Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Sigur is turning Japanese - Sengoku Period / Ronin

Sigur is turning Japanese - Sengoku Period / Ronin

This guy shall be my guide into the world of Sengoku period Samurai shenannigans.

Hello, guys. Some of you may remember that I got that funky little rules set Osprey released last summer that caused quite a stir in the wargaming world - Ronin.

No, I have no idea why they chose that for their cover art either. I mean they're Osprey, they got more than enough really cool Samurai art lying around and they put that drab, way too dark and unappealing bit on their rulebook. Oh well, it's the inside that counts, right?

Yup, Ronin. Samurai and stuff. First step, as always: The mandatory leafing through of the rules (unremarkable. No background info what so ever, just the rules. It was very inexpensive though), then it's straight off to buying toys. My gaming nemesis/buddy has large amounts of Perry Ashigaru lying around (because he's got large amounts of everything lying around ;-) ) so I traded some oop GW minis for a bunch of Ashigaru with Yari and bows and ordered a bunch more, mostly samurai and Ashigaru with arquebuses. The Perry minis are excellently nice but come in sixes. Fortunately I was able to split most of the packs with other guys. Ordered a bunch of naginatas as well, six samurai in everyday clothes (because they look so darned good), a bunch of cheapo plastic bamboo and one of those 4Grounds japanese houses for good measure as well. Buying toys is good.

First I built and based the whole group of 23 figures. For my Bushi (= army regulars, basically) warband I don't plan to need more than 10 or so but you know how it is. First, you want to have a lot of options (even though I'll probably end up playing the same list all the time anyway), second you want to have minis for a second warband just in case any of your friends want to give the game a go. Third, many toys are required to be happy. Then I got to put the house together and this is what it looks like after a few hours of work:

I didn't do much to the whole thing really but I did have to redo the white parts and the brown beams running across them because the white wasn't done well at all (so much for 'pre-painted') and around the windows were unsightly laserburn marks. 4G do impressive stuff with MDF/HDF but I really don't care much for anything pre-painted (naturally). MDF buildings are suited for some things and for Japanese buildings the medium is spot on. For stuff like a medieval fortress and many other things it's completely rubbish on the other hand. But for this it works. There are three doors on there, two slidey(one of which comes with a little bit of paper to build into it. Pretty detail) and one swing-y door on the other side. The teddy fur also comes with the set. Really not cheap but it does the job. The roof is removable too as you can see in the picture.

Then I thought it was about time to get started on my models and immediately realized that I had no idea what Samurai or especially Ashigaru should look like. So I spent the rest of that day googling, leafing though Osprey books and so on. The other two guys I'll play with each one got a black-ish warband (led by a lady samurai. Looking forward to seeing that) and a blue-ish warband, both Bushi with big weapons and armour and all that jazz. Blue warband also is of some clan (Tokugawa?) which I was told goes very well with (or rather against) Takeda. Of course it would have been cool to play dudes from "that clan who have the triforce for their coat of arms" but four rectangles I'm okay with too.

To contrast the other two's warbands, and following the background of my guys I went with an overall red scheme. Without much further ado, here are the first WIP Ashigaru:

I have to say that so far, I'm not very happy with the guys because I have no idea what I'm doing. Recently I started questioning the way I paint skin which only adds to my overall confusion. The red I went for is much more wine red than usual simply because I wanted to use the colour for once. I went for some extreme highlighting on the armour parts because ... I'm not sure why. I guess that's what I do when I have no idea what else to do. As you can see the clothes underneath the armour is just the guys' regular clothes to add some individuality. It's a lowest level skirmish game after all. I also have to say that the Ashigaru moulds seem to be a bit worn out already because some detail around the hands and such could be better (and probably used to be). Still, great sculpts. Possibly even a joy to paint some day, once I figured out what the heck I'm doing.

Oh, I also downloaded all the episodes of the probably excellent Samurai Archive podcast, but I'm still in the middle of listening my way through the certainly excellent American Civil War 1861-1865 podcast.

So what do you think so far, Warseerites?

Re: Sigur is turning Japanese - Sengoku Period / Ronin

Sigur your work is awesome. Even if you dont seem to know what you are doing. And there is nothing wrong with the way you paint skin. These guys look great and the extreme highlight suits them. I still wish i was half as good as you are so i dont think you have to doubt your skills in any way. Keep up the good work dude.

Excellent!

I may have to invest in some 4Ground houses, that looks good.

As much as I like the idea of Ronin (Osprey books always get a smile from me), I can't help but feel they ripped off Bushidos combat system.

Wonderful, another historical sigur project

I like the wine red a lot.

Thanks for the podcast by the way. I did not know about them.

Chapter Master Karak Norn Clansman's Avatar

Japan too? This will be extra nice to view having played Shogun II and read the encyclopedia. Nice start!

Brother Sergeant

The models are very well painted, better than what I am working on. The armour looks like red NMM. Was that the intention?

Primark of the Deaf Gourd duffybear1988's Avatar

Dude, thanks for putting up some shots of the building. I've been telling myself I don't need any for a while now and I've caved in this afternoon and will be off to buy some later.

As for the pic on the cover of the rules - I quite like it. It's drab and grimy and probably a more accurate representation of Sengoku period Japan.

I've been working on my own Ikko Ikki warband for a while but they are nowhere near as nice as yours. I made the mistake of buying the Osprey figures and the casts aren't great.

Very nice job on the ashigaru. How do you plan to paint the banner? Are you going to put a mon (clan crest) on there or maybe a slogan?

Brother Sergeant

the guys with the triforce are Hojo I believe.

If you dont want to draw them yourself this place does decent transfers

http://www.3vwargames.co.uk/upshop/shop/asian15mm.html

Once you have acouple of Buntais painted up I would like to hear your assessment of how the game plays.*

* I have the rulebook and read it, just never played it.
    Quote Originally Posted by cornonthecob View Post
    As much as I like the idea of Ronin (Osprey books always get a smile from me), I can't help but feel they ripped off Bushidos combat system.
    Maybe the quote "good artists borrow, great artists steal" applies to rules writing as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Salty
    What the Modsticker said.

@Breazer: Aw, thank you buddy.

@mrtn: Thanks, hope I can deliver with interesting stuff!

@Stygian Beach: Yeah, they aren't cheap but for Japanese stuff they're really well suited.

@cornonthecob: Is it a good combat system? I haven't had a game of either so far.

@kublai: You're welcome. I guess it's really comprehensive and an all around useful podcast. Judging from my research on the interwebs and how often I ran across references to their forums and stuff these people do take their Samurai stuff seriously.

@Karak Norn Clansman: Cheers. ShogunII actually was the only Total War game I played a lot (even though the series is just right up my alley. give me a game with a strategic level and going down to tactical level for battles and I'm a happy man. ).

@carlos13th: Well, not quite. I wasn't sure how to do the armour so I went for very stark highlights to simulate the sheen on the slightly glossily lacquered armour parts. Maybe I'll "flatten" the armour again or keep it like that. Not quite sure as of now. Thanks for the link to the transfers. I think I'll manage with freehanded symbols in this case.

@duffybear1988: Thanks for the comment! Yeah, the picture is maybe more "realistic" but I still think it would work better inside of the book rather than as the cover. I think that even one of the miniature photos from the inside would have worked better for me. Just more colourful, more friendly and higher contrast. I considered going Ikko Ikki myself before all these ashigaru came in my possession and we all decided that we'd just go Bushi and each one's going for one of the clans. You mean the figures by North Star not being very good casts? Shame about that, the sculpts looked rather good (secretly I'm a bit happy of course because I wasn't 100% sure if Perrys were the way to go). If that's any help to you - the Perry miniatures from that range I'm using are amongst their oldest I think. The moulds must be pretty worn out by this point because the casts are a little rough in places as well. (especially hands and fingers). As for the banner - I think I'll see that I can go with a big mon and maybe some other thing as well, just to break up the monotony.

I built two small bamboo groves as terrain/for presentation of far eastern stuff in general.

Not pictured with any of my Japanese minis because I put them away so I don't get tempted to work on them while I should paint Necromunda, Dystopian Wars and Space Marines stuff and couldn't find them at the moment.

Hope you like the terrain!

Great looking painting Sigur as usual. I look forward to seeing more.

I agree on the cover art. Its a strange choice, but I think they were trying for more of a "gang war" feel. Where as most of their related art is "samurai armies" themed.

Given this, I still think they missed the point as it looks like concept art for a "Lone wolf and cub" movie.

looking great sigur! I am glad that you have decided to paint Samurai. I am sure you will do them justice!

btw how did you make those bamboos? I would love to do something similar
    "Cursed be he who moves my body. To him shall come fire, water and pestilence." Tomb Inscription of Senuknet the Eternal
    My Necrons:http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=322236
    My High Elves:http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=108870
    My Napoleonics: http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=295917

Chapter Master Karak Norn Clansman's Avatar

Nice thickets. Those dirt cheap Chinese modelling bamboos are real useful, eh? So useful I bought a pack instantly upon discovery even though they probably won't see use for months or years.

Sigur, Bushido's combat mechanic is.... interesting. It feels suitable for a skirmish game but would be awful for bigger games since it feels more like the actions of an individual (with the player choosing how many dice they use for attack and defense).

Primark of the Deaf Gourd duffybear1988's Avatar

Yes they were the North Star figures. Some of them (like the warrior monks and the bandits) are fine, but others required a lot of cleaning and re-sculpting to fix them up to the standard I like.

@Steam_Giant: Yeah, I guess so. It almost seems like that for their wargaming books they always choose those rather drab pieces of artwork, possibly thinking they'd appeal to the grimdark-embossed juves?

@Meraklis: Thanks muchly. I'm using "dirt cheap chinese modelling bamboos". I used these off amazon:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Approx-100Pc...s=bamboo+train
    100pieces, 50% of which are all just soft plastic and therefore to be handled with care, the longer ones have wire in the shaft which makes them way more useful.
    Only thing you have to do is remove the mould lines running along the shafts and maybe cut off the leafs here and there for some irregularity. Otherwise they're really easy to work with. I didn't even wash them in soapy water or anything, just remove mould lines, prime, paint, done. On the above terrain pieces I didn't even use half of the bag. There's another set of those on amazon.co.uk, all of the same scale and all with the wire core. Those I'm sure are easier to work with and a little more sturdy but all are the same size. But I think that they'd go together well with the different-scale bag.

@Karak Norn Clansman: Yeah, same here. Got them right away even though there was a bit of shipping charge added to have them delivered here and I basically got right to it when they arrived because I knew I wouldn't get anything done with them for years if I don't start NOW.

@cornonthecob: Oh right, that DOES sound a bit like Ronin then.

@duffybear1988: Hmm, secretly I'm almost a bit happy about that. The North Star figures look great in the pictures and all so at times I thought I may have gone with the "wrong" choice.

Hey, people. I managed to finish the first few Ashigaru for my warband:

Hope you like them. That colour scheme turned out WAY more clean-cut and uniform than I had imagined. I'll see what I can add until next week (which is the big wargaming weekend. ACW and warband-y samurai things). At least one Samurai would be nice to have.

Hope you're having a splendid weekend!

Juves hehehe

Quote Originally Posted by sigur View Post
    Hope you like them. That colour scheme turned out WAY more clean-cut and uniform than I had imagined. I'll see what I can add until next week (which is the big wargaming weekend. ACW and warband-y samurai things). At least one Samurai would be nice to have.
    Are they all Perry's? I like the uniform look of them, and I especially like the archers green patterned trousers and sleeves (which were hidden by a spear in the first picture).

All very inspiring an motivating me to paint more.

cheers

@Steam_Giant: Cheers. Yeah, they're all Perry minis and they're quite remarkable. They look really uniform if you want to or rather diverse, depending on how you paint them. The models themselves are somewhat similarly-ish but have some small differences in terms of faces, armour, outfits, equipment and so on. Good stuff.

Ha, half five in the morning update. We didn't have one of those in a while, did we? (well, certainly not in this thread but in general)

It's really nothing special but at least I basecoated two Samurai, one with Katana and one with Naginata. Going for individuality there.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast