Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Returning to Trollbloods

Chapter Master

Re: Returning to Trollbloods

Had my first game using the actual model and managed a scenario win on 2 Fronts vs Stryker3. I proxied Dhunian Knot but didn't make best use of them. I also forgot Mulg's last attack when his turn finishes so Stormwall stayed around longer than it should have.

Nice, my first trollbloods match had to wait so maybe next week or so.
    But building the war wagon, awesome model.

Chapter Master

Yeah got one which I don't use a lot, but got a second as there are some really interesting ideas using two with Gunnbjorn.

Two war wagons ? A bit overkill and are you thinking of Snipe ?

Chapter Master

Dozer and Smigg + switching snipe between the two.

ahhh.
    Oh a question regarding Dire Troll blitzer and sluggers that stand still, the D3 shots, are those only against 1 target or can you target other models with the various shots ?

Chapter Master

You can target different models as there is nothing in the rule for the weapon to stop you doing so.

yes, you can direct every shoot to any target

Good, some nice dakka then.

Chapter Master

So I took 3 lists down to Smogcon and got 0 games in due to working the entire weekend. But glad to see everyone have a good time.

What I came back with though is my new Dhunian Knot, who are being painted at the moment, as well as the new PGrissel and Rok resculpts. The changes to Warders has changed some ideas on list building I've had as well as the obvious shift on Calandra's EE list. So also on the painting table at the moment is a Mountain King as I'm looking at both the revised 7 lights and a MK as EE or to build my new Glacier King as well and try Doomy 3 tier 4. I'm still trying to find new things and now going to be testing Calandra in a non tier form, Emadrak and PGrissel. When I will actually get time for a game is another matter.

I had a great time at smogcon. Played my skorne...badly...in the steamroller on Friday then switch to my circle (just started, have 1 50pts list) for Saturday. Then back to skorne on sunday.

Was a great time with a fair number of guys from my two local(ish) clubs.

Chapter Master

I got to play for a change at our local Steamroller on Sunday which was using ADR so I went to try out Pgrissel and Emadrak.

My lists were

E Madrak
    Runebearer
    Mulg
    Axer
    Pyre
    Fell Caller
    Saxon Orrik
    Max KSB + UA
    Max Burrowers
    Max Fennblades +UA
    Fire Eaters

Witch Doctor
    Feralgeist
    Fire Eaters
    Runeshapers
    Max Warders

and PGrissel

PGrissel
    Pyre
    Slag
    Storm
    Fellcaller
    Max KSB + UA
    2 x Fire Eaters
    Max Warders
    Max Fennblades + UA
    Kithkar
    Swamp Gobbers

Max Champions
    Sorcerer
    Stone Scribe Chronicler
    Storm Troll

First game vs Barnabus with Emadrak. My opponent didn't realise how Madrak deeply cares for his troops gathered close around him and so failed to pull off the first assassination attempt against him. I screwed up and didn't use the fellcaller to get my troops up, but the dygmies made good work of the Sacral vault, whilst Mulg frenzied into Barnabus. Madrak finished Barnabus off. First game facing off against Double croaks and I used Madrak's feat to allow me to run in and then get an attack later once jammed in. Dygmies never burrowed as I wanted the speed of getting them up the table.

Second game vs Goreshade 3. I went with Pgrissel. I should have dumped the Warders out for Fennblades, but I thought they might hold onto one zone. One did make 3 tough rolls vs Goreshade himself. In the end I was more worried about stopping the Kraken moving and Goreshade got to Grissel. One unit of Fire eaters missed Darragh entirely, which would have killed him early on and helped. My opponent said after the game he was more concerned with my dropping EMadrak then Grissel which is something to think about.

Final game vs Mordikaar with Emadrak and I got lucky worrying about the Void spirits that I was running the Krielstone turning off incorporeal. In the end blood furied Dygmies got to Tibby and Mulg got to Mordikaar. Ended up 5th due to SOS.

Chapter Master

So with the switch to Mark 3 I've stayed with Trolls, partly because I was getting regular practice with them so dealing with the switch was easier and partly because my meta has a lot of Menoth and Khador, which stops me going back to them for the moment. With Cygnar and Retribution making up the other big ones in my Meta I'm actually in a good place with Trolls to take them on.

So with the UK Nationals in September I've been concentrating on learning how things have changed with 2 casters initially and then a third shortly.

Mark 3 changes the balance of the game, and terrain is playing more of a role with less restrictions on how it can be placed and Tournament Organisers being encouraged to do set up with an idea of having terrain have an impact on the game without it being terrible for one player.

My two initial warlocks have been Madrak, World Ender and Gunnbjorn. Gunnbjorn gained a useful feat in Mark 3 which gives a chance to put pressure on gunlines. Emadrak is a very strong caster for Trolls and also has another chance of avoiding some of the worst of Ecaine or Kara Sloan for example.

Emadrak
    Runebearer
    Rok
    Bouncer
    Fellcaller
    Fennblade Kithkar
    Stone Scribe Chronicler
    Max Fennblades +UA
    Max Warders
    Max Krielstone Bearer + UA
    Dhunian Knot

This list is built on the notion of keeping Madrak alive by giving him various trolls to shunt hits too. The Bouncer and Warders also allow some control on where hits might come. The Fennblades are to get up there and clear out as much as they can with Cleave, which is a great addition for them in Mark 3. They do miss being terrifying on the mini feat, but with no psychology there is nothing to replace it with.

Having played it twice now versus Reznik 1 (assassination with Fennblade Kithkar) and Ossyan double invictors (assassination with Emadrak) I am looking at what to change. That version is 1 point down and having played with it there are 2 elements that I'm looking at swapping out. The Runebearer is just there to give out Harmonious exultation as he cannot cast any of Madrak's spells or as a sacrifice to Grim Salvation. The Chronicler was there for Tale of Mist and for Charge of the trolls, but that is way more situational. The potential swap outs I'm thinking of are a second Fellcaller (because Mat 10 Madrak is great) and some whelps (because Grim Salvation would operate on them as well). The Dhunian Knot also have a limited use in this list so far. Though I did heal Madrak for 1 point so he could cut himself some more before he went to kill Ossyan.

The Gunnbjorn list has had two outings as well in its current form.

Gunnbjorn
    Dozer and Smig
    Bomber
    Pyre Troll
    War Wagon
    Feralgeist
    Braylen Wanderheart
    Dhunian Knot
    2 x Fire Eaters
    Max Krielstone Bearer + UA

The theory here is that it can put out a lot of AOEs, can threaten with the Fire Eaters, push the War Wagon forward to engage and use the Dhunian Knot to get rerolls on the various shots. Braylen went in to give me a flanking model who could go after some threats. So far this list has won against Haley 3 (ranged assassination by Bomber) and then versus Vlad 2 (melee assassination by Bomber) using the feat early on defensively.

But then I have been thinking about trying out a different version -

Gunnbjorn
    Mountain King
    Blitzer
    Dozer & Smig
    Bomber
    Whelps
    Lanyssa
    Dhunian Knot

Beast Heavy with the Mountain King being a big threat. Extra whelps help deal with damage coming in and fury issues. Lanyssa is there for extra melee threat range. Not sure how I feel with no troops, but there are various ways to clear things out.

Calandra is the third warlock to be looked at, but going to keep practicing especially as so far I haven't lost a game of Mark 3.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3