Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The Games: Blood and Spectacle- Gladiators in 28mm

The Games: Blood and Spectacle- Gladiators in 28mm

Greetings,

I have been a long time enthusiast of Sword and Sandal/Peplum flicks, and Gladiator movies in particular. There is nothing quite like watching a mid-60's flick of oily, sweaty beefcake Italians westling around in short shorts to get the heart stirred... or maybe that's just me. In addition, I have done some research into the real world of Gladiators. I am also an avid wargamer and really like 28mm skirmish rules. These two loves seemed to logically combine into a desire, nay NEED; to start a Gladiator Ludus or two of my own.

I'm not entirely new to the Gladiator wargaming scene. I have dabbled in the past with Familia Gladiatoria, Mino Sin Missio (sp), and a few others. However, for this project I am going to be using The Games: Blood and Spectacle as my base rule set. These rules can be found here: http://www.wargamevault.com/product/...and-Spectacles

I like these rules as they balance some tactical play with a campaign system, and they have a lot of different Gladiator fight types and not just straight up Mano-a-mano clashes. Plus, I wrote them myself so that limits rule disputes. However, Gladiators don't rely on a single ruleset to work. A murmillo is a murmillo no matter what ruleset you are using! The other great thing is that you don't need a ton of Gladiator models for a good night of gaming. A handful will suffice.

Now, onto the Gladiators. For this project I decided to use some of Crusader's beautiful 28mm models. I ordered from their US Distributor Age of Glory. Here is what I started with....

You can see a nice big piece of MDF that use to be a Cake board, a few Roman Pillars for cake decorating, a box of washers for bases and some miniatures. So far I have recieved:

1. Gladiator Characters- really I only wanted the Gladiator with the two-handed axe, but the others might be useful too.
    2. Equites- This pack has them mounted and dismounted. Cool since Equites typically both dismounted when one ro the other was dismounted.
    3. Thraeces and Hoplomachi- Curved Sword and Spear armed type respectively.
    4. Secutores and Scissori- The Secutor is the traditional for of the Retarious (Net and Trident) and the Scissori is also known as a Arbelas. They have a stranged curved blade arm thing.
    5. Retarius and Laquerius- Net and Trident and Spear and Lasso armed light gladiator types.

Here is a closer look at the two groups I plan on working on first, the Secutors and Retarius packs. You can also see the Arbelas and Laquerius in this picture. Since Secutors and Retarius are a "classic" gladiator match up they seem like painting up one of each is a good start.

Here are these guys to scale with the arena I plan on using.

Obviously this is just the beginning stages of the project. Much will need to be done, but here is the start.
    Last edited by Easy E; 26-04-2017 at 20:15.
    Do you like free wargames?
    http://bloodandspectacles.blogspot.com/

Re: The Games: Blood and Spectacle- Gladiators in 28mm

Looks great.

I'll buy a ticket for the Games!

Chapter Master Whitwort Stormbringer's Avatar

Nice! Glad to see someone else working on gladiators. Mine were set aside for a while, but I should get back to them. I still have about 10 to paint, and another handful that I'd like to add to my collection...
    The great thing about the dwarves is that, even though there's this comic element, when they fight - they really fight!

My infrequently updated nerd blog.

Looking nice so far! I've heard of Crusader's gladiators being really neat minis, Looking forward to what you're doing with them. And of course the thing about gladiators not having to rely on one and only one ruleset - it's the magic of historical wargaming, I guess. Of course gladiators have become a topic around here as well and I'll definately have a look at your set of rules!

I just received my blister of Velites and Provacatuers and Dimachareus. I haven't even had time to take pictures yet. So, I ripped one off the internet instead....

Oddly enough, they sent me a blister labelled Murmillos but it was full of Hoplomachii and Thraex. A quick Email to Age of Glory and they are getting it sorted out. I felt bad for Age of Glory because it was clear that Crusader mislabelled the blister from the start and I don't expect the packing guy to have an intimate knowledge of Gladiator types when fulfilling an order.

I was looking at my calendar and realized these guys would probably get painted faster if I boxed them up, mailed them to Austria, and had Sigur paint them than if I tried to do it myself. Plus, they would look 100x better than I will do.

Looks interesting, will definitely follow this.

I just got my final box of Murmillos from Age of Glory. Again, I haven't had time to take any new pictures, so here is an image ripped from the internet....

Hopefully I can now spend some time painting this weekend. I'm hoping to paint up a Retarius and Secutor for a demo game to show you guys.

However, I'm not done buying stuff yet. Next I think I will need two Gladiator Chariots and a few animals. For the Chariots I am thinking Old Glory Gladiator Wars line. However, I am unsure about Old Glory since they are very hit-and-miss with their sculpts. Has anyone seen them in the metal before?

I got some time to base a few more guys and clean up the flash. This is probably about 70% of the Gladiator models that I have.

This Dimachaerus is a good example of the detail these Crusader models have. I'm pretty sure my meager painting skills will not do them justice.

Just use washes and you'll be fine

The Dimachaerus is a great model. Looking forward to seeing him in action.

+1 for washes

Those chariots look mighty cool. The horses maybe are a little iffy (they look somewhat prehistoric) and I can't see the second one's rider right but they look perfectly servicable.

I got my Chariots in the mail. Now I just need to slap them together and snap a picture. That should only take me a month or two!

Here is my first Arbelas Gladiator that I finally painted. I plan on basing all my Gladiators and the Arena in some play sand. I also learned that almost all of my paints have dried out.

Anyway, on to the Gladiator....

Looking good so far

Have you tried the Spartacus game? It's a LOT of fun, but you really need 4 or more people to play.

http://spartacusboardgame.com/
    ToFP PLOG http://www.warseer.com/forums/showth...37#post7281537

Quote Originally Posted by Darnok View Post
    I... umm... will ban you!
    No wonder that you thought 2nd ed 40K sucked. You weren't even playing it.

I have not played the board game, but I have heard good things. My local bookshop had it, and I considered it. However, I typically can't get 4-6 players and I couldn;t justify the cost. Plus, my family prefers to play co-operative board games instead.

I got painting time early this year! I painted a few more Gladiators.

Bad picture, but you get the idea. When I base the arena in sand I plan on basing all my Gladiators as well. From left to right....

Gaulus- Heavy armor, big axe, similar to a Murmillo without the sword and scutum. The term Gaulus may refer to a Gladiator from Gaul and not an actual distincitve style of arena fighter.

Retarius- Trident and net, a Hollywood favorite, as well as a Roman favorite.

Hoplomacchus- Spear, small shield, and dagger to possibly represent a greek Phalangite. Not very popular in the Eastern half of the Empire.

Velite- Javelins, dagger. A very light skirmishing Gladiator typically used in Venatorii.... beast hunts.

Laquerious- Similar to a Retarius only wielding a spear and lasso. Often fought against Arbelas and Secutores.

Dimachaereus- A dual sword wielding type. There is some dispute if this a real historical style or just a reference to Gladiators who were ambi-dexterous. However, there is a single relief carving that seems to indicate a Gladiator wielding two weapons, a sword and some sort of curved dagger. This is also the style of Spartacus in his role as the Bringer of Rain from Blood and Sand.

Hey guys, I need your help. I have some basic army painter paints, but I want to be able to paint a few of my Gladiators as Numidians and North Africans. Any suggestions on how to go about getting the right flesh tone?

Okay, I took a shot at some Numidians and Nubians. Thanks for the suggestion on color palette mrtn. It got me mixing int he proper direction. Not the best pics as they needed a flash as it was winter and the middle of the night.

The guy on the left with the trident was clearly intended to be of North African/African decent. The other two I just decided to paint that way. They are a Secutor and a Murmillo. However, I haven't painted the shields for them yet.

We who are painted salute you!

From left to right....

Samnite- This one came packaged as a Murmillo, however I tend to think of him as a Samnite. Why? Murmillos have two greaves and a Manica where this model clearly has no Manica and only a single greave. Therefore, he is armed more like a Samnite style. This type fell out of favor and many believe evolved into the Secutore with the rise in popularity of the Retarius and integration of the Samnites into the Roman Republic.

Thraex- The famous adversary of the Murmillo type armed with the curved sword of Thrace and a small, buckler style shield. Many believe that Spartacus may have been this type of Gladiator as he is often referred to as a Thracian. However, it could be he actually hailed from Thrace.

Provacatuer- The only type of Gladiator to wear a breastplate. Typically, they only fought other Provocatuers. Some believe this was to represent the Roman on Roman combat of the Civil Wars.

Secutore- The famous rival of the Retarius. The helmet is designed without a crest to help avoid getting tangled in the Retarius' net. The Secutore represented endurance and strength while the Retarius represented speed and finesse.

No shields or basing yet, as I am saving those for late.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast