Page 1 of 25 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Swampy! More scenery with Ewan! -> Terrain Forum

Ewan's Modular Swamp

No not that guy with dreadlocks that hid up trees.

I have staretd my next project. A 24" x 24" section of swamp.

The plan:
    A gooey swamp on a 2x2 section of MDF. I will be using white polystyrene to create the solid areas.

Pictures later!

This will be a "show piece" to add to a portfolio of works. It will be used and played on but its mainly for fun.
    Last edited by Wolf Scout Ewan; 29-10-2007 at 23:14. Reason: A nice new title!
    A mind without purpose buys stuff it doesn't need.
    My Modular Swamp project log!
    A lonely planet guide to your very own planet? Come join in the fun on my Design a world thread!

Re: Swampy! More scenery with Ewan!

Sounds promising, I guess this is just for a combat patrol or small games?

I found you can use those polystyrene ceiling tiles for small boards. You just layer them up in the ways you want, for mounds etc, an then you smooth them round with a blade and then sand them, works well. Or were you going to use the pink or blue insulation foam?
    "If your not living life on the edge, then your taking up too much space!"

OK!

Why this journal? People often ask how I go about making scenery... well this time I have decided to show you guys how I go about it... step by step!

Picture update.

MDF: This stuff is easily obtained, unfortunately I could only find 6 mil this time. 24 inches by 24 inches. It is bought in sheets of 4 feet by 2 feet and cut in half using a jigsaw.

White Polystyrene: Bought in 8 by 4 sheets from MKM. Cut to rough size using a normal saw then placed over the MDF and cut to size using a GW hot wire cutter.

Planning the scenery: I always have a plan, a draw it out on paper to scale then copy this across onto the Polystyrene.

At this stage I usually place significant stuff that will be added later during gluing. Test fitting if u will. This show the big ass tree that will be in the middle.

Cutting the Polystyrene to plan: I use the hot wire cutting to cut it all out. Notice that the open edges have small "lips" to prevent leakage of watereffect/resin/envirotex light.
    A lonely planet guide to your very own planet? Come join in the fun on my Design a world thread!

Chapter Master

Good luck, hope the envirotex doesn't eat your choice of foam! Be sure to seal that bad boy up as much as possible.

Looking good Ewan, keep us posted plz.
    "If your not living life on the edge, then your taking up too much space!"

Dude, I wish you all the best in trying a water effect product in such a deep area. I really hope it comes out well, if it does please let us know what product you used, as I have tried GWs "water Effects" (absolute *****!) as well as Woodland Scenics stuff (which is OK as long as you aren't going very deep), this is purely my own experience.

I have used Envirotex lite several times now. On five different sections I have made. It doesnt melt foam like epoxy type resins. But is freaking expensive. Especially since I have to order it from the states!

But... now this is the interesting part I will be using GW water effect, but only as a base coat. The rest will be "Clear Cast". If you have seen those bottles or glasses with plastic flowers in a solid water effect then u will have seen this. Its also called Summat else in the states... Eternal Elegance is one of its brand names over there.

Update! Pics of todays work!
    Pic one: The next step is to remove the squareness of the polystyrene. This is done by cutting into the polystyrene at an angle. The bottom edge will be underwater so you cut the polystyrene so it appears to be more triangular. Repeating the process all around the section until you have a pointed island. Then you cut along the top of the upward edge of the triangle to smooth it out. After this you can smooth, steepen or lower the gradient as required. The tree is from a petshop, and created by a company called "Aquarium Treasures".

Pic two: Here you can see the areas of what will be water... Leaving enough space between islands for models to hide in. The section that has the large tree on remains high to maintain its centrepiece quality. The two island in the lower left section are higher and cut in such a way so they have been undercut/eroded by the swamp water.

Tomorrow I will make a small cascade to pour into the top right section. Then plan out how to place shrubs etc.
    Last edited by Wolf Scout Ewan; 20-06-2006 at 23:36. Reason: Update with pics!

Eternal Elegance is the stuff we used on our table, the mining colony
    its not cheap either. we have over $150.00 on our table worth of the stuff

pour it in thin layers and when each dries you will see the edges on the finished part and will look like ripples blown in the wind.

alot of reeds and cattails would look good on this board.

also are you making the looped roots that stick out from trees that arch out and down in the swamp? would look good off that tree. would be easy with a wire form with something wrapped around it.

Steve
    Last edited by Orcdom; 21-06-2006 at 02:35.

Commander

this looks really good. keep the pictures coming!
    once i get around to my Vampire Coast army ill want lots of Aquatic terrain
    In victory, thy glory on earth
    In death, thy glory in heaven
    Arise, therefore, Warrior!
    With thy Soul ready to fight!

Orcdom: Yes... I quite forgot it was you who suggested it. Clear Cast is the UK version apparently! Many thanx for the suggestions.
    Mangrove tree limbs! I will add some of these... thx for the idea!
    I do already have some "Dead Fall" from woodland scenics to add. I have reeds but no cattails... got a pic that might help me figure out how to make them?

Meowser. Vampire coast... thats sand banks and stuff right? Use the same method as shown here!

This board will look so amasing with the big tree in the center.
    "Day of belching, farting, vomiting and diarrhoea; a real organ concert."
    Ernesto 'Che' Guevara

cattails can be made using flock around a thin wire.
    Steve

Librarian

Something else that might work for cattails is long beads. When I was at the craft store last week I remember seeing some skinny beads that were about a 1/4 inch long. You could run some beading wire through them for the stalk and then paint the bead brown to look like the cattail, or like orcdom said flock the bead. Just a suggestion.

Man I am really looking forward to seeing how this board turns out. I hope you are going to be going for a dark moody swamp rather than the overly green ones GW seems to pump out.

Either way keep up the good work and get some detailing done!
    For your convenience:The spikedog all-in-wonder-log! 40K, Fantasy, Necromunda, Scenery, its all there!

The Attic Gaming Club Podcast - Just in case you wanted to hear me chat rubbish with other gamers...

Cpl_hicks, thanks for the link! That's an excellent tutorial.

Good luck with this project! It seems you have a good plan and everything that you've already done looks great! I can't wait to see more of it.
    I love the tree trunk.

Nah, you don't need luck..

caput

Yeah! Damn good link! Thx!

Major Update time!

Yesterday I made the cascade/waterfall.

Today I glued all the polystyrene to the base and planned out where the regular trees and plants where to go!

The Cascade: Making a waterfall is very easy. The hard part is making it look realistic during painting and water effects.
    To make a waterfall here is what I do:
    1. Decide how many pools you want in your waterfall then get your polystyrene or foam and cut it into a stack of similar shaped peices. Make sure they stack!
    2. Cut into each layer leaving space for a pool(s) in each. This may end up looking like a stepped hill. Dont worry that is what you want.
    3. Each steppe has space for the pool so start on the bottom and work up. Take a layer of steppe and cut into it at an angle to create a hollow basin. The basin is obviously wider at the top than the bottom. Now take out the bit of material u just cut out and half way up u cut across it. Now put the bottom half back into the hole u cut. Bingo... a basic pool.
    4. The next bit will take a steady hand... or alot of confidence with the HWC. Take the bottom of the basin out of the layer and cut around the top of the edge of the basin to smooth out the edges. Take out all the regular angles as if you were creating a garden pond. Then choose the edge where you wish the water to flow out of and cut a notch in it. Smooth out the edges as part 3.
    5. Cut the rest of the hill or base as you would normally.
    6. After painting normally get some black ink and paint the areas that will hold the water... dont worry if its too dark... get a soaking wet brush and dilute the ink before it dries. Leave the centre of pools or under overhangs dark. Once that is dry its time to add flock and such. Use darker flock in pools than on "dry" areas if you want weed.
    7. Water! MMMmmm I love iiit! First though we have to create the water that is falling from one pool to another. I do this by using packaging that tesco uses to hold trays of premade sandwiches or cakes. This tough yet flexible plastic is great for making falling water! Cut this into strips of about 2 - 3 mils and however long u need to connect the pools. Then glue one end of a strip to the notch in the above pool and the bottom to the floor of the pool below. Wait for the glue to dry... do not worry about the blooming caused by glue.
    7.1 Water Effect. Now I have used GW water effect in the past and dislike it because it refuses to fill areas properly. So I have been using Enivirotex Light from Barrule. This stuff fills whole areas and looks great. So if you are using resin its the same situation except Envirotex doesnt melt polystyrene or generate heat when setting.
    Get a jar and add same amounts from each of the resin and hardener bottles. Mix it up vigourously till it looks like its full of bubbles and the colour of egg white has just gone to clear. Pour this into the top level of your waterfall watch for it falling down the strips of plastic... add more water effect to each pool in descending order until all are full and wait for it to set.
    7.2 White water! Get some skull white and a small drybrush. Same technique as drybrushing paint at the bottom and up each strip of falling water an area of white on top of the dried resin. When this is dry... get some epoxy resin... mix it up till its getting rather stuiff then scoop it on TOP of the areas you just drybrushed. Wait till that sets.

A finished cascade I made:

Back to the Swamp then!

I glued down all the polsytrene after making a few alterations. Making sure the scenery didnt have any unpassable areas I didnt intend!

I also (dry) placed some jungle pants and drew circles where the tree's would be. I bought sets of 3 - 5" and 3/4 - 2" tree armatures from woodland scenics to help save money.
    I also dry fitted some ammo crates just to see if they worked. These will need more thought. The trees and plants look great!

Top down view!

Here are a few pics of the remainder of the last project.

Forest section

Nasty brambley ivy stuff!

Full view... sorry its blurry!

River section with natural stone arch thing.

Page 1 of 25 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast