Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: I was a teenage Goth (wargaming the Migration Period)

I was a teenage Goth (wargaming the Migration Period)

The Migration Period (ca 300-800 AD) was in Europe characterized by wave after wave of of peoples migrating from the north and east and trying to enter the Roman empire, peaceful or by force. Germanics, Slavs, Iranian/Aryan and Mongoloid groups all came, in small tribes or larger federations. Some of the peoples that established themselves within the Roman empire were Saxons, Franks, Langobards, Goths, Vandals and Huns.
    The Goths probably started their migration from the south of Sweden, from the area called Götaland and the island of Gotland some time between 300 BC and 100 AD. They slowly made their way south east and ended up by the northern shores of the Black Sea in the late 4th century, on time to be some of the first to be steam rolled by the Huns when they broke out of the eurasian plains. The survivors fled south and begged entry into the Roman Empire in 376 AD. They were admitted, but so mistreated by Roman officials that they soon rebelled. For a long while both before and after this they had an on-again-off-again relationship with the Romans, often raiding, sometimes at war, sometimes enlisting as foederati in the Roman armies. In 378 they won a crushing victory over the Eastern Roman army at Adrianople, killing emperor Valens, and in 410 they sacked Rome after having moved to the Western Roman Empire. Some Goths (Visigoths, the west Goths) ended up setting up a kingdom in Spain and southern France, while others (Ostrogoths, the east Goths) set up theirs in Italy.
    There doesn't seem to have been a sharp break between the Roman Empire and the "barbarians", but rather a slow morphing that started with Imperial Rome and ended with a feudal medieval Europe a few hundred years after. The kind of vague continuum that so many people, including some historians, dislike, since it makes it harder to put a label on.

I have started the army by painting up some random old minis I had, as well as some I've cast myself in a Prince August mould. I've also just received some Gripping Beast Saxons and Warlord Games Auxilias, so we'll soon see some plastics here, as well as some Mirliton/Grenadier Steppe Raiders.
    I have bought the Hail Caesar book and will probably go for that ruleset, but with slightly smaller units than they recommend.

I do like goth rock, at least the old classics by The Sisters of Mercy, The Cure and The Fields of the Nephilim. The army may end up as another group of Germanics, but I couldn't resist the thread title.

Chapter Master

Re: I was a teenage Goth (wargaming the Migration Period)

Great title. Which ones did you cast?
    Do you like free wargames?
    http://bloodandspectacles.blogspot.com/

Thanks. The ones there are multiples of are cast, i e two-handed axe guy, spear and cloak guy, and jumping half-naked guy.

Here's a suggestion for some cheap archer conversions, using Roman auxilia heads I'd not otherwise use. Does anything immediately jump out at you as not fitting? Oh yeah, I don't suggest painting them green.

You weren't lying about the title.

Nice to see you tackling another project. That home-cast archer in the right might fit a Path to Glory(?) warband very, very well. Nice stuff so far!

Great new project!
    I have bought the Hail Caesar book and will probably go for that ruleset, but with slightly smaller units than they recommend.
    That's the great thing about Hail Ceasar (or Impetus, for that matter): if you want 12 models to a unit or 24, it doesn't really matter, whatever suits your needs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Salty
    What the Modsticker said.

Great new project!
    That's the great thing about Hail Ceasar (or Impetus, for that matter): if you want 12 models to a unit or 24, it doesn't really matter, whatever suits your needs.

Great looking stuff mrtn! I really like the individual touches you've given each model. Despite a few poses being the same, they've got plenty of personal character.

Quote Originally Posted by Codsticker View Post
    Great new project!

Codsticker, do I need to refer you to the posting guidelines for double posting?

What do you guys think of Hail Ceasar as a game?
    ToFP PLOG http://www.warseer.com/forums/showth...37#post7281537

Quote Originally Posted by Darnok View Post
    I... umm... will ban you!
    No wonder that you thought 2nd ed 40K sucked. You weren't even playing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramius4 View Post
    Codsticker, do I need to refer you to the posting guidelines for double posting?
    Must be a system error. ....

What do you guys think of Hail Ceasar as a game?
    I only played the Hail Caesar (or rather Black Powder) derivate Pike&Shotte but they're all based on the same Warmaster ancestry. Very good system, very playable and copared to stuff like Fields of Glory and such the "faffing about" when it comes to movement, maneuvering and so on is cut down to a minimum. It certainly is not for the tournament crowds or for the people who insist in units always acting once per turn and exactly the way the players would like them to act. Not a huge fan of using 28mm figures with any of these rule sets because you need lots of units and lots of space. It's a battle game after alll and should look accordingly.

Good game.

Thanks guys! Just as sigur I haven't tried HC yet, but I've played Pike & Shotte and that's a sister game and should play quite similar. It's more focused on you having to deal with the current tactical situation (due to half your army doing something other than what you expected), rather than having grand strategies or list building.

I finished a unit of Huns (or Avars or Alans or something...). The models are old Grenadier Steppe Raiders from Mirliton I picked up second hand (but NIB) a while ago. Painting wise it was a conscious decision to use garish colours but dark dingy washes, to highlight the idea of barbarians dressed in robbed and dirty silks and other finery.

Chapter Master

I wonder how old those sculpts are? They look a bit... cartoonish?
    Do you like free wargames?
    http://bloodandspectacles.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by sigur View Post
    *a fair review* Good game.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mrtn View Post
    Thanks guys! Just as sigur I haven't tried HC yet, but I've played Pike & Shotte and that's a sister game and should play quite similar. It's more focused on you having to deal with the current tactical situation (due to half your army doing something other than what you expected), rather than having grand strategies or list building.
    I may have to give it a try based on what you and Sigur have said. I get my fill of list building and such from Warhammer, so having this sort of game to play might be a good idea for me.

Quote Originally Posted by mrtn View Post
    I finished a unit of Huns (or Avars or Alans or something...). The models are old Grenadier Steppe Raiders from Mirliton I picked up second hand (but NIB) a while ago. Painting wise it was a conscious decision to use garish colours but dark dingy washes, to highlight the idea of barbarians dressed in robbed and dirty silks and other finery.
    I was almost shocked to see the colors you used until I scrolled back up to read what you wrote (yes I looked at the pics first) Normally you use a far more restrained color palette unless you're doing heraldry. Still very good paint jobs

Quote Originally Posted by Easy E View Post
    The faces remind of how asian people were depicted in comic books during the 40's and 50's.

Quote Originally Posted by Easy E View Post
    They're from the Fantasy Warriors line, so 1991ish.
    I may have to give it a try based on what you and Sigur have said. I get my fill of list building and such from Warhammer, so having this sort of game to play might be a good idea for me.
    It almost has too little list building, I'm contemplating what list to use for my Goths at the moment, and I notice I'm still stuck in a Warhammer mentality, where it matters if your models have armour or not and end up in different units, not just having the unarmed guys in the back of the unit.
    But yeah, cool armies are more important than mm's and surprising magic combos.

Edit: If you check out Engel's stuff he's done some cool looking fantasy gaming with Hail Caesar, trolls vs dwarves and gnomes. http://kampgruppe-engel.blogspot.se/...4gglavsfantasy
    I was almost shocked to see the colors you used until I scrolled back up to read what you wrote (yes I looked at the pics first) Normally you use a far more restrained color palette unless you're doing heraldry. Still very good paint jobs
    Thanks.
    The faces remind of how asian people were depicted in comic books during the 40's and 50's.
    I guess they do. Still, they're fantasy models, and not a named nationality. And it's not as if they're alone, just look at the GW pygmies from the 80s.

I'm using Gripping Beast heads on Warlord Auxiliaries. on the first batch I just put them on a blob of GS and tried to sculpt around that, but now I pinned the head in place first, which means it's much easier to make a neck. The different heads have different neck joins, so you need to do it like this unless you want them all to look down at the ground.

Ooh, now these looks really snazzy. Are those the army painter flower tufts?

Would there have been archers with helmets but not much else? What about building a small amount of armour or a shirt up on the model?

Great thread!

Nice looking unit! My favorite is the guy with the red and blue shield in front. That blue is intense

I recently bought those army painter flower tufts too, and I'm loving them so far.

Quote Originally Posted by popisdead View Post
    Would there have been archers with helmets but not much else? What about building a small amount of armour or a shirt up on the model?

Great thread!
    Who knows. This is mainly a cheap way to get more archers. Thanks!

Nice looking unit! My favorite is the guy with the red and blue shield in front. That blue is intense

I recently bought those army painter flower tufts too, and I'm loving them so far.
    Thanks mate!

More models for the Goth army. One RPG archer, two Romans, three head-swapped orcs and the rest are plastic Saxons, but anyways...

You are starting to get a nice collection here now.

But I must say that the fact you have included those old homecast miniatures and you managed to get them into the same standard as modern miniatures are just phenomenal.
    I love you kit bashing and mixing of miniatures.

Keep em coming...

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast