for the green stripe from an illustration in Imperial Armour 2.

Land Raider Redeemer

Includes some parts from the old (metal) Crusader kit, and the doors are Forgeworld. The sponsons are magnetized, and I have a complete second set of sponsons with the old metal hurricane bolters, so I can easily convert it into a Crusader (once I paint those)

So that's another 27 models done, bringing me very close to that 100 model milestone, and it's only august!
    Last edited by Itsacon; 31-12-2015 at 08:25.

Finally finished the Blood Bowl Slayers:

While I was doing Slayers, I thought I'd also add Grim Ironjaw, and since they don't have shoulder pads, I tattoed on their player numbers :-)

That makes 100 models in 2015 (and hopefully I'll get a few more done, I have another tourney this weekend).

But hey, at least that makes double what I did last year. If I can make that a trend, there's hope!

(But not much, since I've added the Dreadfleet models to the list, and I've been eyeing that Betrayal at Calth game...)

Also, I've switched to off-site hosting for the images, as Warseer's attachment system seems to be broken. I'll try to go back and do the other images as well.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast