Page 58 of 61 FirstFirst ... 8 48 56 57 58 59 60 ... LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,160 of 1207

Thread: General TV Discussion

Re: General TV Discussion

Yeah, and not even that. In most cases it's little parables and stories without any sort of pay-off or much significance at all.

I just finished the first season. Erm... sure, overall it was okay. WAY too much gunplay I think. Too much gore for not much reason. Much of the dialogue overdone and insignificant without being believable insignificant chatting. Well, a ton of stuff happens, all of which at some point I felt like I've seen it a few times before. I know that's on purpose to an extent, but... yeah. It was okay.

It's almost as bad as when a character says, "As you already know..."
    Quote Originally Posted by Atrahasis View Post
    Ours is not to reason why, ours is but to glue and buy.
    Quote Originally Posted by FraustyTheSnowman View Post
    Anything else I have to say has already been said by Col Shaw...listen to the lego man, he's wise.
    "Ember of Dreams"
    http://www.amazon.com/Ember-Dreams-C...0408773&sr=1-1

Watching Friends again. I loved it in my early teens (because of course), now I try to get a more complete picture of the whole show. I was really surprised how much boardgaming they did in the first season especially. And I was surprised how funny it is.

Let's see, what did I watch apart from that in terms of tv shows. Oh, right, Bob's Burgers. New season started, wasn't happy with it until the latest episode (the christmas one). Apart from that one they all were pretty much the same old "it's okay to be different" thing, and while this of course is a large part of the show there's GOT to be more than that old thing.

South Park's new big overarching storyline over each season is something I don't like much. Very frustrating to watch every other week. I guess it would be more clever to wait until the season's over and then watch it all in one go and also judge it as such. Having spieodes meander about endlessly robs South Park of its great strength of getting to the point snappily.

I watched that show in which Gerard Depardieu and his mischievous chef friend travel Europe and eat everything. It's so weird, it's slightly insane, but it's just so captivating and relaxing to watch.

I finished watching every episode of Adventure Time yesterday now I'm trying to figure out what to binge-watch next.

Just found out today that a staple of my television diet when I was a kid is coming back, Duck Tales. Evidently it will be on Disney XD next summer.http://screenrant.com/ducktales-rebo...review-images/

I've just finished the first season of Westworld and I highly recommend it.

Chapter Master

Quote Originally Posted by Daemonslave View Post
    I do to, but with some caveats. You need a strong stomach in parts, as it is a HBO Game of Throne's style T&A and Blood show.
    The people in episode 1 seem like simply horrible human beings, but the unfolding story is interesting despite that.
    ----------------------------------
    And lo, the Return!

I don't know if it's all the anime I've watched, but I'm really put off by America's obsession with stories revolving around ******* protagonists who never actually improve themselves.

I only got through the first 2 seasons of breaking bad for instance.

I prefer my protagonists to have self realisation and positive character growth.

I don't really see 'what kind of even more terrible thing can I do next' as character development...
    "Humanity's Insignificance pales in comparison to its Ego." (Sir Rumplestiltskin)

"The capacity to think does not assign importance to your thoughts, it merely indicates you can." (Sir Rumplestiltskin)

Chapter Master

Quote Originally Posted by Hellebore View Post
    I don't know if it's all the anime I've watched, but I'm really put off by America's obsession with stories revolving around ******* protagonists who never actually improve themselves.

I only got through the first 2 seasons of breaking bad for instance.

I prefer my protagonists to have self realisation and positive character growth.

I don't really see 'what kind of even more terrible thing can I do next' as character development...
    That's kind of unfair in this particular instance. Almost none of the people in episode one are protagonists. Most of them aren't even important. But self realization is... rather important (and that's all I'm going to say, because this is show that shouldn't be spoiled at all).

But then I watch almost no TV, partly because explosions substitute for story most of the time.

I am looking forward to the finale of Dirk Gently this weekend, but after the last two weeks, I kind of expect it to end with a wet splat (and I'm at least partly looking forward to it because it will be the finale). I'm not sure why they went with the scrawny, hyper British guy they chose for the pudgy, dour Dirk (Svlad Cjelli) Gently, but he increasingly annoys me, as does Frodo. It was interesting to follow the random assortment of things happening during the show, but it increasingly lacks much depth or meaning, just sort of dark for the sake of being sort of dark.
    And lo, the Return!

The only things I've been watching in the gap we were offline has been either educational or cartoons. I've watched a little anime, but it has mainly been light stuff. For example I'm most of the way through the most recent Astroboy series. I have also been watching Puzzle and Dragons X on a regular basis. To be honest the dark show I've watched recently has been Metalocalype.

Lurking in the dark... in the void between worlds....

Quote Originally Posted by Daemonslave View Post
    Really? I was underwhelmed by it. It's dull and predictable.

Humans deals with some of the same issues in a better way and is the better show.

Shows I can recommend watched during the Great downtime.

Orphan Black Season 4
    Jessica Jones
    Killjoys Season 2
    Mr Robot Season 1

I've also just started watching The Expanse. It's a very long time since I've seen a space based SF this good on TV. Shame it's on Netflix in the UK though and not Sy-Fy as it was in the USA.
    Quote Originally Posted by philbrad
    As ever WINTERMUTE speaks the truth

Chapter Master

So the Dirk Gently finale happened... and wow, underwhelming is not even the word. It was 15 minutes of resolution coupled with 10 minutes of set up for the following season and a boatload of filler and dark. I'm intensely curious what it would have looked like if it had not been renewed for a second season.

Probably Bart having a different use for her 'last two bullets,' I'd wager. And far less handwaving to tie everything up in a neat package.
    And lo, the Return!

Chapter Master theunwantedbeing's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wintermute View Post
    I've also just started watching The Expanse. It's a very long time since I've seen a space based SF this good on TV. Shame it's on Netflix in the UK though and not Sy-Fy as it was in the USA.
    Yeah its a very well made show and sticks pretty well to the books it's based on.

I have no issues with it being shown on a channel that doesn't have advert breaks and doesn't put adverts over the show.....I guess it does help crack down on piracy though, certainly puts me off trying to avoid spoilers and watch a show when it airs in the US rather than having to wait months or even years for it to turn up on UK TV.

Dark Matter is a pretty decent watch as well.
    Plan B kill it with fire
    Meat is Murder tasty, tasty murder
    Quote Originally Posted by RanaldLoec View Post
    I would have to agree with The Unwantedbeing as he is a paragon of sense and reason in an unreasonable environment.

Quote Originally Posted by theunwantedbeing View Post
    Yeah its a very well made show and sticks pretty well to the books it's based on.
    Well is should stick to the books as the authors are also the screenwriters and producers of the show.

Quote Originally Posted by theunwantedbeing View Post
    Dark Matter is a pretty decent watch as well.
    No its not - its cheap and cliched and suspect it worked better as a comic.

Quote Originally Posted by Voss View Post
    So the Dirk Gently finale happened... and wow, underwhelming is not even the word. It was 15 minutes of resolution coupled with 10 minutes of set up for the following season and a boatload of filler and dark. I'm intensely curious what it would have looked like if it had not been renewed for a second season.

Probably Bart having a different use for her 'last two bullets,' I'd wager. And far less handwaving to tie everything up in a neat package.
    I had hopes for this show. Even with the infamous Max Landis writing it and all his various writing hangups. Shame to hear it ended poorly.
    Here is a link to the WarSeer Forum FAQ. Please read it. Want to support WarSeer? Here's how.

Blood for the Blood God!: My Word Bearers Plog

Chapter Master

Quote Originally Posted by blackcherry View Post
    I had hopes for this show. Even with the infamous Max Landis writing it and all his various writing hangups. Shame to hear it ended poorly.
    It was pretty uneven throughout to be honest. The biggest hangups were the main character was... Todd (Frodo), the titular character was completely unrelated to the character in the novels, and someone took a very British series and Americanized it until it was completely unrecognizable. This isn't a complaint that it didn't follow the books, but that the tone and feel were completely different, and was essentially 'We've secretly replaced Frodo's afterlife with Seattle, and it was terrible, awful, no good, very bad day filled with ultraviolence and attempts at whimsical psychosis.'
    And lo, the Return!

Quote Originally Posted by Voss View Post
    It was pretty uneven throughout to be honest. The biggest hangups were the main character was... Todd (Frodo), the titular character was completely unrelated to the character in the novels, and someone took a very British series and Americanized it until it was completely unrecognizable. This isn't a complaint that it didn't follow the books, but that the tone and feel were completely different, and was essentially 'We've secretly replaced Frodo's afterlife with Seattle, and it was terrible, awful, no good, very bad day filled with ultraviolence and attempts at whimsical psychosis.'
    Sounds like a Max Landis project then.

"Can we get it to spec, under budget and add some really annoying **** that nobody will like? Yes we can!"
    Here is a link to the WarSeer Forum FAQ. Please read it. Want to support WarSeer? Here's how.

Blood for the Blood God!: My Word Bearers Plog

Watched a couple of episodes of the Grand Tour. For me, top gear jumped the shark ages ago, with its more obvious scripting and the lads becoming characters they play rather than themselves. Here, with the grand tour its more of the same - the opportunity (and money) to do something different was here but it hasn't been taken. Its virtually identical to top gear but without the copyright bits, but even then they have an 'unbranded' version with a knowing wink at the camera.
    I guess they know what fans want, and its more of the same, which they deliver. For me though, its what stopped top gear from becoming a must watch to a 'what else is on?' and its been dialled up. Shame.

I've seen four episodes to find The Grand Tour and was thoroughly entertained by them. It doesn't pretend to be anything else then a more expensive episode of what I'd expect from Top Gear as it used to be.

As for Dirk Gently I'll watch it. Well it can't be worse than the dreadful BBC adaptation which missed out huge chunks of the first book. If the character of Dirk in the new US version doesn't mirror the original ie a weird alien time traveller who has a time machine disguised as police phone box, then I'll know they have got it very wrong.

Not a typical series by any means, but I recently started watching Black Mirror. All I knew was that Charlie Brooker (whose cynical comedy I tend to enjoy) wrote it, but wasn't sure what to expect at any rate. So far (just started the 2nd series) I'm thoroughly impressed. For those unaware, every episode has a completely seperate story focussing on the role of technology in some dystopian future (the black mirror of the title refers to the dark screens of smartphones and computers - given the increasing role of those in our lives, the scenarios also represent a dark reflection of the present). Fairly heavy show, but as each episode very much stands alone (although I believe later ones will share ideas with previous episodes), it really isn't meant to be binge watched. As a comparison, the second episode of the first series reminded me of (and was about as uplifting as) Requiem for a Dream. Anyway, it genuinely is an excellent show.

As a palate cleanser, I've decided to finally watch the full series of Futurama, rather than the random episodes I had seen before. Nice and enjoyable.

\m/ Metalhead of Warseer \m/

"War is not about who is right, but who is left"
    - Ad finem temporum -

Page 58 of 61 FirstFirst ... 8 48 56 57 58 59 60 ... LastLast