Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Codex Adeptus Arbites for 7th Edition

Re: Codex Adeptus Arbites for 7th Edition

I assume that youve put the Aquila landing shuttle in as a flyer transport to get fast response teams into combat zones???
    The arbites are capable of having them.
    Im also pretty certain that they would some how out fit a chimera to be an assault vehicle (this however would not make tech adepts happy, let alone the player base as a whole).
    Good to see your back into the arbites again ambience

Edit: a rerollable armour save on detective Gotham would increase his survival rate, however it will also make his points at 150 a bit dubious, but with play testing, he shouldn't need any point increases or reductions. And as a LoW he certainly restricts what your capable of fielding alongside him.
    Last edited by hazmiter; 16-08-2014 at 15:11.

Thanks for the input hazmiter. The Arbites are my first love in 40K, so I figure they will be the first Codex I update each edition.

The Arbites have their own flyer - the Eagle. It is mentioned in Execution Hour, and I based my version on that description, as well as Valkyries and Storm Ravens.

As far as modifying Chimera to be Assault Vehicles, I don't want to do that. Most Assault vehicles in the game have some sort of forward-facing assault ramp, and generally side doors as well. The Chimera only has the rear ramp, which doesn't make for a great assaulting position. (Otherwise I'm sure the Guard would be happy to use it that way!) Also, as you said the Mechanicus wouldn't be too happy about such a thing, and the Arbites are nothing if not "by the book".

I did, however, include an option to make Rhinos open-topped, as I have read a number of references to such a variant existing in the established background, and figured the Arbites may be inclined to use such a vehicle. That can serve as a nice assault vehicle, although it does make it a bit less resilient.

Playtesting and points adjustments are of course in order - so we'll see how our lovely Detective Gotham gets on.
    The Cult Ascendant! A Genestealer Cult Army Log
    + + + =][= + + + Inquisition & Imperial Agents Project Log

Codex: Exodites (7th Ed) The Dragon Knights prepare to charge!
    Codex: Adeptus Arbites (7th Ed) To detect and to purge!
    Codex: Hive Spyrers (7th Ed) Death leaves the underhive!
    Codex: Genestealer Cult (6th Ed) For the Father!

You're welcome. This Arbites army project has been unbelievably fun thus far (even if lack of funds have made progress glacially slow) so I'm more than happy to be of assistance in this small capacity!

On the matter of Mr. Gotham's armor, the re-roll rule for armor saves only would probably be a good idea. Either that or bumping it straight up to 3+, but the re-rollable 4+ I think would better represent the unique, customized feel of his suit.

I hear you on the slow-go project. I've had stuff to start working on my own Arbites force sitting in boxes and on sprues for over a year and a half, and haven't done much work yet. I think, though, that I am going to re-think the conversion idea and replace the legs I was going to use (Cadian legs w/ sculpted kneepads) to the new Scion legs (maybe still with the sculpted kneepads), but that will have to wait for tax time if it happens.

On the custom armour, I think that's how I'm going to roll with it. It keeps him 4+ like the majority of the list, but gives him the increased survivability as mentioned, and plays well with the 4+ dodge.

New version uploaded. See first post.

v1.3 Update Notes:

- Fixed the Taurox's BS to 4, what it should have been all along!

- Fixed the poinst cost of Detective Gotham to actually say 150 points, rather than just the update notes saying that's what they should be.

- Updated Detective Gotham's Custom Armour. His immunity to AP3 and AP4 was now redundant thanks to his 4+ Invulnerable Save from Uncanny Reflexes, so I changed it so that his armour now allows him to re-roll all failed Armour Saves. He will only get one roll against AP 4 or better, but will get a re-roll against AP 5 or worse, making him more survivable against massed small arms fire - always a plus for lone-wolf types.

Great work Ambience! I did find a couple of things that may or may not be mistakes:

- Combat Teams state in their background paragraph that they have access to "...a variety of special and heavy weapons and other gear." but only have access to purchase from the "Special Weapons" equipment list. I'm guessing this is just an oversight since you clearly mention heavy weapon access in their background.

- The Arbites Chimera has the "Fire Point Array" rule spelled out on it's dataslate but doesn't actually have the rule under it's "Special Rules" or "Wargear" heading (nit picky I know but some people actually complain about things like that even in friendly games)

- Joseph Spartacus' "Demolition Man" rule needs to be rewritten/reworded to reflect the 7th edition vehicle damage table as a 6 is no longer the "Explodes!" result.

I've only skimmed everything over once so far so I'll let you know if I find anything else.

I do have a few suggestions as well.

- I noticed that you have the option to have an open topped Rhino but not an open topped Taurox. The Taurox kit actually has bits in it that can make it open topped (parts 38 & 43) so it's an addition you might consider. Not sure why GW included those bits since there are no rules currently for open topped Taurox but it works out well for converters/rules writers .

- For the Penal Legion entry the Beastmen upgrade skews the squad toward a close combat focus but there's no option to trade out the Lasguns for a Laspistol and Close Combat Weapon. I think giving that as an option either as a free trade or a 1 point/model upgrade would help make the Beastmen upgrade more attractive as currently it cuts the squad's effectiveness at range substantially without truly focusing the unit on assaults. Adding that option might mean that Frenzon becomes undercosted however so it would need some play testing to get the point cost just right I think.
    Last edited by AdonMalik; 31-08-2014 at 19:27. Reason: Added additional suggestion

Thanks for the comments. Some good catches, and some constructive suggestions.

- Combat Teams should have access to the gear listed in their rules. The mention of heavy weapons is a holdover from an older version that I copy/pasted the fluff text from. I'll pull it out the next time I update.

- Great catch on the Chimera - I will get that fixed as well.

- And again on Spartacus. He'll get a fix too.

-Didn't know the Taurox actually came with bits for Open-Topped (I don't have one yet), but that sounds interesting. I'll look into it, and may add the option, since the AM and MT seem to have dropped the ball there.

- I kind of avoided the laspistol/ccw combo on Penal Legions on purpose, but it was more of an "on the fence" kind of decision rather than a "I am firm on this" one. I'd love to hear what others think about this. Should they have the option, or leave them as-is?

For penal legion squads, add in explosive collars.
    Str 2 ap-.
    When they die they can potentially take the model that killed them along for the ride.
    Or detonate one when they fail LD for a reroll, albeit at a -1 penalty with no further modifiers (so this can negate a -4 penalty from lost combat etc).

The Penal Legion entry already has Det-Collars:

Det-Collars: Penal Legionnaires are fitted with explosive det-collars which are used as disciplinary devices to maintain discipline. The blast is directed inward, killing only the wearer and instilling the rest of the unit with a renewed sense of purpose.

As long as the Penal Custodian is alive, whenever a Penal Legion squad fails a Morale or Pinning Test you may choose to activate a det-collar. Remove a single Penal Legionnaire or Beastman as a casualty, with no saves of any kind allowed. The unit then counts as having passed the Morale or Pinning Test.

Haha my bad ambience, been ages since ive seen them fielded let alone read the rules.
    Just a question too bud, have you seen bubblegum crisis 2040, it might give you some fun ideas.

To be fair, they didn't have Det Collars in the last GW rendition - but since GW dropped them from the Codex, I felt a bit more free to add them back in.

Haven't seen Bubblegum Crisis - not a big Anime fan.

Ah, its a trio of chicks with power suits, you might wanna wiki them up and take a look.
    They would fit in as solo characters.

I noticed a couple of other things that may need their rules clarified for 7th:

- Shroud Grenades: Their negative effect can be completely mitigated in 7th due to now being able to select the order in which weapons are fired by a squad. If the Shroud Grenade is fired last the snap shots only for the rest of the Shooting Phase doesn't actually take effect.

- Breaching Charges: With the change in 7th to all non-immobilized vehicles being treated as WS 1 even if stationary it cuts the cases where Breaching Charges can gain Armourbane against vehicles. This may be intended but I thought I'd mention in in case it wasn't.

- Note 1 under Heavy Weapons in the Wargear List seems to be unnecessary since the only unit able to select from the Heavy Weapon list currently is the Fire Support Team. Since they can only make a single selection per unit of two the note as currently worded would never come into effect. This was why I assumed previously that you had intended Combat Teams to be able to select from the Heavy Weapon list as well .

One suggestion as well.

- Consider allowing bike armed Arbites Pursuit Teams to trade either their Arbites Shotgun or their Bolt Pistol when taking the bike. I suggest this only because I love the bit on the Scout Bike sprue with the Combat Shotgun held in one hand :-p.

I have some Arbites models coming from the UK and just picked up the bits to convert up a bunch more so I'm hoping to get in a few small play testing games in the next couple of months. I'll let you know the results once I have a chance to put them through their paces instead of just theoryhammer.

Just found this thread, fantastic work chief, it's nice to see the Arbites done justice(aha) for the new edition. Couple of comments:

Am I missing something really obvious, or is the book lacking a section on Allies? I don't see a modified matrix that includes them, or even just a line saying to count them as Imperial Guard(no, I won't ever use the ghastly new term) when considering alliance levels.

On which note, I noted someone's already mentioned the Tauros/Venator and I get you don't want to clutter up the book with loads more stuff, but perhaps you could add a mention in stating that Arbites count as Imperial Guard for the purposes of selecting non-super heavy vehicle units from the Imperial Armour books? All the odd wee vehicles & variants and stuff like Sabre Defence Platforms seem like they'd fit rather well, and maybe this is just something I'm stuck with in my local area, but I have a big enough job convincing folk to let me try out "unofficial" rules as it is, if I start trying to houserule in Forgeworld stuff without specific mention of it being allowed I can see several potential opponents chucking their toys out the pram no matter how daft that is.

Thanks - always nice to know my efforts are appreciated. I really need to find some time to work on the next update.

Am I missing something really obvious, or is the book lacking a section on Allies? I don't see a modified matrix that includes them, or even just a line saying to count them as Imperial Guard(no, I won't ever use the ghastly new term) when considering alliance levels.
    It's there, just easy to miss. Pg. 20, under the "ARMY LIST ENTRIES" heading, bullet point 1:

Faction: The unit’s Faction is shown here by a symbol. All units that have this symbol, which is all the units described in this book, have the Arbites Faction (which are considered to be one of the Armies of the Imperium for the purposes of the Allies Matrix).
    As for using any Forgeworld stuff allowed by the IG/AM, I don't really want to go that route as there are a lot of things there that really don't fit the Arbites. However, I might look through and pick out a list of specific Forgeworld vehicles that could be taken by Arbites - perhaps even with minor modifications to available weapons. If you have any suggestions or thoughts on what to include in such a list, feel free to share them.

Well the transport variant of the fire raptor (or even the fire raptor itself) could fit in, however it would be incredibly hard to justify or even come up with a reason as to how they would have one of these revered flyers, unless one or two are planet side and available for an on call assist.....
    Modifications to these would be easy to come up with.
    Searchlights, net throwers, blind launchers, etc, the list of ideas could make one easily adaptable for them.
    Tis just a thought :3

Going to dust off my arbitrators and see how many points I can muster.
    Thanks very much!

Banned

Det-Collars: Penal Legionnaires are fitted with explosive det-collars which are used as disciplinary devices to maintain discipline. The blast is directed inward, killing only the wearer and instilling the rest of the unit with a renewed sense of purpose.

As long as the Penal Custodian is alive, whenever a Penal Legion squad fails a Morale or Pinning Test you may choose to activate a det-collar. Remove a single Penal Legionnaire or Beastman as a casualty, with no saves of any kind allowed. The unit then counts as having passed the Morale or Pinning Test.
    Can't help but feel this... doesn't work. The det-collars are supposed to be a mechanism to force the convicts to fight, against their will; to show them that if they don't fight they will definitely die, and stop them from just deciding to run away. But since the person detonating the collars is right there with them, what's stopping them just shooting him and running away anyway?

I don't remember exactly how they used to work back in the Rogue Trader days, but didn't it used to be that the det-collars would kick in if they failed a morale test while in line-of-sight of any appropriate model? In your list, that could be any Arbitrator, or any Character Arbitrator, or whatever other classification you feel is appropriate... but not just the Custodian in the squad. That doesn't make sense!

Indeed, I'm not sure having the Custodian as part of the squad makes sense anyway. If a morale test is failed, that means he's failed the same morale check. So... he gets scared, blows up one of the convicts... and thereby rallies himself!? Or is he Fearless - and if so, why? I think Penal Legion squads are perfectly fitting for this list; but the det-collars should be triggered by someone outside the unit, and that would remove the illogical need for the Custodian in the unit.

You have definitely given me a lot to think about there. Not sure what if anything I might change, but you've given me a good reason to go over the Penal Legion and see if they can be better in any way, or at least better explained.

Brother Sergeant

Here's another idea: Instead of making it a Summary Execution clone, what about making it preemptive? So, rather than executing a model on a failed test, a player can choose to execute one model at the start of a turn in order to automatically pass all tests?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast