Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Still's Heresy Log

Re: Still's Heresy Log

This evening I played a 1500pt game of 40k, using my 30k Thousand Sons. Rather than the Horus Heresy list I ran using Codex Chaos Space Marines, and fought against a Codex Blood Angels army. Army lists were roughly as follows.

Arhiman (Warlord) (used Telepathy)
    Be'Lakor
    10 Thousand Sons (Sorcerer with Psychic Shriek & Force Staff)
    10 Thousand Sons (Sorcerer w/ Shrouding & Force Staff)
    Knight Errant

Commander Dante
    Sanguinary Priest w/ Jump Pack and an AP2 sword that strikes at Initiative
    5 bikes (Dante and Priest with these)
    10 Marines w/ Flamer, Combi-Flamer, Heavy Flamer in Drop Pod
    Some Sternguard w/ 2 Melta, 2 Combi-Melta in Drop Pod
    5 Scouts w/ Snipers, Missile Launcher
    2 Storm Ravens

We rolled up missions and ended up with the Kill Points mission (Purge the Alien?). I expected to be rolled over as I was running such a "bad" army.

He won the roll to go first and deployed bikes&characters on (as I saw it) the left flank. I deployed the entire army in my far right flank, protecting my Knight as well as I could from drop pods (forgetting that my units cannot deploy within 12" of each other). He stick the scouts on my left flank. Turn 1 and 2 he drops in the Drop Pods, netting me 4 Kill Points as I just Psychic Shriek them away, and the Knight 1 shots the Pods. I continue to bunk up until he reaches me with the Bikes and Flyers on turn 3/4. Turn 4 he takes a gamble and hovers 1 of the Storm Ravens right by my Thousand Sons in order to kill my Knight, which he does, but I charge it and kill with Force Staffs and Krak Grenades. At the end of the game Be'Lakor and the bike unit are locked in combat, with Be'Lakor on 1 wound and Dante on 1 wound.

I won First Blood, he won Line Breaker. 6 KP to Chaos, 2 KP to Blood Angels. I forgot that Be'Lakor was a Loremaster and had all of the deck, so did not cast Invisibility on himself all game!

All in all a great game!

In other news, I need to stop being lazy and photography my progress!
    Still's Heresy Log - Thousand Sons; new and improved following MKA Masterclass course.

Follow me @The1000thSon.

After quite a long hiatus due to real life and my Chaos Dwarves I have attended a MKA Studios painting course. For the foreseeable future I will be painting my Thousand Sons again! This is the Rhino I painted whilst on the course. What do you guys think?

Before I painted this I had never weathered a model, I'd never fully painted a vehicle (the closest I've come is the Sicaran in this thread) and I'd only used an airbrush for basecoating. If anybody else is interested in the course I attended to paint this model over 2 days, you can find information and tickets at elementgames.co.uk
    Still's Heresy Log - Thousand Sons; new and improved following MKA Masterclass course.

Follow me @The1000thSon.

Chapter Master

Cracking rhino! Ooc how much was the course?

The course was 100, and was more than worth it. If you see my Sicaran on page 2, I went from that to this in about 20 hours of tuition.

Follow me @The1000thSon.

wow wow wow wow.

Amazing stuff, just loads of it, good luck getting everything done.

That is such a beautiful rhino, the reds are amazing. I know Andy was very proud to show that model off; well done! It seems the course was well worth it!
    My website contains contact details and my Slayer Sword :skull:
    http://www.richardgraycreations.com/
    Commissions are available, but I am quite heavily booked.

Chapter Master

Did the fees include the rhino? Either way 100 quid for 20 hours tuition is very good and your rhino amazing are your techniques transferable to the infantry now too?

No, you supply all of your own equipment and supplies, but I cannot recommend it enough, despite that. Many of the techniques are transferable to infantry, but there is a specific infantry course coming up in October.

Follow me @The1000thSon.

Last night I started my second "new" vehicle, a Sicaran Venator.

What do you think?

Follow me @The1000thSon.

They both look awesome! I especially like the inscription on the front of the Rhino. Really like the red tones you've got on both the Rhino and the Sicaran.

More work on the Venator. Probably about 5 or 6 hours in now.

I'm quite happy so far. However, I have developed a hate for Sicaran tracks.

Follow me @The1000thSon.

Wait til you build a spartan, the tracks on it are a special kind of hell.

The improvement in the tank painting after your course is night and day mate, really really impressive work. I look forward to more, and seeing you apply the new techniques to your infantry.
    Sheep's laying a log For all things Imperial
    The Ammobunker Forums with humour
    Sheep's Sons of Horus For all things 30k
    Sheep does Adeptus Mechanicus Latest project

Forlorn Hope, my blog

Quote Originally Posted by naryn View Post
    They both look awesome! I especially like the inscription on the front of the Rhino. Really like the red tones you've got on both the Rhino and the Sicaran.
    The inscription on the Rhino is from the Skitarii transfer sheet. I just cut the Mechanicum logo off and used it as is. Thank you for the encouragement!

Quote Originally Posted by sheep View Post
    Wait til you build a spartan, the tracks on it are a special kind of hell.

The improvement in the tank painting after your course is night and day mate, really really impressive work. I look forward to more, and seeing you apply the new techniques to your infantry.
    Thank you. I have a Typhon built, so I know the pain of that chassis. That tank is the reason I have no Spartans yet. I will probably hold off painting my infantry until I attend the MKA Infantry course. Which is in October, if anybody is interested.

Follow me @The1000thSon.

Not as much progress as I'd like tonight. We're slowly getting there though. I am looking forward to starting the weathering soon.

Follow me @The1000thSon.

Great work on the vehicles; the new Sicarian in particular looks excellent in Thousand Sons colours.

Day 6 on the painting train and I've finished my second tank. I go almost 20 years without finishing a tank, and now I do 2 in 1 week.

I know the pictures are terrible, but it's 4am, I'm under a couple of daylight bulbs using my iPad. I'll get a proper picture for posterity with my proper camera with a decent background another time. Anyway, how does this compare to the Rhino? I fully expect it to be worse due to not having an instructor here to assist, but I've stared at it for so long this week I cannot see anything but red and white blurs now.

C&C encouraged.

Follow me @The1000thSon.

Chapter Master Scribe of Khorne's Avatar

Thats beautiful man.
    Some men, just want to watch the world burn.

These tanks are sexy as ****. Saw the Rhino on MKA Studios Instagram feed, great to see it here to, not to mention the Venator which is shaping up amazingly. Might just be the best painted Thousand Sons I've seen, and that's 1,5 vehicles in.

Keep it up,
    BeatTheBeat

I noticed these too on MKA, worth keeping an eye on that blog.

I really like the use of a limited range of colours on the pallet, it really does work with a lot of the legions. I am doing the same for XIII legion, it ties in very nicely. Just out of interest, have you tried using a dark brown colour for the tracks then using a combination of weathering then picking out the extreme edges with a metallic colour?

Will be watching this thread

Thank you guys. I've always tried to limit my pallet, but these tanks take it to the extreme. This is my painting desk with everything I used on the Venator. Realising you only need a few paints to make things look good is liberating.

Can you guess what is next?

Follow me @The1000thSon.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast