Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: All Quiet on the Martian Front

Chapter Master

Re: All Quiet on the Martian Front

I'm blaming you Easy E....YOU!

All part of the plan Bulldog. All part of the plan....mwahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

It took a while thanks to real-life and the fact that there were a lot of 15mm infantry to paint, but I have got them painted. The basing still needs to be done, but.....

and a closer look at them.

Now that those are done, I can move onto the Steam Tanks! They will be much easier to paint.
    Do you like free wargames?
    http://bloodandspectacles.blogspot.com/

I got a chance to put together my Steam Tanks from the starter set and my command tank. These kits went together really easily, just like the Plastic tripods. They practically snapped together without any glue.

We have three MarkII Steam Tanks. However, I used the wrong 4 LB gun. I guess these are more modern versions. I really love the design of the MarkII, it was ont of the things that made me want to play AQMF. Then, the ones with three cannons are the MarkIII tanks. I have 3 of those too. Obviously, the last one is the markIIc Command Tank.

I got my MKII Steam Tanks painted up.

This took way too long for that type of result. I need to find a way to do it faster. I think an Airbrush would really help on these guys.

4x! I blame photobucket!

7 months later and I have my first AAR....

AQMF- Battle of Camp Release
    The commanding officer at Fort Ridgely has suddenly been flooded by refugees from further up the Minnesota River Valley, an event eerily like the start of the last Dakota War. However, the Dakota had long since been moved to the reservations. From their jumbled tales, he suspects that the War of the Worlds has come to his sleepy command. Quickly, he organizes his local militiamen and sends them up river to find out what is going on. In the meantime, he sends word to his superiors at Fort Snelling to prepare to reinforce and help defend the river valley.

Martian Scout Pod
    3 Martian Scout Pods

Minnesota Militia Scouting Party
    3 Infantry Squads
    Machine-Gun Squad
    MkII Baldwin Tanks
    MKIII Steamer Tanks
    MKIIc Command Tank

Scenario:
    The Militia is moving up the Minnesota River Valley to investigate reports of Martian Red Weed sighted in the area, and to see if it heralds the approach on the Martian invader into the Minnesota territory.

They have camped over night near the burned out ruins of a farmhouse. The troops are uneasy. They turn in with a single Platoon on guard duty. With the arrival of daybreak, they realize with horror that a Pod of Martian Scout Tripods was active in the area. The closest one had taken up a resting position in a nearby woods. As dawn arrives, both sides suddenly realize the close proximity they are to danger.

With startled shouts, the platoon on guard begins to wake their comrades and man the defenses. The Martian blasts his war horns and summons his fellows into battle!

Special Rules:
    Reserves- 2 Martian Scouts begin the game in reserve. Infantry units and the first Martian scout can take action immediately.

The game ends after the opposing army is broken.

Set-up:
    The Militia set-up on their half of the board. The Command Tank is placed anywhere within 12 inches of the short edge, and 24 inches in from the edge. All human units must be deployed within 8 inches of the command tank to represent the human camp.

The Martian Tripod is set-up on the opposite side within 6 inches of the short board edge and 12 inches from either side. They are set-up in a light wooded area.

Turn 1
    Initiative: Minnesotans
    The Minnesotans win Initiative. The Infantry scrambles for cover in the farmhouse ruins and the orchard, while the watch platoon prepares to fire on the revealed scout. The Command Tank moves over to the side of the ruins.

The Scout moves to the edge of the woods and waits, blowing his martian horns and waiting for reinforcements.

Turn 2
    Initiative: Martians
    A second scout appears from deeper in the woods and answers his friend's call. The first scout waits, while the second one moves up.

No more Minnesotans come to their comrades aid. The third platoon moves up towards the stream banks to dig in.

Turn 3
    The first scout breaks the woodline. He aims his Heat Ray at the troopers in the 1st Platoon near the stream. He fires. He hits with a 10, and the infantry element gets incinerated, but they stay put. The second scout burst through the woodline and prepares to surge forward.

The Minnesotans hold in cover and wait for the Scouts to approach. They ready their weapons.

Turn 4
    The two martians move closer to the 1st platoon, intent on incinerating them piecemeal. They open fire, the first misses his target element, but the second incinerates one of them. The last unit holds. One of the scouts moves towards the 2nd platoon.

In return the Minnesotans jump into the action. No reinforcements come to the battle. The command tanks 4-pounder booms out across the field of battle, but the shot goes wide. The last of 1st Platoon takes careful aim and fires. Most of the shots bounce off harmlessly, but one shot takes off a point of damage. 2nd platoon misses. They stay in cover.

Turn 5
    The first scout crosses the stream to engage 2nd Platoon. The other one moves to finish off 1st Platoon.
    The Valiant boys of 1st platoon are killed where they stand. The other scout tries to sweep 2nd Platoon, but misses. The first scout crosses back over the stream and takes cover in the brush.

The Minnesotans get ready to counter-attack the cautious scouts. They can almost hear their reinforcements rumbling up behind them. The 2nd Platoon opens fire with rifles and manages to damage the first scout again. The command tank again misses.

Turn 6
    The scouts move boldly across the stream now. Scout 2 opens fire on the command tank, but misses. The second scout misses a sweep on the 2nd Platoon. Scout 2 moves deeper into Minnesotan territory,while the first scout takes cover on the opposite side of the stream bed.

Both of the Tank platoons enter on the Minnesotan board edge. The Type II's are crushing the soy bean fields as they approach, while the threes move across the open ground. 2nd Platoon begins to fallback towards the Orchard while the command tank presses forward.

The Tanks open fire with a thunderous boom. Shells seem to ping harmlessly off the alien scout's carapace. 3rd Platoon and the machine-guns open up on the probing scout, but fail to damage it. The command tank's machine gun chatters away and blasts into the damaged Scout, damaging its Heat Ray.

Turn 6
    The Tanks finally hit the Scout deep in their territory and damage its legs. This time, the Scout martian is getting hammered by rifles and machine-guns to reduce it to 5 Armor. The Command Tank uses his machine-guns again and damages Scout #1.

The last Martian enters the battlefield. Scout #2, damaged and immobile uses his Heat Ray to sweep the ruins of the farmhouse. He kills 2 Infantry elements and 1 Machine-gun unit. The Machine-Gun squad is broken by the attack. Scout #1 tries to fire on the Command Tank and fails to fire. Scout #2 manages to stumble into the ruined farmhouse and completely break the machine-gun teams.

The remains of 3rd Platoon assault Scout #2 in the farmhouse. The MkII and III's move up. The assault fails as the tripod stands above it all. The tanks fire on the Tripod in the Farmhouse ruins, the barrage kills the Minnesotan platoon and only scratches the Tripod. The command tank fires his machine-guns at Scout #1 and fails to damage anyone.

Turn 7
    The MKIII tanks open fire on Scout in the farmhouse. Their shots find their mark and the alien explodes. Too bad the explosion catches the MkIII unit and causes two of them to explode as well. The Command tank riddles Scout #1 with machine-gun fire but fails to finish it.

The heavily damaged Scout #1 tripod retreats towards the wood line. Meanwhile, Scout #3 moves up. The Heat Ray of the Scout hits the Command Tank, but fails to damage it.

The MkIIs move up. The Command Tank retreats from the approaching Scout tank, but is still in front of his troops. As he withdrawls, he fires his 4-inch gun and hits the Scout directly in the eye causing it to be destroyed.

Conclusion
    With the destruction of his pod-mates, Scout #1 withdraws from the field, leaving it to the humans. It was critical that he reported the contact to his superiors.

The Minnesotans regroup around the Command tank. After picking over the remains of the destroyed Tripods, a few select pieces are sent by messenger back to Fort Ridgeley. High Commands' worst fears have been realized. The Martian menace has been confirmed in the Minnesota River Valley. With that, word went to Fort Snelling to begin gathering additional soldiers and forces for the coming campaign.

Humans win the initial engagement in the Minnesota River Valley.

Chapter Master

Brilliant stuff mate, almost tempted to dive into the big pile of boxes and start assembling mine now!

AQMF- Second Battle of Camp Release
    The presence of the Martian invaders in the Minnesota River Valley had been confirmed. The commander at Fort Ridgeley immediately sent additional troops up river to reinforce and garrison Camp Release. It was at Camp Release where the Minnesota Volunteers had managed to push back initial Martian scout Tripods.

As the Reinforcements moved up river, they were ambushed by a hunting Pod of aliens. The troops were caught between the Martians and the river as the huge alien machines reared up from the forest and advanced.

Martian Ambush Pod
    2 Martian Scout Pods
    1 Assault Pod

Minnesota Militia Scouting Party
    3 Infantry Squads
    Machine-Gun Squad
    MkII Baldwin Tanks
    MKIII Steamers
    MKIIc Command Tank

Scenario:
    The Militia is moving up the Minnesota River Valley to reinforce Camp Release. The river is on the left of their column, and the forest is 10 inches in from the right long board edge. The Humans are in the approximate middle of the board. The Martians can be placed anywhere within the tree line.

The game ends after the opposing army is broken or 6 turns.

Set-up:
    The Militia set-up moving up the river in the middle of the board. Ann infantry screen is out front followed by the MKIIs, more infantry, the machine-gunners, and the MkIII. The commander is riding along to the river side of the column.

The Martians have the Assault Tripod moving to cut-off the column of troops. The two scout Tripods are sweeping in from the back edge.

Turn 1
    The Minnesotans win Initiative. The Militia quick move to face the approaching alien menace! The 4 inch guns on the MkII's and the command tank open fire on the leading tripod, but fail to phase it. The MKIII's fare no better against the Scouts. The infantry continues to move forward, while the tanks try to stay out of Sweep range.

The Martians lumber out of the cover of the Forest, slowing them down. However, they want to close the gap so they can sweep with their Heat Rays. The first Scout scorches the first two squads of Third Platoon into dust, but the last squad still wants revenge! The Assault Tripod pops one of the MkIIs, but his comrades keep steady. The Tripods press the attack!

Turn 2
    Initiative: Minnesotans.
    The rear of the column pours fire into the second scout tripod, attempting to bust it open. This time a shot form the MKIII's hits something vital and the Scout bursts into flames! A cheers goes up fromt eh human forces, but nothing else seems to stick. The Tanks move around to try to reduce incoming fire and get into firing positions later.

Undeterred by the destruction of their fellow, the Martians again move forward. The Assault Tripod fails to sweep the MkIIs, and the Scout misses the Command tank. With their poor shooting, the Martians scuttle away to reduce the number of incoming shots.

Turn 3
    The Scout moves a bit closer, but the bigger Tripods is happy where he is. The Scout manages to sweep and destroy both of the remaining MKII's this time. The Assault Tripod failed to hit the Command tank. The Tripods then retreat further up river.

The Minnesotan infantry move up to try and get into assault range. The tanks also move to attack range, but despite a lot of shooting at the Scout, nothing seems to penetrate its armored hood.

Turn 4
    The tanks form a solid firing line. Meanwhile, the Minnesotan infantry swarm out and two platoons attack the scout Tripod with grenades and elan. The tanks manage to damage the Assault Tripods steering mechanisms with a powerful barrage. The assault works a single armor point is removed from the Scout.

Martian retaliation is fearsome. The Scout walks away from the assault units, and the bigger tripod sweeps over the brave Minnesotans. The squads are killed, and the rest of the Militiamen flee in terror from the alien machines. The Scout also sweeps the MKIII's and destroys one. The Minnesotans are dwindling. The Scout advances trying to catch the last squad of Third Platoon and destroy them.

Turn 5
    The Minnesotans fall back away from the approaching alien. Perhaps the Scout was too aggressive as the MKIIIs pound the advancing machine and terror away armor and damage its Heat Ray.

The Assault Tripod hit the command tank in the flank with its Heat Ray, but the Tank survives the smoldering inferno. The Scout manages to gain control of its Heat Ray long enough to vaporize the remains of Third platoon.

With that, the Minnesotan commander orders all trooper to retreat. The tank crews abandon their vehicles and take cover near the brush covered banks of the river. The Scout Martian covers his larger brother as the two Martian Machines break off and head back into the cover of the forest. The Assault Tripod stumbles and stops as it jerkily moves away from the battlefield.

Conclusion
    This was a close battle. One scout was destroyed, the other was down to half, and the Assault Tripod was walking funny. The infantry went squish in this one, and gave up the game. The MKIII's are very impressive tanks. Too bad I like the MKII model so much, because the MKIII is FAR superior. I think I want to get my hands on another Starter Set to bulk out my forces a bit, but I am unsure how easy that is going be be forward.

The Minnesota Militia was unable to reinforce Camp Release, leaving it open for a potential Martian attack. Will the Martian invaders be able to over run the defenders of Camp Release? Will the Minnesotans keep the invaders from pressing down the Minnesota River Valley all the way to Fort Snelling? Stay tuned to find out!

Well, Alien Dungeon looks like it is finished as a company and All Quiet is probably gone too, for now. However, with xmas $$$ in hand I rushed to my FLGS and picked up a few more things.

1 Starter Set
    1 MkIV Monitor Tank
    1 Slaver tripod
    1 Blister of Drones
    1 Blister of Scorpion Drones

I tried to focus on things that I could not proxy with regular WWI models such as Field Guns, Artillery, WWI Infantry, etc.

Did anyone download the PDFs they had on the website?

I read them, but I guess I didn't save them.

I found the PDFs on the AQMF Free Forums.

I put together some of my second starter set and a Slaver....

Also, I went to my FLGS and they were sold out of Veteran Assault tripods. Therefore, I might have to build my own. Does anyone have decent pictures of the model compared to a normal tripod?

I managed to assemble the rest of my American Infantry for AQMF.

The motorcycles and field guns were a bit of a pain to get together right. Green Stuff and tweezers were required.

Fields Guns and Rough Riders for All Quiet on the Martian Front.

Nothing Special and basing is still needed. I am now that much closer to fighting the Battle of Camp Release in the Minnesota River Valley. Prior to the battle I still need to paint a Machine Gun squad, two infantry squads, a Martian Assault Tripod pod, and 6 Mk II tanks. At this rate, I should have those done by this time next year.

Up and at them boys!

Two platoons of Minnesota Militia and a Machine Gun support platoon for the Red River Valley campaign. Next up for painting is 6 MKII tanks to bolster the Militia's numbers.

Camp Release is defending the river flats to the west. The Great Woods has served as a detered as the tall trees hinder the Tripods movement. Therefore, the river valley is the easiest approach for the Martians.

It maybe the easiest, but Martian Tripods have been contacted moving through the woods to try and bypass the resistance of the "Prey-that-stings". As such, small towns near the River Valley have need to be reinforced as well. Simple earthworks and berms have been the most expedient way to prepare for potential Tripod attack.

Near the small town of Acton, to the North of Red River Valley; Tripods have been sighted approaching the town! They are at the edge of the Great Woods and near Oli Ulfson's Soybean fields.

Thankfully, the Minnesota Volunteers had managed to throw up a quick ring of earthworks around the outskirts of town.

The battle will commence soon!

American MkII Baldwin tanks.

The MkIII us soooo much better at fighting Tripods than the MKII. The plastic kit allows me to make either type. However, I just love the look of the MKII more. I have always been a style over substance guy. That finishes up my Americans except for the MKIV Monitor tank which is still in the box.

Onto the Tripods!

The Minnesota Volunteers had set up a fortified camp in the Minnesota River Valley at Camp Release. The River Valley would be the easiest approach for Martian tripods as the Great Woods made rapid Martian movement challenging. The Tripods had harassed relief columns and scouting patrols around Camp Release, but that wasn't the only place the Tripods could attack. The Minnesota Volunteers went about fortifying nearby towns with crude earthworks and mustering defense forces in the region.

This proved timely as a Martian scouting force lurched out of the woods at the edge of Acton, north of the Minnesota River Valley. Only a thin screen of Volunteers and hastily constructed Earthworks stood between the martians and the town.

Martian Scout Force
    3 Scout Tripods
    1 Assault Tripod with Green Gas Launcher

Minnesota Volunteers
    1 MkIIC Command Tank
    3 MarkII Baldwin Tanks
    1 battery of Field Guns
    1 support squad of HMGs
    3 Infantry squads
    2 Rough Rider squads

Earthworks are Def +3, A +2

Set-up
    The Martians emerged near the edge of the treeline west of Oli Ulafson's soybean fields. They spread out in a towering, red line.

The Volunteers were deployed to defend in depth. Our front, a squad of doughboys entrenched in some earthworks, while their squad mates took position in the Soybean fields. They were backed up but a line of Earthworks with the field guns, HMGs, and MKIIC tank dug-in. Behind them was the mobile reserve of tanks. The rough riders were hiding in the forest north of the fields.

Mission
    The Martians have 6 turns to try and break through to Acton or route the Minnesota Volunteers from the field. The Volunteers are trying to break the Martian forces first.

Turn 1
    Martian Initiative

Martians:
    The Tripods burst forth from the treeline, with the scouts forming a tripod wall in front of the Green Gas launcher.

The lead humans are just out of range, so the Tripods have to decide to move forward and weather a storm of shells, or wait? They decide to press forward conscious of their mission. They must get to the town before darkness sets in. They move forward once more.

Humans:
    The Humans elect to stay in position and ready their weapons. The decision to hold position means the Volunteers in the soybean fields are out of range still. However, the lead platoon fires from their entrenchments. The sound of a volley of rifle fire breask the pre-battle silence, and it is followed by a roar of gunfire as the rest of the Americans open fire.

A lucky shot from the rifleman damages the lead Scouts legs, causing it to move erratically. A cheer goes up from the Doughboys! The Field guns also manage to damage a second scout.
    The humans are content to hold their positions for now.

Turn 2
    Martians win

Martians:
    The martian invaders move forward at full speed. The first scout burns down two squads of 2nd Platoon with its heat ray. The remains of the platoon scatter and run, removing them as a threat. His fellow scout sweeps and kills a single squad of 3rd Platoon in the soybean field. They prepare their grenades for close assault. The Green Gas launcher takes out a squad of entrenched troopers from first platoon, but the unit holds.

The Martians ignore the humans and continue to move forward.

Humans:
    With the Tripods racing towards them the human commander begins to sweat. The Rough Rider squads burst from their hiding spots and race towards the nearest Scout. The 3rd Platoon turns around and charges into the Scout Tripod. 1st platoon stays entrenched where they are. The gunline hastily reloads and fires again!

The field guns fail to find a weak spot on the approaching lead Scout. The command squad and the tanks open fire and manage to ping the armor on the lead scout twice, but it isn't nearly enough to bring it down! The machine guns add their weight of fire, and take off three more armor chits, but the scout keeps coming! The dough boys of 3rd Platoon valiantly try to tie up the second scout with an assault, but fail to hit a weak point.

The Rough Riders close in on the Scouts. Meanwhile the Baldwin tanks move to try and physically block the shortest distance to Acton behind them.

Turn 3
    Martians win initiative again.

Martians:
    The lead Scouts race forward and are practically on-top of the Human defenders! The final scout tries to move, but ends up stumbling backwards. The Assault tripod also moves forward, but is wary of the Rough Riders.

The Assault Tripods Heat ray sweeps and takes out a Rough Rider element and squad from 3rd Platoon. 3rd Platoon decides to run for Acton in terror.

The lead scout sweeps the Baldwin tanks, but fails to damage any of them! The second tripod Heat Rays the HMGs in the earthworks and manages to kill one element, while the others rout in terror from the huge machine! The stumbling scout even manages to use its heat ray and kill a sqaud from 1st Platoon, but the units stays in its place.

The second scout races forward and routs the fleeing HMG squads. Next turn he will plunge into the town of Acton unless stopped! The first scout tries to go around the earthworks, and the Assault Tripod moves up to support the heavily damaged scout.

Humans:
    Things look grim, and only a miracle will protect the citizens of Acton! The tanks and Field Guns shuffle about to get a shot at the second Scout. Meanwhile the Rough Riders and Command Tank try to handle the first Scout.

The Rough Riders fire desperately and wildly at the first Tripod. They take off more armor and damage the Tripods Heat Ray. The Command tanks machine gun finally finds a gap int eh first scouts depleted armor, and tears into the machine mercilessly! The Tripod explodes spectacularly!

The Field Guns and Baldwin MkII tanks fire desperately at the second scout about to enter Acton, however, all of their shots either miss or ping harmlessly off the Scout's armored carapace. It looks like Acton will burn!

Seeing that the cause is lost, the Command Tank retreats into the town to flee and gives the signal to withdraw. The MkII Baldwins try to follow suit, but are still at the edge of the town.

Conclusion
    With that we decide to call the game.

The Minnesota volunteers abandon their dug-outs and retreat to a pre-selected rally point. The undamaged Scout and Assault Tripod make short work of the town Acton, as the civilians flee for their lives. At Fort Ridgeley, they can see the horizon to the North glow red from the flames of the town. Meanwhile, command now needs to worry about marauding Tripods bypassing the Minnesota River Valley completely and mkaing a bead for Fort Snelling and the capital at St. Paul.

So, how did things go? Well as the Volunteers player, I completely botched using the Rough Riders in this one. Ideally they needed to tie up some of those fast moving scouts, but by the time I had them moving, it was too late. The Tripods had penetrated to deeply and too quickly. Also, the HMGs routing when they did put a huge hole in my battleline that the Scout easily walked through. I feel like the first Scout took a horrendous pounding, soaking up 9 hits before exploding! However, that was off-set by the third Tripod having its legs crippled early so things balanced out in the end. My MKII Baldwins also held up to some punishment! If I would have used my Rough Riders better, this game could have been much different.

I was not that impressed by the Green Gas Launcher on the Assault Tripod. The Area of Effect is not good enough and the Black Dust Launcher seems like a much better buy, and looks cooler too! Other than that, the speed of the Scouts did the trick this game. If my opponent only had Assaults, I would have had another turn or two to hold the Red Menace off and maybe make a difference. Oh well.

Martian Victory

The Americans aren't the only ones getting some reinforcements.

Three new Assault Tripods from my second starter set.

All I have left from my haul to complete now is:
    3 Scorpion Drones- Still in box
    3 Drones- Partially assembled
    1 MKIV Tank- In Box
    1 Slaver Tripod- Basecoat

I guess I better get to my FLGS and see if they have anything left still.

Look what I found at my FLGS!

They had a starter set too, but I decided that I had enough of those for the moment. If it is still there after I get these and my drones painted, maybe I will pick it up.

With the Fall of Acton, High Command at Fort Snelling became concerned about a possible martian advance across the Great Woods. They began to marshal additional forces in and around St. Paul and to dig entrenchments around the Capital. it was now understood that the Martians could attack anywhere along the River Valley or deeper. Rough Rider patrols and observation balloons were deployed to locate and report back the location of any roving enemy units. It was a dangerous mission, and many of these scouts never returned.

Beaver creek winds through a series of high-banked bluffs before entering the Minnesota Rover Valley and eventually feeding the river itself. There is only one easy ford to cross the Beaver Creek to proceed up river. Members of the Minnesota Volunteers have entrenched in the area to support reinforcement and evacuation efforts up and down the River Valley. Since the Ford is a vital location, troops are dug-in to defend in an emergency, but mostly to keep the flow of traffic across the river moving.

A company of MkII Baldwins from Fort Ridgeley were scheduled to move up and cross the ford around 1PM. This company was to proceed up and relieve the force stationed at Camp Release. it was standard practice to rotate units from front-line to reserve line duty at regular intervals. This helped keep men and machines fresh and in fighting trim.

At approximately 12:15, Doughboys from the 3rd platoon assigned to the Beaver Creek Ford reported strange, loud noises coming from upstream. The sergeant peeled off a few scouts to investigate. Before the scouts could return and report, the distinctive armored hood of a Martian Tripod was observed by the Field Artillery crews on Father Hennepin Hill. The Tripod was approaching from upstream. Runners were dispatched to the Company Commander, Lt. Nix.

Before Lt. Nix even received the news, Martian Tripods burst through cover and shrubbery from further North up the Beaver Creek and descended on the surprised Minnesota Volunteers. If the Ford falls, Camp Release will be isolated and cut-off from their supply lines. That would be disastrous for the defense efforts int eh region and Leave Fort Ridgeley open to Martian attack.

The Battle will commence soon!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast