Thread: The Battle of Istvaan V

The Battle of Istvaan V

Hi all,

Based on an idea that I got from another forum, that seems to have unfortunately fallen trough, I was wondering if anyone would fancy attempting a role playing game based on one of the most famous battles of Warhammer 40K lore: The Battle of Istvaan V, more commonly known as the The Drop Site Massacre of Istvaan V.

However, this RP, although taking place during the same event with the Traitor Legions of the Sons of Horus, Emperor's Children, Death Guard and World Eaters entrenched on the surface of Istvaan V alongside the Legio Mortis Titan Legion, some things will be different.

Firstly, the Traitor Legions not present on Istvaan V. Although they will retain the same numbers of 4 Traitor Legions and 3 Loyalist Legions in the fleet sent to crush Horus (or will they?), the actual Legions that turn traitor and indeed the actual Legions in the assault force itself are all able to be changed.

I'll be RPing Horus and the Sons of Horus, and will be, for obvious reasons, the only person with the identity of all the Traitor Legions in the Imperium's assault force. As such, there will more than likely end up being a lot of carnage and backstabbing during the initial landings.

Also, of major importance, are the numbers of the Legions at the time of the Dropsite Massacare. These are presented below, where they are known.

The approximate sizes of a few of the Legions at the start of the Heresy have been given in various sources, and where these have been vague, I've given them a actual value. If the Legion doesn't have a size given by a valid source, I've given them a rough estimate for size.

I - Dark Angels - 110,000
    II - [Records Destroyed, Unplayable]
    III - Emperor's Children - 50,000 [Due to Istvaan III]
    IV - Iron Warriors - 167,000
    V - White Scars - 90,000
    VI - Space Wolves - 130,000
    VII - Imperial Fists - 100,000
    VIII - Night Lords - 110,000
    IX - Blood Angels - 120,000
    X - Iron Hands - 113,000
    XI - [Records Destroyed, Unplayable]
    XII - World Eaters - 150,000
    XIII - Ultramarines - 250,000
    XIV - Death Guard - 95,000
    XV - Thousand Sons - 10,000 [Due to rampant mutations resulting from all being psykers.]
    XVI - Sons of Horus - 145,000
    XVII - Word Bearers - 150,000
    XVIII - Salamanders - 89,000
    XIX - Raven Guard - 80,000
    XX - Alpha Legion - [Estimated between 90,000 and 180,000. Alpha Legion player will be TGd number.]

Strength of Titan Legions on Istvaan V:

Legio Atarus (Command to be assigned)- 2 Reaver Titans, 3 Warhound Titans
    Legio Mortis (Under Sons of Horus Command):
    (Fortress Group)- 1 Emperor Titan (Dies Irae), 2 Warlord Titans, 2 Reaver Titans, 4 Warhound Titans
    (Concealed Group)- 1 Warlord Titan, 1 Reaver Titan, 5 Warhound Titans

Istvaan V Traitor Legions

Death Guard:
    Emperor's Children:
    Sons of Horus: Myself
    World Eaters:
    Total numbers: 145,000 Space Marines

Loyalist Assault Force Legions (2/7)

First Wave (2/3)

Iron Warriors (GabrielSantar229)
    Raven Guard (Menthak)

Second Wave (0/4)

Total Numbers: 247,000 Space Marines

Loyalty will be determined by 3 dice rolled by me and be PM'd.

Currently I am not intending to advise all traitor forces of who their fellow traitors are. It will keep things interesting!

So, if you're interested, please fill in the following app:

Legion Name:
    Legion Number:
    Legion Primarch:
    Legion Heraldry/Armour Colour:

I do appreciate that this forum is very quiet nowadays and that finding 11 people to play will probably be impossible, but hey - it's worth a shot!

EDIT:

And, if it does prove to be popular enough that all places are filled, there is nothing to say that unexpected entrants to the fight may not show up!
    Last edited by 2_heads_talking; 02-08-2014 at 23:17.

Re: The Battle of Istvaan V

39 views and no interest?
    2nd Edition Background: The ONLY Background

"Imagine fear is a wall of fire. A brave man is not a blind man, who cannot see the flames. A truly brave man walks through the fire and emerges stronger, with his spirit tempered by the courage of his action."

Blood Angels Sergeant Laertes, Harbinger of Despair, 736.M41

Just not much interest on the RP section these days :/

how about a RP for a group of survivor marines who may or may not be loyalists?

Quote Originally Posted by Doi View Post
    Knowing MOMUS I would guess something dirty and/or depraved.
    Or conning you into making a giant-sized Slann.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Inquisitor View Post
    That was pretty epic, MOMUS.

Chaplain

Legion Name:Iron Warriors
    Legion Number:IV
    Legion Colours: Silver with dark red shoulder guards(To represent the attrocities on Olympia). Hazard stripes on leg plates now represent veterans. It's sigil is a Silver skull
    Legion Primarch: Perturabo
    What do you mean by nation name?

Thanks for the interest!

Sorry about the nation thing, as advised It came from an idea on another forum so it was information relevant to that gaming forum.

I've removed it now.

Would you be interested, MOMUS? Maybe a squad might work better but I fancied something epic!

I'm interested and I have a non-Warseer friend who is as well. I will fill in the form tonight as I have work in about five minutes.
    Bitter.

Out of all the changes to 40k over the years, the one that irks me most, not fliers, not Grey Knights or the new Necron fluff, it's my Kroot being worthless in CC.

If anyone has the 4/5th edition Chaos Raptors please PM me.

Excellent! One application and two potentials already!

If you can post the app when you can, Menthak, that would be great!

Anyone else fancy it?

Chaplain

2_heads_talking I have one question. If none of the traitor legions know who's on their side how are they supposed to be stopped from slaughtering each other? Because let's assume that I become a traitor. Now I'm I'm in the first wave so the second I come down, instead of attacking the traitor legions already on the surface, I'll assume the other two legions in the first wave are loyal and I'll get stuck in. This may well have the result that the traitors fight each other as much as they fight the loyalists. The whole reason that the dropsite massacre was succesful was becuase the traitors knew who to fight and who not to. Imagine if the WE had thought the WB were loyal. Carnage.

Legion Name: Raven guard.
    Legion Number: XIX (19).
    Legion Primarch: Corvus Corax.
    Legion Heraldry/Armour Colour: The Raven and mostly black on all but the shoulder trim (depending on organisation, can be white, red or green).

Don't be discouraged by slow replies, people are here.

If my mate is interested I'll get him to sign up and post or I'll post for him.
    Bitter.

Out of all the changes to 40k over the years, the one that irks me most, not fliers, not Grey Knights or the new Necron fluff, it's my Kroot being worthless in CC.

My plan was that each of the traitors will be advised on how many fellow traitor legions will be included in the first wave and the second wave (depending on my own dice rolls).

It was to incorporate some confusion and carnage to the proceedings, as there is a chance that the loyalists could win depending on how people play it!

Still I can look at it again while we wait for any other interest, if necessary

If you can't find enough people on Warseer's RP page try checking out Roll20 for other players, it's always got at least a few.
    Bitter.

Does the Roll20 page allow you to perform Play By Forum, or would I be allowed to simply post an ad regarding this RP?

"Imagine fear is a wall of fire. A brave man is not a blind man, who cannot see the flames. A truly brave man walks through the fire and emerges stronger, with his spirit tempered by the courage of his action."

Quote Originally Posted by 2_heads_talking View Post
    Does the Roll20 page allow you to perform Play By Forum, or would I be allowed to simply post an ad regarding this RP?
    I don't think you can post by forum, but you can post an ad and people will see it.
    Bitter.

Hey all.

Thank you for your interest in this.

Unfortunately it doesn't look like we will get anywhere near the numbers needed unless you all play several legions each.

I've moved this offsite to another forum, link is below if anyone fancies coming along:

http://role-player.net/forum/showthr...=1#post2169007

Cheers all, I guess this forum really is on it's last legs.

Unfortunately it might be so. But I can still hope.
    Bitter.

Hoping this isn't dead just yet *Fingers Crossed*. This section may be on its way out but hopefully the game can be the CPR it needs

I would like to play, but I have a few questions about how it will be run before I throw myself into it.

How are casualties going to be worked out? Is it based on dice rolls you make? Can we alter these dice rolls (if there are any) with skilled warriors or brilliant tactics? Are there locations we need to claim or is it a bit more of a free-form game?

Worst comes to worst I am willing to play two or three Legions just to get the game going. I would much prefer the 4-5 guys played 11 Legions than there was no game at all.

Anyway here is my (First, if necessary) Legion
    Legion Name: Emperor's Children
    Legion Number: III
    Legion Primarch: Fulgrim
    Legion Armour Colour: Purple, Black, and Gold
    Legion Heraldry: Grasping Winged Arm in Gold
    Attacking (Hopefully Second Wave)
    Last edited by Wafer-Thin-Reasoning; 11-08-2014 at 15:41.