Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Codex Adeptus Arbites for 7th Edition

Re: Codex Adeptus Arbites for 7th Edition

MY Arbites will be goingi into battle tomorrow for their first league game amognst my firends. I'll keep you updated and add some pics once I catch up with the painting.

Hope you do well. Looking forward to seeing and hearing about your experiences.
    The Cult Ascendant! A Genestealer Cult Army Log
    + + + =][= + + + Inquisition & Imperial Agents Project Log

Codex: Exodites (7th Ed) The Dragon Knights prepare to charge!
    Codex: Adeptus Arbites (7th Ed) To detect and to purge!
    Codex: Hive Spyrers (7th Ed) Death leaves the underhive!
    Codex: Genestealer Cult (6th Ed) For the Father!

Finally got around to checking out the latest 7th edition of your Arbites codex! It's looking great so far, I just had a few comments:

Regarding Det-Collars, perhaps an alternative would be to have two effects; if a suitable character (Custodian, Judge etc.) is nearby then the unit is Fearless, as certain death from the collar can change your outlook on taking your chances with the enemy. If no character is in range, then the unit starts suffering random casualties similar to Dangerous terrain or Soul Blaze (with no saves), as the arbites would presumably prefer the whole penal legion is wiped out than risk a single escape, so the collars start going off when out of range. The main benefit of the Custodian would be in providing a guaranteed character in range, though you risk them getting killed if you don't have anything else nearby.

My only other thoughts really are that five seems like too many Combat Drills IMO, personally I'd consider pruning Advancing Fire and moving Shield Wall Formation to be Suppression Team specific. Likewise Judge Spartacus probably has a few too many ammo types personally I'd stick with armour piercing, high-ex, ricochet and flare, after all he has Choke Grenades for suppression, also as someone already noted, his demolition man rule may need re-worded, perhaps that any result that will destroy the vehicle takes effect, otherwise the lowest roll does? Lastly, Detective Gotham's Harlequin Enmity would probably be better just as Preferred Enemy (Harlequins), the other condition is a bit confusing as to what it represents (him somehow denying them the satisfaction of killing him doesn't seem like something he'd reserve for just Harlequins), it's also not clear when exactly his Right Tools for the Job effect begins and how long it lasts (is it just for the phase? A single attack?).

But yeah, otherwise they're a great set of rules, and I'm enjoying all the 7th changes and additions, I just need to organise some games to really take advantage (maybe even actually get around to painting some of my arbites )
    Last edited by Haravikk; 12-02-2015 at 14:45.

Very useful thoughts, as I am getting ready to start working on the next update to the Arbites Codex soon.

I've been thinking off and on about the det-collars, and we'll see where that lands. Your idea has merit, but might be a bit more complex than I really want to go with. It is certainly makes a lot of sense in a fluff-to-rules manner though!

Combat Drills have gotten lots of comments, and I really think I may have made them too complex, and possible too good as well. They will definitely get a good going-over, and I may cut them, alter them, or replace them. Time will tell.

Spartacus is a fun, fluff-filled character, and I like him having lots of options for shooting. Helps keep the gears in your head turning when trying to decide what to fire and when. The Demolition Man rule will definitely be reworked.

Not sure what is confusing about The Right Tool For the Job. It says:

Once per player turn at any point Gotham may choose to count as having one of the following special rules until the end of that turn: Acute Senses, Counter-Attack, Feel No Pain (5+), Move Through Cover, Night Vision.
    As for the Harlequin Enmity, it isn't meant to represent Gotham's choice in the matter. The Harlequins themselves have some sort of agenda with him, and will not kill him. Read the fluff for the rule and you'll see what I mean.

Over the years Detective Gotham has had an unusual number of encounters with the enigmatic sect of Eldar known as Harlequins. They always seem to show up at some pivotal moment, often foiling his plans or hindering his investigations. He has engaged them in combat on many of these occasions, and though they have often bested him, once even nearly crippling him, they have always spared his life. This has resulted in a deep-seated enmity in Gotham for these flamboyant warriors, and an insight into how they fight.
    Of course the notes about what counts as a Harlequin will be updated now that the new Harlequin Codex is coming out.
    Last edited by Ambience 327; 12-02-2015 at 20:52.

Re: Codex Adeptus Arbites for 7th Edition (updated 08/19/2014)

Not sure if my group will be keen on unofficial but that codex is great, I laughed at the Robocop and Judge Judy references. If you ever get time think of working Judge Dredd in, I'm sure he was the inspiration for the Arbites, or the way they look anyway.

Thanks. I enjoy creating homage special characters like that, so it's always nice when they are appreciated. Judge Schindler is still one of my favorites, especially because she is so blatant and yet not recognized by many.

As far as Judge Dredd, I actually do have him - at least the Stallone version of him. He is included as half the inspiration for Judge Joseph Spartacus - the other half being Stallone's character John Spartan from Demolition Man. His "I am the Law!" rule, Lawgiver Bolt Pistol (with it's special ammo) and his Pursuit of Justice rule letting Bike Squads be taken as Troops are all based on the Stallone Dredd film.

And show the book to your group. The worst they can say is no. I was surprised to be allowed to use my Genestealer Cult Codex in a local Escalation Tournament, and everyone had a lot of fun playing against it, and I had a blast using my own rules in a formal setting. You never know what people might be cool with. And if you do play any games with my rules, let me know how it goes!

Just a fun little idea for the incendiary ammunition
    Small blast, str3 ap- soul blaze for giggles.
    Or use the torrent style profile without the soul blaze

Banned

I see where you're going, but he's already got the Harlequin Enmity rule, and he's pretty well loaded with special rules and gear as it is. I mean, I even had to go with a smaller font on his page!

@argentinatango112 - I'm curious as to why you are posting using a direct quote from a post I made on DakkaDakka, seemingly in response to a suggestion for the Judge Spartacus character, when the post you are quoting from was responding to a suggestion regarding the Detective Gotham character...

@hazmiter - I like the thought of Soul Blaze added, but I think that might push that particular ammo just a bit too high on the power scale compared to the others.

Nicely done, thanks for putting the effort into your codex. I fondly remember using Arbites during our games of Confrontation, the precursor to Necromunda. The rules for Confrontation were published in White Dwarf, about issue 110-120. When the Arbites hit the pavement they were like gods, so well equipped and armored compared to our underhive scum gangs.

I've just started my own Arbites army. I've decided to go for a feudal planet background by using the bodies of Bretonnian men-at-arms making up the majority of each model.

I've put together a BattleScribe file if anyone one wants it (and as long as it is ok with Ambience). It's about 80% done so it may be a week away.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0129a5cd-cd52-46e0-8d46-c96d1366129c.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	247.4 KB 
ID:	213730Click image for larger version. 

Name:	07679102-6787-4289-a76c-9041ad9c80f1.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	211.8 KB 
ID:	213731Click image for larger version. 

Name:	c361031e-f5f9-4c69-aa7f-ca31cfb1511f.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	226.0 KB 
ID:	213732

Glad you are enjoying my work. Interesting force you have started there. I hope to see more of it as it grows and sees paint.

I have no problem with you building a BattleScribe file from my works, but be advised that I am working on an update to the Arbites Codex that makes some pretty big changes, so you may have to re-do it when I am finished. Can't guarantee when that will be just yet though.

Well good luck with your re-write. I've read through the whole topic here and I can see a few ideas.

My two cents. Keep some version of the Combat Drills. People tend to play armies because of the flavour the codex brings to the table top. If you were to remove Combat Drills then they will just turn into Scions without the cool stuff.

I am sure you are looking at points cost. You have it about right currently for 7th ed. Astra Militarum are your obvious benchmark. A 10 man veteran squad with grenadiers upgrade (carapace armour) come it at 75pts whilst a 10 man Militarum Temptus Scion squad comes in at 130. Both have some version of orders, both have the same stat line. Scions gain krak grenades, deepstrike and move through cover but loose objective secured. IMHO the veterans are about a point under-costed and the scions are about 1.5-2 pts over-costed. So that leaves Arbitrators in the happy place of about 9-10 pts. Some other comparisons, Tau fire warriors are 9 pts, eldar guardians are 9pts. marine scouts are 11 pts. ork boyz with 'eavy armour are 10pts.

So probably leaving Arbitrators at 10 pts wouldn't be terrible but they would need a force multiplier like combat drills to justify not dropping them to 9pts. Bring the response team down from 15pts to about 12pts inline with marine scouts and scions.

A few loop hole popped up when I looked at your codex. The Response team as written can take 4 executioners with heavy bolters, and maybe I have read this wrong but then 4 models can take special weapons as well. Shroud grenades seem to work with bikes, this leads to a combo which gives them 2+ cover save; shroud grenades from a character on bike +2 cover save, Proctor with skilled rider +1 cover save, jink 4+ cover save. It's a cool combo but did you intend for bikes to be getting around with a 2+ cover save?

Anyway, as I said before you've done a sterling job of bringing Arbites to the table.

Thanks for your continued interest and further input. Let's deal with your comments & concerns in order:

Combat Drills will probably stay, though I am trying to simplify them in order to make them easier to use and understand.

Thanks for the points analysis. I will definitely keep it in mind along with similar things I have done when I am updating.

Also, the loophole you suggest is quite solidly closed if you read it carefully. The options for the Response Team state:

"Up to four Arbitrators may replace their Arbites Combat Shotgun with one item from the Special Weapons List"
    "All Arbitrators in the unit may be upgraded to Executioners, replacing their Arbites combat shotguns with boltguns"
    "Up to four Executioners may replace their boltguns with heavy bolters"

Only Arbitrators can select from the Special Weapons list. Executioners aren't Arbitrators
    Only Arbites combat shotguns can be exchanged for Special Weapons. Executioners have boltguns.
    Only Executioners can get heavy bolters. Arbitrators aren't Executioners.

I was careful to word it that way so you didn't end up with a unit loaded to the gills with special & heavy weapons.

Well I've cobbled together some kind of BattleScribe file.

As I have never edited a BattleScribe file before it was quite a steep learning curve and I fully expect that the file is riddled with errors. That's OK, just let me know what they are and I'll work though them. You will need the codex in hand as I was not able to learn how to use the more advance Modifier function which moves options in and out of the list as you upgrade them. A simple example would be the replacing of carapace armour with power armour for the judge.

The file can be found here: Adeptus Arbites BattleScribe army file. To use it just paste the .CATZ file into your data folder. Generally you can find this under Users-> your name -> BattleScibe -> data -> Warhammer 40,000 7th Edition.

I have not added the special characters as I wanted to at least get the basic army list up and running.

Very happy for any feedback as I have already fixed a few points costs and weird duplications.

The soul blaze wouldn't make it a must take, the str and ap make it fairly balanced imho.
    Small blast, str3 ap- soul blaze, iirc soul blaze only works if it inflicts a wound first yes? The other option is to have the blast removed, and if the shot kills an enemy model, on a 4+ Place the small blast template on that model. Str 3 ap- hits to everything under there.
    Would be in keeping with the hi ex rounds dredd uses too.

It has been nearly a year since my last update to the Codex. Sorry for the long lull, but I think this new update will be worth the wait. I've taken a lot of the comments above, and from other sources, into account with the new update, as well as many of the more recent Codex releases. See first post for downloading options.

v1.4 Update Notes:

- Added the new Precinct Task Force Detachment, updated the Riot Response and Rapid Pursit Delegations, and added several new Formations to allow for the new style of Detachment building (like the Space Marine Gladius Strike Force or the Necron Decurion.)

- Combat Drills have been simplified a bit.

- Removed the Suppressive rule, replacing all references to it with either Pinning or Concussive.

- Changed the Crackdown special rule so that it causes 2 Wounds on successful To Wound rolls of 6. This should be simpler than the old version, without making them overpowered.

- Increased the range of the Implacable Advance Warlord Trait from 3" to 6".

- Removed all instances of units not taking up Force Org slots or multiple models/units making up a single Force Org slot. With multiple detachments and especially the new Precinct Task Force Detachment, such rules are no longer really necessary.

- Removed Shock Maul as standard equipment for the Personal Staff. Bailiffs are now the only ones who may take Shock Mauls, Power Mauls, Boltguns and Combat Shotguns.

- Gave the Garrison Preacher a Rosarius. Raised his cost accordingly.

- Added the Barrister to the Personal Staff, giving him a rule granting re-rolls of failed Leadership tests for Combat Drills within 6".

- Raised the cost of the Book of Precepts from 15 to 20 points.

- Removed the outdated reference to "heavy weapons" from the Combat Team's background text.

- Renamed the Executioner's "Implacable Advance" Combat Drill to "Implacable March" to avoid confusion with the Warlord Trait. Also changed it from granting Relentless to granting Slow and Purposful, making it a bit more of a tradeoff to use. Lowered their upgrade cost from 5 points to 3 points to compensate.

- Added the "Fire Port Array" to the list of Special Rules on the Arbites Chimera's Dataslate

- Added an option for the Arbites Taurox to be modified to be open-topped.

- Updated Joseff Spartacus' Demolition Man special rule to bring it in line with the 6th Edition damage table, including making it possible for him to cause an "Explodes" result with his Armour Piercing rounds or Breaching Charges.

- Removed the 'Pursuit of Justice' special rule as it was no longer very meaningful with the new Precinct Task Force Detachment.

- Added an option for Penal Legion Beastmen to replace their lasguns with laspistols and close combat weapons. I also made Frenzon a bit more lethal to help compensate - it now causes a single Wound rather than a single S3 hit for each 1 rolled.

- Clarified Shroud Grenades so that they are always used before the unit does any other shooting, thus retaining the intended negative consequence of Snap Shots only for the rest of the unit. Also added a clause that the Shrouded rule is lost if the unit decides to Jink, thus preventing a combo whereby they were able to easily obtain a 2+ Cover Save by Jinking and being affected by Shroud Grenades, which was unintended. (Also, dodging around behind a smoke screen just doesn't seem like it would add much protection.)

- Updated the restriction for Fire Support Teams so that no more than one Team per Detachment may be given a Lascannon or Plasma Cannon.

- Updated Judge Schindler's Spacebourne Precinct rule to better mesh with 7th Edition Army Building philosopy.

- Added a line to Detective Gotham's A Law Unto Himself special rule stating that he may never be your army's Warlord.

- Reworded Detective Gotham's Harlequin Enmity rule to reflect the release of Codex: Eldar Harlequins and to make it more clear that his removal as a casualty is simply not able to fulfill the requirements for any Objective.

- Simplified the wording for Detective Gotham's Grapnel Gun & Glide Cloak.

New version uploaded. See first post.

v1.5 Update Notes:

- Added the Mobile Precinct Fortress as a new Lord of War option. It has been designed with lots of options so as to allow you to use something like a Land Raider, Spartan, Crassus or Mastadon model to represent it, or to go wild and convert/kitbash/scratch-build your own model.

- Updated the Precinct Task Force to allow 0-3 Auxiliary choices per Core Choice (changed from 1+ with no restrictions). I decided to remove the requirement of 1+ so you could focus on just Core if you wanted, and I decided to remove the unlimited option after adding the Mobile Precinct Fortress to prevent spamming of them outside of Unbound style. You should still be able to squeeze most of the different Formations into a single Precinct Task Force if you want.

- Updated the "Precision Drill" Command Benefit to require your Warlord to be part of the Detachment and on the table when it is used.

- Changed "Legends of the Arbites" from a Command choice to an Auxiliary choice. It really should have been that way from the start.

- Updated the the cost of upgrading a Detective to a Psyker - he now pays 25 points for ML1 and a Force Weapon, and 50 points for ML2 and a Force Weapon.

- Updated Web Weapons to reflect the new rules from Codex Genestealer Cults. Updated Web Weapon costs to reflect these changes.

- Added the Web Pistol as an option in the Ranged Weapons wargear list.

- Added an option to include up to 10 additional Penal Legionnaires - updated the cost of upgrading to Beastmen and adding Frenzon to reflect this.

- Added a restriction to the Book of the Law that it cannot be used while the bearer is falling back. I doubt their fellow Arbitors would take much heart from their reading as they flee...

Hey brother! Do you have plans to make an 8th edition version? I'm gonna try out Haravikk's version next week :-)

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showth...deptus+arbites

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3