Thread: The Enchanted Forest modular

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

The Enchanted Forest modular

This is a little project of mine, in which I'm trying to create a modular forest for the purposes of WHQ (or really modified Hero Quest for a group of friends that don't have much experience with games of the sort). The Enchanted Forest follows WHQ in what comes to tiles. Each road (tunnel) tile is made of 15x15 cm board and each opening (room) tile of a 20x20 cm board (or 20x20 + 20x20 in some cases).

The idea is that the group often has to travel through an enchanted forest, maybe Athel Loren, to get to various dungeons. The journey through the forest is an adventure of its own. Sometimes, there is a pre-made map of what the forest is like. Sometimes tiles will be drawn at random. There are planned or random events connected with each tile, like meeting a traveling merchant, getting ambushed by bandits, stumbling into an abandoned, haunted graveyard, facing a river troll while crossing a bridge and so on. I'll detail these rules later in the thread if I manage to get the project physically forward first.

Here you can see an example of a road tile (road goes straight) I've been working with. I'm using 0,5 cm foam board over hardboard. Rocks and additional height differences are made using 2 cm or thicker styrofoam. I've also got two Citadel Woods to cover the trees themselves.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ready1.jpg 
Views:	316 
Size:	487.2 KB 
ID:	193523Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ready3.jpg 
Views:	291 
Size:	106.3 KB 
ID:	193524Click image for larger version. 

Name:	detail1.jpg 
Views:	269 
Size:	462.0 KB 
ID:	193525

The initial setup will be 3 straight road tiles, one turning road, one forking road and one road where path ends. For clearing (room) tiles I will make the beginning/end of a forest, graveyard, and a hill made of two 20x20 pieces. This is what I'm starting with. If the project kicks off well, I might be adding things like elven waystone, ruins, roadside inn, more road tiles and so on.

Some in-production pictures of the first road tile:

Name:	process1.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	379.3 KB 
ID:	193526Click image for larger version. 

Name:	detail2.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	354.0 KB 
ID:	193527Click image for larger version. 

Name:	process2.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	425.1 KB 
ID:	193528

Name:	process3.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	448.1 KB 
ID:	193529

Initial drybrush for the rocks

Name:	process4.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	460.1 KB 
ID:	193530

Muddy ground waiting to be flocked

Name:	process5.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	445.6 KB 
ID:	193531

Joining up with an unfinished turning road tile

I'm novice in making terrain so this whole project is mainly practice work for me. I'm pretty satisfied with how the rocks turned out, but the flocking needs some work... As this is "an enchanted forest", it doesn't necessarily need to look too realistic, but I'm still not quite happy with how it is. I'm also thinking whether I should fill the gaps of the road with sand. Now the idea was that the trail is rather elusive and filled with growth.

Questions and comments are very welcome!
    Last edited by Nychthemeron; 19-05-2014 at 10:18.