Thread: Dark Heresy: New group and first time GM.

Dark Heresy: New group and first time GM.

Ok.

Me and my friends want to try a RPG, like a couple of sessions.

Ok, Let me tell you about me and my friends first. (That is; Me: A semi-professional film-director/actor, One Cosplayer, One Amateur Theatre Actor/Console Gamer, one Console gamer who's into acting and film and such, and maybe some more Gamers/actors).

1: None of them knows anything about 40k (or at least the universe), which is good, since that prevents all this meta-knowledge stuff in a Dark heresy game.

2: We're interested in testing Dark heresy (first edition), 'cause there are many RPG settings, but the only player who's outspoken, although liking the Chtulhu mood with sanity loss and mysteries and all, wants a grimdark dystopic future-setting. That player also showed interest in playing a sanctioned psyker, and the more I told about the dangers of being a psyker, the more interested the player got.

3: We want to try some sessions of this, or maybe other, RPGs, before we decide if we want to find an experienced GM, and which RPG we want to play. In these Trial sessions, I'll be the GM.

4: Although I'm into writing scripts and dramaturgy and am going to read this GM book called "Never Unprepared", I'm very new, and since I personally would want to play a Sister Militant, I'm having the idea of making an all sister militant team (Starting at the militant rank) (If we get five players we can have 1 superior, 2 bolters, 1 special and 1 heavy. Maybe even a sixth player as a priest), and put them on some fighting mission, like seven samurai style defence mission, BUT, I feel they want less action and more investigation, and I doubt they'd want to play sisters, especially the "in character" part. They are very not-sister like. (I'd however love to portray a sister). I don't think I even want to let them play sisters outside an All-sister warband. And I think they'd prefer to choose their own careers and personalities to portray. (I don't know whether they would want to be "Themselves: 40k", or if they, like me, want to go all in into hardcore "in character" roleplay, and really portray the character they play, making the choices the characters would choose rather than what they themselves would do in such situations. (I for instance would, assuming I wouldn't die instantly in the 41st millennia, most likely be a slaaneshi cultist, but, I can feel for a sister, and thus would really want to try to portray one)). Their lack of 40k background knowledge makes a good base for an investigation mission. It's not like they know who Slaanesh is. (Even tough I've painted the mark of slaanesh with booze on one of their foreheads and said "She Who Thirst blesses you!" while really drunk).

_If you're skipping the wall of text, This is the important question_

So I need some good ideas for some investigation mission for some low level characters, that has both social interaction, action, sanity loss/Corruption, Surprises (Like the small criminal gang happens to be part of a slaaneshi-worshipping cult, trying to summon daemons and such), and dungeon crawl cooperation elements. I can and will write a good(-ish) scenario, but I would love some tips on how to make it diverse, and mostly, how to make it neither too short nor too long (And absolutely not too slow). But I won't refuse any good ideas.

[This unimportant part is just me venting out my and my friends frustration, it doesn't really contribute to the thread]

The thing is, The guys at the game store which we visited where ever so helpful, flocking around my friends like moths, talking about all kind of RPGs (Arkham horror and Dark Heresy was the most popular/interesting for my friends), and they said that we could find a GM within seconds on local facebook RPG groups, (I had to quickly say that that's exactly the kind of GM we do not want). And one of the guys kept telling me that the RPG community needs more people like my friends, something I did not like to hear. My friends are humans, not pieces of meat/cattle for the RPG community to appreciate, and we found it very sexist that they got lots of attention and admirations. We hope to find a GM who doesn't treat my friends differently because they're all girls or has pre-assumptions ("Ooooh, they're girls! They probably want to play sisters!"). We'll probably have to talk to and screen each GM who shows interest.

[Ratmen postures and voices] "Looooooooooove ussss!" "Beeeee our queeeeeeeeeeen!"
    (Me and my friends imitating such guys the day after.)
    Last edited by inq.serge; 07-03-2015 at 02:10.

Chapter Master

Re: Dark Heresy: New group and first time GM.

If you want a time limit on a plot then the ritual that needs to be completed at a specific time is a good one - the players start by breaking up some form of theft or ritual and then work their way backwards trying to figure out what the cultists were up to.

Once they've picked up a few clues as to what they are facing another identical theft/ritual to the first is brought to their attention - this time successful in the group's absence - but rushed/clumsy enough that the group can track down a live target / their plans and put the pieces together to figure out that in a few weeks/days there will be the opportunity for some form of significant heretical action to take place, unleashing daemons or the like.

Believing they know what the cultists have and what they still need for the ritual the group can then try to head them off before they get the final piece of the puzzle only to find the cultists a step ahead of them having already secured this (unbeknownst to the group) at an earlier stage, and having set a trap for the group. Queue fight with the sub-boss which the party wins, but not before the sub-boss has a chance to gloat/bet/or otherwise give away some key clue as to the location of the final ritual.

Preferably somewhere the group can't just call down an orbital strike/wrath of the arbites/etc on. Alternatively it's too late to stop the ritual but the second in command had plans on screwing over their boss and had slipped a little something of his own into the ritual which the group can use against the newly empowered final boss.

Awesome idéa! I really like it, I'll try to work around that plot.

Banned
    Maps used to say there were dragons here...

What kind of things do they enjoy? I think its good to talk to them first and see things that interest them, try and incorporate some of those things in. Does someone find the occult interesting? scary protagonists summoning creatures from the depths of hell(warp) Loves mad max films? Chase sequence on bikes/cars through city? Likes martial arts/fighting films? Bar room brawl/fight on a rooftop (loser gets pushed off, check fate to see whether youcan catch onto a ledge in time. Enclosed murder mysteries (poirot etc)? Murder on orient express/Kessian Grav Train as it moves through Gunmetal city/Snowpiercer.

Ive run a few myself and can honestly say that you want a few big hooks that really grab them, wanting to come back for more. Add to that a nemesis/protagonist and some scary investigative happenings with some combat/action/adventure and you should have the makings of some great sessions. If you want to talk over ideas on Skype feel free to let me know here then I can add you and chat about things you could put in
    Last edited by Inquisitor Kallus; 13-03-2015 at 19:55.

Sorry for taking such time.

I'd love to have some discussions trough skype, but I'd prefer to finish reading the rulebook first. (I just got DH 2e).

May I ask, there are no non-nurgle daemons in the DH 2e rulebook, but are the rules for daemons from black crusade and black crusade: Tome of excess compatible with DH 2

Chapter Master

Quote Originally Posted by inq.serge View Post
    May I ask, there are no non-nurgle daemons in the DH 2e rulebook, but are the rules for daemons from black crusade and black crusade: Tome of excess compatible with DH 2
    I've only seen an early version of the DH 2e rules so i'm not particularly familiar with them but they seem roughly comparable.

Obviously there may be issues with rules that don't translate well across editions, just something to double check and fix up before the game.

Looking, and comparing the rules between the daemonettes in BC and plague-bearers in DH2, stat and rule-name wise, there's no problem using the slaaneshi daemons from BC and BC:ToE, using other stuff however might get difficult, but those kind of characters are pretty much covered in the DH2 bestiary.

Banned
    Maps used to say there were dragons here...

You might get some use out of this forum

https://community.fantasyflightgames...econd-edition/

I have to admit, even though Ive run a fair few DH sessions and am highly immersed in the lore and that of 40k, I have not played 2nd edition yet so rules wise I cannot help specifically.