Thread: Rusty - Budget quest challenge

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Brother Sergeant Rusty Wintertooth's Avatar

Rusty - Budget quest challenge

Warhammer quest on a budget

- Quick about me -

Seems like an old story around here of people starting up Quest after a hiatus...

I remember Warhammer quest fondly from childhood, it was one of the games our circle of friends enjoyed above most. The RPG elements of the game really spoke to our intrepid bunch of 13yr old fledgling dungeon master / explorers.

I've recently been in awe of the work done by Kingdom Death and it's brought home my desire to rekindle my old love for a dungeon adventure. I bought the Quest iPhone game, in hopes it would satiate me, but it left me wanting, it wasn't simply the levelling up of characters, battling trolls & orcs in search of elusive treasure... It was the narrative and comradeship, which just isn't present in electronic games for me.

Our single decade old copy of quest had been sadly destroyed due to improper storage, if only as a teenager I could have understood the need for airtight sealed boxes!! So I checked eBay... The game alone costing £100+ without any other miniatures for monsters or adventurers.

So I have set myself a challenge. To collect and paint the models needed for a faithful recreation of the original game. I have set a (arbitrary?) budget of £150, as I feel this is a reasonable amount to invest on my once loved game.

- Challenge requirements -

These may prove impossible, but it seems reasonable to try and stick to these premises:

• £150 budget - beg, borrow or steal.

• 8 adventurers minimum. Original models are not required, but a faithful replacement is. No 'dwarf miner' counts as 'troll slayer' shenanigans will be tolerated. They will also need their rules, cards, counters and equipment.

• Replacement monsters wherever possible. The dream is for an all metal miniature collection, but some plastics may be necessary

• All cards, tokens, rules and board pieces are required. Currently this does not apply to expansions

• No full resin mock up dungeon, as beautiful as they are. This recreation is designed to be a reasonable budget.

• All favours, donations and sneaky purchases will be documented. Omission is considered sneaky ball-baggery and not in keeping with the spirit of things.

• A running total will be kept and some creativity with trading on eBay / forums may be necessary. However I will not be using means inaccessible to anyone else. Total will be rounded and include all costs inc. P&P. Anything more is beardy

• Models I own (which are few for quest) can submitted to the cause as I am under the impression most other gamers will likely have access to some dual purpose models in their collection. Be they minotaurs, orcs, elves or goblins.

This may be a stretch, but I think it will be fun to undertake regardless.

Bought to date:

Boxless quest game £40 - missing hero models and rulebooks.
    Rulebook £5
    Warrior priest model (bought 4, sold 3) total £2.25
    1 sheet of plasticard £1.25

Running total - £48.50

And thanks to those who have helped with finding resources / models etc.

Daemonslave
    Talion
    Eboli
    Local gaming club

Rusty
    Last edited by Rusty Wintertooth; 25-01-2015 at 19:28. Reason: Added contributors