Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: [LaserCutCard] General WIP thread

[LaserCutCard] General WIP thread

Futurehab #3: office block test cut

This is going to be the third building in our "Futurehab" range. It is a four-level office block with three levels of glass and a solid foundation level.

The basic pieces are all done... it just needs some detailing.

Some questions:

Should one of the glass layers be smaller to allow a ledge on one of the other levels?

Should there be roof access shown? And an actual door onto the ledge?

The way this is designed, we want it to be able to fit back to back with the other pieces or even be able to be back to back with itself, making a huge office block

Re: [LaserCutCard] General WIP thread

I have never been a fan of gothic architecture and so some time ago designed these ruined art deco buildings for LCC.

They were made from a combination of MDF and card. The originals were fantastic but expensive.

This is the test cut of the next version, which replaces the MDF parts with two layers of card.

This reduces both the weight and the cost. The original was $20 and this version, which is more or less identical, should cost about $12, making it far more affordable.

I am reworking all the other files to be card and then will re-release the entire range (4 different corner ruins) in January.

I am also working on an entirely new building, meaning that eventually there will be eight different corner ruins available.

This is a late test of a new model to go with the "urban scatter" range... something to block LOS on the top of buildings. I need to make a few small changes in it but it will be in the store in January.

The main change required is to make the walkway optional... at the moment that piece is required as the base is bigger than the tower. So I am making the tower a little larger.

The cyborg hill set is almost done Just needs one more test cut to test the fit of the outside pieces and to add on a little bit more detail.

This is the new quad cannon.

This kit has several improvements on the old one.

By eliminating the MDF parts and standardizing some of the plastic components , we have been able to substantially reduce the cost from $12.95 to $8.50.

The circular ammo hoppers (which we took from the chaos ikon cannon) make the model more visually interesting and nicer to paint.

Finally, the model can be assembled instead just as two twin-linked autocannon, which can be used to kitbash.

While we are waiting for the recut of the new Futurehab building, I thought I might try and figure out an effective way to do a plate glass effect onto the card

Here are some attempts using a small rectangular template and an airbrush:

Has anyone got any tips for alternative strategies for this kind of thing?

And of these three, which one works the best as plate glass?

Number three, if you ask me. Saw your stuff on TTGN too, good going. Lots of people will see your work that way.
    I wish I had a reason to buy some of your stuff. Your futuristic buildings would be awesome for Necromunda. Alas, nobody to play with...
    Now, if you started selling medieval ruins a la Mordheim... O_o
    The Tabletop Showcase - A new forum dedicated solely to Project Logs and Showcases - Join us now!

The Daniel36 Chronicles - My Project Log
    My Warseer Heroes : JuicyTomatoes - Emperor Norton - Harry - Lord Dan - Ramius4 - Naitsabes - Little Joe - Boreas_NL
    (in no particular order)

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel36 View Post
    Now, if you started selling medieval ruins a la Mordheim... O_o
    Thanks mate... fantasy stuff is calling us but at the moment neither of us actually play any fantasy games and so we don't have a good feel for what "works" in the setting. But we will be doing something this year fantasy orientated... just have to decide what.

On a decidedly non-fantasy note though:

The water tower and bridges are finally finished - two days late on account of single parenting duties. They are part of the "urban scatter" range.

There is some more information here: http://lasercutcard.co.za/2015/01/water-towers-bridges/

Stop making me feel bad for not having anyone to play Necromunda with!
    (Kidding... But it does make me tinysad, your stuff is so awesome!!)

As for fantasy architecture... Ruins like those art deco ruins would be perfect. But hey, I can make all the demands I want, but I am not really your target audience at the moment anyways... I am cashless.

But if you're looking for some inspiration, it really doesn't have to be more than this: http://members.iinet.net.au/~owentop...ippos/15_3.jpg
    The Tabletop Showcase - A new forum dedicated solely to Project Logs and Showcases - Join us now!

My Warseer Heroes : JuicyTomatoes - Emperor Norton - Harry - Lord Dan - Ramius4 - Naitsabes - Little Joe - Boreas_NL
    (in no particular order)

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel36 View Post
    Stop making me feel bad for not having anyone to play Necromunda with!
    (Kidding... But it does make me tinysad, your stuff is so awesome!!)
    Thanks for the kind words.... and that link is interesting. We will look at fantasy definitely but we only want to do stuff that can set us apart from the (very many other talented) people who do MDF pieces, and that sort of building is PERFECT for MDF

So this is the latest cut:

Futurehab #3 - office tower.

This is the latest test cut of the office block. Quite a few improvements have been made
    - first two stories combined into one to keep the vertical elements stronger
    - third story made smaller to produce a sniper ledge
    - ledges have been added to the "roof" sections to facilitate stacking
    - detailing added to the "back" sides... plate glass all round on the upper levels and some doors and detailing on the ground floor

There are a few more bugs to be ironed out but I am confident that the next test cut will have them all sorted.

I also want to add a bit more detailing to this.

Next up... a paint test!

Real nice.

Yes, that sort of building is perfect for MDF... and ALWAYS at a premium price. Actually, there is really only one company that does semi-fantasy ruined houses in MDF, and they look alright, but not for the price of admission. They're not even fantasy, they're more like historical buildings that kind of fit the Warhammer aesthetic. Honestly, not trying to push you in any directions, but you would probably really stand out, because those types of ruins are actually pretty much non-existent and especially not available at your prices.

But hey, keep pushing me over the edge, it's not like I don't need another project to continue! :P

(in no particular order)

Well as soon as the current dev cycle is done we will be looking to do something new so this is definitely on the drawing board

Cyborg hill set

This is almost done. It needs some final tweaks and the build instructions but we should be good to go next week.

The reason we have done this kit is simple: Line of Sight. The rest of the cyborg range is really fantastic but apart from the statis tomb, nothing is capable of blocking LOS across the table, especially from vehicles. Well, not up until now....

The set will comprise two large half-hills and two small half-hills. These can be stacked, used on table edges, split to form canyons or pretty much whatever else you want to do.

I got this painted (finally)!

I've put up a few more images here: http://lasercutcard.co.za/2015/01/cyborg-hill-set/

We've also redone the statis tomb set - the central octagon has been redone in card rather than MDF. This has brought down both the weight and the cost.

It used to cost $32.50 but postage was $9.30 (and it had to be shipped in two separate letters if you chose the cheap option).

Now it costs $29.90 and the postage is only $4.65 AND it goes in one envelope.

It is modular a modular set. You can stack it like this to be a bastion or you can leave the top off and a certain other model will slot into the top.

So now we have this - next step is to design a custom table.

There are individual pictures of all of these here: http://lasercutcard.co.za/model-ranges/cyborg/

We've had a flight stand in the store for ages but never produced a model to go on top of it. Not for want of trying... but we've never been happy with the designs we've had so far.

This one might be different. The test cut will tell.

http://www.lasercutcard.co.za/shop/s...ing_containers

Thanks to the steady devaluation of the South African Rand, our postal costs have actually come DOWN.

Our DL range now costs $1 to ship worldwide

Our thin C5 range now costs $2 to ship worldwide

Our thicker C5 range and C4 range now cost $4 to ship worldwide.

On top of this, the entire shipping container range is being re-released - starting with the shipping containers themselves. These have had their cutting file totally redone to optimise it and as a result the 3 container set has dropped in price from $18.50 for 3 to $14.95 for 3.

For anyone who is interested in maybe trying these out but is a little unsure, here are two independent reviews, one from the UK and one from New Zealand

http://skirmishoutbreak.blogspot.co....ontainers.html

http://gravengames.co.uk/shipping-containers-review/

The rest of the container range is being redesigned to be cheaper and better. An overview of all the items in the range is available here: http://lasercutcard.co.za/2015/02/sh...tainers-redux/

They will be in the store within the week

Here are some images of the paint test I did on v2 of this building.

I have built up v3 - this one has a whole raft of improvements including
    Doors on each of the landings
    Elevator access on the roof
    Strip lighting around the rear doors
    Better detailing on the “glass” panels
    Internal bracing on the bottom floor (not shown)

There are more images here: http://lasercutcard.co.za/2015/02/fu...ce-tower-wips/

We've re-released two cyborg items as part of a new category of products: "$1 shipping"

Cyborg obelisk (single model)

Cyborg sentinal (single model without the plastic crystal)

These are part of a new category of product called "$1 Shipping", which has been created on the web store here: http://www.lasercutcard.co.za/shop/one-dollar-shipping

The idea is to get people that have doubts about card (or doubts about ordering from a country as scarily as far away as South Africa) to give us a try.

There are 16 items so far that qualify for this shipping rate and we will gradually be moving as many of our existing products into this "$1 shipping" category as we can.

Some of the other products in this category:

This was the first model we made that incorporated materials other than card. The heavy artillery piece is a mix of card, MDF and plastic tubing.

We don’t normally carry these in stock – rather we make them to order. Someone recently ordered several and I took the opportunity to have a few extras cut.

They are all the same model but with a different gun shield (and a few other small customised bits for each faction gun

http://www.lasercutcard.co.za/shop/v...eavy-artillery

We already have a set of standard shipping containers for 28mm games

These ship in a threepack and are $16.95 a pack (shipping is $2 worldwide)

We've just added three new sets to this range. These are all containers that have been converted to be houses, shops or offices.

Site Office Set

Shops set

Houses set

There is a lot more information here: http://lasercutcard.co.za/model-rang...ng-containers/ but all these sets are also $16.95 a set and shipping is $2 worldwide

If you want to see them in the store, that link is here: http://www.lasercutcard.co.za/shop/s...ing_containers

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast