Page 11 of 33 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 ... LastLast
Results 201 to 220 of 660

Thread: Warhammer 9th Edition Roundup - Discussion

  1. #201
    Veteran Sergeant ESP0DAMUS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    144

    Re: Warhammer 9th Edition Roundup - Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by thrawn View Post
    i am really dissappointed by all this talk. what happens to all of these models i have? white lions, sword masters, phoenix guard, lothern seaguard? all gone?

    what a waste of time and money. i know people are saying, no don't worry you can still use them, but i can't use them as they were intended, and now i only need 10 of them (as the games are now smaller and skirmished?) and let's not forget i may have to rebase all of my models (again i'm not saying i "have to" but if the competitive lists are round bases for HEs then i will won't i?)!

    what a waste. i've spent almost 20 years playing this game and have never felt so discouraged.

    again, i know this is all talk, and it might turn out all right, so please don't start "NERD RAGING" me, but i am allowed to express my opinion, and at this point my opinion is 8th edition may be my final edition of warhammer.
    I understand what you're saying. I've been playing for 20 years as well. I've had several armies over that span, but I am excited about these rumored changes.

    I look at it like this: GW has given me a hobby that I have been able to enjoy for 20 years... I have no reason to believe that the company that gave me Mordheim, Warhammer Quest, Warhammer 40K, and, most of all, Warhammer Fantasy, will not be able to continue to create a fun and enjoyable hobby for me and my friends for the next 20 years.

    Do I agree with every decision GW has made over the years? NO. Of course not. But the fact remains - They have given me 20 years of FUN!
    <

  2. #202

    Re: Warhammer 9th Edition Roundup - Discussion

    Keep your models, keep playing 8th Ed. This is clearly all happening, as a wood elf and Bret player it's hacked me off too, but most players I know are just doing to stick with 8th or play other games. Thanks for the last 27 years warhammer, it's been a blast, I'm sorry your current custodians know nothing about their player/customer base, but you are becoming something very few want to support . Never thought id say it, but may have to try k.o.w!
    <

  3. #203
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,148

    Re: Warhammer 9th Edition Roundup - Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by ESP0DAMUS View Post
    I understand what you're saying. I've been playing for 20 years as well. I've had several armies over that span, but I am excited about these rumored changes.

    I look at it like this: GW has given me a hobby that I have been able to enjoy for 20 years... I have no reason to believe that the company that gave me Mordheim, Warhammer Quest, Warhammer 40K, and, most of all, Warhammer Fantasy, will not be able to continue to create a fun and enjoyable hobby for me and my friends for the next 20 years.

    Do I agree with every decision GW has made over the years? NO. Of course not. But the fact remains - They have given me 20 years of FUN!
    They didn't give it to you. You purchased it. And then you spent your hard earned time and money to keep and maintain it. And if that time and hard earned money was invested in an army that's now going to be dead and buried, you have every right to be seriously pissed off at GW. There is exactly zero justification for gratitude if you're a Lizardman, Dwarf, Ogre, or Tomb Kings player.
    <

  4. #204
    Chapter Master BramGaunt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Who knows...
    Posts
    2,981

    Re: Warhammer 9th Edition Roundup - Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Montegue View Post
    They didn't give it to you. You purchased it. And then you spent your hard earned time and money to keep and maintain it. And if that time and hard earned money was invested in an army that's now going to be dead and buried, you have every right to be seriously pissed off at GW. There is exactly zero justification for gratitude if you're a Lizardman, Dwarf, Ogre, or Tomb Kings player.
    By that reasoning there never should be any gratitude in anything you pay for that isn't life sustaining. I get that people are angry, but just as some will have to accept that several people are going to be pissed off, these people will have to accept that there are people who will be happy about it. As always. If you chose bitternes, that's your cup to empty. Let people have their positive additude. Same goes the other way. People have every right to be angry. No need to be at each others throat. No one here is to blame, or all of us. I for myself chose a sceptic but positive stance on all of it.
    We both read the rumour, day and night,
    but you read black where I read white.

    Quote Originally Posted by Scryer in the Darkness View Post
    (After someone claimed he was Phill Kelly) The real Phil Kelly would know how to spell his first name correctly.
    <

  5. #205
    Veteran Sergeant ESP0DAMUS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    144

    Re: Warhammer 9th Edition Roundup - Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Montegue View Post
    They didn't give it to you. You purchased it. And then you spent your hard earned time and money to keep and maintain it. And if that time and hard earned money was invested in an army that's now going to be dead and buried, you have every right to be seriously pissed off at GW. There is exactly zero justification for gratitude if you're a Lizardman, Dwarf, Ogre, or Tomb Kings player.
    Which is why my 1st sentence was, "I understand what your saying."

    However, with that being said, I have played all of the armies you have mentioned with the exception of Tomb Kings, at one point or another. GW changing the game, into whatever it will be, doesn't erase the fact that they did create the game that allowed me to play those armies and enjoy doing so. In fact, I could just as easily continue to play with those armies if I so choose. I still have models and rule books to do so. While I understand being "pissed", I also understand that GW is a business, and that they have to do what they feel is best for business.

    Like I said before, I think it goes against all logic to suspect that the GW that created the games I have loved for 20 years is incapable of continuing to do so. It is just my opinion.
    <

  6. #206
    Chapter Master
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    1,103

    Re: Warhammer 9th Edition Roundup - Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by BramGaunt View Post
    By that reasoning there never should be any gratitude in anything you pay for that isn't life sustaining. I get that people are angry, but just as some will have to accept that several people are going to be pissed off, these people will have to accept that there are people who will be happy about it. As always. If you chose bitternes, that's your cup to empty. Let people have their positive additude. Same goes the other way. People have every right to be angry. No need to be at each others throat. No one here is to blame, or all of us. I for myself chose a sceptic but positive stance on all of it.
    This. And I'am a dwarf player!

    Hastings did say on the 30k thread that WHFB will get lots of attention in 2015. The fact that GW is willing to invest so intensely into WHFB even if it sells like 1/5 or less of what 40k sells; the fact that they still plan to have WHFB as a gaming system as big as 40k, with as much shelf space as it; all of it point away from all posts who claim everything is dying and it is all about having more marines. I do understand people being frustrated by changes or because of the incertitude regarding their faction. If dwarfs (or lizardmen for that matter, although I think dwarfs are substantially more important to WHFB than lizzies) are to be squatted, I do think GW would make a huge mistake, but that does not mean at all that whatever new comes will be bad.
    <

  7. #207

    Re: Warhammer 9th Edition Roundup - Discussion

    Come on people. Have you ever bought a computer game, and then screamed bloody murder, when a sequel is released, and the support for the original ends? You could stil play the old, but majority of other players might go for the new shiny, and the old games usually end up collecting dust. You might also be lucky that people will stick with the original, and you can play on. To me, it might just push me into another board game like darklands, or maybe I'll love 9th and stick with it. Only time will tell, but there is no way that this is something I'll blame GW. Do I think it sounds like a good idea with a revamp? No! But that's entirely up to GW.
    <

  8. #208
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    226

    Re: Warhammer 9th Edition Roundup - Discussion

    The funny thing is I'm dumping money into dwarves because I have 2 GTs coming up. One in April and the other in May. I just started dwarves after playing Ogres for 4 years before that it was WoC. No choice, but to roll with it.
    <

  9. #209
    Brother Sergeant auStun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    44

    Re: Warhammer 9th Edition Roundup - Discussion

    Remember looking at the 9th round up thread and seeing more people posting their #feels about wasting time and money? I do and I wondered why after months of people saying the exact same thing about their #feels in other threads, they continue to do it here? Start a new thread called "9th rumors #feels"
    <

  10. #210
    Why is the rum gone? Darnok's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    11,797

    Re: Warhammer 9th Edition Roundup - Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by sixfthoneybadger View Post
    The funny thing is I'm dumping money into dwarves because I have 2 GTs coming up. One in April and the other in May. I just started dwarves after playing Ogres for 4 years before that it was WoC. No choice, but to roll with it.
    You call it funny, I think it's annoying. I'm getting a few O&G kits sooner rather than later - I don't have proof of them going away, but I'd rather not find out the unfunny way.
    <

  11. #211
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    226

    Re: Warhammer 9th Edition Roundup - Discussion

    Not funny hahaha. Murphy's Law funny. Like just when I start playing this army it goes the way of the dodo.
    <

  12. #212
    Chapter Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    2,168

    Re: Warhammer 9th Edition Roundup - Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by sixfthoneybadger View Post
    Not funny hahaha. Murphy's Law funny. Like just when I start playing this army it goes the way of the dodo.
    Murphy again! It’s always his fault.

    I’m thinking of getting a few FB characters I’d like to paint “just in case”.
    'Life is a journey. Time is a river. The door is ajar'
    <

  13. #213

    Re: Warhammer 9th Edition Roundup - Discussion

    Come on people. Have you ever bought a computer game, and then screamed bloody murder, when a sequel is released
    I can honestly say that I haven't done this, because the time, cost and effort is relatively minor. Many games are now backwards compatible or being modernised (Baldur's Gate, Homeworld etc as well). Warhammer is a different kettle of fish; it takes large amounts of time and cash to build up a decent army but are unlikely to be truly compatible with the new system (assuming the rumours are correct) both game wise and stylistically. Only time will tell whether it is a success - it has to bring in enough players to offset those that leave which depending on the individual is based on whether they like the models/style, cost, background, gameplay, tournament play etc all of which are subjective. I guess most will buy the game but after that is anyone's guess.

    Unfortunately I have little faith in GW anymore (or my and their ideals are separating).

    I have little love or hate for the new models and I find them a bit too 'toyish' but they are well designed.

    I find the background tame and irritating recently (especially the End Times) as it revolves around 'A' being beaten up by 'B' who is beaten up by 'C' and I do long for the days of Warhammer Roleplay, Realms of Chaos where there was depth I could get lost in. All the best fluff is from the past. I fear future fluff will be too simplistic.

    Warhammer gameplay is fine if you avoid some of the excesses but the last 40k release has been messed up with the unbound shenanigans and 101 books all with bits of rules in them. I don't play in tournaments so this is not really an issue for me at the moment. I also like playing rank and file games

    Cost I can deal with if the other elements meet my expectations.

    As such my confidence in the next edition is low, I'd love to be proved wrong, but feel this is unlikely; therefore they are likely to lose me as a player and I'll likely focus my efforts on collecting some the specialist games from ebay such as Warmaster/Mordheim etc and expand my Xwing collection as well as pick up All Quiet on the Martian Front whilst continuing to play 8th. However all of this is subjective and only time will tell...
    <

  14. #214
    Chaplain
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    240

    Re: Warhammer 9th Edition Roundup - Discussion

    Come on people. Have you ever bought a computer game, and then screamed bloody murder, when a sequel is released, and the support for the original ends?
    You dont spend hundreds on a computer game, nor do you spend hundreds of hours assembling and painting it...

    Nor do you need a significant number of people local to you that play it to continue playing it yourself...
    <

  15. #215

    Re: Warhammer 9th Edition Roundup - Discussion

    Courage and forbearance to all lovers of Battle.
    I summarized here everything I lately collected, and you seem to ignore or misinterpret. I am not paid by anyone to deceive you. I’m the most confident about aesthetic and visual questions, and about skaven stuff. Friendly.

    Anyone who wants to know what there is in V9 has to imagine that this is the V8 ; it will be 90% right.
    Rule changes have been made to stabilize and streamline some points, particularly at the formation units and their interaction with the characters, from what I was told.
    About the armies that follow (“factions” J ) : they won’t be "bundling" of existing armies, but almost all new prospects. These are all new units with an aesthetic different from what we knew and new historic lines, new characters, we could almost consider some of them as new “races”. Nevertheless, each new release will be integrated into one or more pre-existent conventional armies. Some new units, for example, will just belong to “Forces of Order” or “Forces of Destruction”. No stress. You can keep your old collection (all your collection), and enjoy with it.
    V9 will not be just one book, but a box with other things such as a volume focused on two types of battles : clashes "lord of battles "in standard format creating links between games, and smaller battles with “pre-organised” armies (that's what you took for a skirmish game I think).
    About this “skirmish” game: I’m not completely sure about that : this has taken many different forms over the settings but it seems to be one of the most tested aspects in recent years by GW teams. It is not intended to be the main way to play Battle. Currently, forces will be selected from a list of predefined choices, more restrained that the currents army books, without worrying percentage points, points themselves will not so important anymore: it will be destabilizing for the old players, but the number of miniatures contained in a unit or its point value could be no longer as important as before in this system. Players would have the choice to comply or not the points. A book will summarize the possible choices for all existing armies. It was thought just for fun, and almost all special rules of existing models could be ignored because of it.
    About round bases : there would be a misunderstanding at this level too. Some Warhammer miniatures will indeed now sold on round bases, but it’s the consequence of some simplified rules and not a transition to a new system, or 40k-like, or I don’t know what. No link with the new “skirmish game”. The elements attached to units will be on round base (as skaven regimental weapons or dark elves cauldron of blood for example, but also characters according to pictures I’ve seen), are no longer joined the unit but move next to, and may have a round or oval base. But if your old version is not on a round base, you can still play with, no problem.
    About “waiting” armies : for the bretonnians, there is a book that will follow this year, but perhaps we can’t call this “army book” because it will be very different from what you had until then. It will be closer from the End Times books recently issued. There will be in it new units, which could join the Forces of Order, and very close from a Bretonnian army, but not only. For the Skavens, the amount of new stuff approaching is just unprecedented (although I have no visibility on dates). It won’t be really “skavens” as we knew them, but a sort of evolution type very nice and inspired. No merger with Chaos for them (anyway, no merger for anyone!). About Beastmen, they don’t have directly the same processing, to the best of my knowledge, but no doubt they will benefit from a wealth of new opportunities for chaos. I had no evidence that it’s matter of squatting them, nor nobody else.
    The quantity of new stuff for Battle will be just incredible, if all that is planed comes out. New releases will be essentially new entries, unique monsters, characters, and elite units of 2 to 5 figures. This will change progressively the overall appearance of the armies, with fewer miniatures (but larger). There will always be a place for large infantry units; however I don’t have a precise view of the new rules, that's why I can’t say if it will always be interesting to play big infantry units, or not.
    <

  16. #216
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,148

    Re: Warhammer 9th Edition Roundup - Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by BramGaunt View Post
    By that reasoning there never should be any gratitude in anything you pay for that isn't life sustaining. I get that people are angry, but just as some will have to accept that several people are going to be pissed off, these people will have to accept that there are people who will be happy about it. As always. If you chose bitternes, that's your cup to empty. Let people have their positive additude. Same goes the other way. People have every right to be angry. No need to be at each others throat. No one here is to blame, or all of us. I for myself chose a sceptic but positive stance on all of it.
    There's a lot of judgement going on in both directions. Personally, I think people who are pissed have every right to be so, and shouldn't feel chastised as being negative or having a negative attitude. You can be made angry and that anger is not indicative of attitude, it's indicative of you responding to something that legit pissed you off.

    Though, the post above me is somewhat heartening, if a little tricky to suss out due to translation.
    <

  17. #217
    Chapter Master Harry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    11,439

    Re: Warhammer 9th Edition Roundup - Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Sephillion View Post
    Sounds like Warseer speculation posted on Faeit as rumour.
    Pretty sure I have been saying something similar all along. This could well be something that sits alongside Warahmmer ... 'another way to enjoy Warhammer' much like Storm of Magic You could play big Magic , big monster games if you wanted but it was not compulsory .... Could be this will be 'You can play post apoc' skirmish games but it is not compulsory ... and Warhammer will continue ... as it is for a while longer. But that does not seem to fit with the rumours .....

    Quote Originally Posted by Montegue View Post
    They didn't give it to you. You purchased it. And then you spent your hard earned time and money to keep and maintain it. And if that time and hard earned money was invested in an army that's now going to be dead and buried, you have every right to be seriously pissed off at GW. There is exactly zero justification for gratitude if you're a Lizardman, Dwarf, Ogre, or Tomb Kings player.
    You missed Bretonnians and Empire from that list. As I have said in previous rumours ... They seem to me to be prime targets .... These two were top of my list when I first started to think about which armies would not appear in whatever came next.

    I have to say ... I am with Darnock. I deeply regretted when the bits service went that I did not put in a big order for all the bits I wanted. I never imagined that it would disappear as completely as it did. I convinced myself ... 'they will still sell those' ... 'they can't get rid of those' ...etc. So when I heard metal was going I made a point of picking up as much as I could of the stuff I really wanted before it disappeared and was harder to get hold of....and I am glad I did. I am doing the same with plastic. I am looking at kits that I have planned to get anyway ... and buying them now....Just in case.

    For me ... I love all my armies .. I loved the minis, loved collecting them and regret nothing. However ... I like 8th edition and have collected all the army books for my armies still want to collect some of the new kits so I can have models for all the army options. I would regret having unfinished armies with kits that I couldn't get hold of to complete them.
    Last edited by Harry; 17-02-2015 at 20:59.
    Founding father of J.A.D.E.D. Jerks Against Directors Extraordinary Decisions.
    My Project Log "This week I have mostly been painting ...."
    My other log of Vintage stuff: "A Blast from the Past"
    You might also like: "'Ere be Giants"
    <

  18. #218
    Chapter Master Lars Porsenna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Easton, PA, USA
    Posts
    2,947

    Re: Warhammer 9th Edition Roundup - Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    I am doing the same with plastic. I am looking at kits that I have planned to get anyway ... and buying them now....Just in case.
    Indeed. This is exactly what I am doing now. I just got another box of Night Goblins today, in fact. Next paycheck I'll pick up a 2nd box, and onto HE Phoenix Guard after that. I had a bunch of the metal 2nd gen ones, sold them off when the plastics came out (as I liked those better), with the idea "well I'll get to them when I do." Now I feel I HAVE to, just in case they disappear forever.

    Damon.
    "Nicht kleckern, klotzen!"

    A Mtlhd of Wrsr

    My Minis Blog: minislikedust.blogspot.com
    My Book Blog: bookslikedust.blogspot.com
    <

  19. #219
    Veteran Sergeant armyofmites's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    FR
    Posts
    75

    Re: Warhammer 9th Edition Roundup - Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikitlagriffe View Post
    The quantity of new stuff for Battle will be just incredible
    I'd like to trust you 300%. About the Beastmen too, about everything you say. But, you know, internet, rumours, etc..
    <

  20. #220
    Veteran Sergeant Timofeo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    FL, USA
    Posts
    103

    Re: Warhammer 9th Edition Roundup - Discussion

    On the point about armies getting no new releases, I would like to think that rolling back production on some lines to spend less money and allow for new releases may mean that if fantasy becomes stable again selling at a 40k rate for instance. They will then be able to bring out things they cut such as a new lizardmen unit and the slanns return.
    "You either die a serious poster or you live long enough to see yourself become a troll."
    <

Page 11 of 33 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •