Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Arhurt's conversion corner: Necrons, Chaos and the occasional Infinity model...

Arhurt's conversion corner: Necrons, Chaos and the occasional Infinity model...

Hey guys!

You may remember me from some years back from Necron Army on a budget (and unique conversions)

Well, as it turns out I was short on cash and had to sell my Necrons =( boo I know, I wish I'd kept them, but I really needed the cash at the time. Good news is the new codex came out and there are TONS of possible conversions now on top of a lot more kits available.

I'm now rebuilding them on a (larger) budget. It's not more a budget really, but Making the most out of the box contents. Necrons having their alien weird tech are prone to very unique conversions so I'm creatively taking out the most bang for my buck from each spre.

Let's check it out!

It all starts with a plan... "How many things can I squeeze out of this kit?"

After much planning I decided that I could squeeze quite a lot from the basic necron kits. Here was the plan at the time:

• 2 Necron Battleforces - 2 Ghost Arks, 2 Doomsday Ark, Warriors, Immortals and Scarabs.
    • 1 Command Barge - 1 Overlord, 1 Command Barge, 1 Annihilation Barge, 2 Tomb Blades (with pieces from arks)
    • 1 box of Lychguard - Crypteks, Lords and Overlords galore.

And so I started my evil plan. I also got a bargain off e-bay on a Monolth, several old metal wraiths and an old Battle Force, so I got enough stuff to take over the world!
    Arhurt
    My current necron army:
    Necrons on a budget!
    Blog Wargaming Rebel

My previous necron army:
    here are the unique conversions for it.

Re: Necron Army on a (larger) Budget with unique conversions

Start working!

I found out that roll-on deodorant packaging has a lot of useful parts for my necrons!

When I finally got the kits I went through my process of cutting out pieces and trying out how they could work in practice. Here are the results:

Raid Gate (counts as Ghost Ark)

The concept mis that my Necrons don't bother with a silly ghost ark doing field repairs... they just open up a portal to their main base and bring in more endless legions of warriors! It's easier to phase them out and repair them at base and bring them back than it is to do field repairs: Constant flow of warriors!!!

I'm using the ball from a roll-on deodorant package alongside a resin cast from a Night Scythe portal.

I like the idea that there is no pilot, the Raid Portal is remote controlled, but the guns are still manned by warriors. Here is how my gunner turned out by using the repair bays (since I'll have no use for them right now).

And here are my plans. I'll use the shape of the Necron Lychguard swords and make them in plasticard to make the Raid Platforms. Just imagine an endless stream of warriors walking out the portal and into the field on this thing!

Here is the layout I'm going to go with:

Last edited by Arhurt; 12-05-2014 at 05:08.
    Arhurt
    My current necron army:
    Necrons on a budget!
    Blog Wargaming Rebel

My previous necron army:

Canoptek Tentilla

So with everything I didn't use on my Ghost Ark (namely the big cannon and the ribcages) I planned to make a giand tentacle that holds the gun at the end. The concept is that my Necrons use and underground base that streches these tentacles under the battlefield. Here follows the construction:

Using insta-mould I copied a piece of the Ghost Ark to make the back of the tentacle:

The first casts had a lot of bubbles, so I started pressing the epoxy with a tool isntead of my fingers, that really improved cast quality.

The main body is made from a Vacuum cleaner tube I had laying around. There is enough to make a horde of the things!

Arhurt
    My current necron army:
    Necrons on a budget!
    Blog Wargaming Rebel

My previous necron army:

I didn't like the way the roll-on deodorant top was looking... my girlfriend asked me "what's that which looks like a penis over there?" so I decided to upgrade its shape with plasticard:

The result so far:

Arhurt
    My current necron army:
    Necrons on a budget!
    Blog Wargaming Rebel

My previous necron army:

Canoptek Spyder

Instead of making the tomb blades I decided to go with a new concept for a Tomb Spyder:

It's gonna be bursting out of the ground similar to the Tentacle thing, I just need to buy the correct size of tubing for it.

Harbringer of Eternity

Harbringer of Destruction

Warriors

Out of every 10 warriors, I always convert 3 of them, so by the end I'll have a nice unique looking army with a mix of regular and more dynamic poses around:

Arhurt
    My current necron army:
    Necrons on a budget!
    Blog Wargaming Rebel

My previous necron army:

Here is all I got so far out of half a battleforce, bits and some scrathbuilding:

Arhurt
    My current necron army:
    Necrons on a budget!
    Blog Wargaming Rebel

My previous necron army:

This is some really creative stuff i am looking forward to seeing more and for a lick of paint. Now you have set the bar high with your conversion work just got to match it with your painting skills

Chapter Master Inquisitor Engel's Avatar

I'm digging the vibe this stuff gives off of being truly alien. It has the same sort of "oh crap this is advanced" feel as some of the old Epic: Armageddon rules they had for Necrons. Well done.

Amazing use of all of the parts from the kits, it takes true skill to get that amount if mileage!

I'll be following closely, can't wait to see more!

This is by far one of the mest awesome necron armies I've seen. No, i take that back. This IS the most awesome necron army I've seen and one of the best converted armies I have ever seen of all the races. I LOVE the thing bursting from the ground. I hope you dont mind if I copy some designs and make my own stuff quite similar.
    War in the Chalcitis Insulam System
    A Campaign log

The Chalcitis Insulam System
    The non-Campaign log of everything else

I very much like what you're doing here so...5 stars from me to get you going faster!

Very interesting start, I like the direction things are going. The Necron sand wyrm type thing is very inventive, don't know why nobody has thought of it before!

damn, love this army so far - iv had a lot of fun converting necron stuff from spare parts myself, I agree the kits are just so good to convert from. Look forward to seeing some of this stuff painted.
    My Extra-Dimensional SF wargame inspired by Olaf Staledon, Stephen Baxter, Alastair Reynolds, Robert L Forward ect : http://outsidetheuniverseitself.blogspot.com/

Genius.

That Canopek Tentillia remindes me of the worm thing from Dune!

Arhurt,

I read your first post about a necron army on a budget and followed your signature to this thread. I really hope this isn't a forgotten thread. I have thoroughly enjoyed reading and watching these armies get built. You have an amazing eye for creative conversions and as a new player myself, you have given me the motivation to attempt my own conversions from scratch and using parts.

I have the newest codex for Necrons and am working my way through it. I'm waiting on a package of warriors I recently purchased off a buy/sell/trade site.

I hope to see more from you and your army on a budget, otherwise I will wander around these forums and introduce myself.

-N

Quote Originally Posted by Nytfalz View Post
    Arhurt,
    I hope to see more from you and your army on a budget, otherwise I will wander around these forums and introduce myself.
    -N
    Thanks man, that's really motivating!

I'm still kicking around, but real life tends to get a hold of me and drag me away from the hobby. Last year I moved in with my GF and we spent a couple months in an apartment where I didn't have the space for my work table. I'm already set-up on our new apartment, and you may have just stirred me back into action.

Regardless of that, I encourage you to introduce yourself and start posting! It's the best thing you do and everyone here will be thrilled to see what you come up with!
    Arhurt
    My current necron army:
    Necrons on a budget!
    Blog Wargaming Rebel

My previous necron army:

Where did you get those bases from? Your necron infantry look great on them and wouldn't mind purchasing some myself!

Top work, subbed 5 stars.
    Hive Fleet Carnivora My Tyranid Blog: http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=307691

Hi!

The bases are from Dragon Forge. Namely their lost empire set: http://www.dragonforge.com/Painting%...s%20Series.htm

I have been busy for a long time with other ordeals, but have finally gotten the workshop set up again.

Here are some test models to get my color scheme right.

Above is my Necron Destruction Criptek with his eldritch Lance.

O hope I can translate that color scheme well. I have never really painted vehicles before and I'm a newbie to airbrushing in general. Hope it goes well!

Sent from my LGUS991 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Arhurt; 11-05-2016 at 14:54.
    Arhurt
    My current necron army:
    Necrons on a budget!
    Blog Wargaming Rebel

My previous necron army:

Chapter Master Inquisitor Engel's Avatar

Good to see this thread rise from the dust! So ... Appropriate.

I've been slowly getting some basic necron warriors done. Here is where I stand at:

5x finished Necron Warriors

Especially happy with this guy's pose. Painting is not my strength but these guys will look good on the table.

1x Finished Cryptek of Destruction

I love the old crazy Cryptek choices we had on the previous Codex and I'm still modelling one Crypted of every "school" from it. This guy is a Cryptek of Destruction with and Eldritch Lance weapon that they used to have as an option.

15x WiP Warriors

Each on a different stage of production, here is the fresh batch themed "holding Gauss Flayers with one hand"

The one running guy had to be extensively pinned and modified. I still have to go around reinforcing/remodelling every joint with Greenstuff but I ran out of time last night.

I also prepared this 19 years old bad boy for painting.

I won't do any alterations on my lords as I have one of each generation and want my lords to serve as a testament to the evolution of the army and the hobby as a whole.

Finally, I have prepped the Canoptek Tentilla (Doomsday Ark counts-as) with some base colors. I plan to start airbrushing OSL effects on it as a next step but I'm having problems with using the airbrush properly. I need to get better and consistent thinning of my paint, but getting good acrylic medium and at an affordable price down here in Brazil is making things a bit complicated and delayed.

All in all I've also made some small progress in my Invasion Barges (Ghost Ark) and I'm now working on a conversion theme for my Tomb Blades, more of that to come later! Thanks for looking!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160511_001625.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	229.0 KB 
ID:	227561  
    Arhurt
    My current necron army:
    Necrons on a budget!
    Blog Wargaming Rebel

My previous necron army:

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast