Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Warhammer 9th Edition Roundup - RR version

Updated 6/4/15, 9:30AM EST

Overview

Release:
    Quote Originally Posted by Darnok
    [9th will be released] ... Around July.
    Quote Originally Posted by Birdy Prime
    '9th' [or] whatever is next for fantasy [...] coming 2015 in the summer.
    Quote Originally Posted by DVeight View Post
    9th Edition release date has been locked in for 11th July.
    NEW
    Quote Originally Posted by jascarr4 View Post
    If you want to buy up any 8th edition stuff, get it before Saturday, 6/6/15!!!
    NEW
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    6th of June is not when something is coming ...it is when something is going. That is when .... it is rumoured ... that Warhammer as we know it is going!
    Starter Box:
    Quote Originally Posted by Oloh View Post
    From BOLS:
    [Boxed Set] Will include good guys (the Forces of Light) versus Chaos – in a loose fashion. The Boxed Set is set in a former city of the Empire (save your breathe, it’s NOT Mordheim), but luckily the End Times offers up plenty of new choices. Boxed Set includes a campaign at a skirmish level and is firmly designed to introduce new players into the game at this smaller model-count level.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brother Dimetrius
    [Chaos]: Two characters, one exclusive; five miniatures cavalry, ten warriors of Chaos, Chaos demons d5, some kind of monster Chaos.
    Light: Two characters 10 holy warriors 10 warriors of the new faction, five holy knights on horseback, dwarf war machine.
    [The knights for the light faction resemble Grail Knights]
    NEW
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthurius11 View Post
    Box set will be chaos faction vs human faction. There are armoured warriors in a way like chaos warriors but on the side of order. There is a small rules book / pamphlet included. Models are on round bases.

As Harry said the human faction is not going to be just "sigmar knights". And the chaos is a mix of khorne models with warriors and demons and a pretty cool character model
    NEW
    Chaos is Khorne and the humans are Sigmarines... I mean Holy warriors/warriors of sigmar..whatever. (EDIT: So the contents posted above sounds about right) Contents very similar to the recent 40K boxes ... nothing like the big box games of the past. Tiny rulebook/pamphlet. ... heard this from various different sources over a period of months ... even before the new look 40K boxes appeared.

I think it all kicks off with the box set I have hinted at for some time with Chaos V's humans. The human faction will be more than just Sigmar Knights ... it will have regular Humans in it and everyting and I think the Chaos in the box will be Khorne themed. This will be quickly followed by a bunch of other Human and chaos releases. I suspect after these have had their moment in the spotlight they will crack on with the next couple of armies ...
    It is not a 'normal' Fantasy box set. It is more like the recent 40K Box sets. The rules "book" is tiny... barely a booklet even a pamphlet is being over generous ... more of a leaflet ... well I say leaflet, it's closer to a 'post it note'. ... never mind space for enough rules to call it a skirmish game. If Fischer Price made wargames this would be Fischer Price my first wargame.
    Quote Originally Posted by A Friend
    And about the starter... Dwarves and [knights with] the new empire. It [seems] that the main book [merges] some races, but whit small books like astra miliarum and militarum tempestus, u can make a single army of dwarves for example.
    Quote Originally Posted by BramGaunt View Post
    Starter sets with exclusive miniatures in form of snapfits are, as far as I gathered, a thing of the past.
    New Production/Release Model:
    Quote Originally Posted by Faeit
    Expect armies to have fewer units in their core books, which will be heavily focused on the fluff for where they are now, what they've been doing in the centuries immediately following the sundering. This will create a more "balanced" pool as they will be rapidly produced and released (consider a scale even somewhat faster than what we've had for 40k these past few years). ... These will then be expanded on with supplements, not intended as money-grabs (as I am sure they will be received by the majority of your readers), but more as guided hands to acknowledge deficiencies in books, or even "global meta" changes. The first time that Games Workshop will be openly acknowledging things that need changes. These units will typically get white dwarf rules treatments heralding the release in hardback of all of the new units from the previous month(s), for a new setting expansion, which will pit several of the races together (representing a collision).
    Quote Originally Posted by Another Birdy
    Each new faction has like 3 core units that will always be on the shelf. Much faster releases of stuff, mainly characters and special units of 2-5 fancy models (like Morghasts) that have their own rules right in the box, so not dependent on a static army book. Many of the these non-core models are only available for a limited time (say 6 months to a year), so they don't take up shelf space forever and ever. Many existing models are not usable in 9th.
    There may be a switch to softcover books in the future, with at least the newest (previously only hardback) 8th edition TK book now seen in softcover:
    Quote Originally Posted by SanDiegoSurrealist View Post
    Attachment 205874 Picture taken today at a GW store in UK.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermanesq View Post
    I've been told GW have actually bought a printer to do softback editions in house. This could go some way to relate to the relative quick reprint of the TK books in softback, as well as the ET books that have been released.
    Faction Reduction:
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry
    the only way to own the IP is to loose all the generic Fantasy that other companies can copy ... normal Dwarves, Elves and sure as heck you have to get rid of the historical based human armies ... or you can go build an Empire or Bretonnian army from anyone's miniatures.
    NEW
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry
    They are as described .... seeing these pictures does not give me anymore hope that my lovely Lizardmen army will see any more support in the future .... what I see is a studio army painted up for the ... "look fellas you can still use your old models in the new edition" photograph. ... and the "Hey fellas, it does not matter what bases your minis are on ... you can use your old square based minis right along side any new mins you paint that come with round bases ... " - article in White Dwarf.

[Lizardmen] are no more, no less shafted than anyone else.
    Quote Originally Posted by WhispersofTruth on DakkaDakka
    One of the scariest rumours about 9th is undoubted that the mini ranges we know and love will be squatted, and this is correct, to an extent. The ranges will be getting completely revamped, some units will disappear into nothingness, new units will arise in wake of their fall and a select few may just survive the End Times. ...

The Chaos faction will be mostly Daemons, with a few tacked on units from the other two books. This of course means the Chaos faction will be the largest faction, but it will be joined by units which are firmly entrenched in the GW IP and as such can't be copied by other manufacturers. A certain aspect of Chaos is going the way of the squat for this very reason, Hint: The gods are still there. Due to the nature of the new world, or pocket worlds rather, where Chaos is everywhere, Daemons will form the bulk of the Chaos armies. Generic stuff like Warhounds won't be sticking around in place of units like Flesh Hounds.

All the Orc and Goblin concepts will be combined into singular new concepts. Savage/Orcs/Black Orcs becoming one type of Orc for example. I initially heard way back that two armies would be joining the O&G, one would replace trolls, the other would lend some of it's concepts to the new O&G while being squatted themselves. Although the nature of the rules would let you imitate that squatted faction in Newhammer. Squigs and other O&G beasties will be made more predominant in place of boars, due to their IP able nature. I also heard Orcs would become, "Orks", but I'm not entirely sure if that was a joke.

Alot of Undead units are very similar with the combined list and as such alot of units will be going away. Ushabti for example and the Casket/Black Coach which are fairly redundant in light of the Mortis Engine. The concept of constructs will stay around in some form or the other. The Morghasts for example.

Skaven keep their more tech and frankenstein-esque units to define the armies new look. Plaguey and sneaky Shaven take the back seat.

Warmachines in general will be mounted on other units, to again save shelf space, and also to suit the more mobile style of a skirmish game better.

7 Champions and an army of light. No more Lizardmen, but still playable. No more Gnoblars/Skinks. They become Goblins. No more Beastmen. Elves become more Eldary, units take on aspects of their gods. There are some units like the Blood Knights that I expected to survive into 9th, but the events of the books have made me doubt this is going to happen anymore. They were due to be updated. Plus it fits with the new merging unit policy, not sure that's happening anymore though. Something similar happened to the Bone Giant, that being said I heard the Bone Giant was getting a redesign and a release some point in the future.
    Quote Originally Posted by Another Birdy
    9th edition will have 6 factions. Model diversity cut in half shelf space. New world and new age so current factions and lore aren't recognizable at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Faeit
    Faction reduction to 6 - true
    Quote Originally Posted by EarlyBird
    factions :
    1) Chaos : Demons + Beasts + Mortals
    2) Elves
    3) Empire
    4) Undead
    5) Orcs and Goblins
    6) Skavens
    Quote Originally Posted by Scaryscarymushroom View Post
    A list of units "that will survive 9th" according to WhispererofTruth:

http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum...6.page#7573530
    [WhispersofTruth] later posted that [the above] list is accurate, but incomplete, meaning there may be additional kits that survive that are not listed, with the implication being that you should be OK to purchase and paint these kits (but not base).
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikitlagriffe View Post
    About “waiting” armies : for the bretonnians, there is a book that will follow this year, but perhaps we can’t call this “army book” because it will be very different from what you had until then. It will be closer from the End Times books recently issued. There will be in it new units, which could join the Forces of Order, and very close from a Bretonnian army, but not only. For the Skavens, the amount of new stuff approaching is just unprecedented (although I have no visibility on dates). It won’t be really “skavens” as we knew them, but a sort of evolution type very nice and inspired. No merger with Chaos for them (anyway, no merger for anyone!). About Beastmen, they don’t have directly the same processing, to the best of my knowledge, but no doubt they will benefit from a wealth of new opportunities for chaos. I had no evidence that it’s matter of squatting them, nor nobody else.
    Quote Originally Posted by A Friend
    I only know that dwarves and bretonnians are merged whit the new empire. But im [confused] about undead, cause [the] defenders of [Mousillon] and sylvania seems to be loyal to the new empire.
    Quote Originally Posted by silveralen View Post
    I also heard the 6 faction thing is... kinda correct but a bit oversimplified. You will have 6 core factions, but they are typically made up of subfactions each of which might belong to multiple core factions. For example, I was told vampires and ogres would both exist as their own subfaction, but would be present in multiple main faction lists. I am not sure exactly what factions vampires would be in besides undead, unless they two of the six core factions are undead for some reason, so I don't exactly know what to make of that.
    New Faction:
    Quote Originally Posted by Birdy
    New faction... heavily armoured, religious, "good" human warriors fighting with the power of the gods. (Warhammer Space Marines, basically). Karl Franz Ascended seems to be the prototype or precursor for this concept, AFAICT.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Karl Franz View Post
    According to the rumors from DakkaDakka, the new holy Knights will be similar in concept to Grail Knights, but won't actually be an evolution of Grail Knights or descended from them. That seems to indicate that this future human faction won't have any real ties to the Bretonnia of old, and will be entirely Empire based.
    Quote Originally Posted by duffybear1988 View Post
    I have heard that the new holy knight models are fat, golden and not exactly normal looking. Which I think means bulky and baroque with a gold paint job.
    Along with the Matrix-esque suggestion that everything will be a new faction:
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikitlagriffe View Post
    About the armies that follow (“factions” J ) : they won’t be "bundling" of existing armies, but almost all new prospects. These are all new units with an aesthetic different from what we knew and new historic lines, new characters, we could almost consider some of them as new “races”. Nevertheless, each new release will be integrated into one or more pre-existent conventional armies. Some new units, for example, will just belong to “Forces of Order” or “Forces of Destruction”. No stress. You can keep your old collection (all your collection), and enjoy with it.
    Theme
    Quote Originally Posted by leonates1980 View Post
    I just heard they are changing the setting and Warhammer goes into dark steampunk style - that would fit the whole "300 years later" thing. And another thing is this - big kits, steamtanks and variations (chaos engines, elvish magic constructs) are to be centerpieces and fill in the same role as in 40k. It could be complete ******** of course but it DOES looks promising. Anybody remembers Flintlock system?
    Quote Originally Posted by WhispersofTruth
    The game will become more Fantasy like, less cannons and warmachines. More magical. It's not just the "Humans" that get empowered by the gods all factions will experience this.
    I would imagine a bigger face lift than just a few round bases if I were you. Generic medieval fantasy castles? .... not really part of the new look.

Models
    Quote Originally Posted by duffybear1988 View Post
    I said the chaos dragon was on the way, but I didn't say when. I deliberately kept that rumour out of the Archaon thread because I wasn't sure when it would arrive.
    NEW
    Quote Originally Posted by 75hastings69 View Post
    AFAIK Tomb Kings Bone Giant/Collossus thingy was completed around the time of the latest WE treeman, whether it got a mold made is unknown to me, brets is a much simpler answer, the last I heard was that they had no idea what to do with them at all, and AFAIK the only thing I ever heard about was a CAD image that was seen for a Hippogriff (so obviously a plastic kit) I do not think anything ever happened with this, I don't even know for sure it was for Brets (that was just assumption on my behalf) there was no rider reported to me just the mount, then everything went quiet..... I get the problem with Brets totally, I mean apart from adding maybe knights on foot and changing some of the existing options to plastic where would you go with them from their fluff, they don't really use war machines, they don't use monsters, they are solely human in appearance, it really limits what you can do to develop them, especially when compared to two other human(esque in the case of chaos) forces that pretty much have access to everything from technology to monsters and beyond, sadly I think Brets were always going to be the first casualty if any squatting was to be done.
    From BOLS: WFB 9th will kick off a new set of products that cover not only the new surviving factions, but new modular terrain pieces that support the game at all size levels and reflect the new “Post End-Times” world.
    Last edited by Lord Dan; 04-06-2015 at 14:28.