Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: House Hyperion Knight Errant

Chapter Master Inquisitor Engel's Avatar

Re: House Hyperion Knight Errant

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Egg View Post
    You can get open source equivalents of photoshop and illustrator for free
    Much as I'm loathe to say it, I've had to use some of these programs and have yet to even be remotely impressed with any of them. Adobe is, and has been for almost 30 years, the professional standard for a reason.

$10 a month is nothing, and it's especially nothing if you're in this hobby.

Ahh...I've not used any of them. I've got a copy of Photoshop Elements which works well for my needs.

For those interested, I've popped a 150dpi version of the decal sheet up on B&C's downloads folder: http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/f...n-decal-sheet/

Or you can PM me and I can send you the 600dpi version.

I promise I'll get back to this at some point. Real life is taking up a lot of my time at the moment.

I might just be the slowest painter on Warseer (check out the first post on my Fists log!) but today... I did some work.

Cutting the decal to fit and old the shoulder was tough, and you can currently see the different finishes. I'll be spraying the whole guy down with a matte varnish at the end of the process, so that will hopefully take care of that. Cutting it around that detail is a bit of a pain. I'm not looking forward to doing the one on the shin armour...
    Last edited by Inquisitor Engel; 02-11-2015 at 19:29.

Does look a right pain in the butt Is it me or does the colour of the shoulder transfer look a little flatter? (Still looks blooming good tho)

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Egg View Post
    Does look a right pain in the butt Is it me or does the colour of the shoulder transfer look a little flatter? (Still looks blooming good tho)
    It is a little less "vibrant" than the painted colours for sure, and photos appear to exacerbate that fact unfortunately. It's my first run with decals printed from elsewhere, and other than the yellow, red, and white (which I expected to be less than glaring white anyway) on the stripes, they look great.

Yeah, those 3 colours usually have a tendency to be paler on transfers. I suppose you can always ting them up a bit with some paint, though he still looks cool as is.

More progress from Imperial Knight House Hyperion! Thanksgiving weekend progress on layering and painting over decals!

Layer decals to make more complex decals. You can see the parts where I had to paint over them to make them fit around the details, but for a first attempt at what is a much more complex process than I'd like after six-ish months off modelling, I'm pleased with the outcome.

The shine around the decals should go away (or at least be greatly reduced) when he gets his matte varnish coat.

His name is Cantos.

The original plan was to add large present moons on his carapace, but now I'm not so sure it won't be too many. Thoughts?

I think at the mo he has quite a grim aspect, adding more moons would soften that up so I'd probably say leave them off. Looking good sir!

Just looking ace
    / SDKFZ

I was looking for a side by side comparison of Knight vis a vis Warhound and found this 'Lancer' compared to a Mars Warhound. So now we need Lucius Knight vs Lucius Lancer? BTW beautiful paint work.
    "It is easier to fool someone than it is to convince them that they have been fooled."

Thanks all!

Decision made - no moons on the carapace.

Anyway, today he got a tabard!

Tried to keep it simple, but menacing, with a touch of heraldry and a tie-back to the Mechanicum links of even the most Imperial-aligned Knight Houses.

Like the other decals, it'll look better once it's all matte sealed.

I also trimmed the top two links off the tabard chains to make it a smidgen shorter. Otherwise it seemed to hang VERY low to the ground, which aside from potentially interfering with any of my basing decisions (currently paralysed on) seems... Impractical. These are somewhat sacred personal banners, having them dragging on the battlefield dirt seems... Not something a Knightly House would allow.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Blackadder View Post
    I was looking for a side by side comparison of Knight vis a vis Warhound and found this 'Lancer' compared to a Mars Warhound. So now we need Lucius Knight vs Lucius Lancer? BTW beautiful paint work.
    The Knight chassis are Questoris (the GW kit ones) and Cerastus, which is the tall, slimmer version the Lancer is based on. (You can see the different styles on the FW page - http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/The_Horu...filter_reset=1) Knights don't have Mars or Lucius patterns, since their designs are far older, and based on anything particularly tied to a given forge world.

And thanks.
    Last edited by Inquisitor Engel; 02-11-2015 at 19:30.

This is probably one of the coolest knights I've ever seen.

Chapter Master

this is really crisp - very good work
    Trying to contact living relatives of Sam 'Jock' Wilson, KIA 10.06.44, UK army id 2764432, from Morley, West Yorkshire, England. Served with Black Watch Regiment & 6 Commando.
    Facing the Tau's Third Expansion, many Guard units were routed from the field or driven to suicide by the horrifying and infectious battle-cry of Commander Shadowsun [redacted for the safety of the reader]: "I'm blu*...da ba dee...da ba di...da b* dee...da ba di..."

Wow thanks guys! That seriously means a lot. I'm unfortunately one of those people who REALLY needs feedback to keep going, and I've been pushing on hard.

Next up is adding some detail to the power fist (rivets, and maybe some of those crosses) before painting it, then the base.

Turns out I can actually tear myself away from work and playing video games with my wife for five minutes...

I've added some small rivets to the fist. They're bit bigger than the ones on the rest of the model, but I think they're okay for the fist being such a powerful weapon. I also added a lauren on the front and some purity seals on the back half to give it some colour variety when I'm done.

I also ordered a scenic base from eBay, because I tried my hand at making a cool base and... Well I just suck at it. I'll still be adding the cracked cathedral window to it though, because I think that looks cool.

Should arrive in the mail any day now.

Well, other than the base, he's all done!

Front View:

Side View:

Better view of the power fist!

Still really proud of the burn on the gun.

Stay tuned for a base... Eventually.
    Last edited by Inquisitor Engel; 02-11-2015 at 19:32.

Great job, I love the stance! The heraldry looks good too, any plans to make a larger household?

Amazing stuff! The problem with GW decals can mostly be solved by using some microset and microsol, but I think you already managed to make them look great. How many hours did painting this monster take you? ;-)

Brother Sergeant

having acquired some of engels transfers even if the Engel Crusade doesn't increase Hyperion there should be another 8 or so coming from this direction later in the year inc some interesting add on bits.

Engel personally wasn't impressed with the Hyprion fluff and seems you have reimagined them to be an imperial house instead of an Ad Mech house, have you expanded on that any more? wondering how close our fluff tracks happy to post here if you would like

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast