Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: 202nd Jouran Dragoons

Veteran Sergeant

202nd Jouran Dragoons

So, after spamming the Tread-Head Thread with WIP pictures of the tanks I'm working on, I thought it would be appropriate to actually start a log of the army (which at the time of writing consists entirely of two models: a Leman Russ Vanquisher and a Leman Russ BT, both of which have been completed, but I have a lot of WIP pictures).

Army background:

Why Jourans? Simply because Storm of Iron is one of my favourite 40K books, and the featured IG regiment - the 383rd Jouran Dragoons - gets very little love (though I understand they featured in WD once). Besides which, mechanised IG with an aristocratic yet meritocratic officer corps appeals to me, for some reason.

Army colours:

I'm going by the book, which continually makes mention of sky-blue flak jackets. That's the main infantry colour sorted. But what about the tanks? For thematic and uniform reasons rather than anything else, I looked around for tank camo schemes that included blue, and finally settled on this - apocryphal, but that doesn't really matter as I'm not exactly going for historical accuracy - British early WWII desert scheme, which is quite a striking scheme and not one I've seen IG tanks painted up in previously.

Army plan:

I'm initially aiming to model and paint ~ 1,500 points, and we'll see how we go from there. This will consist of:

HQ - Tank Commander, Leman Russ Vanquisher, Leman Russ squadmate;
    Troops - Veterans x 3 mounted in Chimeras, two squads with plasma guns and one squad with meltas;
    Fast Attack - Vendetta, Hellhound;
    Heavy Support - Basilisk.

So, without further ado!

N.B. Because I apparently hate having money, I elected to go with Forge World Leman Russes rather than vanilla Russes. This is mainly because I think that the Citadel Russ is a cartoony piece of crap that couldn't intimidate a Grot, whereas the Forge World Mars Alpha pattern Russes are much longer, bulkier and most importantly a lot meaner looking. IMO, they achieve the industrial/gothic aesthetic of the Guard much better than the Citadel Russ, which frankly looks like a toy for a three year old.

(Another thing I did: as the FW hull overlaps the lower Citadel hull by quite some margin, I bulked out the bottom of the front of each tank to make a proper sloped frontal glacis with plasticard and green stuff, the results of which I'm pretty proud of.)

With regards to the battle cannon, let me be clear: Much like the vanilla Russ in general, I hate the vanilla BC. It looks awful. So I thought I'd try and improve its look whilst remaining true to the aesthetic. The turret and gun are Forge World's [[http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Warhamme...SS-TURRET.html Modified Ryza Pattern Turret]], to which I added the muzzle brake from the plastic Citadel Vanquisher cannon (which is slightly slopier than the basic battle cannon muzzle brake).

The track units for both tanks both have magnets in them. I have also left the outer track...plate?...unglued so that I can detach it at any point, which proved very useful later on.

So, colour schemes. The Jouran Dragoons canonically wear sky blue flak jackets, but no mention is made of the colours of their vehicles. I decided I wanted to include blue in some shape in order to tie the vehicles in with the infantry. After looking around, I settled for this British early WW2 desert scheme, which whilst apparently apocryphal (based on a restoration mistake; it should be grey, not blue) suits my purposes rather nicely.

On to part two, owing to the image limit!
    Last edited by doomengine; 22-06-2014 at 10:52.

Veteran Sergeant

Re: 202nd Jouran Dragoons

So, painting.

Not possessing an airbrush, I used copious amounts of Tamiya spray paint and tape to achieve the following effect:

With black basecoated bits:

After that, I set to work washing and drybrush highlighting - techniques I'd never actually really used before, and therefore made plenty of mistakes. For example, Nuln Oil thinned with water rather than Lahmian Medium creates horrible ash-grey patches in the deepest recesses, which I wish I knew before.

On to part three - decals and detailing!

Veteran Sergeant

Decals!

The decals signify that this is the first tank of A Squadron and 202 is the regimental number. The skull on the side of the turret is the current campaign badge and the gauntlet holding the lightning bold on the top is there because it looks cool.

Experiments in lens painting:

So, that's the Vanquisher basically done. On to part four - the Leman Russ Battle Tank.
    Last edited by doomengine; 22-06-2014 at 10:54.

Veteran Sergeant

Pre-wash:

Post-wash:

Note that the hull is the "vanilla" Mars Alpha pattern, whereas the Vanquisher hull is the DKoK Mars Alpha pattern. There are subtle differences between the two along with a lot of additional extras like engine filters with the latter kit, some of which I instead used on the "vanilla" hull for variety (like the big dome engine filter on the back).

Unfortunately, Forge World recently (in the last couple of weeks) retired the vanilla hull, apparently permanently. This meant that my LRBT would be unique and my Vanquisher mundane amongst future models in the army, which would not do. I made the decision to swap hulls, and eventually managed to prise out the hull lascannon on the DKoK hull and put in the heavy bolter instead, as befitting a standard Russ' Snap Shot rules.

This unfortunately means the Vanquisher is stuck with a hull heavy bolter, as the front part of the "vanilla" hull comes with one all in one piece. C'est la vie.

Anyway, the finished tanks:

Note the differences in the front of each tank. The Vanquisher's frontal glacis is also at a slightly depressed angle compared to the LRBT due to an error on my part, but I like to think this just adds character as a different model of Russ or whatever.

Some fantastic looking armour there mate. I think you've pretty much perfected painting those lenses. And the modified battle cannon looks great and ties in nicely with the Vanquisher, while still clearly being a different weapon. I assume there will be a commander going into the Vanquisher.

Can't wait to see more. Subscribed.
    Young lady, I am an expert on humans. Now pick a mouth, open it and say "brglgrglgrrr"!

Veteran Sergeant

Thanks!

I'm currently working on a pair of Chimeras. Once those are done, I'll either start on some infantry or either a Hellhound or Vendetta. The infantry certainly are going to have to wait until a few bits and pieces I ordered from Victoria Miniatures arrive.

Nice. Victoria produces some great stuff. I've been really impressed with the quality of the sculpts and casting of the resin.

I'm using her bits for my Rough Riders and would love to (one day when my wallet can stand it) build an army out of her Arcadian troopers, both the male and female squads.
    Young lady, I am an expert on humans. Now pick a mouth, open it and say "brglgrglgrrr"!

Veteran Sergeant

The bits in question are Arcadian bits, actually. I'm determined to include some female troopers in this army, and one of the reasons that the Vanquisher is so far commander-less is that I want a female ace tank commander - she'll be a Pask stand-in.

Commander

They look really nice, storm of iron is really good agreed, am going to have jourans in the future so will watch with interest.
    In regards to the standard Russ tho I do agree it isn't the standard of the fw one but when you have a full leman Russ company and you have a few different models ( the old one, the new one, and forge world it really looks fantastic IMO, yeah Arcadian sounds the right bits for the job, the dress cap heads and shoulder boards for senior officers instead of the helmets in my opinion but that's my opinion

-joeingtons

Veteran Sergeant

As I await the arrival of my Victoria Miniatures order for my infantry, I thought I'd get to work in earnest on their rides.

I don't think I'll use Predator turrets on all my Chimeras, so I think this one will eventually represent a "command" Chimera of some sort, possibly for a Company Command Squad.

Commander

Looks really nice, would do the same for all chimeras

-joeingtons

Veteran Sergeant

So, I didn't like the normal Chimera multilaser muzzle. I decided to switch it for a lascannon muzzle from the Leman Russ kit. The Green Stuff is still a little on the rough side; when it's set, I'll file it down a smidge.

My Victoria Miniatures heads arrived - 10 male, 10 female, and one female Sergeant conversion kit for my Vanquisher's tank commander.

Girls:

Boys:

Tank Commander WIP:

Commander

Looks all good , like what's you have done with the multi laser. What's the cream color you use on your tanks btw , just looking for something exactly like that

-joeingtons

Veteran Sergeant

The cream colour of the canvassy bits on the hull guns? That's simply a layer or two of Dawnstone, a Seraphim Sepia wash and then another layer of Dawnstone.

Commander

Cheers

-joeingtons

Veteran Sergeant

Commander mostly done!

And she's finally in her tank. I'm really pleased with the right arm positioning. It looks like she's resting the binoculars on the cupola

Where to begin?

The Russes are freaking sweet, love how you done the lenses on them.

Awesome choice of army to do, one with some recognition in the fluff but not too well known so allows you to do what you want with the army. I think it was a cool decision to include both men and women in the army, as you so rarely see that on the tabletop. Do you have any plans beyond the head swap for female troopers?

For the chimera, I'd recommend putting some kind of ariels or a coms array on top, so that when it gets switched to a command chimera it can suit the role better.

Anyway, well done on everything so far and I eagerly await more!

Veteran Sergeant

Thanks

For the female troopers, I will just try to make their bodies a little physically smaller than their male counterparts through judicious filing here and there. I'm shooting for realistic, and uniforms have a habit of looking quite androgynous in the real world.

I should probably have included this in the first post, but I'm including female troops for two reasons besides the modelling challenge:

1) The Jourans form canonically mixed regiments.

2) Far more importantly, women are criminally under-represented in the Guard both in the fluff and on the tabletop.

With regards to the Chimera, the comms array is a good idea. I actually have a Forge World set that I didn't really get around to putting on one of my tanks, so I will probably use that.

Any new additions are probably going to have to wait for a while, I'm a bit broke right now. Got my eye on a Valkyrie, though...
    Last edited by doomengine; 30-06-2014 at 18:51.

Really impressive stuff- can't wait to see more!!

Chapter Master
    Poland - land of polar bears and vodka xD

GReat tanks! Can't wait to see your infantry...
    and you have a good taste in beer ;]
    Deathguard & Nurgle Daemons http://www.warseer.com/forums/showth...The-Dread-49th
    Steel Legion http://www.warseer.com/forums/showth...nised-Infantry
    Iyanden Eldar - No plog yet but am painting ;]
    Hive Fleet Kraken - http://www.warseer.com/forums/showth...se-the-Kraken!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast