Page 2 of 33 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Warhammer 9th Edition Roundup - Discussion

Re: Warhammer 9th Edition Roundup - Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by popisdead View Post
    Just a small point. Locally there is no such thing as a "yellow date" or "red date". Our local GW manager suspects that is made up or not within NA.
    The plot thickens. Added.
    <

Quote Originally Posted by popisdead View Post
    Just a small point. Locally there is no such thing as a "yellow date" or "red date".

Our local GW manager suspects that is made up or not within NA.
    Not in UK either as far as I can tell, my friend is a store manager and is goingon holiday for two weeks around the alleged red date.
    <

Veteran Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Haravikk View Post
    The rumour of a new human holy order sounds a big bogus IMO; the whole point of simplifying into a handful of factions would be meaningless if they're just going to introduce "chaos but the opposite" as a very vanilla and boring sounding faction; the appeal of the Empire is that it's so flawed, and while I don't like Dwarfs being rolled into it, it will at least reinforce the Empire's diversity. But the thing I like best about the Empire is that while it's opposed to chaos, it's not strictly good or pure (just as the high elves haven't always been scions of light).

I'm just wondering if maybe it's a kind of agents of Order type thing in opposition of Chaos, maybe some kind of ally type units intended to mix in with forces fighting against chaos? This could be an interesting, but a full-sized faction would be a huge mistake, especially when there are going to be a lot of disgruntled players who don't like what's happened to their favourite army.

The question mark for me is the supposed squatting of Lizardmen; they were a very popular army, and one of the more original IPs included in the Warhammer world. I could understand them not being included in the simplified initial lineup, but it seems like they might return through supplements; after all they've been written "out" in such a way they can easily return. If it is agents of Order rather than an actual holy knights faction, then Lizardmen may make sense in support of this.
    According to the rumours, there will be no "empire". Just like there wont be a brettonia. Combined human faction.
    <

Chapter Master

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Dan View Post
    40K is next :
    They better not be doing 8th edition so soon. I wouldnt be opposed to an End Times like campaign.

Ahem, now back on fantasy, nice roundup. There were a few tidbits I had missed.
    'Life is a journey. Time is a river. The door is ajar'
    <

Quote Originally Posted by Sephillion View Post
    They better not be doing 8th edition so soon. I wouldn’t be opposed to an End Times like campaign.
    That depends on if after it is done we end up with literal Bubble Marines...

Damon.
    "Nicht kleckern, klotzen!"

A Mtlhd of Wrsr

My Minis Blog: minislikedust.blogspot.com
    My Book Blog: bookslikedust.blogspot.com
    <

Quote Originally Posted by Lars Porsenna View Post
    That depends on if after it is done we end up with literal Bubble Marines...

Damon.
    Crazy speculation alert!!!!:

The rumored shake-up for 40k is the reveal that one of the missing space marine legions was sent into the warp by the emperor on a mission to destroy chaos at its source as much as possible. These marines have been in the warp for centuries, unable to resupply new weapons or ammunition so using only close combat weapons found in the warp (magic swords and what not). When the warhammer fantasy world devolves into the realm of chaos these warp-marines feel the disturbance and appear to wreck Archaon's face, ending the reign of chaos in the fantasy universe, at least for now...

Wow so cool! Look 40kers, there's a new space marine faction out and they're even more-better than regular marines! But wait-- there's more! You can also play them in Warhammer Fantasy, representing those that stayed in the bubbleverse to help the normal humans fight against their foes! So awesome!
    <

Would this rumoured "red date" be something related to the 40th anniversary of the first GW store that Ian Livingstone has been tweeting about recently?
    <

Quote Originally Posted by Ludaman View Post
    Crazy speculation alert!!!!:

The rumored shake-up for 40k is the reveal that one of the missing space marine legions was sent into the warp by the emperor on a mission to destroy chaos at its source as much as possible. These marines have been in the warp for centuries, unable to resupply new weapons or ammunition so using only close combat weapons found in the warp (magic swords and what not). When the warhammer fantasy world devolves into the realm of chaos these warp-marines feel the disturbance and appear to wreck Archaon's face, ending the reign of chaos in the fantasy universe, at least for now...

Wow so cool! Look 40kers, there's a new space marine faction out and they're even more-better than regular marines! But wait-- there's more! You can also play them in Warhammer Fantasy, representing those that stayed in the bubbleverse to help the normal humans fight against their foes! So awesome!
    That would actually make a lot of sense from a business standpoint. They're probably itching to make another faction that works in two systems like Daemons.
    <

Quote Originally Posted by Gobskrag 'Eadbasha View Post
    That would actually make a lot of sense from a business standpoint. They're probably itching to make another faction that works in two systems like Daemons.
    Remember all that previous talk (from Harry?) about the 'unseen' race?
    <

Quote Originally Posted by Icarus81 View Post
    Remember all that previous talk (from Harry?) about the 'unseen' race?
    Yup. INTRODUCING THE NEW BUBBLEMAR- I MEAN ANGELS OF ORDER! YEAH, THAT'S IT! USE THEM IN 40K AS ORDER ANGELS!
    <

A couple of bits from around pages 157-165 of the huge "Warhammer -And Now For Something Completely Different" thread...
    Quote Originally Posted by mattdc
    with credit to WhisperofTruth, found this in Dakkadakka

Posting this has been long overdue, but I've never been one to actively partake in forum discussion due to time constraints more than anything. That being said I have a little information on 9th edition, information that will probably create more questions than it actually answers, but info which I hope can address some of the rumours about 9th itself.

One of the scariest rumours about 9th is undoubted that the mini ranges we know and love will be squatted, and this is correct, to an extent. The ranges will be getting completely revamped, some units will disappear into nothingness, new units will arise in wake of their fall and a select few may just survive the End Times. The essence of these lost unit, and the essence of warhammer itself will be kept alive in these new ranges however, you'll be able to see recognisable units from Oldhammer in Newhammer. One of the key driving motivators behind reducing the range is the cost of carrying such vast ranges, Warhammer in it's current state is not selling well enough to justify the cost, so compressing the range into factions will bare similar styles in order to save shelf space and hence the game some much needed room to breathe was seen as the way forward. This will also help to reduce the redundancy of similar unit types in the same army. Lets take Orcs and Goblins for example; You have Squig Herds, Squig Hoppers and Bosses on even bigger squigs all in one army. Three units all very similar in concept. Wouldn't it more sense from a business point of view to combine these three unit into one unit of let's say; Gobbos on Great Cave Squigs in order to remove redundancy and save shelf space? Absolutely and that's the sort of thing we'll be seeing in the future, a unit familiar in concept that combines several traditional ideas into one. In general though, the change to the ranges will take the opportunity to further entrench the IP, the units that survive the ET will be units that "define" their armies, things like common goblins will go the way of the squat. (Although will still be useable as I illustrate later.)

That being said, miniatures, and armies in general, will be taking forth new aesthetic styles due to the emergence of combined factions. New units for these factions will combine the look of all the current armies that make up that faction, and mood it into one new defining aesthetic that wouldn't look completely out of place in Oldhammer, yet still easily definable as something new. For a few of the future factions, we've already begun to see the emergence of this new look into the ranges in recent releases. With this change, you can also expect a evolution on the way Warhammer units look. The game will shift towards smaller elite types more in style with units like the Putrid Blightkings. From what I understood new models of say; Chaos Warriors and Black Orcs for example would become larger on an individual sense, but smaller as a unit where you might have only 5 models in the unit. This allows you too buy of box of say 20 goblins and still have that box represent a horde.

As armies go, your models will still be available in some form, just not the form you now recognise. There's no reason you can't use your old Human models to represent the new Human models in game. As for rebasing your models, will you have to rebase them? Well as I understood it, yes and no. From what I gathered the game was moving to a skirmish game format with options for models to rank up in slot-trays, so technically if you always kept your models in appropriately sized movement trays you be able to play with your old square based models, you just wouldn't be able to skirmish them. The option to rank up or skirmish, always he's to make the game scalable, and as such more open to beginners.

I hope that answers a few questions for you all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Turgol
    Some more from WhispererofTruth on Dakka. If true, Iam calling it: savage black orcs!

Some information I have on some of the factions;

The Chaos faction will be mostly Daemons, with a few tacked on units from the other two books. This of course means the Chaos faction will be the largest faction, but it will be joined by units which are firmly entrenched in the GW IP and as such can't be copied by other manufacturers. A certain aspect of Chaos is going the way of the squat for this very reason, Hint: The gods are still there. Due to the nature of the new world, or pocket worlds rather, where Chaos is everywhere, Daemons will form the bulk of the Chaos armies. Generic stuff like Warhounds won't be sticking around in place of units like Flesh Hounds.

All the Orc and Goblin concepts will be combined into singular new concepts. Savage/Orcs/Black Orcs becoming one type of Orc for example. I initially heard way back that two armies would be joining the O&G, one would replace trolls, the other would lend some of it's concepts to the new O&G while being squatted themselves. Although the nature of the rules would let you imitate that squatted faction in Newhammer. Squigs and other O&G beasties will be made more predominant in place of boars, due to their IP able nature. I also heard Orcs would become, "Orks", but I'm not entirely sure if that was a joke.

Alot of Undead units are very similar with the combined list and as such alot of units will be going away. Ushabti for example and the Casket/Black Coach which are fairly redundant in light of the Mortis Engine. The concept of constructs will stay around in some form or the other. The Morghasts for example.

Skaven keep their more tech and frankenstein-esque units to define the armies new look. Plaguey and sneaky Shaven take the back seat.

Warmachines in general will be mounted on other units, to again save shelf space, and also to suit the more mobile style of a skirmish game better.

Other than that all I know has already been said tbh or is blatantly obvious. (Elves are a faction and Snape killed Dumbledore.)

Also, this little tidbit from Harry on page 158 of the same thread that got lost in the tide but seems rather important...
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry
    The faction thing is the Warahmmer World post End Times.
    The bubble thing (however they try to sell it) is how you still get to play with your lovingly collected and painted Empire/Bretonnian/Lizardman/High Elf/etc .... army post End Times.

The new factions can not exist in the same world as the original armies.
    <

Veteran Sergeant

a couple of years ago there were rumours of an "angelic" codex.
    maybe this is it?
    <

Veteran Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by nonnopj View Post
    a couple of years ago there were rumours of an "angelic" codex.
    maybe this is it?
    What if this new faction of "bubble marines faction" was a dual Sisters of Battle (40k) and Angelic Heroes (Fantasy)... They are pretty much the only existing army to match the angelic theme.
    <

Veteran Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Kherith View Post
    Not in UK either as far as I can tell, my friend is a store manager and is goingon holiday for two weeks around the alleged red date.
    It would be great if you can ask your friend why his post Christmas sales meeting when they gather the store managers at a hotel for training, etc which normally takes place in late January has moved to March then? Yellow dates and red dates are not called this by most store staff but it is a phrase used by Nottingham staff about important release dates and my information has a red date in lMay.

Don't forget your friend can loose his job over the early release of information so maybe he's just been cautious? As a side note you've just told the world he's on holiday in May for two weeks. How long do you think HR in Nottingham will take to reduce that list of possible managers on holiday for two weeks in May down to one?
    Last edited by isthatnew?; 12-02-2015 at 21:50.
    <

Banned

Yea I wouldn't want anyone to lose a job. That being said I come to this website to learn about my dwarves and ogres. Ogre information just came out recently so I'm cool with that..... for now. What I really want is to hear something concrete about dwarves. Other than them being deader than disco there hasn't been much.
    <

Everyone is going crazy with the "squatting." Does that really mean lizards and dwarves and whomever are gone forever?

In my head it would seem real easy for GW to make a unit of say lizards or dwarves put out some rules and say "hey new unit to add to some existing faction". Kind of like Dogs of War used to be (may MY beloved army R.I.P).
    <

Quote Originally Posted by Dargon View Post
    A couple of bits from around pages 157-165 of the huge "Warhammer -And Now For Something Completely Different" thread...

Also, this little tidbit from Harry on page 158 of the same thread that got lost in the tide but seems rather important...
    Thanks, and great finds! I added everything to their respective sections in the OP.
    <

Banned

Hmm, I'd hope that Krell would come out of things unscathed, but it wouldn't surprise me if GW killed him off as an excuse to do away with his old resin model.
    <

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Dan View Post
    The plot thickens. Added.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kherith View Post
    In Continental Europe it is. Also, Managers are not supposed to talk about this kind of stuff. 'Red' and 'Yellow' also doesn't mean 'no holiday' - yellow simply means 'expect more customers then usual' - eg a new Marine Codex - and red means 'expect significantly more customers then usual' - new rulebooks and such. If your friend happens to have a well trained staff at his or her disposal, he can go on a holiday as he wishes. Just saying =)
    We both read the rumour, day and night,
    but you read black where I read white.

Quote Originally Posted by Scryer in the Darkness View Post
    (After someone claimed he was Phill Kelly) The real Phil Kelly would know how to spell his first name correctly.
    <

Chapter Master

Quote Originally Posted by BramGaunt View Post
    In Continental Europe it is. Also, Managers are not supposed to talk about this kind of stuff. 'Red' and 'Yellow' also doesn't mean 'no holiday' - yellow simply means 'expect more customers then usual' - eg a new Marine Codex - and red means 'expect significantly more customers then usual' - new rulebooks and such. If your friend happens to have a well trained staff at his or her disposal, he can go on a holiday as he wishes. Just saying =)
    GW has moved on to 1 Man Stores i think perhaps with few exceptions for very large stores.
    <

Page 2 of 33 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast