Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Nurgle Polar Bear led Army on the Rise

Nurgle Polar Bear led Army on the Rise

Have had this log going for a while on another forum, but now that I actually have time to work on the army I figured I might as well start it here as well to get more feedback. I don't consider myself a great painter, but I am constantly expanding my knowledge and range of techniques and take any feedback or suggestions on board. I am still unsure about a lot of schemes in the army.

I started a WoC army based around the amazing Kraan on Warbear model by Mierce Miniatures. I have since been able to fit 7 sexy polar bears into the army which is very pleasing!
    This is probably my most converted army (I have many), it is now easily my favourite army in the theme and the models, and I am actually really enjoying playing it as well. So it ticks all the boxes for me! Fun fact, I actually started planning it in 7th ed when all I could do was make the bear unit dragon ogres and have normal chariots. Then GW released Skullcrushers and Gorebeast chariots which fit my models perfectly, and I was a very happy man. :skull:

Army list:
    Scyla (this guy is a themed conversion, tried with the model as a spawn but I wanted it to be a bit stronger to suit the model)

Kraan, Exalted hero (spiritual leader, can't be general because of Scyla..)
    Khorne, Barded Demonic Mount, shield, armour of destiny
    (Joins Skullcrushers)
    (he got the demonic mount instead of the juggernaut for the toughness boost)

Magaan, Sorceror Lord
    Nurgle, lvl 4, talisman of preservation, enchanted shield, dispel scroll, flaming breath
    (Joins HW/S unit)

Exalted Hero
    BSB, Nurgle, shield, helm of many eyes
    (Joins HW/S unit)

18 Warriors, Nurgle, halberds, full command

22 Warriors, Nurgle, HW/S, full command

Gorebeast Chariot

Gorebeast Chariot

5 Warhounds

Chimera, flaming breath, regen

3 Skullcrushers, banner of eternal flame, full command, ensorcelled weapons

It may be slightly different at times, but thats the real core of the army.

Ok now to the important part, the models!

Scyla WiP: (a PP Hordes model)

I looked into TMM techniques, don't know if it worked or if I did it properly even. Still lots to do on the armour I think.

Early WiP photos of Kraan. The front bear armour is a very dark silver (mixed with black) which I intend to highlight up to something like boltgun metal. But it is hard when the darker it gets the less metallic it is, and I'm not good with large flat armour. On the side for now.

The Sorceror Lord Magaan (from Mierce Miniatures too), also very WiP. I'm trying to do glossy black armour, but I don't really know how to.

I read in the sticky only 4 images per post allowed. This is a bookmark, we'll see.

My BSB is a conversion based on an Avatars of War model.

Halberd Unit is the incredible Avatars of War models.

Absolute........ *&%^&* to assemble. The kit got redesigned after I bought it to make them easier. But these are more unique in their pose and I got them to rank up eventually, so I'm happy.

Re: Nurgle Polar Bear led Army on the Rise

Sorry do need a new post, PC was not liking having that still open... Onwards. The other warrior unit is normal GW warriors. I started with a glossy black armour scheme:

But now I think I am going to go for something a bit more Nurgle. These are WiP while I play with different ideas and different rust techniques. The cloaks will be as above eventually.

The two chariots are next on this list. They are both different from each other, and both converted from corpse carts and Scibor Miniatures Bears. They are currently much more advanced than these photos, I'll just post what I have now and update. One chariot is almost complete and should get a big update tomorrow. (Maybe)

Rider is an AoW model.

Next one is my favourite. The chain through it will be held by the rider (40k Chaos Lord) and it will look like he is pulling the chain on the right side of the model and turning the bear to its right. Luckily, this is the one that is nearly done so better update for it next.

The rider is done.

That is maximum images now.

Excellent start. I am looking forward to seeing more.

Did you get the original Resin Apoc Warriors? I heard the later Apoc Warriors suffer shrinkage due to being PVC, so if that is true I do not think you should worry that you got the earlier release.

Oh yeah and I armoured the chariot a bit.

I did more with the armour of the other chariot, but its not painted so I will hold off on photographing until its done.

Warhounds from the Space Wolf range. I will paint them like grey/winter wolves.

Chimera, I had a standard Chimera model and was trying to figure out how to make one of the 3 heads a polar bear head. Then misplaced it moving house and had to proxy with this demogorgon model from CenterStage Miniatures. (They currently may or may not be going bankrupt as a result of 2 failed Kickstarters so be very wary buying directly from them unfortunately)

I like the model, I loved Demogorgon in Baldur's Gate 2, I want it in my army. Would be a perfect demon prince, but I stopped taking them since it was too powerful and I play for fun with friends. In the lore it can teleport (fly) and cast flaming spells (breath weapon) so it will be my Chimera. I have a plan for it to be summoned on its base. A big 8-pointed star painted as lava on the chariot base with it in the middle and a blood witch at the back of the base performing the ritual. And of course a big chain around his ankle like in Watcher's Keep. Don't know when I will get on to that project, and I don't have a clue what colours to paint him at the moment. Again, open to ideas.

I probably wrote the army list in the wrong order, because last is my favourite models and usually MVPs. Skullcrushers.

After the chariots I want to paint these next. The bears were Kraan's bear from Mierce. The converting of the bears I commissioned to the talented Spiraling Cadaver. The riders I made from bits I had. Chaos Knights mostly. Edit: Yes, Skullcrushers come on longer bases. Only an issue if they get flanked, which is unlikely. I do not play competitively and no one I have played against minds. It is for modelling and to fit the demonic mount (Kraan character) not to gain an advantage.

So there you go. Converting and assembling complete, the army has been very successful in a bunch of battles, now the long process of painting. I have just finished my thesis so more time to paint and I can hopefully update regularly, but never know what might slow me down. All will have snow bases, another technique I am new to and playing around with. Current WiP is the chariots. After the chariots, I would like to tackle the Skullcrushers. But chariots first.

Thanks for reading!
    Last edited by strewart; 28-01-2015 at 15:24.

Quote Originally Posted by StygianBeach View Post
    Excellent start. I am looking forward to seeing more.

Did you get the original Resin Apoc Warriors? I heard the later Apoc Warriors suffer shrinkage due to being PVC, so if that is true I do not think you should worry that you got the earlier release.
    A reply before I finished, thanks!

Yes I got the original resin warriors. I didn't hear about shrinkage, but I know they were going to be a lot less posable with less pieces. Shrinkage aside, they probably needed it. Individually they were extremely difficult to glue together with no gaps in their two handed weapon style. As a unit they were the hardest unit I have ever assembled to get to rank up, they took many many hours and loooots of dry runs with blutac. HOWEVER, in the end they do work (only one way I numbered the bases) and I definitely am glad I got this set because I do think they look better than the new ones. The balance between ease of assemble and detail/posability is a difficult one.

Need to finish off the flames at the back of the chariot and the armour and saddle of the bear, plus complete the base. Nearly there!

Brilliant conversions. Subscribbed.
    BlazeXI

Some interesting conversion work here, keep up the great work!
    ToFP PLOG http://www.warseer.com/forums/showth...37#post7281537

Quote Originally Posted by Darnok View Post
    I... umm... will ban you!
    No wonder that you thought 2nd ed 40K sucked. You weren't even playing it.

You've got some really cool models here. I really like the skullcrushers.

Banned

This is one of the coolest concept for a chaos army I've seen!

Frikkin attack polar bears.Count me in.nice work mate,the avatars of war stuff is great.

Very cool ! I love the polar bear idea ! Great, really
    Nurgle Daemon army : The Creepy Legion
    DE Coven army : The Darksnake Brotherhood
    Ad mech log : Research station Burasufõji
    My terrain Log : Pazuzu's Gameboard(s) and terrains

Thanks for the comments, guys. Much appreciated!

I got slightly distracted from painting armour already after that chariot and the test models. I jumped across to demogorgon, my chimera (and possibly cameo demon prince sometimes). Still WiP but coming along nicely, I love the model! Such a shame it isn't available anymore.

In the spirit of the prince of demons, his two heads are constantly at war with each other so I wanted to give them a contrasting feel between the mandril and the silverback. I also went for a warm feel with the brown and a cold feel on the other one with blues added into the grey, and the blue tongue. Close up of the heads;

In a similar vain, I decided to paint the base with greys instead of brown like the rest of the army so I would have the contrasting cold of the pebbles and hot of the lava. This was also my first ever attempt at OSL at the edges of the lava on the rocks, I really think it added a lot to the feel of the base even if it is only small and subtle.

Still need to finish highlighting up all his scales, and think of something else to do for the purple skin... I don't like it as is. Possible draw a lightning effect on it?

I think I'm feeling the Skullcrushers for the painting table next after I finish this guy. There is Chaos even in the order I paint. :P

Really cool model! And You give it justice with Your painting. Waiting to see it completed.
    My Bretonnians , my AoS stuff, my other stuff, and my terrains

... and my blog: Nerdworkshop

Don't worry be Happy!

Whoa. I love the idea of your bear theme for nurgle, but that Demigorgon takes the prize. It's a really cool model and I think you're doing a great job on it!

What the hell? lol, that two headed thing is either inspired or insane
    ToFP PLOG http://www.warseer.com/forums/showth...37#post7281537

Quote Originally Posted by Darnok View Post
    I... umm... will ban you!
    No wonder that you thought 2nd ed 40K sucked. You weren't even playing it.

Saw these a while back (on COTEC?) and thought it was an excellent idea. You have really come on leaps and bounds with this army, it looks very unified and completely different to most other Warrior armies. Will be keeping a closer eye on this for sure!
    "In a game based on the roll of a dice, sometimes the dice don't play the game"

My Warriors of Chaos Gallery

Testing out a couple of ideas for the armour of my Skullcrushers, sort of similar techniques but with reds and a bit of purple instead of greens. Thoughts?

Hopefully I can finish the Skullcrushers this week, but it is really really hot here at the moment so we'll see!

This is a really interesting take on the northern waste lands. Its cool, literally. I didnt think the 40k model would work on the chariot but it does, hats off. That demogoron looks 1000 times better when painted, its done well. The only thing I would say is to try blend the green edging with the darker green on the torso scale/armor. I know the lines are consistent and its rim lighting but the strokes are a bit thick. Really cool gibbon heads to. Reminds me of the Iron Monkey album cover!
    Please have a look at my WoC models and give some CC. Thanks
    http://www.warseer.com/forums/showth...tuff-CC-please

I need to practice painting easier things before going back to trying the Skullcrushers again I think. So small update, WiP of my BSB. Who is actually the first model I converted for the army so about time I started painting him! :P As I started I decided to add the shields in a Nurgle symbol pattern, not sure how to paint them yet which is why they are all different.

First face I have every really tried to paint more than just drybrush and wash. Very tricky definitely need work on that skill.

In fact I am painting the whole front rank at the same time since they share some colours I figured I might as well do them too. Also very WiP at the moment.

@Left Foot, yeah I was trying to make just the rims bright but you are right the transition is still WiP. All the green areas are. And I think I want to paint a lightning effect on the purple tentacles too.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast