Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Returning to Trollbloods

Chapter Master

Returning to Trollbloods

I've had a year focused on playing Menoth and learning them as a new faction, culminating in me taking them to the UK Nationals and finishing 3-4. That was after a year playing just trolls.

This year my plan is to play both factions having spent the time getting to play them more regularly and working on concentrating on certain lists to learn and then experimenting some more.

For trolls I pretty much have everything except at the moment for EBorka. I'm just painting up Dozer and Smigg as well as the 3 other units of Runeshapers I need to be able to field Runes of War. Up until now I've only played with the one, but I now get to try the normal version that many people run.

That list is

Pdoomshaper
    Earthborn
    Mulg
    Axer
    Mauler
    4 x Runeshapers
    Janissa
    Max Krielstone + UA

So far the key seems to be keeping the Earthborn alive. The Mauler can be sacrificed. I've used it against PVayl and the Runeshapers were great dealing with high defence Hax Hunters and also forcing the beasts that weren't killed on a turn into staying in position thanks to Force Lock.

At the same time I've also been experimenting with Massive Meat Mountain (MMM). At the moment I've been trying the basis EGrissel version, but I do want to try it with PGrissel and even EMadrak. Especially as my last game with them I forgot to feat for a number of turns.

That list is

EGrissel
    Mulg
    Axer
    Max Krielstone + UA
    2 x Max Warders
    Max Champions
    2 x Fellcallers
    Sorcerer

Dash is extremely important, but one of the issues I have had is masking Mulg due to his own deficient speed. It's one of the reasons I'm thinking of trying PGrissel, but also looking at swapping out Mulg and trying different heavies in his place.

So far I've won against Rahn and Stryker3 with the list, both by assassination, and lost on scenario vs Siege, but if that game had been timed either normally or deathclock I would have won. It was just because we played out to the end.

Past these two learning forces at the moment I'm very interested in Calandra's Elemental Communion (though that will have to wait until after February) and in trying Gunnbjorn for the first time especially when I get my first unit of Highwaymen.

Next weekend is an Exigence launch event so I'm looking at games with at least 4 warlocks and trying to get a lot of games in over the day.

Chapter Master

Re: Returning to Trollbloods

More and more PGrissel with MMM is looking doable. I've also been looking at whether I can run a version of Calandra's Elemental Communion tier 3 before getting more lights. As it stands I have 1 Pyre, 1 Winter, 1 Slag and 2 Storms already. Given what I'm painting at the moment I do have the option of using both troop choices for her - Runeshapers and Warders. I would certainly use whelps to try and keep a semblance of control. It's a stop gap as really I want at least 1 more pyre, 1 more Slag and another 2 Storms probably.

Veteran Sergeant

Hi,

I've been to this year's WTC and I can tell you I was paired 3 times with trolls. 2x MMM and 1xRunes of War. I play Circle Orboros and i lost all 3 games. Arguably, i had some cursed dice (it's not an escuse, just the facts) but even so the matchups were quite hard for me.

From what i can tell you, MMM is a nasty nasty list...if the opposing player can't crack armour, MMM wins, pure and simple, on attrition.

Keep us posted on your progress with trolls

Chapter Master

I played against Mmm at the nationals and just lost on time with Harby, largely because they couldn't get any threat on Harby so I martyred like mad after using fear of god on warder units. Previously I used Family reunion and that used to out attrition most things. I am looking at trying a Pgrissel version of Mmm this Sunday to see if that suits me better.

Veteran Sergeant

Great Keep us posted on the results please

Chapter Master

Well I played in the event and ended up getting the Troll coin and coming second overall. The launch events are primarily about achieving objectives rather than winning games and that's how I played the event. We were using Steamroller 2015 Beta scenarios so things were a little different.

First game was incursion versus Siege using Hunters Grim. I ended up pushing too far forward with Grim as I have an issue with both versions where I keep expecting him to do more with his gun than he does and he ended up assassinated.

Second game was a rare one against Minions. It was my opponent's first game vs trolls and he ended up playing E Grissel and Massive Meat Mountain. I as lucky with some of the rolls, particularly against Mulg, and I forgot that Goad only happens with Doomshaper so Mulg was a little more vulnerable than he needed to be. In the end I ground the game to get a scenario win because I wanted that for the points rather than an assassination victory I could have had with 3 champions onto Rask with nobody to dump damage to.

Third game was a Free for all and I took Calandra Elemental Evolution against Bradigus, Barnabus and EBorka. It as a strange game due to it being destruction, but with 4 players and scoring from 2nd player's second turn. I got to see a little of what the mass lights do and it convinced me that I definitely want more Slag trolls available. The game was won by Bradigus after Eborka gave everyone else 2 Cp early on and then the objectives were destroyed before anyone else got anything else in to contest so Bradigus teleported in to dominate.

Last game was versus Rasheth Tier with Jarl. I was primarily playing this to get one of the manipulations to get points that way and again I played Jarl too far up. I tried out Sons of Bragg and they got too tied up. I will try them again, but similarly my long riders got tied up with a beast and couldn't do enough damage.

My plan is to practice more with Runes and I'm working on painting Dozer before trying Gunnbjorn.

Chapter Master

I managed to get in some games against one of our local Legion players. He's had a good track record against me when I play Menoth, but he's not had much experience against Trolls. We ended up playing with him trying out against both MMM and ROW. I still haven't had chance to try a different version of MMM.

First game was MMM vs PVayl. I'd had a game vs PVayl before against another local player and so he wanted to see how he would fair. Only oddity of the list was a unit of Raptors who actually held up a zone very well.

It was a game where the armour of the list kept him at bay even despite me continuing to forget to feat. It was also the first game of the day where charging Krielstone bearers helped kill beasts. Eventually I had attritioned him down to just having Vayl left and got Mulg in to seal the assassination whilst also getting 5 cps having finally cleared my zone to be able to dominate whilst having a fellcaller parked in the other zone.

The second game was Saeryn vs ROW playing 2 Fronts. My plan was to use Forcelock to limit the moves of his beasts, especially after feat turn. I had to keep purifying to get rid of things like Banishing ward and used nearby models to get aoes onto things I was having issues targetting. Mulg died early due to poor placement behind a wall - he should have been back away from it to stop reach getting to him. I also sacrificed the Mauler without fury on him which was just odd. But I managed to keep the Earthborn alive and he goaded up the table to be able to take out a Scythean and Angelius in one turn. Doomshaper survived a spell assassination from Saeryn and the Earthborn got into Saeryn to finish her off.

That game was definitely tighter than the first and I need more practice on the positioning of walls. Forcelock is really useful, especially if you've managed to move enemy beasts via Rampager.

Chapter Master

Last night I tried out ROW against Ossyran with max invictors + UA, hypnos, max halberdiers +UA, Arcanist, 2 units of Stormfalls, Epic Eiryiss, Sylys, Aiyanna and Holt, Narn and a Magister.

Two and a half of the Runeshaper units got blasted away on his second turn as I ran up to try and put pressure on the zones. My tough rolls were appalling, but to an extent I expected the Runeshapers to die. I had got my beasts up and learned on positioning to get them sitting 1" behind the wall so as to limit reaches. There was a point of damage done to Mulg (which is always good, but ended up being irrelevant). Eiryiss did that by stripping off fortune and Elemental communion from him.

My next turn I figured that I had a chance of assassination as there was a string of infantry leading to Ossyan. I had the Earthborn and Mauler charge in to clear some halberdiers. The remaining functioning Runeshapers tried to make things easier with knockdowns, but didn't do much. The Krielstone pushed forward to give +1 Strength. Then Doomshaper went and moved forward, purified the field including Admonition off Ossyan (who was sitting on ARM 20 after focus) and then gave fortune and Rush to Mulg. I'd missed the point of damage so wouldn't have needed rush. Mulg promptly went up the field and got onto Ossyan doing 12 points of damage on his first attack and then 8 on his last affinity hit.

I went with Runes to see how it would cope and I could have bricked up more rather than go for the assassination, but Ossyan's feat would still probably be in effect on the next turn. I was happy when I saw the layers of infantry for Mulg to make his way up, but shouldn't have charged as it would have saved me a fury and also I didn't need it in the end.

Chapter Master

My first game of my new year game cycle (I start counting games for a year from 16 December) and it was ROW vs EHaley. This was against one of my regular opponents and he has been upping his game, though gave up on the notion of not using Stormwall or Ehaley earlier in the year. His list was more infantry and solo based than normal builds I've seen.

Ehaley
    Thorn
    Centurion
    Stormblades + 3 gunners + UA
    Alexia and Risen
    Gorman
    Anastasia di bray
    Eeiryiss
    Squire
    Gunmages + UA

I had my normal Runes as there was discussion on whether it could do well. What happened was a very tight game - against shooty heavy armies I need to figure a better plan for Runeshapers as it felt like I sacrificed 2 units though they did help hold up the Stormblades, got into the enemy zone to stop scoring and worked on knocking down and forcelocking the jacks. I also need a plan to properly hammer Thorn as my usual plan for arcnodes clearly doesn't work against Thorn with its ability. Even with the extra deployment there is still a desire to stay bricked up and that's even with me flanking the runeshapers to threaten zones.

Issues I faced were that due to the brick I ended up with timebomb and black oil affecting multiple beasts. That meant that the beasts weren't able to trample up the table. As it is I was able to get some useful kills - Gorman and Anastasia - with Mulg whilst Black oiled thanks to Fortune. Telekinesis also means that certain tying up tactics don't work so pushing Doomshaper into space I think he would be safe means I have to actually be even more cautious.

In the end I won thanks to an Alexia assassination failing and I was 2 CPs up thanks to dominating my own zone whilst the last of the Runeshapers held on over in his.

Chapter Master

Games 2 and 3 of this year and again 2 Runes of War games. I'd even finished Dozer and Smigg to start trying out Gunnbjorn, but no two more ROW games.

First game against Rasheth Chain Gang Tier and I pushed up with Doomshaper. What I learned was that I have absolutely no need for the Runeshapers to stand still to cast spells so moving them up to better cover the field is what I should be doing. Despite it being Doomies' feat turn I ended up being charged by a Sentry Titan - thanks to the objective giving him a free charge.

Second game was versus PVayl. Another beast heavy force, but this time I ended up sacrificing Mulg on second turn, but this then allowed me to take out Typhon and a Scythean with some Runeshapers and the Earthborn. I ended up pressuring Vayl and removing beasts before I could get one of the units of Runeshapers to blast into Vayl after the Earthborn had done a lot of damage to her.

I just got some Highwaymen so they now go on the table to get painted quickly. Looking forward to them with Calandra and Gunnbjorn.

Chapter Master

I tried a Gunnbjorn list with Highwaymen and a war wagon. Ended up playing 2 games against casters that were appalling for that list to face - Rahn (directing AOEs which screws up most of what the list does) and Saeryn (who being immune to AOEs meant I could do nothing against her).

Since then started a Journeyman using PGRim and Blitzer and Bomber. 4 games in and 50/50. It has issues with armour so PStryker was an issue though almost pulled off an assassination there. I also lost because of the losing the beasts and I could still have gotten a win if it was a normal game.

The new list I've been trying is Calandra Elemental tier. Only tier 3 because I don't want to use Mountain King in there.

My list is:

Calandra
    Runebearer
    3 x Slag Trolls
    3 x Storm Trolls
    2 x Pyre Trolls
    Winter Troll
    Krielstone Bearer Max + Elder
    Runeshapers
    Janissa
    Whelps

Played the first game against Butcher2 and managed an assassination. It's weird playing as a list as I'm happy to sacrifice beasts. Having the Winter troll in it was great as Rime really forces choices from your opponents if the beasts can just hang on. I managed to shut down 2 warjacks between it and disruption from the Storm trolls. Storm Troll blasts also worked very well clearing out Doom Reavers and Widowmakers. Janissa really just works to keep Calandra alive. Little tricky as it could limit her dodges, but stopping getting them in the first place is better.

At the moment I'm looking at MMM and Elemental as two lists to concentrate on, largely because it allows Mulg to be used in MMM and Elemental to use Janissa. If I'd use ROW but that uses both. Typical after I just finished painting the 4th unit of Runeshapers.

Chapter Master

Quote Originally Posted by Keravin View Post
    My list is:

Calandra
    Runebearer
    3 x Slag Trolls
    3 x Storm Trolls
    2 x Pyre Trolls
    Winter Troll
    Krielstone Bearer Max + Elder
    Runeshapers
    Janissa
    Whelps

Played the first game against Butcher2 and managed an assassination. It's weird playing as a list as I'm happy to sacrifice beasts. Having the Winter troll in it was great as Rime really forces choices from your opponents if the beasts can just hang on. I managed to shut down 2 warjacks between it and disruption from the Storm trolls. Storm Troll blasts also worked very well clearing out Doom Reavers and Widowmakers. Janissa really just works to keep Calandra alive. Little tricky as it could limit her dodges, but stopping getting them in the first place is better.
    That game sounds like a lot of fun! I have Butcher 2 based, and 18 Doom Reavers (), but I haven't used them yet. Also, there are no trollblood players in my group, sadly. Mostly just playing against Cryx whenever I get a chance, which is about once every couple of months.
    Quote Originally Posted by Herzlos View Post
    If the Catachan Arm Monster became codex legal I'd have a full army
    This would be a Plog if I weren't so lazy. (Updated September 2, 2013)

Chapter Master

Not faced Doom Reaver spam, but it should work ok against them with the amount of ranged ability it has. I'm ready to lose beasts each turn.

Chapter Master

I now have the beasts available to play Elemental Evolution, but still need to build the last two slag trolls.

Last night I tried out the list against EDeneghra's Cephalyx and Mechanithrall tier. An infantry spam force with a lot of recursion due to the stitch thralls and necrosurgeons. Basically I was seeing 6 Mechanithralls spawning per turn.

I ended up losing due to charging out of Killbox for a turn which allowed my opponent to go 2 CP ahead of me and then teleport the last contesting beast out of the zone to get a CP win. We didn't play timed turns nor deathclock and that would have made a big difference I feel. The actual list worked well, but my dice were atrocious - example on Calandra's feat turn I rolled a 1,1 to hit then rerolled a 1,1. I did get to see the Stone Scribe Elder charge in and take down the Deathjack, but it did leave him vulnerable to being targetted for the next few turns. After the use of the Winter troll spray I wonder if I want another one in the list. I'm wavering on whether I stick with pairing it with Meat Mountain or swap out Janissa from EE and go over to Runes of War as the pair.

Chapter Master

I now have all the models built for Elemental Evolution. First Steamroller of the year and I was trying out how Runes and Elemental Evolution paired up for me. That meant trying for the first time EE without Janissa, which was one of the reasons I lost the first game against PKreoss playing 2 Fronts. That and failing to jam a Vanquisher. Second game vs one of my usual opponents using PVayl and I used Runes playing Recon. Forgot Dark Sentinel and failed to kill a Scythean which cost me. Third game was Calandra vs Runes and was a grind. Just about won it on scenario on Fire Support, but that was partly because he didn't maximise Mulg so I was lucky. Final game vs Convergence which I'd not played before and I figured I needed armour cracking so went with Runes. Ended up playing against Syntherion in Incursion. Mulg died after killing two heavies, but that allowed the Earthborn to throw one at Syntherion and the Mauler to go in and pummel him.

Ran Fuel Cache with Elemental and Arcane Wonder with Runes. Didn't really use the Fuel Cache all that much, largely because I was so far up the board already.

Chapter Master

More games this week with Elemental Evolution. First game playing Destruction against Damiano with Croe's Cutthroats (Max), Steelhead Riflemen (Max), Boomhowlers (Max), Rocinante, Wrongeye and Snapjaw, Tactical Arcanist Corps and Aiyana and Holt. I figured the infantry clearing would work well and wanted to keep the pressure on. For me the issues were keeping Calandra alive, but also Croe's, Rocinante and Snapjaw. Boomhowlers pressed forward and I spent time clearing them out the zone and befuddling Snapjaw to go 2 CP up after taking out the objective. I managed to weather Calandra being shot at, but starcrossed helped keep her safe there. Eventually I took it on scenario taking down Wrongeye and pushing up the board to keep the pressure on.

Second game I knew I would probably lose as I started as I was playing against PVayl in incursion with the Calandra list again. The list is not suited to playing against most Legion lists because of the lack of infantry and the ways of increasing MAT or reduding DEF to mitigate against Starcrossed. Vayl's feat turn saw 3 lights taken out on my side, but I had managed to get one of the Scytheans stationary due to Rime on one of my Storm Trolls which the Scythean was unable to kill. My feat turn in response saw me go 2 CP up as I killed both Scytheans and a spell martyr to clear the space around two flags which I held. I put too much fury into the Krielstone then I needed to, hoping that he would kill a beast and I would be able to reap and use that as back up transfers. Unfortunately the damage done to beasts was negligible and Calandra was assassinated thanks to a chillered shredder close by and attacks from Typhon and a Seraph.

These games were still played with the non Janissa version of the list and I tried to keep the list tighter together where possible to benefit from Starcrossed and the Stone aura. Playing for CPs forced both opponents to have to push to go for me and a few better roles on damage under her feat turn against Legion might have given me a few more options on blocking lanes to Calandra. All in all though I'm seeing more ways of using the list.

Trolls seem pretty popular at the moment. At smogcon you couldn't turn around without tripping over a troll player.

Hows it going with them? You played much skorne?

Chapter Master

Mostly played against Rasheth with Skorne. Wouldn't mind trying Calandra into their brick to see how that does. I've been playing Trolls since day 1 literally as I got my battlebox on day of release and had it painted and playing in a tournament the day after. They are a little stronger now, but hoping to do a little more experimentation once I've got my current lists down.

Getting some games hopefully tomorrow night.

Chapter Master

Managed a game with Calandra versus Butcher 3 with my friend proxying Ruin for the game. I expected a lot more devastation to be honest, but playing Fire Support and managed to play for scenario. I went second and advanced up and managed to blast away into the front line of his running troops causing a fair amount of damage to one unit of Iron Fangs and Boomhowlers. I then used Rime on one of the tempting Storm Trolls and positioned Slag Trolls to be able to go for his objective.

He charged in and Star Crossed continued to frustrate. Ruin went after one of the slag trolls causing a fair chunk of damage whilst the various IFP mini feated and readied to lock me down. My second turn and I feated to get extra damage potential. I managed to take down the objective in first hit on a charge. The Runeshapers took out EEiryss and I started putting out continuous effects to get damage onto IFP when his turn came around. Managed to kill a few IFP and whittle down Boomhowlers to a single grunt. Ruin is badly damaged by the Slag who had been healed just enough.

Butcher charged in and takes out two lights, then feats to keep himself safe, though is on fire after attacking the Pyre. The hounds cause most issues to be honest, especially as I'm nervous of killing them and provoking vengeance. Orin Midwinter moves up to put up no magic bubble and situates himself behind a wall. Bokur charges the Slag that destroyed the objective.

My next turn and I get a Pyre shot which deviates, but takes out Madelyn Corbeau, IFP standard and puts fire on the war dog. Snow troll sprays to take out Orin. The Slag fighting the Bokur puts damage on that and takes out the IF Kovnik. Ruin goes down finally and I manage to clear out around my flag, but can't score as it's dominate only.

Eventually we end up with the situation where Butcher takes out 2 beasts again in a turn, but keeps losing health to fire and corrosion. Calandra dominates my flag, but I can't quite clear enough space to score with the other flag so I end up losing on Deathclock 3 Cp to 0.

As I get quicker with the list it should be able to deal with this. There was no opportunity to go for the assassination, but I was happy with the clearing power of the list and I need to look at concentrating on playing more with Calandra to maximise the other stuff she can do.

Chapter Master

Two games last night as people wanted practice against Calandra ahead of the ETC.

First game was against EHaley. Stormwall, Thorn, Hunter run by Gunmages + UA, Gorman, Anastasia, Strangewayes, Epic Eiryss, Squire. We were playing Close Quarters so by not having an active scenario I had less of a disadvantage against Haley and her feat. I had to set up mindful of blocking access to key pieces by the Hunter shooting into my control area. The Stormwall moved up fairly centrally. My opponent forgot decelarration for a few of my initial shots onto the Hunter, which I managed to make fairly obsolete after concentrating fire onto it from Slag trolls and Storm Trolls. I had moved up to try and keep pressure on, though I think I should have been prepared to sacrifice a few more of the lights to allow key pieces to remain unengaged. His next turn he moves the Stormwall far enough up to engage two Slags and a Pyre, whilst being at reach. Thorn moves up to keep pressure on the other flank, meaning I have to be careful with where Calandra is. Then Haley feats and everything in my army is under its effect with Haley dominating the friendly flag.

This means I have limits on what I can do next round. I fail to properly move to contest the flag, which puts a lot more pressure on me. Hunter is dispatched as are more of the Gunmages. Runebearer puts Bullet dodger on Calandra as he's forced to go after her, but that proves useful.

Various jockeying of positioning and Starcrossed continues to help keep the dice hitting me to a lower amount. Stormwall gets a line on Calandra after the blocking Winter Troll is telekinisesed away. First shot misses and Calandra moves away though out of Killbox, though luckily it doesn't count at this point because I was in on my turn. Two Storm Trolls are dealt with and I'm limited on what I can do. Luckily Haley is not camping any focus.

My turn and I managed to feat and take out Gorman, Strangewayes and more of the gunmages. I did a bit of damage to the Stormwall, but engaged Slags were not able to get as much damage as I might want. In the end I managed to get a shot from my unengaged Pyre directly onto Haley leaving her on 2 health and on fire. The fire subsequently killed her.

From this I think that I may wish to keep some Slag trolls back to allow for them not to get quite so engaged, especially with fun feat turns like Haley's.

Second game was against EVyros Griffon spam. Evyros, Imperatus, 2 arcanists, destor thane, max unit but no ua of Sentinels, and 9 Griffons. We played 2 fronts. I spent a lot of the game trying to throw Griffons around, taking advantage of my two handed lights. Vyros had a nice trench to camp in for a chunk of the game which kept him from suffering too much and also he kept 4 focus on himself most turns. In hindsight I should have focused on Imperatus and taking him out as it came down to him getting to Calandra. I had a chance of going for Scenario win, but not really being able to threaten Vyros caused issues and Synergy counteracted Starcrossed for the most part.

I knew it was a tough game going in, but it means more work needed on positioning.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast