Thread: Running Over Models in Close Combat: Gorkamorka and Warhammer 40,000

Running Over Models in Close Combat: Gorkamorka and Warhammer 40,000

I am looking to see if can run over two orks in Close Combat in a Trukk in Gorkamorka.

There doesn't seem to be anything in the rulebooks to say no. But I wondered if you could advise if there is something against it in current or past Warhammer 40,000 rules. (I have not played any Warhammer 40,000.)

Would my opponent object because of a percieved idea that this isn't allowed?

Thanks

Re: Running Over Models in Close Combat: Gorkamorka and Warhammer 40,000

Does Gorkamorka allow you to shoot into a melee involving a friendly model? Use that as a precedent, if it says anything.

2nd edition 40k did allow firing into close combat, but there were some restrictions. I can't remember what they were, though.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewGPaul View Post
    Does Gorkamorka allow you to shoot into a melee involving a friendly model? Use that as a precedent, if it says anything.

2nd edition 40k did allow firing into close combat, but there were some restrictions. I can't remember what they were, though.
    Apparently, no. you cant fire into close combat. What does any edition of Warhammer 40,00 say bout running over people in close combat?

This is all that the Gorkamorka Rulebook says about running over footers.

SQUASHING MODELS ON FOOT
    If a vehicle rams a model on foot, the footer must pass
    an Initiative test to dodge aside or else get run over. To
    take an Initiative test roll a D6. If the score is equal to or
    under the model’s Initiative characteristic he
    successfully jumps aside enough to avoid the vehicle.
    Move the model to the left or right enough to get him
    out of the vehicle’s path. If the roll is over the model’s
    Initiative he fails to leap aside and is struck by the
    vehicle. The model takes a S3 hit before being knocked
    randomly out of the vehicle’s path D3" to the left or
    right.
    Footers can also fall victim to rakes or sideswipes or
    collisions. If a vehicle moves so that its side passes
    within 2" of a model on foot it can jink in order to
    sideswipe or rake them in passing. A vehicle also might
    collide with a footer, accidentally crushing them as it
    spins or swerves out of control. In both cases the footer
    model can make an Initiative test to jump out of the way
    as for a ram. If the test is failed the model takes a S3 hit
    and is knocked D3" away from the vehicle.

SQUASHING DOWNED MODELS
    Downed models are at the mercy of vehicles, because
    they can’t get out of the way! If a downed model is
    rammed, raked, sideswiped or collided with by a
    vehicle it can’t take an Initiative test to avoid it and will
    take a S3 hit before being bounced D3" out of the way.
    See the Shooting section for more details on what
    happens to downed models when they are wounded
    again
    Last edited by Borg451; 08-12-2014 at 15:02.

No edition of 40k covers it. The last few editions of 40k haven't even allowed it, other than for superheavy vehicles (all tank shock does is scatter and potentially rout the target). However, the prohibition on firing into close combat seems like a good precedent - if you can't shoot into combat, I would suggest you can't run one over either, for exactly the same reasons.

Regardless of whether one wants to run over models on foot or not there still needs to be rules for it as it can easily happen by accident.

I would suggest that combatants take an Initiative test as if they were individual models. Scattering D3" and where applicable taking S3 hits. This breaks up the combat unless someone reinitiates it.

One for the FAQ though!

Commander

Many moons ago, you could fire into close combat, but it was randomised as to who you hit. Randomise who gets hit by the hits? (after all, the 'swirling melee' excuse kicks in - that the models may not actually be where their base is at any given moment in the combat...)
    "Radiation storms have cut down communication to Morse code even over the comnet. But it's been great for morale..."
    "Morse code - great for morale? Why?"
    "Every time a message arrives, someone yells, 'What does the vox say?' and it's 'dit dit dit dit d-dit d-dit...'"
    +++ thank the Emperor that the Inquisition stepped in at this point +++

Quote Originally Posted by Flamekebab View Post
    Regardless of whether one wants to run over models on foot or not there still needs to be rules for it as it can easily happen by accident.

I would suggest that combatants take an Initiative test as if they were individual models. Scattering D3" and where applicable taking S3 hits. This breaks up the combat unless someone reinitiates it.

One for the FAQ though!
    If it happens by accident, the only additional rule required is "any models run over are no longer considered to be in combat any more". Other than that, running over two Orks in close combat with each other is no different to running over two Orks standing on their own. I'd still argue strongly that if you can't shoot into melee, you can't deliberately drive into one either.

Quote Originally Posted by Flamekebab View Post

One for the FAQ though!
    Just seen..

it is on that FAQ.

Q: Whether through forced moves (e.g. Thruster Buster Table) or intentionally can I drive a vehicle through hand to hand combat?

A: Absolutely! Both warriors can test as normal to avoid being hit and the combat will be broken up if they dodge away from each other. If one had just charged and the combat was hit by a vehicle that charging bonus will be forfeited - it's hard to keep up charging momentum when you're busy picking yourself back up!

I just added it to the bottom of the FAQ not realising it was already in there. D'oh!

Veteran Sergeant Riddle of Steel's Avatar

It just seems fitting that you can run over ANYone in Gorkamorka, even models in melee. Why the hell not? That's what the game is all about: carnage and vehicular mayhem! Even if the rules don't specify, anyone who has played the game would surely agree it is within the spirit of the game!