Page 60 of 61 FirstFirst ... 10 50 58 59 60 61 LastLast
Results 1,181 to 1,200 of 1209

Thread: General TV Discussion

Re: General TV Discussion

I am in regular contact with citizens of the UK. Why has it taken so long to inform me about Garth Marenghi's Darkplace? :O

Lurking in the dark... in the void between worlds....

Who? What?

Never heard of it
    Quote Originally Posted by philbrad
    As ever WINTERMUTE speaks the truth

Chapter Master theunwantedbeing's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sigur View Post
    I am in regular contact with citizens of the UK. Why has it taken so long to inform me about Garth Marenghi's Darkplace? :O
    Shame mostly, and fear that we'll be seen as weird or having something seriously wrong with us.
    That and it's 6 episodes from back in 2004 and we've all mostly forgotten it existed, that place in our memories filled up with whatever the offshoot shows of a similar style of humour were called.

On an unrelated note, has anyone seen Iron Fist yet?
    Plan B kill it with fire
    Meat is Murder tasty, tasty murder
    Quote Originally Posted by RanaldLoec View Post
    I would have to agree with The Unwantedbeing as he is a paragon of sense and reason in an unreasonable environment.

It's on Netflix so the likelihood that I'll get to see it is very low.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Because the work of Garth Marenghi is so radical, so risky, so dangerous, so goddamn crazy, that one must be cautious about casually recommending it to anyone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inquisitor Engel View Post
    There are WAY better outlets for your sexual frustration on the Internet than Necrons.
    The Lost and the Discounted: Photobucket killed my PLOG

Quote Originally Posted by theunwantedbeing View Post
    On an unrelated note, has anyone seen Iron Fist yet?
    Yes. I'm up to episode 6. Ignore all the critics its a good show.

Even Mrs Wintermute is hooked by it?

Banned

I personally avoid TV like the plague. its just dull and filled with recycled garbage comedies with no humour what so ever.
    but thats me personally. I just can't stand seeing Big brother series 5000
    I'm a celebrity big brother
    I'm a celebrity get me out of here
    im a celebrity in big brother get me out of here bake off
    etc etc etc etc etc
    then you get garbage like Big Bang Theory and STILL re runs of friends and repeats of the simpsons
    GAH!

Quote Originally Posted by Denny View Post
    Because the work of Garth Marenghi is so radical, so risky, so dangerous, so goddamn crazy, that one must be cautious about casually recommending it to anyone.
    That must be it. Thank god the Peruvians 'got it'.

It's good fun and runs just as long as it should. Fun idea. It's got that mystery science theater 3000 vibe to it mixed with ...well, the office, because that was a big thing then.

I've heard good things about Ironfist or whatever that comic thing is called. Maybe I'll watch it some time. Gotta overcome my dislike for netflix productions and those comicbooks things some day, I guess. Because it seems like that's all there bloody is.

@jamesvalentine: I think this is just the right thread for you then. Yes, BBT is garbage. Friends is good. The Simpsons ....vary. Last night I caught a 1993 episode. Perfectly fine. And a 1998 episode. Perfectly fine. I also saw about 3 hours of the Family Guy/simpsons cross thing. It sucked. But that's Family Guy for ya.

Banned

Family guy USED to be ok...but when I started watching later series it seemed they were just stringing out Jew jokes...

I've heard good things about Ironfist or whatever that comic thing is called. Maybe I'll watch it some time. Gotta overcome my dislike for netflix productions and those comicbooks things some day, I guess. Because it seems like that's all there bloody is.
    Have you watched Jessica Jones? I'd say it was the strongest and least comic-booky of the shows.
    (I'm a massive comics nerd of course, but I'd still recommend that show to anyone. Daredevil is also very good)
    Quote Originally Posted by Inquisitor Engel View Post
    There are WAY better outlets for your sexual frustration on the Internet than Necrons.
    The Lost and the Discounted: Photobucket killed my PLOG

Chapter Master

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Shield View Post
    Just finished watching the first new Samurai Jack in 15 years.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
    So...? Good? Bad? Did it finally manifest a point and purpose to the wanderings of the foolish samurai?
    ----------------------------------
    And lo, the Return!

Ironfist is worth watching, but it helps to watch the Marvel shows in the order they were originally screened because they are all linked. Instead of regarding them as 'comic book' shows think of them as genre shows eg Daredevil is a vigilante show, Jessica Jones is a private investigator show, Luke Cage is a 'blackploitation' show. Alternatively just veiw them as drama shows, because they are.

And in defence of Netflix shows I can recommend Stranger Things and The Expanse - the latter a brilliant SF show as good as Babylon 5 and BattleStar Galactica inspired by a series of (very good) novels.

The Expanse is continuing to kick ass.

I'm also loving the genuine diversity of humanity we see in every level of government and military.

In my guilty pleasure basket, the last episode ever of Grimm screens this friday. It was co developed by David Greenwalt and Jim Kouf, both ex Buffy/Angel alumni and has a bit of a feel from those, albeit darker and less parable -y.

The effects have been pretty good, although the story has sprawled and rambled all over the place. It is a compelling setting though and often an interesting world is all something needs to keep me engaged.
    "Humanity's Insignificance pales in comparison to its Ego." (Sir Rumplestiltskin)

"The capacity to think does not assign importance to your thoughts, it merely indicates you can." (Sir Rumplestiltskin)

Glad to have seen the return of Line of Duty to the screen yesterday, now on BBC1 for its fourth series. I remember deliberatly not watching the show originally, thinking it was just another cop drama, but I was sorely mistaken in that: it's utterly fantastic. Although there are some (occasionally literally) explosive, adrenalin fuelled moments, it is a testament to the writing that the tensest scenes have often taken place in a police interview room with no other props than an audio recorder and a folder with some paperwork. Although I don't know if it can ever match the superb second series, it certainly remains surprising, detailed and filled with characters you can never fully trust. Already counting down the days to the next installment.

The week before also had the return of The Last Kingdom. The first series felt a bit hasty, as the show covered two of the books (I believe, not having read them yet) into just 6 episodes - important characters came and went before you ever really got to know them. The fast pace remains, but in a manner that feels less rushed. It's a decent show overall, far from perfect but enjoyable enough to watch. Can never get my head around the stupidity of costume design though, from the plethora of leather armour to a sword carried on a back and the need for Danes to wear fur cloaks even on a warm summer's day. Not to mention the square Saxon shields. Surely, if you're going to buy or create a bunch of gear, it'll cost about as much to do it right? Yeah, I know, it's not a documentary.. but quite some people will get most of their information from tv and film, not to mention the fact that a fairly recent BBC documentary on the Celts was similarly poor concerning costumes, not just with the usual drab-coloured barbaric Gauls, but it even contained shots of Caesar's Roman legions which were clad in the typical Early Imperial segmented armour, fifty years before it first appeared and over a century before it was likely in any common usage. Ah well...
    Last edited by C-Coen; 27-03-2017 at 09:12.

\m/ Metalhead of Warseer \m/

"War is not about who is right, but who is left"
    - Ad finem temporum -

Quote Originally Posted by Hellebore View Post
    The Expanse is continuing to kick ass.

I'm also loving the genuine diversity of humanity we see in every level of government and military.
    The UK doesn't get Season 2 until, well later this year On Netflix.

Quote Originally Posted by Hellebore View Post
    In my guilty pleasure basket, the last episode ever of Grimm screens this friday. It was co developed by David Greenwalt and Jim Kouf, both ex Buffy/Angel alumni and has a bit of a feel from those, albeit darker and less parable -y.

The effects have been pretty good, although the story has sprawled and rambled all over the place. It is a compelling setting though and often an interesting world is all something needs to keep me engaged.
    And the UK is about five weeks behind with Season 6 of Grimm - but I enjoy reading the live tweets from the Writers/Producers/Cast when it screens in the US (West and East Coast).

I've just finished Iron Fist and still think a lot of the criticism was unjust, especially the torrent from contributors to IO9.com

Quote Originally Posted by Wintermute View Post
    I've just finished Iron Fist and still think a lot of the criticism was unjust, especially the torrent from contributors to IO9.com
    My grips about the show were:
    • Danny isn't a very interesting character and he's too dumb most of the time and he doesn't look like somebody who is a great martial artist
    • Claire is in it too much and they're seemingly turning her into a superhero
    • The fights are generally not that great, especially when Danny is taking part

Beyond that it's pretty good.
    But it's the worst of the bunch of marvel shows so far, although it's overall better than the end arc of Luke Cage when Diamond...back?man?whatever? appears.
    Plan B kill it with fire
    I would have to agree with The Unwantedbeing as he is a paragon of sense and reason in an unreasonable environment.

Quote Originally Posted by theunwantedbeing View Post
    My grips about the show were:
    • Danny isn't a very interesting character and he's too dumb most of the time and he doesn't look like somebody who is a great martial artist
    • Claire is in it too much and they're seemingly turning her into a superhero
    • The fights are generally not that great, especially when Danny is taking part

I didn't have an issue with the character of Danny but I will agree the fights could have been better and should have been. Its not just that the fights are not as good as Daredevil but they are not on a par with Arrow or even Blindspot.

Don't have a problem with Claire, she is necessary to link all the (Defender) shows together.

@Denny: Nah, haven't watched either. I'm sure they're both good actually, because everybody says so. Some day I'll probably watch at least Jessica Jones.

@Wintermute: Yeah, I actually may give The Expanse a try.

I watched the first few episodes of "Love" on Netflix because I heard it's very genuine and feels natural how everything develops and such. And it kinda does I think. It's just that the setting is so alien. I think it's very, very specific to California. It's not that the characters don't seem genuine, because they do and it even tends to fit with people I met and all, but again their lives seem very alien. And apart from that they're pretty horrible. It's not like I have a problem with that, because Seinfeld and Community repeatedly make a point that their characters are kinda obnoxious, and of course it's the very core of ALL good tv shows of the past 20 years (Sopranos, True Detective, Mad Men, Deadwood, ...) but somehow it's off-putting about Love. I don't know, last night I thought "okay, I have to stop watching that now.". Now that I think about it I can't really put my finger on why I wouldn't want to go on with it. There are just some things which are just unnerving. The main dude is kinda annoying as well, and so are his friends. I'm sure that lives in Hollywood are like that, but it just looks far-fetched to me. The whole "we get together and make up theme songs for films which have none" sounds like the most hipster-y thing possible. Oh, and the throwing-blurays-out-of-the-car-while-proclaiming-Pretty-Woman-to-be-a-lie. That stuff feels like the most basic rom-com thing. The threesome thing was pretty neat, but the resolve was so weird. There is so much potential for things going wrong with three-somes and the main character gets hung up on that? It seemed weird. Maybe it was well resolved, because the reason why he got out of it was so unexpected (not the fact, but the reason he gets so hung up on that. I mean it shows that he has moral standards and such. Maybe it was just for establishing the character.). The actual reason I stopped watching last night was a point at which the girl is starting to warm up towards the main guy and the the very same moment he meets some girl at a party. That's such an unnecessary obstacle and you alreadyknow that it will cost everybody time without helping the story in any way.

Maybe it would help if it was more people talking and less showing of milieus?

Anybody else watching that show?

So series 2 of The Expanse is very disappointing and ends with a whimper.
    There is a cameo from Adam Savage in the final episode though, no you won't miss it, no he wasn't in the earlier episodes and no you're not supposed to remember that there were other crew who are now gone and not there on the ship anymore....Topless Amos though, so there's that I guess.

Not really sure where it's all gone wrong.....
    Plan B kill it with fire

Banned

Hostel/Shelter I am currently in has no TV.
    I am now a happy bunny to say the least. no brain rot box.

Page 60 of 61 FirstFirst ... 10 50 58 59 60 61 LastLast