Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: If you go down to the woods today...

If you go down to the woods today...

"Athel Loren shall not suffer the presence of Men, nor Orcs, nor Dwarfs, nor Beastmen. If a foe takes a single step upon such sacred soil, they shall not take another." Skarloc, Mist Walker of Athel Loren

... you'd better bring your bandwagon. That's how the rhyme ends right? Let's face it the wood elves have some of THE nicest figures available to WHFB players. The did ten years ago and they do today. I honestly think GW has knocked the recent release out of the park.

I've tried a couple of elf armies over the years, (Asur, Druchii, Dark Eldar in 40k) but I've never quite liked them. I love the models, and the back ground, but painting them has always been too difficult due to the clean lines and bright colours. My recent commission work has seen me improve dramatically as a painter and modeler to the point that although I love my WoC they just aren't up to my current standard. I had started a Bretonnian blog recently but with a lack of new models and a promise to myself that I'd treat each model like a character piece its going to be a long time coming.

My recent commission work has also afforded me the opportunity to play with some of the new plastic elves. This was enough to make me want some. I considered Asur again until I heard the rumours about wood elves. I did some tree demons/ dryads in a recent commission and learnt a lot about basing and priming for forest settings.

So here we are. I love the models, I've enjoyed playing against both High and Dark Elves at recent tournaments and I'd rather like to have something to do in every phase of the game (ie. shooting... not much in WoC). I preordered the Army Book from Element Games (who you should check out if you haven't already) and salarath got me some glade guard early for my birthday (which is coming up). Added to this I have a few waywatchers and wardancers lying around and have preordered one box of venison cav, one box of wildwood rangers and the hobbit eagles to use as Great Eagles.

I was going to wait to make a start on all of this until after I spend the Summer away from home teaching... but a rainy day and little work on meant I made a start. Here, then, is my Glade Captain BSB on Great Stag:

He has been quite labour intensive and I'm very happy with the overall composition. The mane has been resculpted, the head removed and repositioned, a saddle sculpted, the rider converted (from a hellstrider would you believe). The basing required the murder of a tea bag and some Oregano as well has chopsticks and LotR rocks. The head of the rider is a place holder for now. I want to use the head from the High Elf Shadow Warrior champion (if anyone has one spare please let me know!!)

The stag itself is based on a 1972 toy from a set called Britain's Zoo which I got off eBay rather cheaply, it used to look like this:

and was inspired by this chap from Warhammer Palace;

I've got quite a few plans for fluff and army composition, but I'll keep those under my hood for now.

Until next time... watch your back!

A.

Re: If you go down to the woods today...

Looks real good. Big improvement on that stag.

Thanks very much @ModernKiwi. My WIP list is as follows:

Spellweaver, lvl 4 Unicorn, Talisman of Preservation, dispel scroll

Glade Captain, BSB, Great Stag, Hail of Doom Arrow, Helm of the Hunt, Great Weapon, Shield

Spellsinger, lvl 2, Elven Steed, Moonstone

Waystalker

Waystalker

10 Glade Guard, Musician

10 Glade Guard, Musician

15 Glade Guard, Musician, Hagbane tips

5 Glade Riders, Musician, Hagbane tips

5 Sisters of the Thorn, Musician, Standard, lichebone pennant

6 Wild Riders, Full Command, shields, Banner of eternal flame

10 Waywatchers

10 Waywatchers

Great Eagle

Great Eagle

That comes in at 2404 points. I'm looking for 2.4k so I need to drop something and reshuffle. Glade Captain's GW would be easy but I want him to have the high strength. One thought is dropping an eagle and the second Way stalker to pick up some deepwood scouts (nice synergy with the waywatchers) Anyway its all just theory until I can do some proxy hammer.

Think its a solid start though.

I would like to make one of my casters look like the chap in the opening image. I plan on sculpting over a Dark Eldar Mandrake (I also want to use these to make the Glade Riders more interesting I think).

I might start putting together some Glade Guard this afternoon but I need to go pick up some sticks first for basing and might wait until tomorrow when my element games order of new stuff shows up! I also got hold of Archaon's mount which would be a nice starting point for a unicorn, any suggestions on making the horn? I need a dremel tool I think too...

A.

Sounds interesting awaiting further updates!
    My Ogre Marvel Heroes (Upd. Jul.28.15) , My O&Gs(Upd Aug.02.15), My Dwarfs,(Upd 3.26.16) My 40k plog () (Upd 3.26.16) , Paint-off , MichaelJames vs. Localicious
    Minies bought/painted-ratio 2014 - 149/70 .. am I the only one failing that ratio big time ? :P

Update time!

I made myself some plastic waywatchers. 7 so far. I'm now thinking 25 in my list and putting the BSB on an elven steed. I had missed that the great stag wasn't fast cav... I will magnetise the base for the chap in the first post. The stag can count as a steed as he's too cool to canibalise at this point.

Also got some eagles and stag cav in the post!

More updates soon.

A.

Liking the look of the new plastics and what you can do with them.

Wow, really like the conversions! Jumping on the WE bandwagon myself and this is some great inspiration.

Where's the elf head from the BSB come from, it looks great!

Great start mate, great conversion of the toy stag.

-hawke

Great stuff! I love the Waywatcher conversions

Thanks guys! I've managed to assemble all ten of the waywatchers now. They need a bit of GS work and I need to have a play with their bases before they're worth posting (you can understand the conversion and people will get bored of grey plastic I think).

Speaking of grey plastic... hopefully this isn't boring;

I'm building a Glade Captain with Hail of Doom arrow and Helm of the Hunt as a bit of a cheap threat. I was inspired by the new artwork of the Glade Captain in the army book and thought that the Eternal Guard heads were very nicely sculpted and have no plans to run them...

I cut the eternity symbol from the top, making it look more like the HE archer heads ( possibly useful to note for making nicer archers for HE players?) and have added antlers from a 5th edition Bretonnian knight's helm. I'll sculpt some more hair in but I think it's promising. I'm tempted to use cut down EG heads on my GG too.

@ModernKiwi- the plastic kits are amazing. I'm hoping to get enough money together to buy the whole army at once so I have the versatility of swapping between kits as and when I please.
    @pointyteeth- glad to inspire. I saw something interesting on twitter the other day: its not a band wagon if you like the models and want to play with them. They're just new! The hobby should be about the models you like :P that said it is totally a band wagon!
    @Ludaman- the head is from the DE Cold One Knights.
    @G.Hawke- Great to see you in the fantasy forums man. The toy was fun to convert. I like how he's looking but may revisit bits of it and make it smoother. Still undecided on a head for him. I've rebased him onto a cav base today and will be counting the stag as an elven steed. I'll magnetise him to a 50mm so he has the possibility of running on a Great Stag too.
    @Fanny Crowbar- thanks very much, your Asrai piqued my interest long ago and serve as a significant part of my inspiration to pick them up now.

cheers

A.

p.s. what size base are Great eagles on in the WE book? I had thought it was 50mm but my high elf mate runs his on 40mm. So I'm no longer sure.

I heard you had some ways that need watching?

These have provided me with a lot of fun this afternoon. One of the things that judges have told me repeatedly at tournaments is that my basing lets my WoC down. Since WE are a good excuse to pick up twigs and things in the street and embarrass my girlfriend anyway it seemed to good an opportunity to miss. More teabags were sacrificed as a sprinkling of oregano.

I have a bit of resculpting to do, some liquid GS to apply in places and some straps to add before these are ready to prime, but I'm damn proud of them and can't wait to get them a skirmish tray too!

I've actually got 9 metal waywatchers from various editions kicking around so I'll probably base them up to match these for now as I fancy some practice games before splashing another 25 quid on the Wildwood Rangers. I shall have to build my first box of Glade Guard too so that I can justify buying more.

I had an idea about a themed army split between the courts of Orion and Ariel. I could run Orion at 2.4k with Ariel as a counts as level 2 on a warhawk or great eagle (can't remember which is the option)... sisters on one side with GG made from HE sisters... wild riders on the other with mandrakes as glade riders and so on... Bit of a pipe dream and probably something I work towards after filling out a basic tournament build.

Food for thought eh?

A.

I wonder if I'm the first to do this conversion since the models only came out yesterday...

My credit card is really hating you right now. I'm going to have to go buy some this lunchtime...

Great unit! Excellent posing, basing and that head from HE Spearmen is gold!
    My Bretonnians , my AoS stuff, my other stuff, and my terrains

... and my blog: Nerdworkshop

Don't worry be Happy!

@ModernKiwi- do it. Your credit card is evil and should be punished.
    @Grain Weevil- Thanks very much, the head was an impulse bitz order when I was buying the bows for the Waywatchers. I want to get a few more of the various High and Dark Elf heads for the army as I think the worst part about the Glade Guard is the heads. Not crisp enough detail for my tastes.

More work done today in between work emails and editing my better half's disertation... Wild Rider Champion:

I decided to make use of some of the cool Wildwood ranger Glaives since Wild Riders are S4 with spears (5) and Wildwood rangers are S3 with GWs (5)... shouldn't make too many opponents scratch their heads and I think it looks cooler than the spindly little spear he comes with. Also rocking the Shadow Warrior champion head I had earmarked for the BSB. But since the hair is flowing the the wrong direction for the flag... He got to be a unit champ instead. Which is cool because he has facial scarring.

I also think that the worst part of the kit is the fact that the stag's antlers are sprouting from some weird celtic looking triangle. Ok so technically its not a 'stag' per se its a 'steed of Kurnous' so GW can sculpt whatever they want... but it had to go. I couldn't face the poor deer (giggle) looking folorn and anatomically incorrect.
    Fanny Crowbar has, in fact, removed the antlers on the 'steeds of Isha' (sisters mounts) altogether in his thread to make them into does. I will probably steal that as its a great idea and it will further differentiate the units whilst allowing me to keep the colour palette a bit more limited. No baby blue deer for me.

More as soon as its done (and I'm SUPER bored of the teacher training manual I'm reading this week so that could be very soon indeed...)

cheers

A.

Those waywatchers look awesome! I love your basing, it makes the unit look really lively.

Quote Originally Posted by Hadriel Caine View Post
    @ModernKiwi- do it. Your credit card is evil and should be punished.
    Oh it got punished real hard. I pick them up on Thursday and meanwhile can only look and drool at your inspiring works...

Wow, they are nice models. The WR Champ looks like a bit of a redneck Wood Elf, makes sense I suppose. Your basing is spot on, reminds me of one of the old Golden Demon winners that was featured in WD (little help with the name, anyone?)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBigBadWolf View Post
    In the toilets?!

You dirty bugger!!!

If you go down to the woods today...

...you may get your face ripped off by an eagle, or, at least, redirected or march blocked.

So the Hobbit Great Eagles are some of the best models I have ever assembled. Very refreshing after the mould line nightmare of the Wild Riders.

I've only mocked up one base so far, as shown above, detail below:

Again mostly constructed of GS, twigs, Agrellan Earth and liquid GS. There is a slot for a flying stand and I am pondering whether a magnets sunk into the trunk would do the trick. Problem with single point contact with magnets is the mounted miniature tends to rotate. I suppose a square magnet or some thing would work but then that wouldn't fit easily to the bottom of a flying stand. What do you think? I shall ponder some more.

@Nerevarine- Thanks mate, hoping to carry the basing over to movement trays and, ultimately, a display board/ tray.
    @ModerKiwi- Great stuff. Do show pics when they arrive!
    @Cap'n Facebeard- ahoy! Good to see you here. No idea what GD winner you're talking about but I'll gladly take the comparison. The champ does look a bit of a redneck doesn't he. Hmm.

A.

The Wild Rider- the combination of the spindly arm and massive axe is really good. It makes him look like his strength is a little other-worldly, and the odd proportions that creates is unsettlingly non-human. It's great!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast